Hip Hop Honors 2009 Salutes Def Jam Records

Every year VH1 tips the hat to rap’s musical, political, and cultural impact with Hip Hop Honors, and our 2009 show keeps that approach alive by saluting the incredible legacy of Def Jam records. It airs on VH1 on Tuesday, October 13, at 9 pm ET/PT.

Tracy Morgan is this year’s host.

VH1’s Hip Hop Honors 2009 is the first time that the show has honored a record label. For 25 years, Def Jam created the stars that pushed hip hop culture forward, including LL Cool J, Public Enemy, Kanye West, Slick Rick, Rick Ross and Rihanna. The men behind the scenes are as legendary as its artists, including Rick Rubin, Russell Simmons, LA Reid and Jay Z. The Def Jam brand didn’t just innovate in music, it also launched a breakthrough comedy show (Def Comedy Jam), a dynamic spoken-word showcase (Def Poetry Jam), and set trends in fashion, film and advertising. Def Jam led a cultural movement that changed the world.

“It is impossible to pay tribute to the best in hip hop without recognizing Def Jam Records. Throughout the years VH1 has honored numerous artists from the Def Jam label, but due to the magnificent impact that Def Jam as a company has made on not only hip hop culture but pop culture as a whole, we thought they definitely deserved the opportunity to be honored,” says Lee Rolontz, EVP of Music Production.

The show will take place in one of hip-hop’s original musical hot beds, New York’s famed borough of Brooklyn, at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Stayed tuned to the VH1 blog as more updates about Hip Hop Honors 2009.

For more Hip Hop Honors exclusives, check out Global Grind.

globalgrind

1. Lawrence Robertson says:

I was at the Capital Jazz Fest and saw En Vogue last night. I just want to say that I have never seen Women perform with that much power and passion. Their voices and harmony were perfect, and they were not only sexy, but classy. When Michael Jordan played, he left everything on the court. Well, En Vogue left everything on the stage. When their act was over, I was ready to go home. I did’nt want to hear anyone else. As I exited with the croud, everyone was talking about what they had just seen and heard. Truly, I have been blessed by their performance. Thank you En Vogue.

2. Kendo Beyoni says:

Just wanted to know; how can the public nominate someone for the VH1 hip hop honors? I don’t quite understand why these legendary hip hop artists/producers/engineers “Marley Marl, Teddy Riley, Dr DRE and Prince Paul” have’nt been honored as of yet? I would like to see these guys be honored as well… It’s the behind the scene type of people that make these artists (MC’s, rappers, singers, etc.) what they are. Give them their PROPS too!! 1.

3. matt says:

teddy did a couple years ago, but dre yeah he should be next co sign wit marly too , i dont think prince is there yet lot of names before him

4. KEITH says:

I WOULD LIKE TICKETS TO TO HONORS

5. ODB says:

I just heard it’s been cancelled by someone who used to work there. He was supposed to be interviewed and the director/producer called and said LA Reid pulled the plug.

6. Miss HT says:

I have watched hip hop honors for the last two years and each year I say “I would like to get tickets and travel from the UK so I can bust my moves”, can you make this happen? If you can tell me the 3 w’s – the who, where and when???

Miss HT

7. LC says:

That makes 2 of us Miss HT!! If you ever find out… let me know.

Thanks

8. b says:

this sucks!!!!!!!When are you going to honor Oaktown’s 357, MC Hammer, JJ Fad, Bone Thugs in harmony….ughhhhhh this really sucks

9. DEEEE says:

HOW CAN WE GET TIX TO THIS!?

10. The Magnificent says:

EPMD should of been inducted! I also feel that DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Frash Prince as well as Kid N’ Play should have been honored. Kid N’ Play did a lot in such a short time- 4 movies, 1 platinum album, 2 gold albums, a cartoon series (Saturday mornings at 10am on NBC), commericals, etc.

11. The Magnificent says:

EPMD should of BEEN honored!!! I don’t get that one. And when they are, I hope DJ Scratch is standing right alongside Erick and Parrish. Also, what about DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince (not Will Smith) as well as Kid N’ Play!!! Kid N’ Play did a lot. They had 1 platinum album, 2 gold albums, a cartoon series on NBC, commericals and 4 movies! Everyone knows when they see a hightop fade, the first person that comes to mind is Kid!

12. lo head says:

how do i get tickets and how do you become part of the show

13. LC says:

Just came across this link. looks like its taping on 23rd September.

14. MistaJohn says:

You cannot overlook 3rd Bass if you’re celebrating Def Jam – without Public Enemy and 3rd Bass, the honor won’t be complete. VH1, make certain to book PE and 3rd Bass!

