Confessions of a Teen Idol – Episode 5 Recap – The Price of Dignity

Jamie’s had a lot of opportunity to write and practice music since he’s been in the Teen Idol house, which he loves.

Jeremy stumbles into the kitchen where Eric is whipping up green morning drinks. He’s set up a whole spread of supplements. Jeremy’s going on a seven day “anabolic detox,” a raw diet full of horse food like oats, alfalfa sprouts, and grass.

Watch the latest full episode of Teen Idol

Jason Hervey shows up to tell them that today, they will be meeting with people from their pasts who were affected by their fame. The guys don’t look happy about this. Adrian hopes they don’t bring any of his ex-wives.

Jeremy says he hopes they don’t bring David Hasselhoff. When he was younger, he sold a bogus story to the Enquirer that Hasselhof had abused him as a kid on the set of Baywatch. The men receive a call sheet that notes, mysteriously, they will be receiving visitors shortly.

Jeremy has to be relieved when his little sister arrives.

She tells the story of the time their house was visited by gang members. They tied up Jeremy with a vacuum cord and tried to kidnap him. His mother had to fight them off. Yep, that’s pretty much grounds for your family to hate you. “I tuned the whole world out,” his sister says. On the other hand, they got to do some cool stuff, she adds, because of his fame. And overall, she’s proud to be his sister.

Eric receives a phone call, from his brother John.

John tells Eric he lost all touch with reality during his fame period, and that it was a heartbreaking process to watch. Eric got caught up in celebrity — his manager was introducing him to celebs, he was partying on a regular basis, and he made really bad decisions.

Eric owns one of these t-shirts available at farmers’ markets everywhere.

Adrian sits at a juice bar waiting, and his sons walk in.

They arrive and tell him about how unfair it was for their mother to raise them while Adrian was in New York performing on Broadway. On the other hand, he called them every night, and it meant a lot to them.

Billy is surprised by Roberto, the friend he had moved to Hollywood with all those years ago from Brook Park, Ohio.

Billy had nothing and his friend threw him out in the street because he couldn’t pay rent. Roberto feels terrible about what happened, and reveals he was jealous of Billy’s fame.

Steve Tyrell, Jamie’s former music producer, shows up.

They had also worked together on The Heights. Tyrell thinks Jamie got a raw deal from fans after that infamous 90210 episode where he threw Donna down the stairs. He suggests Jamie jumped ship too soon, and that he’s still “got it.”

Next, they’re summoned to meet with Cooper. I ponder a world where spontaneous group therapy sessions are called, and the mental health I would enjoy as a result. Cooper scores with another fabulous outfit.

The guys talk about the people in their lives and how fame impacted those relationships. Jeremy was home-schooled so “the people who have known me longest are my mom, my sister, and my aesthetician.” Turns out he’s had one since he was twelve. Hey, is that Atkins trying not to laugh?

Jamie, EMT and alpha male, finds this amusing as well.

David talks of being suspicious of women he dated – were they with him because they really liked him, or was there another motive?

Um, could the motive be that he’s hot??

Hello! David doesn’t need therapy, he needs a mirror.

Adrian points out that one of the rotten things about being famous is the loneliness that comes with the exclusivity. It’s starting to become clear that some of the guys are once again attracted to fame, while some are having serious doubts about getting back into the spotlight.

Eric says he’s tired of talking about the past and wants to move on. Jamie had the one positive visit — it inspired him to make music again.

That night, Jeremy hatches a plan. He’s on the phone to one of his nightlife buds booking a gig for Jamie. Jeremy’s afraid to tell Jamie what he’s done. But it turns out Jamie wants to play the gig.

The next night, Jamie’s at The Mint with his guitar.

The guys are there, his wife is there, and Jason Hervey shows up as well. He turns up the pressure by telling Jamie he’s brought a friend who’s producing a big budget film, and is looking for someone to score it.

Jamie takes the stage — and he still has it!

After the show, he’s elated.

The movie producer might even be interested in working with him. Success!

After this heartwarming episode of dignity, it’s time for another challenge. The guys will be taking part in a charity auction that night where they will be for sale. The plus side is, the benefit is for an awesome foundation called Drop In the Bucket, that works to provide clean drinking water in Africa. The guys find motivation from this.

They show up for the red carpet event, and this time it is for real! Here’s the audience.

The men look smokin’. How much would you bid for a night with a former teen idol?

Jeremy goes first. His date will include 24 hours of awkwardness, I mean, pampering, to the highest bidder. David bids on Jeremy for two grand! He’s sold, and the two of them just paid for a well to be dug in Africa.

