The Celebreality Interview – Miranda

ma_final_bb_33

Antonio called Miranda “a true original,” and he wasn’t kidding. The angel-card-reading, cuticle-oil-loving cosmopolitan “recluse” talks below about coming in second place to Brooke, whether she was really in love with Antonio, surviving a spider bite (and Yvonne!) and the life-enriching power of reality TV.

How was your time on the show?

It was really one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Just the amount of freedom I felt: freedom from myself, and daily restrictions that you tend to put on yourself. It was something new: this wild adventure.

You didn’t seem too heartbroken when Antonio chose Brooke over you.

After the first attempt at a final lei ceremony, I was so physically exhausted by my anxiety attack in the helicopter. I was so fatigued, so tired, I could hardly stand up. That night, I had a dream, and I knew he was going to pick Brooke. After I had my one-on-one with Antonio, I just knew that for whatever reason — I don’t know his reason, and we may never really know what the reason behind his choice – he was going to pick Brooke. And then when we got up to Buddha Point, and I look behind us, I see our names written in the rocks. And there’s Brooke and Antonio in the center, and then there’s Miranda off to the side. Well, I mean, it wasn’t that hard to figure out. I wasn’t going to fall to pieces.

Was there any sort of heartbreak involved?

I was sad, and I was a little disappointed. I wouldn’t really say “heartbroken.” I don’t know if “confused” is the right word. I didn’t really don’t know what I was feeling.

Did you get over it quickly?

Yeah, I did. It was weird, within 10 minutes of Antonio saying goodbye to me at Buddha Point, they gave me back my cell phone, and I called my best friend, Joey. He started crying on the phone. His dog has died when I was filming the show. So, I went from Antonio saying goodbye, to Joey really needing me. It was kind of like, “Next. OK, it’s time to move on with your life.” The circle of life, it just continues. It was kind of almost symbolic of the experience coming full circle.

You did at one point say that you thought you were falling in love with Antonio. Looking back, were you really?

Antonio is not hard to fall in love with. He’s a great guy. And when you’re with one man for 30 days, and that’s your focus and where your attention is and where your heart is, in essence…I wasn’t lying.

I didn’t know if you were just caught up in the moment.

Not really. Honestly, I’m not in love with Antonio now, but I still really respect him as a person. I don’t regret one second of our time together in Hawaii, and it’s something I’ll always treasure in my heart.

What do you think about the fact that Brooke and Antonio are no longer together?

Frankly, I’m not surprised at all. Brooke’s a good girl, and I like her. But I just felt like, with me, it’s “what you see is what you get.” I don’t really pretend to be something I’m not. The producers really do their focus and do their skew. The world thinks I’m so high maintenance, and that’s just…whatever. Not to change the subject, but in reality, I’m easy-going, down to earth, grounded, nonjudgmental, open-minded. That’s what’s important, not lipstick and cuticle oil.

There’s superficial high maintenance, and then there’s emotional high maintenance.

Exactly. I mean, of course body hygiene, grooming, beauty treatments are all important. Those are things I enjoy. Those are things that I want in a mate, in a friend, in anyone in my life. But regarding the question about Antonio and Brooke not being together, the whole show Antonio’s big line was “Brooke always has a smile on her face. Brooke is always happy.” Nobody is always happy all of the time. It’s just not natural. As human beings, we experience a gazillion emotions a day. So my perception of it was maybe that she was trying to be something that it’s impossible to be all of the time. So in that regard, he wasn’t really seeing the true Brooke. He got the true Miranda, and he really liked the true Miranda. He may still like the true Miranda.

Have you talked to him?

Just on Facebook. He friended me on Facebook. And when my dog almost died, he sent me some really nice messages and was concerned for Ollie. He knows how much Ollie means to me. It meant a lot to me that he reached out to me then. But as far as any other contact: no, we haven’t seen each other, and he hasn’t called me.

You and Brooke were particularly a particularly civil Final 2, but you had some pointed interviews about her. So what is your overall feeling on Brooke? Is she the cheerleader that you hate, that you were just getting along with because you had to?

