Examining Rehab with Dr. Drew (Finale)

celebrity_rehab_9_8.jpg

Dr. Drew’s weekly commentary on Celebrity Rehab wraps up in this post. Below, the hardest-working doctor in showbiz gives his impressions of each of the celebs as they leave rehab, how they’ve held up since and what he thinks the future holds for them.

Before we get to the patients, can you explain the major differences between the program we saw these people in, and a sober-living program?

Sober-living doesn’t have doctors and nurses. It doesn’t have programs throughout the day. It’s just a living environment with a meeting in the morning and then a meeting in the evening. This is the same model of treatment we use in the psychiatric hospital, we just have more difficult or unstable patients in a hospital environment.

And how does out-patient treatment fit in?

Out-patient is the same model we use, but you go home at night. Out-patient is for patients who are highly motivated with, hopefully, no co-existing psychiatric problems, who are willing to go to meetings at night and maintain their own structure, rather than having it maintained for them. It’s really the rare patient that can do out-patient treatment and get well. Typically, we think of it as stepping down. It’s a lower intensity of services, as you transition back to your life.

And now, let’s get your final impressions of the celebs as they were leaving rehab. First up is Seth.

celebrity_rehab_9_7.jpg

Seth is sick, he knows he needs structure, God bless him. Best of luck. Go with God.

Brigitte

celebrity_rehab_9_9.jpg

I really thought she was going to have more trouble than she did. She was unraveling a bit there at the end. She was getting aggressive and irritable. She was demeaning the process a little bit, which wasn’t explicit, but I could feel it from her. But God bless her. She wanted to do it her way. In my mind, it was possible she’d be OK. If Seth said that to me: impossible! If Jessica said that: impossible! Brigitte: possible, but bad idea. My hopes for all of them who had a B- plan, was that they’d contact me if they got into trouble. That they’d stay in the game. I don’t care so much that they follow my directions now, I just don’t want them to spiral out with their disease and lose everything they’ve got.

Chyna

celebrity_rehab_9_10.jpg

Chyna makes a breakthrough, Chyna makes a commitment. I had a vivid moment with her off-camera. They served us an Italian dinner right after graduation. Some of the patients drove off and some stayed and ate. Chyna was one of the ones who stayed. I was standing next to her and she was in a more positive aspect than I’d ever seen in her entire treatment. She seemed very upbeat. I talked to her about seeing the doctor, she told me, “Absolutely, I need it.” We talked some more about her art therapy, which was so vivid, all these splintered aspects of herself that she couldn’t integrate into the whole. And then nothing. I hope she does end up doing what she said she would. She really needs it.

Ricco

celebrity_rehab_9_11.jpg

I believed him when he said he was serious. He had to be. I just wasn’t clear that it would be enough. I didn’t believe he was going to go to meetings. That was my greatest concern. He was saying things that were enough to keep someone sober – people get and stay sober by doing what he was saying that he was going to do. I didn’t believe it. But he did it. It’s really hard to do that: go to two meetings a day, get a sponsor, etc. People just don’t do that. But his feet are being held to the fire with the legal problems, and it helped motivate him.

Jamie

celebrity_rehab_9_12.jpg

There was absolutely no doubt in my mind that she was going to light up within a couple of days. I really felt sad about that, because I didn’t see how we could get her back in the game. She did some really good work, and a lot of it didn’t get on TV, and at times, I had real affection and respect for her. She’s a really substantial person. To see her just throw in the towel, it just made me feel awful.

Our relationship really fell apart at the end. She and I were at loggerhead. She was lying and doing all the addict stuff, and I was just too frustrated. I couldn’t get through it. At that point, you just throw up your hands and say, “Whatever.” At that late hour? You’re on your game till the end, and then all this nonsense? It was a horrible sign. She was throwing up crazy roadblocks, and saying some crazy stuff that you don’t see on TV. She was going, “You don’t understand this, but in TV…” And I was like, “Uh, I think I have some knowledge of television.” It was getting to a level that I couldn’t believe she brought me to. It was petty and ridiculous and I had it: if you don’t want to go, fine. Don’t go.

But say she really did have a contract that she needed to fulfill?

Oh, that happens all the time. Here’s what you do: you first go, “OK, horrible idea. You’re allowing unimportant issues to erode the priority of your health and survival. Bad sign. Bad thing. We’ll see you back in the hospital in time.” As soon as the sobriety becomes less of a priority, you’ve got problems. You’re gonna be in trouble. But I work with patients. I treat musicians all the time, and magically, they come into me a month before they go on tour. We get them hooked up with programs, we do the best we can. Every situation is different. But it’s always a struggle, and it’s rarely successful.

Mary

celebrity_rehab_9_14.jpg

Mary was in and out and in and out and in and out. When I look at what she was doing now on TV, I didn’t know the half of it. I’m pissed: what do you mean you’re going to Mr. Chow after all this? Mary, what the hell? To see her make a commitment was a huge relief.

Jessica

celebrity_rehab_9_15.jpg

Jessica needed sober-living maybe more than anybody, but certainly as much as Seth. Those two were our hardest core drug addicts, and they need hardcore treatment over a long period of time. If they don’t go to treatment, they are in trouble.

So, three patients say yes to sober living, but four say no. That’s a bittersweet end, no?

