Fantasia’s Reality Is Coming To VH1

fantasia

Fantasia Barrino propelled to stardom via American Idol, so it shouldn’t be too surprising that she’s set to share more of herself via reality TV. A new candid reality series from the diva is on its way. Details in the press release below:

VH1 will partner with World Of Wonder Productions in a direct-to-series project starring Fantasia, the 9-time Grammy-nominated R&B singer and star of stage, television and Broadway.

VH1 will follow Fantasia along her life’s journey — a journey full of both ups and downs — and will share how she deals with life and the seismic aftershocks of fame. The show will reveal Fantasia’s “reality” — her life as a blossoming recording artist and a young single mother who has achieved great success, but not without her share of hardship along the way. Nevertheless, Fantasia continues to persevere with the courage to live life with an openness and sincerity that her fans have come to love her for. The series is slated for an early 2010 premiere.

Hailing from High Point, North Carolina, Fantasia rose to fame as the winner of the third season of the television series American Idol in 2004. Since then, Fantasia’s life has been nothing short of a whirlwind. Her young recording career has already earned her 9 Grammy nominations. She also told her story in her New York Times best-selling autobiography Life Is Not a Fairy Tale, which led to the production of a film by Lifetime Television film by the same name in which she played herself. In 2007, Fantasia played the role of Celie in the Broadway adaptation of The Color Purple to rave reviews. Presently, Fantasia is back in the studio working on her third album preparing to wow the world with the gift that first brought introduced her to the world stage– her voice.

“Fantasia has one of the most fascinating stories in show business, from her tough upbringing to her meteoric rise on the national scene thanks to American Idol. Her challenges from fame and her unwillingness to fail have combined to create a larger-than-life talent who appeals to music lovers around the world,” said Jeff Olde, Executive Vice President, Original Programming & Production, VH1. “So many people wanted to work with her on this, but Fantasia is now part of the VH1 family, and we’re so happy to have her.”

“Fantasia’s life has been an open book. But at 24 years old, her story has just begun,” said Executive Producer, Randy Barbato. “We look forward to smashing expectations and revealing the fresh, funny and unexpected side of this one-of-a-kind country girl/superstar.”

The series is executive produced by Fenton Bailey, Randy Barbato and Tom Campbell for World of Wonder. Executive producers for VH1 are Jill Holmes, Kristen Kelly and Jeff Olde.

[Image via Getty]

1. sonja-red says:

she is very talented. i can’t wait to see her show.

2. TheDude says:

I agree.

3. MandaL says:

I WILL NOT BE TUNING IN! SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE WON AMERICAN IDOL. SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE HER OWN SHOW. HER CAREER IS OBVIOUSLY NOT GOING VERY WELL FOR HER TO END UP HERE.

4. angel says:

I THINK FANTASIA’S SHOW WILL BE A SUCCESS! SHE’S A VERY TALENTED PERSON AND HER ‘STORY’ IS VERY INTERESTING. AND AS FOR “MANDAL”- EVERYBODY NEEDS A HATER AND YOU HAVE ALL THE QUALITIES OF BEING ONE! CHECKMATE! GOOD LUCK FANTASIA!!

5. BROWNSKIN35 says:

AS THEY SAY LOVE UR HATERS THIER UR BIGGEST FANS I BELIVE IN U I HAVE FROM THE BEGGIN AND I WILL BE WITH U TELL THE END I BELIVE NO I KNOW UR SHOW WILL B A HIT PPL LOVE THE TRUTH AND THATS WHAT U GIVE THEM SO KEEP UR HEAD UP MAMA AND LOVE UR HATERS …..

6. C says:

fantasia’s all right. She can’t sing very well live (voice is scratchy and she’s too loud and diva-ish). But I liked her debut album a lot. i’ll probably watch this if it’s not to mushy. And people who use “hate” or “hater” in the wrong way (jealousy?) are douches and dumba$$e$. Learn some new vocabulary. Geez.

