VH1 Tough Love 2 Recap – Episode 4 – 10 Things We Loved About This Episode

And now, for a very special episode of VH1 Tough Love

tl2_4_5

While the first thing we loved this week has to do with watching these women cry, that is not the reason itself (even I’m not that mean). Instead, it is:

- The emotional honesty of these women

tl2_4_6
Steve asked the girls to write letters to their fathers and the results were just…so…sad. Liz’s dad died, Rocky’s abandoned her family, Jenna’s told her he didn’t want her, Angel was adopted and then ignored by her adoptive father, Sally never knew her biological dad, and the list goes on…

tl2_4_3
It’s very impressive that these women are invested enough in this process that they aren’t afraid to make themselves vulnerable. Steve persuasion is nowhere near as tough as his love.

The next thing is directly related:

- The comforting powers of string cheese

tl2_4_4
Not to make light of Jenna’s justified pain, but it was kind of adorable to watch her seek solace in this decidedly kiddie snack while she cried about her dad. It was like a calcium-fortified pacifier. Everyone has their emotional string cheese, I guess: the food that tantamount to returning to the womb. Mine would be graham crackers and apple juice.

- Rocky’s reaction to Willy Northpole

When Taylor introduced her man…

tl2_4_10
…here’s what Rocky had to say about that:

tl2_4_gif1
Later, just for the sake of messing with Taylor (and probably because she meant it a little), Rocky told Willy, “You are adorable. You are hot.” Glad to see she’s got her game face on, even though this isn’t a competition!

Similarly:

- Angel’s reaction to Taylor’s reaction to Willy’s reaction to Rocky:

tl2_4_24
After the drink-pouring madness of the last episode, Angel was justifiably shaken to hear Taylor tell Rocky, “I just want to tell you that I love you and I’m sorry.”

tl2_4_23
Seriously, you probably never get used to living with the mindf***-a-minute that is Taylor.

- Alicia hitting it off with a 23-year-old.

It was fleeting, but whatever:

tl2_4_11
He was hot throughout the duration of those 15 minutes where it seemed like something might happen between them.

- The best date ever

OK, so it’s hilarious that getting tattoos together brought Angel and Adam to a new touchy-feely high in their relationship…

tl2_4_15
Nothing like needles to induce canoodling, huh? But really, how uplifting was it when Angel revealed that she’s a mother and a stripper, and he barely batted and eye?

tl2_4_16
For real: what a guy. Hopefully he turns out to be every bit the keeper that he’s presenting himself as.

- The worst date ever

tl2_4_25
There’s something poetically unjust about choosing a princess party…

tl2_4_19
…as the place to break up with a brick wall of a dude because he might be weak. “I’m just scared that you might be passive or you might not understand my sense of humor,” Liz told Dave. Really? The choke-out has her wondering if this professional fighter is passive? Here I thought I had her sense of humor figured out, but she’s making it really hard. From viewer’s perspective, this was a FAIL.

- Willy Northpole’s restraint

tl2_4_gif21

Another gif classic, courtesy of Taylor! Clearly, Willy really does make her better.

- Jenna’s ode to herself

OK, so anyone who had to put down 50 things on paper that they like about themselves would most likely get to a point where they were reaching (I’d have a hard time listing 50 things about myself, period, much less ones I liked and I don’t think I have anything close to what Steve would term “crippling” self-confidence issues). That said, there was one item on Jenna’s list that Steve made her prepare that was particularly comical:

tl2_4_28

See it?

tl2_4_nailbeds1

I know nail beds are extremely important so some people, but when spelled out like this in the context of important character traits, it really does seem funny. On the top of things I like about Jenna: her ability to be funny, whether she’s trying or not.

- The best of the week

tl2_4_30

For her reveal to Adam, Angel got this week’s unofficial award. And, in a post-date interview, it turned out that Adam wasn’t blowing smoke at Angel’s g-string:

tl2_4_31

He really isn’t deterred by her kid or profession. Seriously: keeper.

Sadly, Alicia’s time with her young hottie seems to be coming to a close…

tl2_4_32

“It’s her biological clock that’s ticking,” he told Steve in a jerky interview. Alicia cries now…

tl2_4_33

…but she’ll love later.

