After getting to spend a little quality time with Ice-T behind-the-scenes at Hip Hop Honors, there were a few other highlights from the evening that won’t be broadcast on tonight’s show.
* “You Already Knew It, But Didn’t Want to Know It”: Ice-T and Coco have mirrors over their bed.
* Requisite Britney Spears Reference: Salt N’ Pepa made mention of the pop-wreck and the perils of fame when they visited the press room.
* Best advice for up-and-coming artists looking for guidance from their elders: “Not f*cking up $400,000.” — WHODINI
* Mos Def will star as Grandmaster Busy Bee in a biopic of the MC’s life.
* Andre Harrell wants to make the story of New Jack Swing into a Broadway musical.
In addition to the upcoming projects and cautionary tales, some felt moved to comment on the state of hip-hop:
“Hip-hop’s getting raggedy. It’s not quality music anymore.” — Snoop
“I feel like a lot of criticism has been made about hip-hop over the past year. Some of it was quite public, over the past few weeks, in terms of mock battles between artists and their record sales. A lot of people are questioning the substance, and speaking as one of the members of A Tribe Called Quest, I’m happy that part of our legacy was that we were about positivity, music and being substantive and including all people.” — Q-Tip
Hip Hop Honors: Red Carpet Footage!
Hip Hop Honors: Behind the Scenes with Spinderella
Hip Hop Honors: Backstage Pics
Hip Hop Honors: Red Carpet Pics
Hip Hop Honors: Show Pics
2007 VH1 Hip Hop Honors Site