7. Bowdown2meh says:

Hating %)^*%&(~$)`%+&+ @)+!*+)#@*(_@@~*+ es these days….Fantasia do ur thung on yuh new show

8. dappycharlie says:

Fantasia Barrino……………….
    Please tell me this was just an April Fool joke, and she isn’t really getting a show about getting her ged – could there be anything more boring than her or that subject — please…………..

9. ashley says:

another show like keyshia cole ~ yes i agree she need a show she have all these fans and shes hiding in the dark come out honey we will con.2 love you and your beautiful voice may god con. to bless you and your family

~ashley ~#1 fan~luv ya~

10. Sara says:

It always amazes me as to how much negative energy that I find on this site. If you are a fan of Fantasia, wonderful, if you are not that is okay too. What is not okay are the attacks on her accomplishments, and her talents.

The bottom line is this….Fantasia is a role model for a lot of people, and anyone out there that actually has the ability to motivate and inspire others in the times that we live in is Heaven sent. If Fantasia speaking about her G.E.D. encourages one high school dropout to go back and work towards getting theirs, then why not celebrate that?

As someone who was born and raised in the Carolinas, I can tell you that for many, a high school diploma is a huge accomplishment, and the dream of going to a college is just that, a dream. There are many people all over this country that cannot read, or even write their names. Literacy is something that Fantasia has promoted from day one. She shared and continues to share her story because of a realization that becoming a solution to a widespread problem verses sitting back and doing nothing, or just being critical of others, was something that she could do for the greater good. Would’nt life be wonderful if we all shead our layers of intolerance, jealousy and self glorification and worked towards doing something, anything for the greater good?

11. Laura says:

I hope this turns out to be a great show. I love Fantasia as a performer and a person. I wish she had a new record out with songs she’s written herself on it. She had throat surgery recently so I’m glad to see she’s doing well. LOVE YOU, TASIA!

12. Manny says:

Cool your heels for those guessing about the show….the show will be a hit because people don’t really KNOW Fantasia..the producers know this she knows this and most of the people close to her knows this..in fact the negative publicity has worked to her advantage…because the Fantasia Barrino and family that we KNOW is the one that we in the industry have taken a liking too…before you pass judgement TUNE INE and trust me you will be pleasantly surprised as you truly come to KNOW Fantasia and her beautiful, loving family!!!
    FYI This show will NOT be like the Keisha Cole show…Fantasia wrote format for the show her idea..and the networks all loved it….great idea to go with VH1…because that’s where the young people are…as far as GED goes…she may have it by time show airs??? who knows???there are million of young men and women who are where Fantasia came from.MILLIONS!!!! and that is REALITY TV!!!!!!

13. ANNA says:

I totally agree with Manny,let me also add this.Who says the show is going to be about her getting her GED, it is slated to begin early 2010,Fantasia could be doing that now of course she would never do it in any school there would be a riot,teachers have offered to help he many times…the same as you would any homeschooler and with the computer technology today it is much easier.So,she could very well be doing college classes by that time.
    Like she said you all take stuff and run with it she mentioned school so you !()(_$^_@@&^^!( ume this is what the show will be regarding…you know what the say about !()(_$^_@@&^^!( umptions and people who !()(_$^_@@&^^!( ume.
    I will also add this Fantasia is very unselfish and giving so the show will most def invluce her family because from day one her winning Idol was never just about her…this family is very gifted with a strong Godly base…I look forward to this…and the naysayers are problably the same ones who said she would fail in her role on Broadway and you were proven wrong.
    God Bless you Fantasia and the entire Barrino family.
    I know NC most def will be tuning in!!!!!!!

14. FORZIONSMOM says:

I am looking forward to seeing what precious little Zion (mini Fantasia) is up to.She was only 2 when the tv audience met her now she is a big girl and of course I want to see what Mr.Xavier (her youngest brother is up too (the best kept secret in the Barrino family) a prodigy,truly gifted by God.Oh,and don’t forget Mama Diane and Grandma Addie,those big brothers of hers.All too funny!!!
    By the way many of you do not know that as Mr.Barbato stated in his comment which you may have missed Fantasia is a real comic,she is too funny,the hair which you all took much to serious was simply hilarious to her.
    Who knows she may even have a comedy show somday.Someimes I think she is channeling Lucille Ball with some of her antics.
    This show will be a must see and you most def will get to know the REAL Fantasia Barrino!!!!

