VH1 Tough Love 2 Recap – Episode 5 – 10 Things We Loved About This Episode

tl2_5_gif2

Yet another shocking chapter in the Tough Love saga!

tl2_5_8

The first thing we loved about this episode?

- Jenna fighting the power with a cover-up

tl2_5_1

If nothing else, this is when her difficult nature still seemed just charmingly cynical. Even political: “Why is it confident for girls to take their clothes off for guys?” she asked after Steve announced they’d be taking part in a pageant that included a swimsuit challenge.

There was something even refreshing in her interviewing, “This is the f***ing stupidest challenge we’ve done so far. There is no f***ing point to it.” At least she was thinking critically, you know? It’s always nice to have an example against which to compare those who actually are drinking the Kool-Aid. Sadly, her dissent would soon turn into a descent…

- The wool pulled over the girls eyes…

tl2_5_3

In a wonderful bit of duality, they were blind to the fact that the judges were blind during the beauty pageant.

tl2_5_2

Thus the focus was shifted entirely to their personalities. Sadly, though, none of the judges got to appreciate Jenna’s daring little reveal:

tl2_5_4

Who says she isn’t taking this thing seriously? When you flash your boobs on VH1, you are clearly in whatever to win.

- The talent portion

tl2_5_5

So, Taylor’s rendition of the ABC’s was just gorgeous. I’m sure kindergartners around the country are jealous of both Taylor’s pitch and her ability to breathe new life into an old standard. Clearly, everyone was impressed:

tl2_5_7

tl2_5_6

And then, as if to provide an X-rated (but just as outrageous) counterpoint to Taylor’s kiddie song, Rocky delivered an acapella rendition of her own, “Who’s the Bitch Now?

tl2_5_9

Later, one of the judges called the lyrics “trite.” As if! Look, there’s a lot you can say about Rocky’s ode to emasculation, but anything that includes the line, “I’ll put a strap-on on, and you’ll take it like a man,” is far from clichéd. Good, bad or terrifying, it is like nothing you’ve ever heard before.

But the best talent belonged to Liz, who showed us all the stuff her mouth can do with beer:

tl2_5_10

tl2_5_11

“I don’t know anyone else that can do this. This is talent. This is skill at its best,” she said. Yet more non-triteness! I’ll drink to that. Viva singularity!

- Jenna’s politics

Jenna on healthcare: “I would trust my government to be able to figure that out for me because I am not well-versed in healthcare.”

Jenna on global warming: “It’s hot right now…”

Steve on Jenna:

tl2_5_12

What a twisted, hilarious mess.

- Sally’s victory

tl2_5_13

The girl who at first glance seemed entirely too timid to succeed in any single TV-based challenge, is seriously dominating them all. The quiet ones always sneak up on you! Respect.

- Taylor’s rock climbing

tl2_5_17

She did end up reaching the top of the wall, which is pretty impressive, but not after a hell of a lot of LOL-worthy wiggling:

tl2_5_gif1

And really, at the end of the day, it’s the wiggling that matters, amirite?

- Rocky on paintball:

tl2_5_16

“I am gonna bang out my opponent,” she said. Someone please tell Rocky that paintball does not involve strap-ons in any way. I would, but I’m kind of afraid to…

- Taylor at last does the best

tl2_5_22

For being able to calmly explain her disappointment to Willy Northpole over his comments after their date last week, Taylor showed a shocking amount of restraint and maturity. So, it was inside of her all along? Who knew?

- Steve’s reaction to Alicia’s Antisemitism

tl2_5_21

Alicia said some incredibly questionable (if not flat-out phobic) things about her date Jeremy attending Hebrew school. Among them:

She was willing to go out with him “as long as he isn’t Jewish.”

“I don’t want to be Jewish! I ain’t givin’ up Christmas!”

“I don’t want to have a wedding where people wear little hats and stuff.”

Instead of blowing up at her, and giving her the tongue-lashing she probably deserved, Steve just smiled in a good-natured way, told her that she was being presumptuous to assume that she’d be marrying a guy she went on one date with, and informed her that Jewish weddings are “a lot of fun” (not at all surprisingly, she’s never actually been to one). In the face of prejudice, Steve (who’s Jewish, btw) provided a model of tolerance. Very smart.