15. Sammy Jankis says:

Everybody is talkin about who should been inducted and i agree with a lot of what has been said, but everybody is sleepin on OUTKAST. They switched styles and progressed on every album, and none of those albums sound like anything anybody else has done so show kast some love please!!!!!!!

16. BlueFly says:

Word Kendo,
    I mean Naughty by Nature and Ice Tee before Doug E. Fresh or Funky Four Plus One or even Spoonie Gee? Come on? I’m lost VH1? What do you define as Hip Hop?

17. Derik says:

I think it’s about time that the king of rap Kurtis Blow get his long overdue honor. Please include him in the 2009 class VH1.

18. Mary J says:

When are you going to honor Scarface, the Godfather of Southern Rap, you honored Missy before him. Shame on YOU. There would be no T.I. Ludacris, hell Lil Wayne if it wasn’t for Scarface.

19. Bobby "Boot" cowan says:

My comment is and I quote” I am sick and tired of my partner “The Original Jazzy Jay” has not recieved his proper due respect as THE original partner with Rick Rubin who actually started Def Jam Records before Russell Simmons came into the picture. People really need to get the facts straight and it’s time Russell face the facts that he swindled Jay out of Def Jam and has never publicly admitted to this fact. It was even posted on Rick Rubin’s My space page.

The very first record produced and released by Def Jam was “It’s Yours” by T LA Rock produced by Jazzy Jay on Party Time/ Def Jam Records. If Jazzy Jay is not recognized on this years hip-hop honors it will be just another kick in the face for one of hip-hop’s greatest pioneer DJ’s and Producer, and just another lie and mirror show for Russell. Hell, why do you think they are celebrating Def Jam this year anyway on this show? because it’s excecutive producer of the hip-hop honors show is Russell Simmons, so it’s just him trying to pat himself on the back without giving credit where it is truly due. Squarely on the person who actually started the whole Def Jam phenomenom in the first place. “THE ORIGINAL JAZZY JAY”!!!

Also, I am inclined to write the same information to some of the industry magazines. I hope Russell gets to see this comment cause personally I think he his a piece of —-. He needs to take some lessons from Run and realize everything comes to the light at some point. You need some spiritual teachings and learn the meaning of integrity.

Bobby “Boot” Cowan

v/p Jazzy Jay Productions

20. Bobby "Boot" cowan says:

My comment is this and I quote” I am sick and tired of my partner “The Original Jazzy Jay” has not recieved his proper due respect as THE original partner with Rick Rubin who actually started Def Jam Records before Russell Simmons came into the picture”. People really need to get the facts straight and it’s time Russell face the facts that he swindled Jay out of Def Jam and has never publicly admitted to this fact. It was even posted on Rick Rubin’s My space page.

Bobby “Boot” Cowan

v/p Jazzy Jay Productions

21. lo head says:

where can i get tickets??

22. p.l.a.n.e.t Ox- bgirl wonderwoman says:

Hip Hop 4 elements :
    graffiti which is one
    djing which is two
    emceeing which is three
    bboyin’ which is four

…. I honestly I feel that the hip hop honors is not showing or representing hip hop to its fullest it should be based on its timeline and how hip hop is evolving

23. James says:

I heard Onyx will be there too. That’s great. One of the hardest rap groups of all time and most underrated. I hope they do Last Dayz!!

24. Wayne ibarra says:

It would be great to see E.P.M.d.!!!your #1 Fan Wayne…

25. chris thermo says:

My picks for the honorees this year

1-EPMD
    2-Queen Latifah
    3-Nice and Smooth
    4-Kid and Play
    5-Kool G Rap
    6-Leaders of the New School
    7-Brand Nubian

26. Project Wideawake says:

WTH..? It is impossible to pay tribute to the best in hip hop without recognizing The Cold Crush Brothers! Who do you have working there…5th graders?

27. kareem says:

how can i get tickets to the hip hop honors show?

28. Melanie says:

When are you guys gonna finally recognize The Fat Boys????????????????????????????????

29. Eddie says:

ASHANTI is gonna perform too!!!

30. michael towler says:

how would i be able to gain tickets to the hip hop honors. i woul like tickets

31. The Only Child says:

Thats a GOOD IDEA: Honor Marley Marley, Hurby “Luv Bug” Azor, Bomb Squad, Dr Dre, Pete Rock, Premier, Just Blaze, Kanye West, Timbaland. (Those are the artist who produced some of the greatest Hip Hip Records in History). To the guy below. MC Hammer, Oaktown 357, JJ Fad, Tone Loc. Were all GARBAGE FAD PLATINUM SELLING GEMMICKS that had nothing to do with REAL HIP HOP CULTURE. NWA, Ice Cube, Ice Tee, Too Short, Snoop, Suge Knight. That is Where the West get its Hip Hop Props.