P.S.Let me say this about +~&_%#^+^)@!%_` umptions as mentioned by the last commenter,to those of you whom I don’t see as haters but ignorant,look don’t judge or +~&_%#^+^)@!%_` ume about people whom you don’t know.Not wise for people even to do that to you,wouldn’t you agree,I know you would not like it,the same here.
    You do not have to watch the show but don’t pass judgement until you have viewed.

In closing let me thank VH1 and its staff (thanks for the kind words Mr.Olde and to World of Wonder Prouduction team praying for much success in the production process….and lots of laughs hanging out with our girl Tasia.God bless everyone.
    You all know she is for real crazy, and truly not scared.

15. ANNA says:

Like she said you all take stuff and run with it she mentioned school so you #!+(!&_~(`&$%#* ume this is what the show will be regarding…you know what the say about #!+(!&_~(`&$%#* umptions and people who #!+(!&_~(`&$%#* ume.
    God Bless you Fantasia and the entire Barrino family.
    I know NC most def will be tuning in!!!!!!!

16. tonya kidd says:

i love fantasia. i can’t wait to see her new reality show. i will surely be watching!!!

17. tatia says:

I was so glad to hear that Fantasia will have her own reality show. I can’t wait for the show. I think she is very talented and down to earth. For all those who have negative comments can keep them to yourselves, no one wants to hear want you have to say. VH-1, I’m so glad you gave Fantasia a chance to allow all her fans into her life. To Fantasia, keep your head up and don’t allow anyone to knock you down with their negativity!!! Continue to do what you do so well. God bless you and your family. LET THE SHOW BEGIN!!!!! I will definitely be tuning in to each and every show!

18. i'm me says:

i’m really excited about this show!!! Can’t wait

19. yani says:

omg im excited to see her show i love her and have been following her since american idol. what ilove about her is shes real and shes america i think everybody who hates on her needs to stop what they need to be doing is realizing that the things she has gone through are thing that really happen why do ppl wanna continue to act like america is this perfect place w/o flaws and anyone with flaws are wrong to represent it. so damnit ill be tuning in

20. rhonda mitchell says:

Waiting for VH1 to give us something to go on. No trailers, no feed at all about this upcoming reality show. I am interested in what is in store. I really am a little bored with the reality shows VH1 has now. Mostly about who will be chosen to really have sex with Ray J, Chance, Antonio. Give me a break. Let’s see what the Fantasia reality show will be about. Give us a sneak peek or something.

21. jhixon says:

the reality show is called “fantasia” it comes on in january and she has a new single that will debut in jan also. the reality show will be about her geting her GED but it will also be about her fixing the relationship with her father. she will be sending her brother off to bording school so he can get his life together its going to show her in the studio on the color purple and show her at concerts. fantasia also has a new album comming out in march 2010. she is also writing a movie called “it came in a dream” and a cooking show is being talked about.

22. Velli Vel says:

I will be watching tha show becuase shes an amazing talent…n i would love to see how she is on reality tv

23. shawty says:

i am so ready for her show she is the best and i am her biggest fan in tha world so all yall haters can shut tha heck up and get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Moma Gee says:

I think that Fantasia represents so many young girls who have been, or will go through what she’s been through. I think that it’s great that she’s been given these opportunities to shine. It just goes to show you, that all things are possible by the grace of GOD. God bless you Fantasia and keep on doing your thang girl.
    LOVE YOU ALWAYS.

25. cadesha says:

ooooooohhhhmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyygggggggggggooooooooooooddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant wait til the show. fantasia is my girl…nd she be doind her thing…

26. deborah vanburen says:

I THINK THE SHOW IS GOING TO BE HOTT!!!!!! I WOULD LOVE TO DO A REALITY SHOW MYSELF….LOL BUT I AM SERIOUS.

