Diva Battles: Diana Ross Vs. Debbie Harry

“VH1 Divas” is back and airing live on Sept. 17 at 9PM EST. In honor of this iconic event we’ve got some of the best performances from past Divas shows, duking it out in an A-List caliber cage match. Check out the clips and vote for your favorite in the poll above, and don’t forget to check out the official VH1 Divas site for more videos, photos and news about the upcoming show.

First up: Diana Ross and Debbie Harry battle it out below the jump!

One was a 60s soul icon with plenty of disco-era resonance. The other was 70s punk rock babe with – yep – plenty of disco-era resonance. Check the way that Diana Ross uses glamor to help her sell one of Motown’s most indelible hits. Her performance at the 2000 Divas show kicked off the new millennium with plenty of class, a fab ‘fro and some nifty background dancers.

But does it trump the one-two punch of Deborah Harry rolling through “Rapture” in 2004 looking like a Lady GaGa prototype, and having her special guest Eve bring some righteous flow to the party? The answer’s up to you. Cast your vote, and lay some comments on us.

1. Vicky says:

Diana trumps all!

2. Kristen says:

Go Debbie!

3. Amy says:

Debbie! Debbie! Debbie! Debbie!

4. buddy says:

I love Diana. She gets my vote everytime! BRAVO DIANA!

5. franco says:

DIANA IS THE ONE AND ONLY BEST ARTIST OF ALL TIME !
    DIANA, THERE’S NO ONE LIKE YOU.

6. Rob says:

Diana Ross is the ultimate pop diva of all time. Diva-1,
    supreme entertainer, she is iconic legend that has changed and shaped music history and culture. Few artists ever come close to achieving such a revered status. Diana Ross to me, has been, and will always be the greatest entertainer that has ever performed.

7. Greg says:

DIANA,DIANA,DIANA…………….
    Are you kidding me here?
    There is simply no comparison.
    Diana is the ultimate SUPERSTAR!

8. John Scott says:

DIANA ROSS IS THE BEST DEBBIE IS A FAT COW

9. Carl Aird says:

Debbie was a million times better than Daina. Debbie is a goddess!

10. John Scott says:

Debbie was a million times better than Daina. Debbie is a goddess!
    Carl Aird, I’ll kill you for that! VH1 Police, arrest that man who used my name above!!!
    He’s a psychotic Diana Ross fan and needs to be put away.

11. John Scott says:

Carl Aird is a young fertile GOD! I wish I was more like him! and DIANA ROSS sold more units than Debbie Hairy wished she had!!!!
    GOD SHE IS SOOO FAT FAT FAT!!

12. robert says:

Diana is the true performer and only diva!

13. Leanne says:

PSH, Debbie is in no way fat. I will be grateful to look anywhere close to her when I get to her age. You people are blind as damn bats! At least she doesn’t look like she just got electrocuted like Diana up there, and compared to Debbie’s video, Diana’s performance was just plain boring. The results speak for themself, Debbie is winning!

14. Debbie Hairy says:

That was just one of Diana Ross’s 18 # 1 songs I have like 2

15. Chris T. says:

Is Leanne blind? Diana Ross is the supreme winner here!
    What becomes a legend most is Ross’ style and grace in performing. Leanne’s superficial comments obviously show she’s not up on current events. Both Diana and Debbie have put on weight over the last two decades but they both continue to perform and that’s a great thing for all of us. Both Ross and Harry are great performers but their music styles are very different and I find it very hard to compare. I love them both very much but when all is said and done, Diana Ross has left a much greater impact on the world of music than most other artists, female or male. She ranks up there with Elvis and the Beatles and while recent history has shown other artists with great chart success such as Madonna or Mariah, only time will tell if these artists will stand the test of time and be remembered as legendary. Diana already is and has been legendary for several decades. And she’s still going today! Deborah Harry is wonderful and Diana Ross is supreme.