Here’s what I love about the show: it just goes down. No one manipulated anything. When the reunion show came together, it was that same thing. “How are we gonna do this? How can we make this TV?” Finally the producers just said, “Let’s see what happened.” I thought, that’s exactly right. That’s exactly why this show has been successful: you just let it go. It is what it is. And that’s what treatment is. Not everybody goes to sober-living. Very few people go to sober-living. Sober-living is not the absolute answer for everybody. Brigitte is living-proof of that. It’s just generally the case: the longer the treatment, the more the structure, the longer it’s sustained, the better the outcome. For decades, people have gotten sober just showing up in meetings. Just putting their ass in a seat. That’s really all you have to do.

Learn more about the patients’ progress and where they are in their recoveries by tuning into the Celebrity Rehab Reunion next Thursday (March 13) at 10/9c.

1. DAVE7007 says:

NASTY LOOKING )@%*@ S….JUST SHOWS YOU MONEY DOESNOT GIVE YOU CLASS…

2. David Love says:

To Daniel Baldwin……what a CROCK!!!!! You are looking for any excuse and using anything and anybody as an excuse to leave! You are a phoney man. Get a grip!

3. Derrick Dymond says:

I hope this can be forwarded to Dr. Drew!

Dr. Drew,

I am sorry this comment is not in the appropriate spot on your website, but it is not clear how to navigate to the right section. My comment (or critisizm) is about your `&% istant, (forgive me, her name doesn’t come to mind as I watch your latest episopde as I write)! Buy the way, you xoncept is 100% sound and WILL be successful, but your 1st 5 episodes I have seen, I think your “Assistant”-Gal needs to express some more ‘bed-side-manner”, …. Although, I am sure I am not the first to say, and I hope this is not news to the point that this is part of the (or your) strategy. My only point is that on TV, it seems to be un-answered with her! Something to think about, although I am sure I am at least 6 months-to 1 year- behind!…

Goodluck, Your concept is absolutlely helpful in more ways than I am sure you have thought of! _ WELL DONE!

Derrick

4. Michelle says:

Quite an unexpected reaction to Celebrity Rehab. I really respected how this show was produced and for the first time ever I saw Celebrity’s just being people/themselves. Though in some aspects I understand they were all performing at certain points, overall they felt more genuine than I ever would have expected. It did not feel sensationalized, and I felt Dr.Drew was also genuine and did not appear to be exploiting them, nor did the show itself appear to exploit them. It was done tastefully and I came to care about each of them. Bridgette in particular I gained a lot of respect for, she came across in such a way as I have never before seen and she seemed like a real caretaker and that she really wanted to be someone who her kids and herself could be proud of. I wish them all the best.

5. Alandra Roberts says:

I just wanted to say i watched the season finale and it made me cry so much dr drew pinski is amazing the compassion and love that he has for theese people i also wathched the reunon show and the scene where he went to go get jessica sierra from florida really just made me fall apart he is an amazing person i will stayed tunned for season 2 keep up the good work you do dr drew

6. Tracey says:

Your *show* is a complete joke. These peole are obviously in need of serious help, and need cameras REMOVED from their everyday lives in order to get better. They dont need *YES* men around them ,they need more people who tell them what they need to hear.
    If anyone.. in any rehab… anywhere in the country …threw the fits that these people did, they would be kichked out immediatley . They know how to pull your chains, the fact that they are celebs AND addicts makes it worse. They are total manipulators. You babysit them and cater to them like they are signing your paycheck…………HHHMMM,… it always boils down to that.
    I would have never gotten sober in an environment like yours. But, its not about that is it??? its about entertainment. Just think of the ratings you will get if someoen actually commits suicide on camera.
    It is such an unkind thing to do to these people.
    I will never watch your show
    or any network that carries it.

7. Tracey says:

The sad thing is.. if Jeff Conway or any of the others werent famous… none of you would care. It is only the capability to make money from their illness that sparks interest.
    SEnd him to my place, I will get him sober… Ill tell him, sit down, shut up, and do what I say. He doesnt get any say in it right now. You people allow them to throw fits and call their agents. YOU ARE KILLING THEM!!!!!! Someone has to take the reigns, they need it , until they are able to make decisions that dont kill them.
    maybe you guys can find some celebs with crones disease or cancer and watch thier every move and broadcast it to America.

8. Matthew says:

I’m glad these folks are getting help, but where are the celebrities? i think I’d recognize celebrities. All I see is Gary Busey (with one good film) and everyone else – the list of Who’s Not.

Which is fine – no need to be famous. May want to retitle the show so that it’s accurate.

9. Will says:

How is Jeff Conaway doing? I know that he had been in pain for some time and I pray that he is doing better. Hope to hear his conditioned has improved and that he is free from pain or anything else that may be bothering him.

10. Margie says:

We MUST have follow up on Rodney King. I’m 55 yrs old and have seen many things but I am still shocked when I see, hear or even think about his incident with the LA Police. Out of everyone, I believe Rodney will survive his addiction. Follow up…..PLEASE

11. itsmedee says:

..great show…can’t wait for more…cried so many times…i could feel the pain & the difficulty in making choices that we DON’T KNOW!! if they are right but it’s what we KNOW!! An addicts mind is just so different..unless you have been there you just don’t get it!!! But we DON’T either!!!