80s One Hit Wonders: Let The Fights Begin

Next week, starting on Tuesday, March 31, we’re counting down the 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80s. It doesn’t take long to generate contention with these kinds of shows. A few names pop up and opinions start to fly.

Today’s quandary is simple: Who would win in a fight, Don Johnson, Frank Stallone or Patrick Swayze? They each had a song that was hot for a minute, and none of them are considered recording artists. So…hand to hand combat – who walks away triumphant? Watch our pundits debate above, add your own comments below, and watch 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80s from March, 31 – April 3 on VH1. Judah Friedlander, our well-known Best Week Ever wit and 30 Rock genius, hosts the series.

RELATED: The 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the ’80s

1. MIKE says:

I have an issue with your so-called “one hit wonders of the 80s” show. Your info is inaccurate. Depending on what you define as a “hit”, some of your listed artists had more than one hit. The Outfield and ‘Til Tuesday are just a few examples.
    And XTC did NOT hit the U.S. top 40 with “Dear God”. In fact, their song “Mayor of Simpleton” was a bigger hit in the U.S. than “Dear God”. Please do your research.

2. JMK says:

Hey, Mike

Mayor of Simoleton reached #72 on the Billboard Hot 100.
    Dear God reached #37. So suck it!

3. Sween says:

Where can I get a list of the 100 hits?

4. Ben says:

I agree with Mike. I would like to know what source they were using to compile this list. Martika, for example, had four, Top 40 songs. Her biggest hit was “Toy Soldiers” but here biggest airplay hit and singles hit was “Love… Thy Will Be Done” released in 1991. This is according to Billboard. Was this the Top 80s One Hit Wonders Who Only Had One Hit in the 80s, But May Have Had More in Subsequent Decades??? In that case, they should not have included “Dead or Alive” who had the 1984 #11 hit “You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)” and then the 1986 #15 hit “”Brand New Lover”. Who doesn’t know both songs? Please do your research.

5. Dennis says:

yeah it seems like a lot of songs on the list had no place being there. Twisted Sister had I wanna Rock so really don’t see how they are even considered a one hit wonder, there were more but i don’t feel like typing them all out. Very surprised Autograph wasn’t on the countdown

6. obsessmuch says:

I love 80s music and if all the bands were not technically ‘one hit wonders’, I don’t mind. I enjoyed the show, loved hearing those songs again, and kept thinking, I hope they put these songs in a CD set. Of course, this shows my age, since nowadays, I could just download each song individually.
    Thanks, VH1. Enjoyed the entire show.

7. Rob says:

A true one hit wonder I never see mentioned is What About Me by Moving Pictures.

8. Ariana says:

I can not figure out this song that was played when the host was talking right around the “it’s raining men” or something like that. it’s an acoustic song and the vocals didn’t kick in, it was just the single guitar sequence.

help me outttiuiiuiqwudiqx!!!

9. PaPa Dennis says:

I watched all those great songs of the 80s only to hang on the edge of my seat for the number 1 “One Hit Wonder of the 80s” and VH1 chooses Illene?
    What an anti-climatic clueless end to a great production. Off with the managers head who no doubt wasn’t even born in the 80s. Thanks for the rest.

10. Trisha Shaffer says:

I love your “100 greatest” lists, all of them, but I want to know why you don’t put out CD Collections of the lists? You would make so much money from them, you could even put some or all of the profits to “Save the Music”. I’m sure all the artists on the lists would approve a CD to come out if it was for Charity, just something for you to think about.

Thank you for the entertainment!
    Trisha Shaffer

11. Carissa says:

I surprised wake me up before you go go wasnt on the list

12. segundo l quishpe says:

please could you tell me what is the name the music in the ilove the 80s trivia game in the app for iphone please i need to know please if is posible send me a email thank you so much bye

13. Aaron says:

I can’t believe TARZAN BOY wasn’t on there.

14. Aaron says:

What The Hell. What About TARZAN BOY.