16. RICK says:

SORRY DEBBIE HARRY COULD NOT HOLD A CANDLE TO MISS ROSS, DIANA IS AN ICONIC ENTERTAINER THAT IS GLAMOROUS, BEAUTIFUL (EVEN AT 65), A SILKIER VOICE AND A VOICE THAT ALL GENERATIONS KNOW. DEBBIE IS A HAS BEEN PUNK ROCKER WHO IN MY OPINION RUINED PUNK ROCK BEFORE AVRIL LAVIGN DID.

17. RICK says:

August 22nd, 2009 at 7:59 pm

LEANN GET A HEARING AID…AND SOME GLASSES….DEBBIE IS FAT…AND DIANA HAS A MORE BEAUTIFUL VOICE 18 #1S AND A SLEW OF TOP TWENTY HITS FROM THE SUPREMES TO HER SOLO…DEBBIE CAN NOT MATCH DIANA IS SALES OR CLASS…DEBBIES IS ONE CLASSLESS ACT! DIANA ALL THE WAY!

18. William says:

DEBBIE!

Diana was the reason Diva’s went from AMAZINGLY HOT to just luke warm.

19. Jackie says:

Love them both for style and energy, but on any given day- hour there’s a Diana Ross/Supremes earworm in my head-maybe because Diana’s been around longer…great memories! Plus as a young Black girl growing up, Diana Ross’ style, beauty was something to be emulated! And still is! My vote definitely, Diana Ross – The Boss!

20. Graham says:

“Diva Battles” = crap idea. VH1, is this the best you can do?

21. keith temple says:

diana is the best know will ever take her place ever go diana go gil

is the best and as been for the last forthy ye0…
    123

s
    diana ross is the best know one better than her and she is still going more than i can say about anyone else diana go go diana go

22. J. King says:

Debbie Harry is a great performer,who still looks great, and sounds great, but its not fair to pit her against the original Diva Miss Ross….. Diana looks, sounds, and just is one of the worlds most awesome,dynamic and entertaining artist ever!!!! She is totally in a class by herself..in fact she actually invented the class.

23. Samantha D. says:

Diana and Debbie are the queens of two different music genre’s so comparing the two is a little unfair.

Many of you are being downright rude which is very uncalled for and is not needed. Very childish. I would hardly consider Debbie fat as some of you put it, I agree with the person who said before me they would be lucky to look like her at her age, and I would have to say too when I am in my 50′s (I’m guessing, I don’t know how old Debbie is now) I would be more than happy to look like Debbie. She looks better than ever now in 2009 anyways, this video was from a few years ago.

24. Barbara says:

Diana Ross is the NUMBER 1 Female Artist of all time (Rock & Roll ERA and beyond)! No other female artist (AND I MEAN NO OTHER AT ALL!) can compare with Diana Ross’ achievements over the last 40 years. And she’s still out there performing! There may be newer divas coming out all the time but the sheer class act of Diana Ross will never be diminished. Beyonce` and Mariah should count their blessings that Diana Ross has paved a very smooth road for them to follow. No other female artists (white or black) have ever really come close to touching the riches that Ross has bestowed upon the music industry. It may sound korny or cliche but Diana Ross is supreme.

25. keith temple says:

diana ross is the one and only no more to say

26. pdxmailman says:

Come on….there’s no comparison. Diana’s been a star since the 60′s, has sold over 150 million records, Oscar nominated actress, 12 grammy nominations, a total class act. Diana is the BOSS.

27. J. Gwinn says:

Being asked to compare Diana Ross is like being asked to compare apples to oranges. One (Miss Ross) has been around since I was a teen-ager(the 60′s) and the other – well I guess she was hot in the ’70′s. Ross just completed a very successful “memories” tour in the US at the age of 65 to glowing reviews. Where is Debbie Harry?
    Ross has had 19 number 1 singles (counting “We are the world”. Next to that Maria Carey has 18. Even though Ross sang with the Supremes on 12 of those, it was her voice, charm and class that carried them to the top! Keep on singing Diana ’till you drop. The world loves you!!

28. Alex says:

Both these women are very talented but I think that Debbie Harry is more talented. Diana Ross has been labeled one of the best female vocalists of all time. Debbie’s voice is more beautiful and she was never given as much credit and hype.