Adrian auctions off a home-cooked meal, during which he’ll sing songs from Grease 2. He goes for a respectable $800. Billy, auctioning off a weekend in Vegas and tickets to a Donnie and Marie Osmond show (yikes), raises $2,400! Turning up the heat to about a million degrees, Chris and David auction off a romantic dinner with the TWO OF THEM! Un-freaking-believable.

Jamie’s feeling the competition, and hopes someone will bid on a private concert. There’s at least one fan in the audience.

Jamie ends up bringing in a decent $900.

When Eric takes the stage, things take a bizarre turn. One woman approaches and says they’re willing to pay $100 for every article of clothing he takes off. Eric politely declines, pleading self-respect as the reason. “I don’t like it when other people try to control me,” he says. Fair enough. The woman then offers $1000 for just the shirt. It’s for charity, so he gives in. Think this is okay? Or does it lack class?

The event sends Eric into a spiral of doubt about staying on the show. The second he gets back to the house, he’s made up his mind to quit.

He’s been reminded of the past and of things he’d like to forget. Seems those demons from the past got too close for comfort tonight.

1. suzi says:

Good for you Eric. Stick to your self respect. You were sooooo right to leave. Stay in NY where you’ll get this respect, as we adore you here. Listen to some Tommy Bones (my favorite too) and connect with the friends who don’t ask anything of you but to BE YOUSELF!!

2. Judy says:

Hello Gentlemen,
    You’re each doing very well… and I enjoy the show very much. I do have a few suggestions I hope you will consider, and I say these things this with much respect and admiration for eeach of you. With a background in fashion design/personal stylist I have a few suggestions for a few of you… Bill Hufsey, continue with the dark blazer and black and/or blue shirts- the colors/fit suit you very well. Adrian Zmed, great head-shot, if you could gain some confidence, you could go very far. Eric Nies, I enjoyed watching you on the original Real World, I thought you had some fine qualities. I see that you’ve grown out you’re hair, and you do have nice hair, although, I remember you with a very short haircut and you looked great. I think you might get some real interest from Hollywood if you were to shave it. Jaime Walters, I always liked you on 90210, even when your character was a little “off”. I think if you had a head-shot smiling, it could go a long way in covering your image, and the truth is you have a great smile. You have a wonderful soothing singing voice, don’t let a “hard” exterior image cut yourself short of having a great long lasting career. Jeremy Jackson, you have some fine qualities, and you obviously truly care for others. Some suggestions are that you too smile in your head shots… You have a really great, very masculine look to you, and I think if you soften your look just a little, you’ll get a great response and interest from your audience. You have a wonderful sense of style – great job.
    I truly wish each of you so well and much success,
    Best Wishes,
    Judy B. in Phoenix, AZ.

3. glorius2u says:

I don’t know who Jamie is nor have I seen any of his shows or listened to his music. I just wanted to say that I am very happy and proud of him for stepping up and accepting the offer from his housemate to play at The Mint. I sure that was scary and he did a great job. Keep pushing forward

4. glorius2u says:

Eric needs to get back in touch with the real world and find out who he is and what he wants. Why are you even on the show. If you are a celebrity for a non-industry person
    people are going to try to get what they want from you. Did you really think a lot of overweight women want a raw food date. Did you take into consideration your audience. You need to think before you leap. Maybe this life is not for you and that is ok.

5. Joanne Arnold says:

I really think Jamie should make a come back. This performance that he did on the show was great he’s still got it.
    GOOD LUCK LONG TIME FAN
    JOANNE ARNOLD

6. Sweet Lu says:

For the person that their fame affected their lives, who did David or Christopher talk to? Did I miss that?

7. Holly says:

I’m happy that Eric has his self respect but I will really miss him and would love to learn more about his healthy cleanse!! I am very interested.

8. missy in central jersey says:

Ok, for the record. I don;t know if i would feel comfotable with someone asking me to undress in public for any reason, even if it was for charity. The first real world premiered when I was in high school, OVER TEN YEARS AGO! People change! I did a lot of things when I was younger that I would not do now. Its called growing up. I am glad that Eric stood his ground for something he didn’t like. I wish others would do that as well instead of giving into the pressures of fame. I do not feel that he should be criticized for leaving the show but instead applauded that he not only stated how he felt but followed through with it as well. I really wish more famous people did this because to me his actions showed to me what we need more of famous people to be…a true role model for younger people. So Eric you did right in my book.,,,

9. Kira says:

Why is Eric okay with being shirtless for the show, but not for charity? He knows the cameras are on him when he’s taking a shower and tooling around in the house.

10. fernwood says:

Hello there!
    About David needing a mirror: Am I feeling some prejudice on David’s beauty?
    Come on!

