Mariah On Leona: No Similarity

Though Mariah Carey topped the charts this week with her latest E=MC2, she may be feeling the heat from the new batch of talented singers, particularly Leona Lewis, who occupies the number two slot after dominating the charts last week. Mimi’s been asked about the similarities, and as you can see from the photo above, they do bear more than a slight resemblance.

In an interview, Mariah responded to the constant comparisons that have plagued her for the length of her twenty-year career, and also to Ms. Lewis specifically. “Honestly, there has been so many, this is the new her, and I’m like, OK, show me the new her…I’m not particular talking about this girl Leona, because I only heard her once and I didn’t really hear a true similarity, particularly in the style of music.”

Sounds like Ms. Mimi’s a bit defensive there. She went on to say that she prays to lose “the spirit of jealousy.” We bet knocking Leona out of the chart’s top spot helps with that, but as for her “no similarity” claim, really, Mariah? Not the hair? Not the young age you both started at, the multi-octave voice or the fact that you came up in difficult circumstances? OK, Mims. Whatever you say.

1. SoloSoldier says:

I like MiMi better… don’t really get into karoaoke contest participants. MiMi came up the hard way so she has my support.

2. i'm sorry... says:

i love leona, but she looks like a drag queen in that picture. lol. I love mimi also and think they are both great, but as far as musical similarities go, leona is more similar to early mariah, and even then, not a huge similarity. go mariah, love the new album!

3. Sugar says:

I like MC…and I like LL too…and i think they are both beautiful but i think that LL is slightly prettier than MC…but music-wise i love MC….and yes they do have certain similarities….

4. pinl says:

i love Mariah Carey . beautiful woman, you are making a great thing! did you joined I n t i m a t e m i n g l e DOT o m a site for free interracial people to date sexy women? I just found that many people here keep talking it these days! I need the answer from you!

5. Harold says:

DHiSz PPL HAV3 2 StOP COMPARiN’ MARiAH 2 L3ONA…DAt’Sz JHUSz NOt RiGHt MARiAH CAR3y iSZ MARiAH CAR3y Nd L3ONA L3WiS iSz L3ONA L3WiS…Bt 2 t3LL U DA tRU3 i LUV MARiAH BEtt3R MiMi ISz DA B3St!!!!!! 2 PROV3 it GO Gt HER NEW ALBUM E=MC²!!!! Nd DOWNLOAd HER 18 #1 SinGLE “TOUCH MY BODY” Nd HER NEW SiNGLE “BYE BYE” ON iTUNES!!!!!

6. JENISE says:

Don’t play……………MC looks 100x better than leona………leona looks cracked out, old, and way too tanned with a bad boob job! and her singing is nothing to MC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Shannon says:

Basic black is an Audrey Hepburn trademark and I think that hairstyle that a young Mariah had on is more a young Julia Roberts trademark than a Mariah one because I’ve seen it in “Mystic Pizza” and “Pretty Woman” and both of those old classic films were out before “Vision of Love” even hit the airwaves.

And music-wise, Leona’s sound is “gospel-tinged”, not “Mariah-tinged”. Mariah didn’t create the going up the scale “Whoawhoawhoa!” or going down the scale “Yeahyeahyeah!” or whatever melisma there is in R&B music, all of that was created by the artists who sang gospel music.

8. blog.vh1.com says:

Mariah on leona no similarity.. Dandy :)

9. Well done, this was very interesting to read. Have you ever considered submitting articles to article directories?

10. blog.vh1.com says:

Mariah on leona no similarity.. He-he-he :)