I don’t hate anybody, so I definitely didn’t hate Brooke. She may have annoyed me, and there were times when I could see right through her. I felt that she could be judgmental of me or critical. She would be smiling, but not really smiling. I’m a very good judge of character. I’m an intuitive feeler as a person. It’s just that she’s from the South, and Southern women are raised like that: to have a smile on their face at all times. But for the most part, we understood each other.

On the show, you said how you overcame a hundred fears. It really helped you change as a person?

I had never even flown on an airplane by myself, so to step on not one but two airplanes to go to Hawaii alone was huge for me as a person. And then there were all of the things along the way with Antonio: the zip line and the helicopter and the heights. That’s on top of being in a house with fifteen different women. I’m really not used to all that estrogen.

It’s interesting, because my initial impression of you was that you were cosmopolitan and Sex and the City-like.

That’s kind of the enigma about me, because I am cosmopolitan. I live in New York City. I have two degrees in fashion. I’ve been a working actress and makeup artist for the last ten years. I love beauty and glamor. But I’m just a homebody at heart. I love building my apartment. I love entertaining in my home with my friends. I’m really rooted.

You used the word “recluse” at one point in reference to yourself.

I tease that I’m a little Greta Garbo-ish. I like to be alone, I enjoy my own company. And sometimes I do have to push myself to go out. There are times that I’d rather be home in my robe and slippers and glasses with my dog, Ollie, not having to go out. There are plenty of red carpets that I turn down for many premieres, because I’d just rather be at home.

Because you’re an actress, how much did the promise of exposure factor into your reason for doing this show?

Next to zero. That wasn’t my reason. In fact, because I’ve been acting for several years – on The Guiding Light and All My Children in various recurring parts, and I’ve worked on 30 Rock and an independent movie, Cupidity – I have my SAG and AFTRA cards. It’s not like I just woke up and said, “I want to be an actress, I’ll be on a reality show.” And some people warned me about going from acting to reality, but I just wondered, why can’t I do both? My limit myself? I actually found out about this show by going to my AFTRA meeting. They gave me a copy of Backstage and in the back was a listing for the Antonio Sabato Jr., Project.

And you had a crush on him, right?

I wasn’t a lovesick fan or anything, but yeah, my poster is still hanging up on the door of my old bedroom in my parents’ house. He’s right next to Brad Pitt, so he’s in good company.

You got along with Tully better than most of the girls, right?

Definitely. I think she’s a good girl. We’re friends. The girls were so adamant and just crazed about her presence, but what could we do? She was there. I learned a lot from Tully. She’s a very smart woman. I like to be around smart people.

Similarly, Yvonne wasn’t particularly hard on you.

I liked Yvonne, and I wanted her to like me. We had a lot more in common than maybe she knew. We both have Yorkies. Yvonne friended me on Facebook a couple of months ago. I accepted her friendship. She was a bit harsh about my spider bite, though.

Yeah, that was ridiculous.

It was ridiculous and it was actually rude. I think she just wanted to say something to dig at me and she didn’t really know what to say. You know, to say I didn’t want to sculpt that day was bulls***. I went to art school, and we got our nails done every week anyway. That was in my contract.

Really?

Yeah. Antonio likes good hands and feet, and I’m used to getting a manicure and pedicure every week. I couldn’t just go on an island and let myself fall to pieces. So I told them, “We’re gonna need a little maintenance.” But yeah, the spider bite was about the size of a quarter, and when the producers finally found out, they got me to a hospital. My priority is myself, and I wasn’t going to risk my health for any man. I never got an apology from Yvonne, and I heard that she’s still talking about it in some interview she recently did.

In all, do you have any regrets?

No. “Non, je ne regrette rien,” like Edith Piaf. My Reiki Master told me before the show that the universe wouldn’t send me anywhere that would bring me harm, and that Hawaii was a very sacred and special place, and that I’d be protected there. Ultimately I was. I left with a feeling of peace on my heart and a sense of pride at what I’d accomplished.

Keep up with Miranda via her Facebook and follow her on Twitter.

The Celebreality Interview – Brooke
The Celebreality Interview – Tully
My Antonio show page
My Antonio videos
Antonio Sabto, Jr. – Exclusive Video Interview

1. Dr. Logic says:

on the show ‘My Antonio’ I felt that Miranda acted very much like a lady, even though she was dissapointed for not being chosen, she did not fall apart and took things gracefully.
    Congratulations Miranda!