Finally, it was Taylor who was in the hot seat again.

tl2_4_34

In a somewhat shocking turn, Willy Northpole’s feedback wasn’t all roses (or, perhaps, penguins and igloos): “I don’t like to be controlled, and she doesn’t like to be controlled, and sometimes it’s Taylor and no way.” Taylor broke down after not receiving the unqualified praise she was looking for…

tl2_4_35

…and also said that she can’t see Willy again until he says something about his feelings regarding her, much to Steve’s disgust.

tl2_4_36

But then after Steve calmed down, Taylor agreed that she’ll work on her relationship with Willy as part of this Tough Love process. “I love you, thank you,” she told Steve. He didn’t shoot her another look of absolute surprise as a response to this, but he should have.

VH1 Tough Love‘s Steve and JoAnn Ward will be at the Los Angeles Shecky’s Girls Night Out event Thursday, December 10 at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. RSVP for the event now and don’t forget to enter to win our VH1 Tough Love Makeover Sweepstakes now at win.vh1.com!

VH1 Tough Love 2 show page
VH1 Tough Love 2 videos and extras
Master Matchmakers

1. joy says:

It is gr8 how Steve helps these girls with all he does but I would like for him to have a show with some plus size girls that really need help…It seems like these girls do and I see it helping them.I understand I will catch flack from this but oh well want be 1st time..

2. Krysten Myers says:

I think Angels date Adam is the hottest thing in the universe. He needs his own show!

3. Hilton says:

I LOVE ANGEL AND ADAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. megafly says:

I wish Steve would stop kissing Taylor’s trashy behind. I hope that brotha Willie wakes up and realizes that Taylor is just a piece of (&“@*%`#))`^#! piece of trash, and nothing somebody you take home to mother. She is a street trash, and I am so glad he made the comments he made. he realizes she ain’t about nothing. She doesn’t even look good. That’s right Willie, don’t just jump on it because it’s white.

5. mnchick says:

Wow did Liz make a mistake letting Dave go. All because of the choke-out incident. Really? There had to be more that we didn’t see..at least I hope. Dave was so cute and was so falling in love with Liz! I really hope these two reunite down the road of this show and that Liz can work through her issues about his being too passive, which, I am not so sure that he is. He’s a cage fighter for goodness sake.

Though I do totally understand where she is coming from. Her father was like that which has a HUGE impact on a girl. Also, I have been married to a passive guy for 13 years and it has almost doomed our marriage more than once. We have finally worked through that but for many, many years I would tell him: “Fight back with me! Have an opinion!!! I WANT you to fight back and have an opinion!!” We are working on it but I cannot say that I blame Liz for wanting someone who she feels is not so passive if that is how Dave actually was.

So, Liz, if you read this, best of luck to you. I get where you are coming from but if you can at all find it in your heart, give Dave another chance. He seems like a great guy.

6. Cheerios says:

I am totally going to the Shecky’s Girls Night Out event in LA to meet Steve!! I love this show!

Is anyone else going?

7. Degrassi says:

plus sized girls? Do you even understand that being overweight is not just unattractive but unhealthy. Thats not the message that we should send you young girls. The message we should send out isn’t that a size 0 is healthy, but we shouldn’t send out that a plus size is healthy is either. We should put size 3s and 4s and 6s out there maybe even an 8… but plus size women are just as unhealthy and in danger as a drug addict. FACE IT FATTY.

8. Jen says:

hwat is that 23 years old dudes name who was dating that chick whos biological clock was tiking????? what is his name???? he is soooooo hot. some one please tell!

9. Jen says:

what is the dudes name who is dating the chick whos biological clock is tiking???? that guy who is 23 he is soooo hot, whats his name does anyone know?

10. Renee says:

I can’t believe she let Dave go, he was a keeper. If she doesn’t want him she can send him my way, he’s quite a lil’ cutie.

11. Renee says:

I am SO PROUD of all the women this week except, of course, Taylor. Taylor, I am in Phoenix and have lived here all my life. You are the perfect stereotype of Scottsdale women. Fake and materialistic. Come back to Scottsdale where you will be accepted. Until you get off your high horse, you will stay single. Men are not going to talk about YOU YOU YOU. YOU do that enough. Until you get off yourself, you can’t love anyone else. Truth is, you are the way you are because you don’t love yourself. Listen to Steve, listen to his mother, listen to Willi, and listen to the other women. You just might learn something. Imagine this, take away money, designer clothes, and makeup. Who are you? The Taylor we all would love to see (and the men would love too). If I ever run into you in Arizona, I’d be more than happy to say all of this to your face. Stop thinking that you’re perfect and you never do anything wrong. This is a learning experience, cherish it. I know what I’m talking about, I’m a social worker. I’ve studied this for years, worked plenty in the field, and I never hold back on being brutally honest with people that need help. You need help, but Steve is not giving up on you, and neither would I if you were my client. You have to be willing to listen and take suggestions about change. We all want you to be happy Taylor. Best of luck.

