Dr. Drew Is Like a Nazi, Says Lawyer

Recent comments Dr. Drew‘s made about Tom Cruise and Scientology have landed him in hot water with one of Tom’s people. In the upcoming issue of Playboy, the Celebrity Rehab guru says:

“A lot of people in the public eye who behave strangely have mental illness we can learn from, and much of it is based on childhood trauma, without a doubt. Take a guy like Tom Cruise. Why would somebody be drawn into a cultish kind of environment like Scientology? To me, that’s a function of a very deep emptiness and suggests serious neglect in childhood – maybe some abuse, but mostly neglect.”

It’s definitely more bold than Dr. Drew’s usual media commentary, which tends to be more practical than speculative. That said, the response of Tom’s lawyer, Bert Fields, puts Drew’s liberty taking to shame:

“This unqualified television performer who is obviously just looking for notoriety is so grotesquely unprofessional as to pretend to diagnose Tom and others without ever meeting them. He seems to be spewing the absurdity that all Scientologists are mentally ill. The last time we heard garbage like this was from Joseph Goebbels.”

So Drew calls Scientology a cult (which, come on, it is!) and he gets called a Nazi? Yeah, that’s fair. Way to help your case and ensure that people will take you seriously, Bert. [New York Post]

Update: Via his rep, Dr. Drew responds: “Dr. Drew meant no harm to Mr. Cruise and apologizes if his comments were hurtful.”

1. Tricia says:

NAZI my ass hes just speaking the truth! Tom cruise is KING OF THE CUCKOOS and MICHEAL JACKSON IS THEIR FEARLESS LEADER IN TRAINING! THEY BOTH BELONG IN NUT HOUSES!! WE DON’T SEE JOHN TRAVOLTA ACTING LIKE A PSYCHO ON NATIONAL TV and HE PRACTICES the SAME SHAMELESS CULT!! TOM CRUISE JUST LOVES THE SPOTLIGHT ON HIM THATS WHY HE ACT LIKE A NUT WITH HIS KING OF THE CUCKOOS SELF!

2. Anonymom says:

Holy crap the Scilons Godwinn’d in real life.
    EXCELLENT.

3. Ray Smith says:

He can call Scientology a cult, but doesn’t see anything cult-like with AA? C’mon Dr. Drew.

4. Maria says:

First off, people are allowed to state their opinion, no matter what about. Secondly, stating that certain behaviors may have links to things that may have happened in one’s life is NOT an actual diagnosis. It’s just a guess. And lastly, I’ve worked alongside many different types of therapists on a professional level…Dr Drew seems to be one of the wisest, and best therapists I’ve ever heard of. This is annoying. Sure, everyone wants to make a buck…this IS America, afterall. Sheesh. Tom is such a little whiny baby.

5. chris k says:

Tom Cruise in a guy who made a few great movies 20 years ago but he needs to go away for good.

6. Lynda Bateman says:

Hey Maria, does ‘worked’ mean what we think it means? In which case thanks for the diagnosis.

7. Truthy says:

The one person truly in need of an intervention is of course Dr. Pinsky.
    If you disagree with him — then your simply sick — this speaks volumes about this frighting, damaging man.

8. Jeff Wright says:

Its time that somebody calls out this snake medicine salesman for what he is; a celeb seeking manipulator, his odius comments reflect his view that virtually anything that doesnt make sense to him is suspect and…. most likely the result of abuse or at least neglect. It must be an awful burden to know everything. He simply should be shunned and avoided.

9. TWRS says:

i am not surprised at all.I saw him weeks ago via webcam. I was contacted by him first on a celeb site called ‘Searching Millionaire dotcom’! I also got several of his pix.
    it’s common to meet celebrities on that site. That’s why I joined it recently

10. Belle says:

I have never “worked” in the addiction “industry” but I have been around it most of my life and I started watching Celebity rehab with Dr Drew with interest.