2. Ariel says:

Miranda, you are just too adorable. I just so love your attitude and your approach to life, it is infinitely refreshing. It was so OBVIOUS that Antonio had a connection with you and not Brooke – but the producers/editors LOVE a twist, that’s why it’s “reality TV”. I thought your photo shoot was the best – no makeup, skimpy pajamas and you just were like, so what? Let’s have fun! Whereas Brooke was FREAKED OUT, couldn’t handle it! Dare I say, you deserve better than mamma’s boy Antonio, and the universe will certainly send a better man your way soon! :)

3. LYNETTE says:

I AM STUNNED THAT ANTONIO WOULD CHOOSE BROOKE. IF HE WAS NOT GOING TO BE WITH TULLY THEN HE SHOULD HAVE CHOSE MIRANDA. AT LEAST MIRANDA WAS ABLE TO OVERCOME HER FEARS. MIRANDA IS A BEAUTIFUL PERSON, AND IS REAL WITH ALL OF QUIRKS IN LIFE. BROOKE WAS MY FIRST CHOICE OF WHO I THOUHGT SHOULD BE WITH ANTONIO, BUT OVER TIME IT CHANGED IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN TULLY, AND THEN MIRANDA. ANTONIO’S MOTHER “OH MY” WHAT A ~@%#*@~~*!((~**!^ INSTEAD OF BEING A RESPONSIBLE PERSON WITH GOOD VALUES. SHE WAS A ~@%#*@~~*!((~**!^ AND A BAD PERSON. I SAY ANY WOMEN WHO WAS AROUND YVONNE AT ANY TIME AND DID NOT WANT TO DECK HER. I SAY YVONNE YOU WERE LUCKY TO HAVE TULLY, AND MIRANDA IN YOUR LIFE. YVONNE COULD LEARN MANNERS, AND HOW TO BE LADY FROM THOSE TWO. GET A CLUE YVONNE.

4. Heather C says:

Miranda – You cracked me up for the entire show. You’re blessed with such honesty & humor – and I think you are – kind. What more can you ask for.

5. lala says:

I love Miranda she’s awesome!!!

6. John says:

Don’t worry about losing Miranda, because we all wanted you to win! Please be in the future of vh1!

7. Ms. G says:

Because of Miranda, this show was hilarious, fun, & entertaining! What the hell was Antonio thinking? I was in shock when he chose Brooke! VH1 is probably in the process of putting together a reality show all about Miranda!!! It’s obvious Miranda was the star of this show, but if she had her own show… that would be THE BEST!!!

8. Breanna says:

Tully, I hope that happiness finds, i was hoping and praying that you would win, i cried every time you did, i am going to take your experience and grow myself. you are amazing.

9. carmen says:

i am so glad Antonio didnt pick Miranda.I didnt like her since the cuticle oil remark.that was so rude! i think she was materialistic,self centered,fake,& too high maint.

10. KAREN says:

YOU’RE COOL MIRANDA

11. margie says:

Miranda you were the best choice, Loved the show – Antonio lost!!!

12. margie says:

Miranda you were perfect for Antonio – Antonio’s lost!!!

13. Alina says:

I knew it! Miranda is ENFP (fellow ENFP here). Everything about her screamed Intuitive Feeler, same as with Tully, actually.

I always was a huge fan of Miranda, but it made perfect sense why she didn’t win. It wasn’t right with her and Antonio and they didn’t quite click. He was both fascinated and baffled by her NFness, but at the end of the day he just didn’t get it. Miranda if you’re reading this: Antonio is SP and Brooke is SJ, that’s just the way it had to be….

14. Olivia says:

I wish Antonio would have chosen Miranda. She’s so nice & just so darn likeable! She’s one of my favorite contestants out of all the reality shows that i’ve seen…and trust me, I watch lots of reality shows. Antonio missed out on a good woman, for sure.

