Keys Talks Despair, Sex and Gangsta Rap

Alicia_KeysPiano-playing siren Alicia Keys recently opened up to Blender magazine on everything from her conspiracy theories to her sexual side on her latest album, As I Am. Here are a few of the things we learned from Blender‘s cover story.

1. Alicia Keys almost lost her mind to make this record. “I’m the best wall builder that ever lived. These people were coming at me, asking me things, and they really didn’t care about me, but I had to give them everything. What did I have left for myself?” The result was that both Keys and her music got dark and weird. “I was hanging off the edge of a cliff. Something had to give, or I was gonna lose my mind.”

2. Gangsta Rap is a government tool. “Gangsta rap was a ploy to convince black people to kill each other,” says Keys.

3. Alicia’s discovered her sexual side. “I’m discovering my sexual side. I recorded this song – it’s supersimple: just piano, Rhodes keyboard and a kick drum. It’s so sensual. It moves you,” she says. Jeff Robinson, her manager, wasn’t exactly a fan: “he popped out of his seat halfway through. He said: ‘we do not record songs like this!’”

1. Emily says:

And I suppose country music was a ploy to convince white people to divorce each other and have bar fights? Or emo music a ploy to convince high schoolers to commit suicides over their miserable lives? Or hardcore music a ploy to deafen an entire generation?

You have GOT to be kidding me, that’s just ridiculous.

2. Chuck Woolery says:

Yet another biracial entertainer who has disregarded the culture of the white parent who raised the entertainer in question and has run to the black side that abandoned the child. Stable home, moral values, and a rich culture, bad; AK-47′s, gangsta lifestyles, and immorality, good. THis is called “actin’ chimpy”.

3. hereIambaby says:

she is a style of wonder and beauty. I guess a women can get out of jail and style look fabulous.i signed in the site ~~blackcentury.com~~ and some men were talking about her and said she is attractive.

4. Stephanie says:

I saw a suggestive picture of Alicia and what seemed to be a gay lover on the internet, she had her hand on her neck – very masculine gesture – lesbianish. I think Alicia suffers because she can’t be open about her homosexuality, in the same way that Ricky Martin or Clay Aiken may suffer. Not being able to explore their dirty little secret freely. For it not to matter, you have to be selling your music only, not your backside and dance moves. Today it’s about selling your sex. I don’t think any African American performer can come out of the closet, it’s hard enough to be a minority of color, it’s not acceptable in the culture. Oh well. She makes one hot lesbian that’s for sure.

5. Mike Belgrove says:

Alicia is a talented artist but I think it’s pretty safe to say that she is an idiot.

I first read about her interview with Blender from my fellow blogger Juan Perez over on Highbrid Nation. I couldnt beleive it. I had always thought she was smart. Little did I know. In reality she is a cross between a Black Panther and a %#%)%^ she still looks good though ;).

6. Blkwido says:

I agree w/stephanie-for so long I have been telling my friends that Keys is in the closet. I think she is beautiful as well as talented

7. Lindsey says:

i agree with chuck. nevermind your white mother raised you and your black father left you.

8. shawnthel says:

hey alicia keys i love that dress your inspiring to me I love your songs

9. Daina says:

Hey Alicia I love that dress your wearing.

10. michah says:

hi alicia keys u r rocking that dress.

11. jazmine says:

that is so true i totally true i totally agree with her