The Celebreality Interview – Laverne

For this week’s Diddy eliminated-contestant interview, instead of posting in our normal text format, we’re going the video route. Why? Part of it has to do with Laverne living close to our office. But a much larger part has to do with Laverne, herself. She is well-spoken, fascinating and, we humbly think, a trailblazer in the realm of televised diversity. As she explains in her lengthy interview (which has been divided by subject), I Want To Work for Diddy, didn’t paint her as a circus freak, or a walking-voguing stereotype. Instead, she was allowed to be a person, vying for a goal that had nothing to do with her gender identity, just like everyone else on the show.

But Laverne is more articulate about the subject than we could ever be, as you can see in the video above, which is devoted primarily to her transgender identity and the ground-level activism that appearing on this show was to her. In the video immediately below, she talks specifically about her time on Diddy and hits back at Boris’ transphobia and clashing with Kim. And in the last offering, Laverne talks about her career as an entertainer and what to expect from her in the future. We, at least, expect big things from this truly phenomenal woman.

Keep up with Laverne via her FamousVH1Friends.com profile and her MySpace.

I Want To Work for Diddy show page
I Want To Work for Diddy videos and extras

1. E says:

Laverne, you are fabulous. I have never myself known a transgender individual, but it has been educational seeing someone on television with as much tact and professionalism as you have (thus eliminating so many stereotypes I may have had). You are going places and don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise!

2. DEEDEE says:

LAVERNE I THINK YOU ARE THE BOMB. I LOVE YOUR PERSONALITY. I LOVE THAT YOU ARE VERY HUMBLE AND NOT OVERLY ECCENTRIC AND I THINK THAT YOU ARE SETTING A STANDARD FOR WOMAN AND MEN. ESPECIALLY FOR WOMEN. IT GOES TO SHOW YOU NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE OR TURN YOURSELF INTO YOU HAVE TO SET AN EXAMPLE FOR YOU GROUP. I HOPE THEY BRING YOU BACK ON THE SHOW. LOVE YOU GIRL.

FROM DEEDEE AND KIA.

3. Me says:

Okay First of all. Sleeping with womans husbands. WTF! Being who you are thats cool. But don’t be fake at it. Poprah knows the people on the show better than people who watch it. I am not bashing Laverne, But be true to yourself always. Find that one person to be with. Doesnt mean you have to go through 50 million men to get there. Any who. What Poprah said is disturbing…… thats all….

4. stasi says:

laverne was the smartest one!
    BORIS and POPRAH have got ta go

5. Jymil says:

I just wanna say that I think Leverne is absolutely adorable & beautiful inside and out!! You are a great person and very genuine and hopefully we as people can learn from you!!

6. Shaynah says:

Lavern you go girl! You are beautiful, educated, and a hard worker.

7. love says:

Laverne, I’m so very excited for you!! You have put an amazing face on transgender! You’re very presence on this show has helped to break through misconceptions, fear and ignorance. There is nothing corny about LOVE Laverne, what’s corny and unfortunate is a life without it! Our challenges in life are opportunities to learn to love. A huge component to LOVE is acceptance…I’m sure your journey has been paved with many challenges, difficulties and judgment… but here you are woman, teaching, inspiring and encouraging millions to see differently, to think differently and to have compassion. I feel you were very well represented on this show and I’m very proud of all parties involved who supported you. I wish you the very, very best in your future endeavors! In a time when the world is in need of a new perception and transformation…your presence and voice, not only in the transgender community, is a part of this change we’re participating in, one in particular being acceptance! God Bless you and I pray that your spirit remains strong, your mind remains focused and positive and your heart full of LOVE! I absolutely enjoyed watching you and I hope to see and hear more from you! Live girl!!!! Keep shining Lady! YOU ARE FABULOUS!!!

8. NA-NA says:

LAVERNE WAS THE BOMB. HAD A GOOD HEAD ON HER SHOULDERS, SHE DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WORKING 4 DIDDY SHE GOT IT GOING ON ANYWAY.

9. girl in wilm, de says:

I agree with VH1 – Laverne is so smart and the bomb

10. Nikki says:

Laverne, you are wonderful. You have opened my mind more than you could ever know. I had stereotypes about transgender individuals and you have completely changed them. You are intelligent, compassionate, and you have a big heart. Your soul is as pure as can be. You are what every person should strive to be. You are beautiful girl. You will do GREAT things!