- Steve’s reaction to Jenna

tl2_5_26

Crying on her date at the prospect of having to fly through the air on trapeze alienated Jenna from her date and landed her in the hot seat. And that’s when the real drama started, with Jenna crying over, uh, crying and being called out for it and even getting into it with some of the other girls who said her negativity is affecting them (“She said that she’s not here to make friends!” said Taylor…although, that kinda makes me like her a little more).

Anyway, Steve was incredulous at her display…

tl2_5_27

…telling her, “I am not a doctor! I’m a goddamn matchmaker!” and “I can’t believe I got another five weeks of this s***!” If it’s any consolation, Steve, we’re all in this together!

VH1 Tough Love 2 show page
VH1 Tough Love 2 videos and extras
Master Matchmakers

1. Marlena says:

I like that show

2. BonishkaRai says:

it’s about time jenna got the hot seat. her negativity has gone too far as to annoy everyone around her. she really needs to change her attitude or she might as well leave bootcamp.

3. Shaniqwa says:

This show is ^%!$_#^(^%)#(_*%%* ed.

4. mo says:

so..steve’s a jewish matchmaker? does anyone else find that kind of funny?
    matchmaker matchmaker make me a match….

5. Ellie1990 says:

Ugh. I hate,what’s her name.. Jenna! Ugh! She makes me so mad. Not that I don’t know what she’s going through, I really do. I grew up being the jolly fat girl who never got the boys. But guess what! I lost the weight, too and I got over the fat girl syndrome within a matter of months once all the attention was on me. She’s in the same situation, a bunch of guys on the show have said she’s pretty, the girls think she’s pretty. It’s sad because I’m 19 and she’s what – 28? 29? She just needs to GROW UP and have fun because her prime is slipping away.. Also, I know this is mean god damn I’ve never seen a person with an uglier crying face. She looks like a toad! It’s hard to look at!

6. Vegas says:

When I saw Jenna crying and scared about going on the trapeze I sympathized with her. She is really terriffied of hights. Steve had no right to scream and curse at her for not flying on the trapeze, for crying or anything else. And her date was an idiot! He didn’t know if he should be compassionate or encouraging????? She’s hysterical with fear BE COMPASSIONATE!!! Even my 7yr. old knew that! I would like to see Steve be pushed into doing somethig he is terriffied doing!!

As for Steve’s language? Well he’s trying to teach these women manners and to be lady like, WELL HERE IS A NEWS FLASH: YOU DO NOT DO IT BY CURSING AT THEM!!! ANY REAL GENTLEMAN KNOWS THAT!!!!! OH by the way does anyone else think it’s a little weird that Steve is giving LOVE/RELATIONSHIP ADVICE even though he has MANY failed marriages behind him????????? Maybe he should think about working on his own love/relationship life and getting it right before he gives advice to others and embarasses them on national t.v.

7. jessica says:

I can’t help but watch the show. However, I am having an issue with Taylor. Honestly I do not think she is going to change. She is very selfish, constantly putting herself above all others. I may not be in love but at one point when I was I made room for another in my life before me.. Taylor’s voice is annoying and her orange tan is unattractive. She can be a beautiful woman if she would just go natural… Liz and Sally are my fave’s

8. chocolatesofblue says:

9. tv attic says:

how come we don’t see more of willy northpole on the show

10. Martine says:

Well I like this show,because it makes me realize that there is alot of people who need help in finding that Mr. Right. But some woman are really looking for Mr. Right now! not a long term thing even they say they are but thats just what I say.Jenna in my opinion is not ready for an relationship. She needs to get over her self first then can have an relationship.

11. Tory says:

i feel that taylor is the wrong person for Willie….I think that Willie needs a strong person in his life, like myself. taylor is fake, she is only stuck on herslf, if he goes broke she is goin too leave him becaused she is selfish. I wanted Willie to no that he has a real woman on his side and i would be glad to date him…

12. PrincessT says:

Re: Mo
    Ha! “Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match!” So funny…I don’t think anybody else got that one! :)

13. shaknbak480 says:

Bahahaha Tori if you only knew what willy was really like lol! Steve would probably die with how wrong he is about him