27. Hunni says:

I love Fantasia. Do ya thang girl. The girl can blow and I believe this will be nothing like Keyshia’s show because its a totally situation. FYI Fanny’s live performance is more than awesome. Girlie can blow and can work a crowd. And if she wasn’t that good why would Oprah eff w/ her like that? Haters, haters, haters. Why diss the girl? Congratulate a sista for doing something with her life. =)

28. rashard says:

fantasia is gonna blow them away she is just so talented and awesome can t wait

29. shaqb says:

yo all i got 2 say is that ppl like MandaL and TheDude are just hatin on ha she go hard all day long and caint nobody stop her cuz she just bad to the bone now take that to the bank…..bustas

30. genesz01 says:

TAISA TAISA TASIA DO YOU THANG LIL MAMA. I WILL BE FRONT AND CENTER IN FRONT OFTH TV AT MY HOUSE. MATTER OF FACT ALL THE TVS IN MY HOUSE WILL BE ON CHANNEL 61 ON JAN. 11 AT 9. IM READY FOR THE GOOD AND THE BAD. DO YO THANG TASIA AND THE BARRINO FAMILY. LOVE YALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

31. Ms.Tooty says:

I think this a great opportunity for her fans to get a closer look into her lifestyle..i think the show will be a hit as for the others who are not as anxious to se the show i think u should just save your comments u know the saying every grandmother taught u when u were like 5 or 6″ if u don’t have anything nice to say then, don’t say nothing at all”.<<<Wishing fantasia continued success

32. nikkie says:

all these people hating cause a somebody trying to mke a living . fantasia do yo thang i wish i could have a dam show lol!!

33. Anne says:

Fantasia – I can’t even finish watching your show. I love you with all my heart. But I just don’t understand how you can let that good for nothing, trifling, LAZY, ugly, feed-into-the lazy stereotype about black men, brother of yours feast off your hard work! YOU DESERVE BETTER TaTa!

34. kat says:

I LOVE FANTASIA!!! she is a really amazing individual and i love the way she sings, ‘free yourself’ is one of my top all time favorite songs. I really do hope she comes back in a major way and is successful she deserves it! But really doe, she needs to kick most of her fam out her house cause its obvious they are using her for money, her older lame ass brother should be ashamed of himself-i mean really go out and get a job lazy assssssssssss, same for the rest too, the only people she should support on a regular basis is her mom and her daughter of course.

35. Clara says:

I enjoyed the show. I’m very happy for you!!
    Keep up the good work.

36. ricky says:

hey tasia when i get big i cant wait to work with u

37. destiny says:

that is a good show nd ha brother krazy not rico.

38. Mrs.Simpson says:

I wish so much fantasia release a gospel album, I followed her through idol, I purchased her 1st single “I believe” because of the inspiration, and encouragement behind the music, I even purchased the album after the I believe single nice, but I stopped buying there, because I was in transition spiritually. I needed to hear encouragement, inspire me to pull through. I thank her voice is for the ministry, when she realize that her family will be at peace. I just wish she release a gospel album, with about 3,4, or even 5 gospel songs, there is healing in singing when you are singing for the right reason, there is love in singing when you are singing for the right reason, there is hope in singing when you are singing for the right reasons, looking at the reality show for the past 2weeks, I feel that fantasia loves her family so much and she do not want to see them hurt in no way, one of her family members need deliverance, Jesus is the answer, this family has a ministry, that can deliver someone to just be happy with who God made them to be, and not live in the shadows of others. This family is needed in the gospel ministry, They just don’t know it yet. I want to support fantasia and I have hope in her, I think my support will be in gospel, she was wonderful on color purple, the song I’m hear, the world and fantasia need more of it, that’s her the power of inspiration.

39. Mrs.Simpson says:

40. Pamela Garrett says:

#2 is coming soon to VH1!!!!! Yes!!! Fantasia I support you no matter what. Everyone has done somethings that they are not pleased with. So, they need to SHUT UP! Love ya Tasia and GOD will take care of you. Keep your head up and know that you do have REAL FANS!

41. 4923556 says:

What a lovely day for a 4923556! SCK was here

42. blog.vh1.com says:

Fantasias reality is coming to vh1.. Outstanding :)

43. blog.vh1.com says:

Fantasias reality is coming to vh1.. OMG! :)