I was naive enough to believe because the patients for the most part have money they would quite naturally have the best in treatment and doctors.

What a joke.

There are so many issues that its impossible to cover them all so I will comment only on the “staff” reaction to a food fight by the patients in the final days of treatment.

Dr Drew ( AND his uh staff ) appeared completely lost and made it clear that in his opinion these patients were lost. I realize it was likely not ONLY a food fight but that was their main problem.

Give me a break.
    Was it rude, childish and even disrespectful ?..YEP.!!! It was also a “cut loose and have fun” reaction to some who were probably reacting to their own fear of their swiftly arriving departure.

Instead of trying to work through it Dr Drew and his staff went into full “I’ve had enough…pity me” mode and simply fell apart. If a food fight sent them into that much of a tizzy then they are certainly not cut out to be Doctors or counsellors in a treatment facility.

The entire process looked like a cross between a practise session for the staff’s first experience with any kind of treatment but especially addiction ..AND…a screen audition for some not very talented actors.(meaning the “staff”)

Maybe the answer would be for the staff to seek treatment from the patients ( who incidentally seemed to be in control of any “real” treatment of each other.)

What qualified Doctors, counsellors would spend the final days of their patients treatment whining that “they” ( the staff) just cant handle it anymore…

pfft.

11. Joseph says:

Tom Cruise needs to apologize to Dr. Drew. He slandered/attacked a doctor & his profession with ridiculous comparisons to Nazism. I would like to shake Tom Cruise like a british nanny, and remind him that this “fair game” nonsense doesn’t work in the real world … it only works in cults.

12. DAVE7007 says:

DUMBASSES…..FIRST OFF, ..TOM CRUISE IS A QUEER…HE IS A HOMO….EVERYONE IN HOLLYWOOD KNOWS IT…BUT IT IS A SECRECT BECAUSE HE IS A LEADING MAN….HE IS A FRIGGING NUT….ANYONE WHO BELIEVES IN SCIENTOLGY IS A NUT!!…LOL….ANYTIME THESE CELIEBS BELIEVE IN SOMETHING YIOU KNOW IT IS BS…..LOL.;..CRUISE IS LIKE PATRICK SWAZEY…THEY ARE TOUGH GAY GUYS….LOL…THAT IS WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE IN THE ROLES THEY PLAY……LOL…TOUGH QUEERS FIGHTING ON THE MOVIE SCREEN……LOL

13. DAVE7007 says:

14. Marie says:

Speaking first hand as a mother of a recovering addict I have to say, part of the problem with drug addiction goes hand in hand with Doctor’s so freely handing out RX for anti-depressants. Now I know that will not be a popular statement. But how is one to tell the difference between what’s legal (good), and what’s not? Simply speaking, if your dependant, your dependant. Doctor’s are a part of the problem with drug addiction in this country. First, my child was on anti-depressants, then, moved to the hard stuff. If a Doctor says it’s OK to take antidepressants, this will help you, why would someone get it in their mixed up mind that it’s not OK to pop or shoot up something that’s not legal? Either way we know popping something into your mouth will not make it all better. We all must face our shortcomings, flaws and faults. We show no love or forgiveness in this world. I think Dr. Drew, and I use the term loosly, Dr. that is, is just making a name for himself. Would he reach out to my child if she/he needed help? I have a big problem with “reality” TV.

15. DAVE7007 says:

MARIE,
    YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT!!…FIRST OFF THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ADDICTION.,..NEVER HAS BEEN…BUT THERE IS A LOT OF WEAK COW3ARDLY PEOPLE WHO NEED TO GROW UP….DOCS ARE PARTLY RESPONSIBLE YOU ARE RIGHT….THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS DEPRESSION…THE KID JUST NEEDS A GOOD `!&((+!#**~`~!+ BEATING AND MADE TO GROW UP…..DONOT TAKE ANY PILLS…THE DRUG COMPANIES AND DOCS ARE IN THIS TOGETHER……DR DREW IS A BS DOC..NOT REAL, YOU ARE RIGHT AGAIN….THESE DUMBASSES ON HERE BELIEVE ALL KINDS OF BS…

16. Sandy says:

OMG a Nazi? I only could wish to have had such an awesome Dr. who cared about his patients. He cared and fought hard for them……………….Tom Cruise is the one who needs to appologize

17. Rob says:

Anyone else notice that his Celebrity Rehab page is full of ads for Smirnoff flavored vodka! Prost!