11. Michelle Freeman says:

I just wanted to say that I love the way you carry yourself always stay that even with the fame . I also want to say that you were suppose to able go head up with kimberly one thing I would have called out is that every time shes up for elimination she says how she suggested her opinion on something she was ignored and she always feel thats why the lost.well I feel when working for diddy if suggest something that u Know will help ur team out no matter what you should go with it.

any way I don’t like kimberly …………………………………….

12. nisha3.0 says:

Poprah, or whoever you may be, you need to get a life. Yes! Lavern is classy and humbling. Stop hating because no one has said those words about you. So what if she was a born a male. Oh well. She has way more class then most women in society today. Quit hating.

13. sarita says:

Hi laverne , how are you ? what’s goin’ on ?
    Well I just wanted to say Diddy still wants you to work for him.
    Be patient He’ll be calling soon.

14. truet says:

Hi there sister,
    It will not be the same now that youre gone. The show will be boring. I dont care who gets eliminated next. Its just frustrating to have something special get taken away. I dont see what the panel of judges see in the other contestants, kim in general. I know that reality shows are fake but its entertaining, and with you gone theres no entertainment, no hopes and dreams for transgenders to make it to the top is what Im hopeing for you.

15. Yolanda says:

Laverne, continue to be yourself and know that you are well loved and well respected and yes I admire your beautiful soul. As a woman myself, I must say that you truly represent class and dignity to the fullest and even though I like Kim too, she lashes out at people too much and that alone with kill her at the end and I hope she gets it together before it’s too late. Laverne, you’re the best and will be missed on the show.

16. jeremiah says:

me and my auntie loved u on the show u are very rea just be u girll keep doin wat u do best dont let know 1 get ya down love ya ur #1 fan lozs jeremiah

17. plea says:

Im still angry with the way Diddy, his mother,wife and kids treat their employees. I thought slave days were over. Who in the world would want to work for Diddy? I know you were from the GHETTO and made a life for you and your family, but were you all full of SASS when you were poor? That’s HORRIBLE! ! !
    There’s no respect for you, coming from my state of residence.
    I can’t believe you all treat people like _~`%!&*&%($$!#!& A KINTAY (movie”Roots”).
    I come from a noble family, Im a teenager, and I try to keep up with Hip-Hop and reality Tv, I think Laverne and other contestants dont deserve to be pushed around by a wanna’ be Donald Trump/ Jay-z. Youre show is AWFUL!!!!!, and so is your family. Oprah Winfrey wouldn’t invite you on her show, youre not classy enough, Diddy. BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

18. elayshia says:

its wrong that us peple in guam cannot watch these online videos they dont even freekin post

19. faith says:

I think she is a strong Black Woman ! Contrary to popular belief…Lavern you keep going momma and power women to go fwd and do the impossible …regaurdless of what people think of us …

20. shady180 says:

i really cant see anybody on that damn show working for diddy… none of them looks like they got what it takes to be diddys *)!($@%#@@`!`@* istance, diddy needs to have a part 2

21. Monique says:

You represent yourself so well, that at times I even forget that you’re a transgender woman. Instead, I see you as a black woman… I guess what I’m trying to say is, your presence doesn’t just reflect on transgender women, it also reflects on black women like myself. PROUD, is the word that comes to mind. I’m proud of the way you represented yourself.

I wouldn’t have thought of myself as someone that stereotyped others. But after seeing you, and hearing you, I now know that I was partially ignornant about what a transgender person is. And I feel that I’ve gained a better awareness, openness.

I hope to see more of you, and wish you the best.

I’m so very proud of you. I’m 22, and honestly I look up to you. Usually when I see other black women on television, I can’t find too many examples of the type of person I’d want to model myself after, but I see that in you.

22. k5 says:

No kidding Diddy is a sack of DODO, and so is his judges lookin all beat down from no sleep. I remember he said if your tired, your fired. P-l-ease, calm down you dont rule. How can people work for him and forget about Family and Spouses, RIDICULOUS! theres no life and no love, but grief. The wander Kevin, Capricorn, and the other guy looks miserable and mean. Theyre making wrong decisions due to lack of sleep.

23. Mocha Fudge Luv says:

I must say, Laverne. You were a presentation of fresh air to this show. Your presentation give a different look as to how the world views individuals like you. I believe its about how you do anything that what you do. I truly felt that Laverne and MIke would have been wonderful together as team mates as well as a couple. Some people find it taboo. However, many men in the world are finding transgender to apealing to the eye. Laverne, keep moving in the positive direction you are headed. You are breaking down doors and I don’t even believe you are yet to realize it.