12. RayRay says:

I just love how Steve tells it like it is. If these girls would just listen to him, he makes alot of sense. Hell I watch the show to listen to him on how to make myself a better spouse to my boyfriend. Believe me it has worked in more than one way. I used to be like Taylor and wanted him to be with me all the time. I then realized, we all need a little ME time and Taylor better watch out or she will run Willy away. Smothering is not the answer. Keep it up Steve

13. Raina says:

I love Steve…Keep up the good work Steve. Taylor listen to him, its not always about YOU!!! and LIZ are you crazy, so he got choked out, that is part of what he does for a living, that doesn’t mean he is weak at all, you are the weak one honey.

Steve, thank you for this show it has really taught me alot not only about how to be in a relationship but how to trust and just be myself with my boyfriend, we have been together 3 years now and he is great, but I had to learn to let him have his much need MAN time and I needed my WOMAN time. And that works out great for us.

14. sasberry says:

Can anyone tell me what song was playin from about 2:11 – 4:55 on the full episode video of EP 4 when Jenna was eating her string cheese (haha..sorry Jenna) and everyone was talking about their issues? SUCH A BEAUTIFUL SONG and it hasn’t been posted ANYWHERE. the lyrics are something like: “I’ve been waiting for an answer to something thats been on your mind….waiting for the tides to turn…and wondering all the while…”
    I even tried my song identifier on my phone, and no dice. Gorgeous female singer. If you can help, I’d really appreciate it! Thanks!

15. sasberry says:

FOUND IT! Song was called “Come Tomorrow” by Juliet Lloyd just in case anyone else was wondering. :)

16. Julliette says:

I know Angel’s date Adam personally. He is a REALLY funny and cool guy. I’m happy for them, hope everything works out. Vh1 should follow him around with a camera, the stuff that that boy thinks of and says is enough to make his own reality show haha

17. None says:

I wish that VH1 would post all of the episodes online from the new shows like they used to. When you work full time, have a baby, and things around the house to take care of, you only get spare moments to yourself. I didn’t know that this show was back until just a few days ago. SOOOOO bummed. Anyone know where I might be able to catch up?

18. Jeanne says:

How many episodes are they airing this season??

19. clarify for angel..... says:

would just like to clarify something in angel’s letter about her adoptive father …it was a miss communication on angel’s father in which she wondered why her mother was alway’s her responsiblity this had to do with a fincial matter that angel had no knowledge of but has since the show aired and on behalf of her father has been made to understand her father had a daughter by another marriage and was paying child support on and angel thought her adoptive father never supported her financially because her mother alway’s did this is just not something u discuss with a small child …her adoptive father never abandoned her he has alway’s been there for her and still is there and alway’s does things for her he alway’s provided for angel it’s to bad that it had to come across in the show because both of angel’s adoptive parents have always been there for angel…they’ve alway’s been there to help her out with her child and any other need in her life..

20. Angel says:

Tough Love is the only show I watch. It brings to the forefront real issues that really prevade women’s lives. This episode was on-target as how women see their fathers directly impacts their ability to choose a responsible, loving mate. Kudos to vh1!

21. PcB says:

Jenna REALLY gets on my nerves. Oh poor me! I used to be fat bs. I’m sick of it. No wonder she doesn’t have a man. Its ridiculous. If she didn’t like how her father was and she realize that she’s just like him then she needs to change. I think she just wants attention. DRAMA QUEEN!!!!

22. Angel says:

Things I Liked About This Episode (not in order of preference)
    1. Rocky softening
    2. Taylor growing a centimeter in the right direction (she needs to get her self esteem from some where other than a man because no man wants a needy girl)
    3. Alicia growing a centimeter in the right direction

What I’d Like to See
    1. The black women get a nice man.
    2. A Tough Love for Men