18. John says:

I think he is dead on about his comments regarding Jolie and Cruise. The American public is so naive when it comes to celebrities. Just because we like the roles they play, the music they produce, or the sports records they set, we believe that they are role models. The only reason Michael Jackson gets away with his behavior is because we have be told that be is artistic he is a little different…..plus he has the money to cover up the things he does. Note Cruise didn’t comment-his lawyer did. Because they are cash cows like Anna Nicole Smith, their handlers keep them in whatever it takes to get them to perform and in the case of Brittany Spears. they have an army of lawyers to get them out of trouble. Ozzie Osbourne is another example, they parade an obviously mentally ill drug addict out on TV and make him look like just a crazy kookie harmless guy………If you abused an animal like they use celebrities PETA would be all over them.

At least Dr. Drew is trying to help these people and shoing that there are serious issues behind their offscreen behavior. Face we are a nation of enablers….

19. Cheryllepearl says:

It is amazing that the other patients did not recognize Rodney King. Most Black people could recognize him on the spot. The other patients mistakened Mr. King as a professional athlete. What the hell is that? And they want to know why Black people seem angry. The man received the !^&~&`&`&~+!(`! whoooping of the century. Where the hell were they? And they say we (black and whites) don’t live in separate Americas. I was so offended when I saw the first episode, it drove me to tears.

20. mommmabear58 says:

I hope dr. drew sees this. I am addicted to oxy’s for 3yrs now. they are given to me as a script for irretractable pain. is it feesible for me to get off this drug, or should I stat on it cause I need to? please help me. I fought against it before and now have come to grips with me needing to be on it. so please contact me, cause if I can get off, I want you, dr.drew to help me pleaseeee…..

21. Ann says:

IM APPAULED BY THIS SHOW. I CAN’T BELIEVE DR.DREW DOESN’T DOSE DOWN HIS PATIENTS! I HAVE A DEGREE IN PSYCHOLOGY AND EVEN THOUGH ITS ONLY A B.S. IN PSYCHOLOGY I AM WELL AWARE THERE ARE TREATMENT CENTERS THAT DOSE ADDICTS DOWN OFF THEIR MEDICATIONS. SEEING THAT MODEL IN THE HALLWAY WITH A TRASH CAN, SHAKING NEEDLESSLY REALLY ANGERS ME. HIS METHODS ARE CRUEL AND UNUSUAL AND I CAN’T HELP BUT WONDER IF THIS IS ALL FOR THE RATINGS INSTEAD OF THE WELFARE OF THE CELEBS RECOVERY.

22. Pfft. says:

Someone is upset because people did not recognize Rodney King.?
    Are they serious? pfft.

Why should he be recognized? Anyone whose celbrity status comes from mouthing off and then getting a whuppin from the police should neither be recognized nor celebritized except possibly on a wanted poster.

He is not alone. Many celebrities are a joke but whining that the white fold dont recognize him is ludicrous….. Well maybe not.

If your life is taken with watching the soaps and goggling at u-tube…then I guess Old Rodney could be classed as a celebrity of sorts..

Right up there with Dr. Drew and his cohorts who need to throw a real celebrity name out there to get some attention…. pfft

Saturday Night Live vs. Celebrity rehab. I’ll take SNL any day.

23. stacie says:

Does anyone know which counseling approach he uses in his show, I believe he uses the Minnesota Model but I could be mistaking it for client-accountability.

