Rock Honors: Performances From Tonight’s Show!

Not near a television? You should be, as Rock Honors: The Who is going down right now, featuring every rock stars’ rock star. Don’t worry though — we’ve got some highlights from the show below. Check it out and tell us which one is your favorite!

It’s not until you hear them play a Who song that you realize Pearl Jam take so much from the band– and on “Love Reign O’er Me,” they give it back. The track’s a frequent cover in the grunge godfathers’ set, and its obvious why: Vedder wails through the song, pleading, as the rest of the band shreds to keep up.

It wouldn’t be a party if Boy in the Bubble and Flaming Lips frontmanWayne Coyne didn’t roll around in the audience in his big inflatable ball for a while, getting the crowd appropriately amped as they play the beginnings of “See Me, Feel Me” (which Wayne told us before the show was a personal favorite) before launching into a searing medley from Tommythat includes “Pinball Wizard.” To find out what else the Oklahoma psych-rockers played, check the clip above.

For Tenacious D frontman Jack Black to call the Who “the greatest band of all time” is a pretty big deal, as that’s usually a title he saves for his own band. Watch the merry pranksters strum through a fun version of “Squeezebox” in the clip above.

1. Deb says:

this is the best! this is any band’s dream… a drummer’s dream, bass player dream, GUITARIST!!!, singer. what an honor for these young guys. they wouldn’t exist without The Who

2. sssssss says:

All of them are creative! Recently, quite a few celebrities were said to appear on the hot singles’ club interracial loves . c o m . OMG!!! They are indeed so rich that they feel boring sometimes to need new things?

3. Chinese Democrasy GNR says:

I Cannot believe that the who are as still as awesome as they were in the old days and im watching Vh1 Rock Honors The Who right now and damn when I saw Them come on stage playing one of there best hits my favorite , Baba O’Riley I was Like they still got it. lets Thank The Who For all the awesome songs they made and they always be remember .

4. Swetz says:

Pearl Jam are amazing…Goosebumps…Anyone who has not seen them live should do so immediately…Go buy live at the garden or picture in a frame…Its a pity that there are so few bands as genuine as they are talented.

5. DC says:

You cut “Won’t Get Fooled Again”? The greatest Who song ever? Hell – the greatest song ever? And then had seven minutes left over? What the hell is wrong with you people?!?!?

6. steve mcclure says:

I agree with Kelly about the Lips, they are fun, emotional, hard driving old fashion rock, with a touch of glitz and glamour. They listen to the Who while they were growing up and dreamed of rock stardom but being from Oklahoma City it was not to be, so they traveled across the Pond and were enamor but the original fans of the Who. They sellout concerts there and have been recognized by British Music Magazines as the best band in America. They by far were not the weakest band in the show Incubus was. Pearl Jam’s Reign on Me was the highlight performance but Real Me was just adequate. Foo Fighter’s Performance with Gaz was next but Lips was not far behind. Listen to the videos for Lips they are truly intuitive.

7. Denise says:

I’ve waited all week to watch this show. The Who is legendary. I wanted to introduce my sons to the awesome spectical that The Who is. But….I can not believe with all the advanced technology that we have at our fingertips that VH1 could not come out with better sound quality for their show. I am appalled at the poor sound quality. The energy of all the performers is visable but the lyrics and vocals were muddied and unintelligble. It made the show barely watchable. VH1 could have done so much better…The Who deserved it. Shame.

8. Dana says:

The Who still has it after all of these years! What a great performance. Thank you vh1 for finally giving them honors. Pearl Jam was awesome. Someone should have auditioned the Flaming Lips though. Thank you to The Who for all the memories!

9. Keithsghost says:

The Who touch so many powerful feelings in me through their music. I can’t believe they cut out “Won’t Get Fooled Again” but I’ll catch them at the Nokia this November.

10. Marti B says:

The Who have always been, are now, and always will be the poster boys for REAL rock n roll. I thank VH1 for giving them this show. But I’m with Denise. I worked in the industry for most of the last 40 years. I saw The Who live in 1967 in Baltimore and the sound was better in that old arena with their crappy amps and a mixing board the size of a postage stamp than it was on VH1 tonight. No highs, no separation…and I know, for a fact, VH1 could have done a better job. I couldn’t even hear the trumpet! Also, I was really disappointed that they did not perform, in fact, that no one performed, WON’T GET FOOLED AGAIN. Harry Shearer was right…the anthem of a generation that, in fact, did get fooled again, and again, and again.