11. Manny says:

I think its cool that these guys are being given a second shot at fame.Even though i think that they can do it themselves.I can definetely see Jeremy being in movies or tv again.I know dude went thru some trials and tribulations in life but who hasnt.I think you need to just sometimes just stop and take a breather and focus.Eric?,..he needs to find himself.Jaime got skills,like you said its like riding a bike,you just have to motivate yourself.I can see David doing movies or even tv shows.What i dont get is that you dont like the media which is understandable but it comes with the territory.What i suggest is suck it up for when and if you want to blow up again,make your money and move out the country away from the havoc,hey look at Johnny Depp,dude lives in like sweeden or something.I just saw Billy in a comercial and thats great cause your headed in the right path.I always liked the movies Adrian did in the past,hes funny.I think he still got it.I forget the blue lagoon guys name but,he looks good for his age and i can see him on like CSI shows as a forencics guy.I think you all still got it and good luck to all of you.

12. MinxyBlogger78 says:

for this week all I can say is “YEAH, WANNABE WAY BACK THEN BUT NOT, PEE HEAD ERIC IS GONE…FINALLY!!” I knew his self rightgeous a*s couldn’t handle this type of setting and I highly doubt some “manager” screwed him over w/his so-called career w/the Real World n The Grind & poss future ventures..his brother calling “busted him out” big time on his past drinking n drugging days and simply being an a$$ just cuz he had been on 2 cable tv shows for 16wks then what 18wks. WoW big time career he had w/those shows..NOT!! He couldn’t come to grips he was just a hardly known by anyone reality tv show guy n put the blame on some manager when he was just a big-headed drinkin’ n druggin’ jerk that couldn’t get a job doing anything else as he has no talent!! And definitely, he’s way unlike any of the other guys or in their class (plus there is a Big difference w/MTV of ’92 vs today, of which MTV has a larger viewing audience than ever as cable tv is the norm.) Heck even the guys n girls picked for this season, to live their lifes on Real World for 16wks, had to submit a video audition tape.. not just fill out a form or go to a local city audition, like those who try for American Idol.)

So Good Riddance Eric “Nuts” or whatever!!
    Sorry if ya’all Don’t Like This–but the truth can hurt n I can’t help ya deal w/that.

ps Maybe David will leave next as he also was just an eye candy boy who hardly no one knows as Baywatch wasn’t exactly like Dynasty, Dallas, MASH or even Gilligan’s Island to the Beverly Hillbillies; n guys mainly watched it for Pam Anderson..LoL. Plus I’ve never seen any Baywatch shows in syndication in the USA!! Tho it has been popular in the Asian n !$)((#%&)&!!%_* anese communities.. maybe David show go try his luck there, since he’s too good to do a friggin commercial.. Geez, look at all the big names from the movie screens of years ago to even of today, now starring on television series: dramas to comedies and ‘made-for-tv movies’ like for HBO, Lifetime and even starring in their own reality shows!!
    In this day n espec w/the economy, an ?acting/reality gig of any type, is better than nothing .. have any of you opposed to my words n yes very blunt; but have you seen/noted the number of stars of tv, film n music filing bankruptcy to get out of paying for millions.. even the Trumpster knew when to file bankrupt so could keep up his lifestyle, a few times a lil while back. (don’t think any of this is true eh?? well do some financial research, but don’t think you’ll find this info in a People or ET magazine:)

Okay I’ve had my laugh for the day or actually that happened a few days ago when David stormed off like a woman scorned, in his lil truck.. too funny!!

13. MinxyBlogger78 says:

oops my correction of calling Eric, David, as he stormed off like a woman scorned in his little truck. A mirror?? LoL he prefers pee in his hair.. n can’t take his shirt off for a charity event.. give me a break!!
    All thru out the show he’s been pushing his body health crap to all the guys.. so what’s a shirt??

and for some reason, there was a mix of symbols when I actually typed ‘japanese’ after asian, as the communities seeing Baywatch reruns.

Had my say n thanks for the laugh of my week Eric.. wanna a banana or glass of wheat germ to feel better?? Heck just keep on truckin dude!!

Have a good week all.. au revoire pour maintenant :)

14. Sonja says:

This is my absolute favorite show on VH1, yet it is not in the forefront on the VH1 website. I know the guys went through some grueling scenarios, but they have all left me wanting to know more about them, and I have an interest in their future. There is not one single cast member that I am not interested in. And I love that they are all so supportive of each other. Every single person in the cast is incredibly interesting, and I can’t wait to see what they do next. I want them all to do very well, and I can’t wait to follow up on their progress. If a new show came on the air, and it featured any one of them, I would tune in just to see them.

15. hellokitty99 says:

I think Jamie could play George Jones in a bio pick like Walk The Line.

16. I have done some research on bankruptcy and this information helped answer several of my questions

17. Thank you for the informative article on bankruptcy, it seems common place over the last couple years