24. KAY says:

I HAVE BEEN WATCHING CELEBRITY REHAB SINCE THE NEW SEASON STARTED. I’M A HUGE FAN OF DR.DREW WORK, TO HELP PEOPLE THAT IN NEED OF HIS HELP. I HAVE FAITH IN ALL OF THE CELEBRITY THAT ARE TRYING TO MAKE A CHANGE IN THERE LIVES. I’M A HUGE SUPPORTER OF RODNEY KING I KNOW YOUR GOING MAKE IT AND I LOVE YOU TO JEFF LOL .

25. Amber says:

The reality of Dr. Drew Celebrity Rehab I thought was overdone until I saw Steven with his mother and her mother denying responsibility…
    I related and it became true…
    We are addicts, we are responsible to get better regardless of anyone it would sometimes help if those that were near us or who new us,,,did not harm us more.
    I had to leave all of my family to stay well…my mother wants me sick I am her reason to not look at her insanity.
    I pity her and am grateful for my family in recovery and those I meet today not in recovery – they see a different Amber one with a bright future and a lot of smiles and love. My heart goes to those who are afraid of the work.

Please keep trying – Failure not Success or neither permanent.

26. Amber says:

I meant failure nor success are neither permanent.

We must all keep trying whether we are in recovery or not. We are all “spiritual beings having a human experience”

I love those trying to recover…I love them being naked – I love the people who struggle and then one day become our heros…We need to know the world is not perfect but people are really good. I need to know that.

Having a tough day – Red bull and fried chicken is my relapse food instead of drugs and alcohol…
    It means I run more tomorrow.

27. Gerald says:

Nazi, I dont think so. I am a recoverying addict of ten years, YEAH. I like that he has recoverying addicts work with him. Bcause no one and let me be stright NO ONE can truely understand unless you have been there. I think that Dr drew useing addicts sayes something about him. That he doesnt know it all . Nazi no. Lawyers calling someone a name is the pot calliing the kettle black please. Love NA it saved my live and Dr drew is ok. I hope that everyone finds some kind of support groups. That is the only way to keep clean. Be who you are and not the active addict

28. Pam says:

I have been through therapy and I canno say Dr. Drew is Nazi. He is doing what therapists do in a session.

I saw the way Steven’s mom dealt with him and how Dr. Drew took charge. Stephen has a right to be mad. His mom takes no blame is her role.

We are all responsible for our actions. This is what Dr. Drew teaches his clients. He did this situation very well.

Dr. Drew is far from being a Nazi.

29. Pam says:

Ya know, we have all had parent swho aren’t like the cleavers. Mine definately wasn’t.

I got caught up in Meth 19 years ago. Now it’s alcohol on weekends.

I got an amazing son who is in college. I decided to change the patterns. I feel bad that my life for my kid isn’t pefect. I went through counselling. She congrats me for changng the pattern cause my parents were too wrapped in themselves and my mom is an alcoholic. My dad is a recovering one.

All I know…my kid’s success comes first. Then I have time to party. I have to be careful cause of my past.

It is something that is so scarey. Very scarey. My kid is my heart.

It’s very scarey when you get tired how easy it is to find something to take you away. It don’t take you away. It makes it worse.

Right now I’m sitting in the blessings of my kid’s life and being successful.

It’s a good distraction. But for 19 years it’s done well.

30. Pam says:

I was a meth addict 19 years ago before I had my kid. I stoppe dc ause of my kid. More than my mom and dad could do with alcohol. I am far from a saint. I drink bear on weekends. Well that’s my mom and dad’s demon. My dad stepped back.

What’s funny when we talk my mom can’t understand why I am the way I am.

I have an 18 year old boy. One thing I learned…don’t repeat the pattern. I am not my son’s friend. I am not perfect. But I lve my son so much…I want more for him.

Addiction is a nasty pattern It sucks.

I just pray I broke the chain cause I know I’m not perfect cause I like my beer. Hard to raise a kid liek that with addiction.