11. basil says:

Why does someone discriminate black? I don’t think love is just belongs to white. I’m a black and but my hubby is white. We met at{{{{**** i n t e r r a c i al romancing . c o m***}}} which tell us love is color blind. Our love proved this. I hope each one will not discriminate blacks.

12. ADW says:

I never stopped loving The Who, but tonight reminded me just how great it felt.

13. Vince says:

This by far was one of the most amazing shows ever done on VH1! I thought that the Foo Fighters performance was the perfect way to kick the whole thing off. I thought they just destroyed the stage with thier amazing energy!! My friends and I grew up with The Who and it was great to see them paid tribute too by all of these talented contemporary bands.

Great, Great Show!!!

14. maur says:

I nevr liked the who but am a huge fan of Peal Jam..they nailed it last night/ Vedder s awesome; Mike M.s guitar was killer…I forgot everything before and after their performance…..it PALED…

15. Dean says:

Am I the only person in America who thought the way the show ended was a complete disappointment??? The Who is/was a ROCK AND ROLL BAND. To have them leave what was probably their last ever performance before an audience of millions with a slow, whimpy song STUNK!!! Didn’t we all want to hear them do “We Don’t Get Fooled Again” or at least “Long Live Rock” as their final song and then destroy their equipment, going out with a bang instead of a whimper? Why too didn’t The Who perform their set with well known musicians, such as John Paul Jones, Joey Kramer and Elton John? Perhaps too the show should have ended with some musicians from the bands paying tribute joining them for a couple of songs… VH1, MTV and /or Viacom, Please don’t let our heroes go out with a whimper ever again!!!! What do you think America?

16. Karin says:

Whoever complained about that “whimpy” song at the end, shame on you! Tea and Theatre is from The Who’s Endless Wire release and is about the loss of John, their reaction to it and the fact that Rodger and Pete are the only two left….having tea together at the theatre at the end of thier shows. It’s heartfelt and gave me goosebumps. Last tour they ended their show with that song and I hope they continue to do so until only one Who member is left on the stage.

As for the rest of the show, Pearl Jam blew me away! Goosebumps indeed! Love Tenacious D’s Squeezebox…perfect song for Jack Black or what?? :) But I too could have lived without the weak Flaming Lips…the only band in my opinion who did not do justice to the best band of all time!

To The Who, please keep going as long as you can! Love you just as much now as in the 60′s!!

17. Dean says:

Karin, My name is Dean by the way… (Whoever???) I as well as millions of fans (Pete and Roger included) I am sure would agree that John and Keith were ROCKERS. They would have much preferred a ROCKING song for for their tribute (Long Live Rock for example) instead of something that completely deflated the proceedings. I applaud the guys for creating a song in John’s honor and to exprees their feelings of loss. I and I bet many others would agree that wasn’t anywhere near the best way to end the show… Roger and Pete if you read this, Please do not take my sentiments as disrespect. I am a 43 yr old musician who has loved your work and spirit since the 70′s and am very glad that you agreed to put on the otherwise great show.

18. Lizzard says:

I really enjoyed Pear Jam’s performance. Out of all the bands there I thought they were the best. I love Incubus but I was kinda bored thru their set. The Who kicked $`^__~&%%$#`_(` They were totally awesome.

19. Mark says:

The production value was a joke!!!!! Next time you might want to try to light for the cameras not the audience. Not sure who the Lighting designer was but he/she should know better. I’m glad The Who received this honor they deserve it. TO BAD THE PRODUCTION WAS S–T!!!!!!

20. mark says:

21. babyface says:

She is hot! Her photos were found on a Interracial date site ///============= m i x e d l o v i n g . c o m ==========\\\\\\\last week. I am curious why she was there. Is she Interested in Interracial dating? Does she need some Interracial relationship?

22. Al Dente says:

I am disappointed beyond words to learn what I thought – but did not want to believe – was the case: “Won’t Get Fooled Again” was performed, and then cut. Unreal. For “those of us of a certain age”, this is THEE defining Rock Anthem, never to be replicated in Rock Songwriting. I’ve never chased down this detail, but I remember reading from a Pete interview that the cadence of that unsurpassable Song was 128 beats/minute on a Mentronome. That is, it has the pace and cadence of a classic Military Marching Song.

I deeply hope that some version of this wonderful Who Tribute DVD includes “Won’t Get Fooled Again”; cut for some indefensible reason. Songwriting gets no better than that… Think Mozart’s 5th, etc…

As my Wife and I just watched this show for the 4th time in re-broadcast, tears ran down our faces in awe of, and respect for, what The Who defined for us, and forever will. They are, simply, the best, and irreplaceable.

23. I wanted to thank you for this interesting I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your web site to check out the latest stuff you post.