15. Alex says:

Miranda, it was such a pleasure to watch the show and get to know you, even through the lens of the camera. I loved how genuine and vulnerable you were. That kind of thing is what guys love, as I suspect you know from having gotten that far in the selection. You’re beautiful, warm and absolutely adorable. I don’t know you from adam, but I feel like you could be a best friend 10 minutes after meeting you. I’m happy that you gained so much from the show and wish you a beautiful, happy and fun life ahead. — Alex

16. Samantha says:

I was so sad for Miranda when she had to leave, but a woman that wonderful is destined to meet a man worthy of her love.

17. adam says:

miranda is a piece of %^`+`#@^^@!^)@#( enough said i grew up with her and she’s nothing but a stuck up fat cvnt, somethings never change. Ill give u props ur acting was actually believable but we can never forget ur choke up in high school… ya dumb b!tch

18. delila says:

Miranda, he should’ve picked you! You were so cool through the whole ordeal! My whole family was hoping he’d pick you, obviously Brook wasnt all that since they’re no longer together. I thought she was “too good” and a bit fake. I think your a great woman and will find the lucky guy. Atleast you learned alot about yourself and returned a new woman with a new understanding about yourself. Looking at the show I think you were in the lead until the last copter ride and the get ready under 10 minutes thing- next time grab your glasses and some lipstick and hit the door- your beautiful- one day you couldve gone without the moisturizer- anyway I hope the best for you! MUAH! YOUR BEAUTIFUL !!

19. norgegal says:

I cringed when Antonio picked Brooke. She looked absolutely desperate. It was clearly a mistake…something women can see in other women usually. Men tend to be oblivious to the measures women like brooke will go to…and she went to extremes to bag him.
    I too, thought Miranda was the better choice. much more attractive hands down. honestly what did he see in brooke? she was not very pretty unless packed with make-up. Now Tully looked gorgeous always…and she rarely wore much make-up. she was hands down the most attractive women on the show. no wonder she was his 1st love.
    as 4 brooke it was no surprise to learn antonio wanted to see other women shortly avter their departure vrom the show. she would bore me to tears.

20. Ashley says:

We all wanted you too win honey.
    When i saw miranda loose, i coulda jumped in
    the t.v. and smacked antonio.

21. Natasha says:

simply put…Brooke is very much that cheeleader/popular girl that you could never really hang with because her world seems perfect. Miranda, is like your best girlfriend. Odd, funny, but always true to you and to herself.

I absolutely thought she made this show. Again, I am going to echo other’s comments by saying, VH1 should do a reality show about Miranda. Maybe love in the NYC-Miranda style. C’mon if those silly “Hills” girls can do it Miranda could do it better!

22. Danielle says:

I’m all for Team Tully T-shirts, anyone else?

23. Theresa says:

I was totally rooting for Miranda the whole time.

24. nicole says:

I am super upset! I totally think Antonio made the wrong choice! You are a specail person and a true person! He will see! You should have your own show!

25. Maria says:

Listen Miranda…. I really did root for you on My Antonio but to say that girls from the south are raised to “just to keep a smile on their face” is dead wrong!

I would have definitely been real and got up in your face for that comment. -and isn’t Brooke from MS? That’s not the south sweetheart…

anyway, i really did like you. just lose the ignorance =)

26. Holland says:

I think most of us could sense a little bit more of a warmth/sincerity about Miranda, this sort of quirky humor that made her endearing to watch, versus the all times Brooke’s smile did seem awkwardly insincere- I’d like to see more of Miranda. A very cool girl. =]

27. Kayla says:

MIRANDA ON THE SHOW SEEMED TO BE REAL, WHEN I FIRST STARTED TO WATCH THE SHOW I DID LIKE BROOKE. THEN AS THE SHOW PROGRESSED SHE STARTED SHOWING HER TRUE SELF AND THROUGH THE WHOLE SHOW MIRANDA NEVER CHANGED. ANTONIO WAS BLING TO HAVE PICKED BROOKE.I HOPE ALL WORKS OUT FOR MIRANDA.

28. marvin says:

I wish that you were picked over brooke, because she had a demanding attitude in the end talking about a contract. And now that their not together, what happens next.

29. I wanted to thank you for this great I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your web site to look at the latest stuff you post.