Keep it about the kids and keep making it…we want our kids to do better and we can make a difference.

Thanks

31. Pam says:

Amber my heart goes out to you girl. Good for you to try to get things right. May you keep on the right track. You love yor mom. You’re in treatment adn you talked to your mother more like an adult than she did. I could rip on your mom, but that doesn’t help. You just keep it right. Your on the right track. You go girl and keep up the good work.

32. meg says:

Dr. Drew you are doing a wonderful thing…i just wish that ordinary people suffering from addiction could have the resources that celebs have…my husband is an addict, just relapsed on OC’s after being clean from heroin for 6 years! it has been a struggle trying to get him the help that he needs. before any facility would even consider talking to us, they asked “what type of insurance do you have?” fortunately our insurance covers part of it! however, recovery is an everyday thing,,,its a lifestyle change, not just in & out & your cured! again, i love watching your show, you have been a great help to our family. actually, i did an intervention at home, took my hubby to an inpatient program, that he signed out of after being there only 1 day..he finished the detox process at home, which i would not want to go thru ever again! it was so painful for all of us! we are in recovery & going to outpatient therapy…my heart goes out to each & every member of the show…i wish you all the best & keep doing what your doing doc..you are an angel!

33. RR says:

I like Dr.Drew. The first time I heard of him, and heard him, was a few years back on a late night radio show called, “LoveLine”. He and Adam Corola were great. Adam had the humor and wit and Dr. Drew brought the cerebral thoughts and knowledge to the show. Together, Dr. Drew and Adam, created one unified “brain” that entertained and educated.

On to the comment about Tom Cruise. Everyone can make comments that they later wish were not captured or made public. I’m sure perhaps that Dr. Drew may feel that there may be something to his opinion/s of Tom Cruise, but, Drew had to be careful in getting carried away with himself. Yes, Drew is a very intelligent man, and has much knowledge and insight to share with people. However, in this instance he stepped over the line with his comments on Tom Cruise. Mainly because he shouldn’t try to make diagnosis on an individual that he has not met or interviewed clinically. Dr. Drew should have kept his commentary anonymous by saying something like, “let’s take a person who joins a “cult” type religion, etc…” Instead, he went straight to a very widely known actor who also happens to be in a growing spiritual/religious organization. Dr. Drew may agree with Scientology or whether or not it is or is not a religion, but he shows much disrespect for things he doesn’t seem to ascribe to.
    Dr. Drew, your comments are out of line and not professional presented publicly as they were.
    I’m sure Dr. Drew would agree after reflecting on his comments.

As for Tom Cruise and his views, he is entitled to believe what ever he so chooses be it Judaism, Christianity, Buddism, or Scientology. There is really NO difference in any of these organized religions, as “religions”. Which may be right or wrong is obviously going to be debated hotly.
    Does it serve anything? No, it doesn’t. Using someone’s faith to criticize them is no better than being a participant in a religious inquisition. I’m not sure what religion Drew may be, but I could easily say the same about his religion and those who believe in his faith as he did about Tom Cruise and Scientology. I mean, what makes a faith that believes God destroyed all life on Earth except for one family with a huge boat loaded with 2 of EVERY living organism on the planet, any more valid or sane than Scientology? There are plenty of people who have been abandoned, abused, raised by alcoholics, etc… who believe in Christ, or Buddah, or Jehovah, etc…
    Dr. Drew doesn’t have any greater insight into who believes what and why, when it comes to comparative between religions in my view. I’ve seen plenty of “Christian” churches whoe’s followers believe a number of odd things, such as dancing with snakes or drinking poison.

Drew, it wasn’t cool and you should just offer an apology and Tom Cruise should accept it, and we should move one to become better people all around instead of trying to make ourselves better than the “others”.

