Real: The Face Of Moral Purity

In what is surely the strangest VH1-related endorsement since Lip Chap, the video above features Real Chance of Love‘s Real shilling for Sexual Revolution, a book aimed at “young adults, teens, fathers, mothers, and grandparents [who] want to shake off the slime of depravity and the bondage of religion, and enter into the joy of passionate purity.” This is confusing for a variety of reasons. Among them:

- Real says that he was celibate for eight years “prior to me and my brother doing our first show.” (It’s unclear if he’s referring to the first season of his show or I Love New York.)

- He says he lost that celibacy and was lusting after a woman (was it Milf?), but the book seems to have changed that…which is weird, since he and Chance have seemed to have no shortage of lust so far this season (they named a girl after her sizable butt, for crying out loud!).

- Real repeatedly states that the book is helpful, but doesn’t say how. Unless it’s implied that it helped him get back in touch with his celibacy. Which, again, really?

- The author, Kris Vallotton, says that the truth about sexuality is that God created it, and He likes it. OK, but on the order page, the book is billed as “non-religious,” and in the same sentence, says it’s a “fresh look at a subject as old as Adam and Eve.” So it is but it isn’t, then. (Also, you’re ordering it from a church. Not that that makes it religious or anything.)

- By being called Sexual Revolution, the book aims to reclaim the term from the culture-altering movement of the last century. Ambitious!

- The clip seems to have originated at a site reserved for a new hair product of Real’s. Because if there’s anything that goes hand-in-hand with chastity, surely it is long, silky hair.

Real Chance of Love 2 show page
Real Chance of Love videos and extras

1. BlakeD says:

LOL Rich, wtf went wrong when you posted this blog?

2. Rach says:

Rich confusing the enter key for a spacebar is the least confusing part of the post. Real needs to stick to craptastic viral videos and leave product-endorsement to real celebs.

3. Rich Juzwiak says:

I really don’t get what you guys are talking about. Is the layout messed up? It looks fine to me…

4. Laura says:

So, I don’t remember everything on VH1 being this exciting a year ago. I’ve been pretty sad about the whole Ryan the murderer thing, but between Real Chance and My Antonio, I’m falling in love with this ridiculous network all the more.

5. Tev says:

So Real’s endorsing a book about sexual celibacy. What’s next, Antonio Sabato Jr. endorsing a book about finding inner beauty?

6. Rachell says:

It
    can
    be
    really
    annoying.

7. Lii says:

Yeah, Rich, the formatting of this blog post hurts my brain almost as much as the topic. It looks like you got stuck on text wrap but didn’t insert a picture, maybe?

8. Amazon says:

HOW DO I GET ON THISSHOW I WANT REAL AND I AM 6’3 SLIM PLEASE TELL ME REAL HOLLA AT ME

9. rumpleskin says:

i don’t like junk! she talks a lot of junk! lol !

10. rumpleskin says:

please get rid of junk! she talks a lot of junk to everybody, she got no class! it is not being black.. it is where you coming from. dang! poor blondballer. whatever she is going through it is ok but she does not desearve people picking on her. P.S & Junk have to go!

11. Ivy Lee says:

This is weird..

12. Kris Vallotton says:

I am the author this book. A friend of mine gave the book originally entitled, “Purity, The New Moral Revolution”, to “Real” when he was shooting the “Real Chance of Love 2″ show. He was so moved by the book that he wanted to meet me. When we met he was honest about his sexual struggle and said he wished he had understood the truths of this book when he was growing up. It was then that I decided to find a way to reach the Ahmad’s of the world with the book. I changed the ()_%(#___!!*$@# le to “Sexual Revolution” and asked “Real” to write a statement about how the book had impacted him. I actually got the idea for this book while working with probation kids so it seems appropriate that Ahmad is helping connect me with the people I wrote it for in the first place. This last year Ahmad and I have become close and I am proud to call him my friend. I am sorry if this is hard for some to understand…I certainly would have questioned the idea myself. But the daily testimonies that come from this book are worth the misunderstanding for me. Kris Vallotton

13. Kris Vallotton says:

I am the author this book. A friend of mine gave the book originally entitled, “Purity, The New Moral Revolution”, to “Real” when he was shooting the “Real Chance of Love 2″ show. He was so moved by the book that he wanted to meet me. When we met he was honest about his sexual struggle and said he wished he had understood the truths of this book when he was growing up. It was then that I decided to find a way to reach the Ahmad’s of the world with the book. I changed the ))@!^!($@~!`&!$ le to “Sexual Revolution” and asked “Real” to write a statement about how the book had impacted him. I actually got the idea for this book while working with probation kids so it seems appropriate that Ahmad is helping connect me with the people I wrote it for in the first place. This last year Ahmad and I have become close and I am proud to call him my friend. I am sorry if this is hard for some to understand…I certainly would have questioned the idea myself. But the daily testimonies that come from this book are worth the misunderstanding for me. Kris Vallotton

14. kris vallotton says:

I am the author this book. A friend of mine gave the book originally entitled, “Purity, The New Moral Revolution”, to “Real” when he was shooting the “Real Chance of Love 2″ show. He was so moved by the book that he wanted to meet me. When we met he was honest about his sexual struggle and said he wished he had understood the truths of this book when he was growing up. It was then that I decided to find a way to reach the Ahmad’s of the world with the book. I changed the #(`##_^_%&#%!)~ le to “Sexual Revolution” and asked “Real” to write a statement about how the book had impacted him. I actually got the idea for this book while working with probation kids so it seems appropriate that Ahmad is helping connect me with the people I wrote it for in the first place. This last year Ahmad and I have become close and I am proud to call him my friend. I am sorry if this is hard for some to understand…I certainly would have questioned the idea myself. But the daily testimonies that come from this book are worth the misunderstanding for me. Kris Vallotton