32. DEATH HOUSE out now, on Itunes. says:

DEF JAM KEEP DOING IT BIG…. Google BLAM NATION!

33. kiki mccray says:

how are you not gonna honor the pioneers before you honor the new rappers. Where’s Kurtis Blow, Whodini, Rakim, Queen Latifah, Kool Moe Dee, Sugar Hill Gang. COME ON VH1.

34. Tez says:

queens in the house, MURDER INC WATS HATING, JA RULE DO YO THING

35. jesus rodriguez says:

Bone Thugs N Harmony should perform at Hip Hp Honors since they’re coming back with a new album ALL FIVE OF THEM!!!!

36. DNLee says:

I’m live microblogging my reaction to the VH1 Hip Honors #VH1Honors @fetesociety. check it out on twitter.com

37. Greg Berry says:

LUDA IS PERFORMING AT MY SCHOOL ON THE 29TH!!!!!! CAN’T WAIT!!!

38. olskoolrich says:

They MUST honor:

Marley Marl
    EPMD (a shame they’re not in!)
    Jay Z
    The Roots
    Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

39. Toni J. says:

Hello Vh1, I watched the Hip Hop Honors program honoring Def Jam and was very disappointed because Run DMC was not represented on the show. I just don’t understand it. That was so upsetting to me. I hope you can make up for this mistake somehow. How do you not acknowledge the first rap group on Def Jame?

40. Chinita Pigford says:

Hello All, I have to first start off by saying I was so glad to see DMX. I Love this rapper he’s in my top 3 of rappers and that consist of Jay Z, DMX, and Scarface!! I live in Atlanta, and the next morning on V103. They played the live version of DMX song from the Def Jam Honors, on the radio. That really brightened up my day. I enjoyed all the performances and thought the show was a success. God Bless to all the performers, Russell Simmons,Rick Rubin,and the Def Jam family. Chinita Pigford (ATL)!!

41. Muffie says:

I wanna kno wat i gtta do 2 get on my own damn show? Television steady givn dumb !`(~*&$^~))!@`$ people shows so why not giv me 1 damn it?

42. josue says:

mmm la mera neta me gusta demasiado el hip op y el rap

43. rodrigo says:

estubo mortalaso warren-g jay-z onyx rick ross def jam lomas grande loco!!!!!! aca llego algo tardepero buenisimo que lo pasaron rodrigo argentina

44. LoFi Ex says:

Hi guys,

Im an avid hiphop lover I find it cruel that I cant watch the show in Holland every year I sa it.
    Now the one from 2009 is not viewable to people in my region.

I love hiphop so much and wait the whole year to see my idols.
    I guess its just stupid.

45. Kim says:

I think that Arsenio Hall should be one of the honorees for the 2010 VH1 Hip Hop Honors because if it wasn’t for his show in the late 80′s – early 90′s, a lot of hip hop and rap artists, such as NWA, Snoop Dog, etc. would not have had exposure to mainstream America (since mainstream America watched Arsenio’s show). I hope that someone affiliated with the Hip Hop Honors show sees this message and at least thinks about my suggestion. Thank you!

46. Nea Nea says:

Not quite sure what everyone else is speaking of, but I am still enjoying the 2009 VH1 Honors, its’ a classic, salute to Def Jam, and the artist that were featured, one for collector’s shelves! Wow!!! Loved it too much to compliment, all I can say BET audiences think 2009 & 2010 BET Awards were the best awards show on television, this show was so crazy, Steve Rubin, Russell Simmons (wow-some guy really think he knows Russell’s story better than Russell himself?), I’ve never seen a better show on television period, sick, bananas, off the chain. Now that’s entertainment!! LL, Kidd Rock, the MC for the evening Tracy Morgan, Mary J., Meth & Redman, the Roots, Enimen, Flavor Flav & Public Enemy, Fab, Foxy, Rick Ross, just to name a few…..I will enjoy this for years to come!!!

47. Sic says:

Are we talkin of Def Jam Artists and we mentioning Kanye West, Rihanna, Rick Ross. None of these put Def Jam on the map, Def Jam put dem on
    Def Jam Artists we should be talkin DMX, LL Cool J, period.

48. blog.vh1.com says:

Hip hop honors 2009 salutes def jam records.. Nifty :)

49. 4543766 says:

What a lovely day for a 4543766! SCK was here

50. blog.vh1.com says:

Hip hop honors 2009 salutes def jam records.. Reposted it :)

51. Whatever your choice is, by means of an Bing based reserve look optimistic be able to quickly in addition to easily response your question of “Who was as soon as that called?”