34. ALLISON says:

I am a huge fan love to watch the show my heart goes out to everyone. Amber I am so sorry you had such a bad life but cheer up girl the best is yet to come life is certainly a roller coaster. Shawn you are clearly a good person you just got the bad end of the stick when it comes to parents start telling yourself you are a good person and it is not your fault they failed you. Jeff I am tired of your drama sorry but get over it! Steven hang in there you have a great family now focus on that and whatever your mother did to you sucks and should never have happened I simply can not wrap my mind around that.
    niki you are a beauitful talented person with so much to offer I am so sorry your mother died please find a way to come to terms with it your little boy loves you and needs you so much try to break the cycle stay strong girl you can do it!!!
    Rodney You have taught America so much we no longer see things black and white try to be aware of that you are such a great person nothing what media made you out to be I am so sorry for everything you’ve been through hang in there as well….
    Take Care and please stay clean life is too short….

35. PAM says:

DR. DREW,
    I AM GOING THRU A SUBOXONE & XANAX WITHDRAWAL AFTER YEARS OF ABUSING PERCOCET, LORCET, VICODIN, YOU NAME IT, IF IT WAS A PAIN PILL I DID IT. I GOT UP TO 30-40 PER DAY, WENT INTO THE HOSPITAL FOR 4 DAYS AND THEN THEY PUT ME ON THESE, I DID NOT DO A RAPID DETOX. I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO GET OFF OF THIS STUFF, IT’S GOTTEN TO WHERE I CAN’T FUNCTION WITHOUT IT I’M SO AFRAID IF I JUST QUIT I’LL GO BACK TO PAINERS. CAN YOU CONTACT ME PLEASE? THANKS.
    SINCERELY,
    P

36. liz says:

dr drew..i want to tell you my story please right me back onmy e-mail ill be waiting..thks

37. Quinn says:

I saw for the first time your show were everybody was graduating and going to a sober living I enjoyed it and you can not complete a program in one month of course some will fall out and relapse it is a working progress a day to day program and it takes patients and time you cant future trip or shut the door on your past but live each minute at a time you got to belive in yourself 12 steps is real and it realy works Ive seen it in people they eventualy see the spirituality the suddenly the fog clears and they truly get the program it takes hard work and determination and always keep a positive mind although you will have your bad times and good times your ups and down but stay positive Thanks Sincerely your friend and friends with Bill W All The Way from Anchorage Alaska Quinn

38. Sarah Tanner says:

Dear Dr. Drew,
    I was very disappointed in your decision to keep Steven in the sober house. You and I know that there is no such thing as “One Time” . By keeping Steven in the house you put all the others in a real bad place. “Steven did it once we can too”. I am a wife of a recovering addicts he has been sober for 3 years. There is no way a sober house would have kept Steven in the house. I love you and respect you! I think your a great person with a lot of talent please just keep it real.

39. jack ass says:

i see the truth hurts you as you removed my last blog so here we go again the people you are trying to save is the same people that are in prision and as far as liveing in la california what a rat race i was there last summer and was afraid i was going to get killed on your freeways as the people have no respect for others even the police tryed to run me over i say slow down iam not in a hurry to die are you and the trucker that tryed to rum me over going up the grapevine hill YOU DONT OWEN THE ROAD as far as dr drew goes i see the way you look at Amber in the hot tub humm what was that all about i thought this was rehab you cased her to melt down like she did in that nude porn show you know if not all will retrun to drugs after you are removed from the picture just one more thing if you really cared for them people you would advise them to move out of california as not if but when the erthqueak comes your dead

40. Paul says:

Tom Cruise is a certified nut job with the attention of one more useless, greedy, attention hungry loser lawyer.

41. jimmie ashford says:

Dr. Drew I think that you are doing a wonderful job in restoring our stars back to their formail selves. You are like one of the greats within the human society who actually care about those lives that were once in the spotlights. I always tell myself that I will never get attached to drugs and I know that I won’t. I am a college student who majors in criminal justice and to do that would be self degrading with a lack of respect. You are a hero to the world. Best of luck

42. 4105366 says: