Examining Rehab 3 With Dr. Drew – Episode 1

drew_s3e1

As he tends to do, Dr. Drew has checked in with us to deliver his take on the first episode of Celebrity Rehab 3. Below, he talks about the new cast, including Dennis Rodman’s resistance, why he wasn’t so shocked by Mackenzie Phillips’ incest revelation and why he allowed Heidi Fleiss and Tom Sizemore — former lovers with a history of domestic violence — to be in treatment together.

Is there anything that sticks out regarding how this season went overall, versus the other two?

A few things do: how sick some of the people were, both medically and psychiatrically, and the diversity of the group. It’s a diverse group in terms of some of the people being severely medically ill, like Mike Starr, when his withdrawal becomes profound. Some of them are severely medically and psychiatrically impaired like Tom Sizemore, who basically doesn’t get out of bed for two weeks. And then you’ve got folks like Mackenzie Phillips, who have long periods of sustained sobriety and understand the gig entirely: what’s required of her and what treatment’s about. You’ve got Heidi Fleiss, who’s severely ill from opiates and speed, and has a sort of criminal mindset. Dennis Rodman is completely resistant. He won’t even talk to me. It’s an extraordinarily difficult group.

Yeah, I thought Kari Ann was bad in her Sex Rehab check-in one-on-one with you…

(Laughs) That will stand as a statement that will speak for itself: “I thought Kari Ann was bad…”

It’s surprising that Dennis is allowed to do his court-appointed rehab stint on TV.

It’s treatment! That’s the point. It just happens to be on camera. There’s nothing different in the treatment.

It just seems like in the past, the courts haven’t been so understanding. Jessica Sierra was ordered to stay away from cameras to complete her court-appointed rehab.

That was a different situation. That was somebody who’d already been on Celebrity Rehab, and the judge was intolerant of that. This was, “You’ve got this thing you have to do, and you’re seeing a doctor, and that’s that.” TV or not TV, it’s treatment.

Is this the first person that’s carried out their court-appointed rehab on Celebrity Rehab?

I think Andy had some issues. I remember writing some letters for Andy. But yeah, it depends on the person. It’s so common that addicts have court stuff. It’s pretty much all of them.

Is Dennis’ resistance typical of people who enter rehab by way of court?

No! There’s nothing typical about Dennis. He’s just resistant. The court people usually want to make nice. We often have to figure out what’s sincere motivation and what’s bulls***. The usual thing is, I’ll go, “Why are you here?” And they’ll say, “I’m tired of living like this, it’s awful. You try living like this.” I’ll open the chart up and see a big document from the court and say, “How about the judge that sent you?” “Oh yeah yeah! There’s that, but that’s not why I’m here! I’m here because I want to get sober.”

Dennis is living up to his reputation of being one of a kind.

The thing that really stood out for me about Mindy McCready is that she comes in claiming that she’s not a drug addict.

Right, and then she goes in and has a big seizure. Explain that. Interesting. She’s another resistant one. It’s difficult to know what’s going on with her. She comes in agreeing to look at her co-dependency, so we start there. We start where they’re willing to start. We can’t start where they won’t go. It’s really hard to tease her apart, but my job isn’t to out people on television. I don’t know what part of her is motivated by TV, or what part of her is just her. I don’t know what she’s up to.

I feel like the abscess thing with Mike Starr is the most brutal thing I’ve ever seen on Celebrity Rehab, and I have a strong stomach.

You only saw the hole. You don’t see what squirted out all over the place. Those are common. I see it all the time.

Mike’s on methadone, and as someone who isn’t, I have a hard time understanding the philosophy behind treating opiate addiction with opiates.

It doesn’t make much sense, does it? It’s absolutely foolish. If somebody’s in an untreatable situation and they’re going to die if we don’t do something – they fail treatment or whatever – then methadone is lifesaving. But to give methadone to everybody? Huge mistake.

You say that methadone takes your soul away. Is it particularly draining as opiates go?

If you get enough for it to work, you’re just on the couch. You can’t do anything.

Mackenzie comes in and drops this bombshell about her dad to you before she dropped it on the world. What was it like hearing that information for the first time?

It’s not as weird as people take it. One of the things that she went around saying was that this is something that happens to a lot of people. She’s right: it’s not that uncommon. Her perception of it as something that was consensual is a little distorted, a little unusual, but the fact of a dad having sexually abused his daughter is something we see all the time.

The perception of it as a consensual relationship, I thought, was the most scandalous thing about it.

Well, you have to remember that’s a child’s perspective. It’s a distortion. How can a child consent to something like that?

Something that stuck out to me is that you tell Lisa D’amato, “Using alcohol as a drug to relax is not a normal relationship.”

Well, the way she put it was stronger, like she needs it to relax. Sure, people take a drink to unwind at the end of the day, but to need it to relax, it’s like, huh? You need it? Whenever the drug has control over someone, you gotta go, “Huh?”

Lisa is one of the most resistant as well, right?

Yeah, resistance is the name of this group. It was driving Bob Forrest crazy. He was like, “Jesus Christ, Mike might start vomiting his brains out here. He’s one of the worst drug addicts I’ve ever met, and the rest of you don’t seem to have addictions. What are you doing here? What’s the deal?” Lisa was the one particularly that made me think, “I’m not sure she should be here.” And that came from what the facts were: that she wasn’t using that much, and that she just hadn’t evolved yet to even the possibility where she could see it as a problem. Shelly and I sat her down and said, “If you don’t have addiction, we don’t want you here,” but everything told us, the world seemed to tell us that there was a problem. You can tell someone’s in denial when we have all this evidence, all these upset people around, and the patient’s saying, “I don’t understand. What are they talking about? It’s no big deal.”

Heidi Fleiss strikes me as particularly tragic. Her story about living in Death Valley amongst parrots is really, really sad.

She’s a tragic figure, I completely agree. She has two acute issues. One is a full-on withdrawal, both from opiates and speed, and she really didn’t tell me that she was on opiates. Her drug use was more extensive than I’d imagined. Secondly, her criminal mindset continued to be a problem throughout treatment. I have an affection for Heidi, I’ve known her for a long time. We would make inroads where she’d start to do better, start to make connections, but then she’d get into this way of thinking where she’d be like, “Screw it. This is B.S.” She’d also become very manipulative.

Having Tom Sizemore on with Heidi seems brilliant from a casting perspective, but nightmarish from a real-life perspective. Did it strike you as problematic to have them at the same facility, given their history, which includes domestic violence?

Yeah. It could be a problem. You don’t want to have perpetrators together, that’s for sure. I would not have put them in the same unit if they were still romantically involved in any way, and you can’t have family members in the same program. But people who have a history of romantic involvement, that’s not too uncommon. Addicts tend to travel together. And when they’re doing drugs, they do weird s***. They do bad stuff to each other. So it’s not that uncommon. It was problematic, and I had to be sure they were really OK with it. We spent a lot of time getting consent from these people, but they all felt like it wouldn’t interfere. And it really didn’t until toward the end, when it became a little bit of a problem.

And then, there’s Joey.

And then there’s Joey. I’d treated him before. Bob and I knew him. He came off The Real World into our program. They sent us right from the show into Las Encinas. Our previous experience with him is that he was a model student. We were suspicious of that — he seemed to be too good too fast. And lo and behold: he got home and started using again right away. Also, the magnitude of his addiction was worse than he ever let on. This time he was more honest. I mean, he is a garbage can. That guy can use more drugs than almost anybody I know. I’m amazed he survives what he does. He’s got a lot of issues with aggression. He was actually a challenge.

This sounds as intense as ever, if not more so.

Yes, it was! It’s probably the most intense season. Just coming off Sex Rehab, I was already so bent out of shape. What I’d been through was so intense already that it was like, “Holy Christ!” It gets even worse in Sober House. I’ve barely gotten over that. I’m not kidding.

Celebrity Rehab 3 - Meet the Cast
Celebrity Rehab 3 show page
Celebrity Rehab 3 videos and extras

1. Karen Zapata says:

Watched the show tonight first time, and it touched a nerve in me. I’m one of 4 kids, I’m 50 years old, and I’m the only truly functional one of us four. However, not to judge my siblings because I know I too have an addictive personality, and I’ve done my experimenting and had my alcohol issues – Jack Daniels was once my best friend for several years (just ask my kids). Anyways, your show is inspiring, mostly because it breaks each one of us down into being human (not just celebrity, professional, etc.) and everyone has a story. Substance abuse is the worst, most end-all to a good life there is. God Bless each one of your patients, the road is long and hard to travel. But, being high on life is even better…eventually. My kids forgave me years ago. I’m always aware of my addictive personality and thank God each day that I didn’t cross the line to no return like my 3 siblings–that in itself is heartbreaking.

2. joshxlong says:

I am a methadone patient, engaged to a methadone patient (we became addicts together, we stopped and went on methadone together). I am scared of the fact that a TV Doctor I’ve come to trust, Dr. Drew is saying publicly on TV that that stuff steals your soul. How does it steal my soul? what euphemism am I not getting? I don’t feel soulless, I feel GREAT and OVERJOYED that I can stop abusing pain meds and heroin, and I’ve been on methadone for almost 6 months. I don’t wanna be a life time Methadonian, but I don’t know that quitting soon would be healthy, so I’m ridding this out to see where it goes. I just really wanna know what bad things there are that happen from being on methadone that I don’t already know that would make a doctor i trust, respect, and follow on TV say that it steals your soul. I know getting off of it can be hard if you don’t detox gradually, but it has meant a whole new life of not using drugs (no pot, alchohol, coke, meth, nothing) because I found this to get me through the heroin addiction, and when I am as safe as an addict ever can really be from relapsing, and I know I’m gonna be good, then maybe I’ll think of stopping. If this stuff is that bad though Drew, please help me out here, let me know what i need to do differently. I know theres a lot of rumors about methadone, but most of the poor opinions on methadone are from abusers, mis-users, and people who do benzos with them. I don’t do any of these things, and I’m a model client at my clinic. Haven’t gave a dirty urine since inducted into the ARS hall of methadone. Anybody with answers or questions about what ive said or methadone in general can reach me via email. godspeed. – joshXlong

3. C EVERETT KOOP says:

This so called show is an abomination, pinsky (i cant bring myself to call him dr) should have his licence to practice yanked. I watched this show tonite having no preconceptions and it turned my stomach.

4. Terry Jerrel says:

How Long does it take on an avrage, to see a personality like Dennis to start open up? And also for him to admit he does have a drug problem. Does he try to dominate the treatment or does he stay in denial?

5. Joanne says:

Many of us seem to be thinking the same thing. Kari Ann oh no! If she were not so unkind and more believable I might be more sympathetic.
    Thanks Dr. Drew, Staff, and participants. Plenty of people are sitting in their homes in need of treatment, who can also benefit from this televised rehab. You are helping millions, God bless you all and good luck to us all. P.S. Mackenzie, stop blaming your self, you deserved better than you got.

6. Angel says:

Why do they bleep out the word mother from their first meeting conversations?

7. Cassidy says:

I am also a methadone patient and I could not believe my ears when I heard Dr. Drew say that it takes your soul away! I had to come onto this site to see if I really heard right. Methadone has literally saved my life. I have my friends & family back in my life and I was finally able to complete my bachelors degree. It seems most Doctors have strong negative opinions on methadone because it goes against their method of treatment. However, I do agree that methadone should only be sought out as a last resort form of treatment. As long as you find a methadone clinic with a knowledgeable staff, you will not be overdosed (be on the couch). lol I will continue to watch Celebrity Rehab & agree with 99.9% of what Dr.Drew says…

8. GMB says:

To the guy who is worried about what Dr. Drew said about methadone: do not worry so much. I am also on methadone and have not “lost my soul.” Methadone and my clinic have saved my life. I had been an IV heroin user for 8 years and went to treatment after treatment and was not able to stay clean. I have been on methadone a year now and subsequently have become employed, have stable housing, and am back in college. This would have been UNIMAGINABLE a year ago, when all I could worry about was how to get the next fix. All my veins were shot and I was dying. I am on a long term taper and am down to 38mg a day. I plan to be completly off in about another 6 months. Please, joshxlong, talk to your counselor at your clinic about your concerns. They will know much more than some TV doctor that has never “been there” himself. I know degrees and books can help, but unless you have woke up dope sick and feel the overwhelming sense of hopelessness and dread that us heroin addicts have felt he can’t REALLY understand. It is easy to dismiss methadone- and I know it is not an ideal solution- but for some of us it was the only way out of the nightmare of heroin addiction.

9. mame says:

i don’t think dennis rodman even deserves a chance on the show…there are plenty of people out there who want, need, and deserve help. he is so disrespectful and uncooperative with the staff when he arrives it should have been decided then that he should spend time in jail instead.

10. cateyes says:

I am appalled that Carrie-Ann will be on the show. She is poisonous to other patients and abusive to staff. The people there should not be subjected to her abuse calling others “UGLY OLD LADIES” and exposing her self! Dr. Drew I know you know better. Carrie-Ann NEEDS A HIGHER LEVEL OF CARE. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

11. Francine says:

I cannot believe that Celebrity Rehab cast Kari Ann Peniche after her rude, unacceptable, bratty, self-serving, narcissistic, selfish, mean-spirited witchy self demanded (and got) special treatment on the Sex Addiction program. She did not get out of bed on time, she did not go to group, she wanted her orange juice brought to her. Why do you put up with her. She doesn’t behave like someone who really wants help.She much too self-involved for help. The way she treated Shelley and the aide was totatlly unacceptable. I cannot believe that Shelley or anyone else gets paid nearly enough to put up with such disrespectful behavior. Get her off that program already! She doesn’t want help. She just wants to be her witchy overly made-up version of a teen star. And she calls other people ugly??? Please! Her ugliness cannot be seen on the outside but it is all there on the inside. Her butt needs to be kicked to the curb. Dr. Drew, you need to defend your workers much better than you have. You just reinforced to Kari Anne that it is all right to behave abominably and treat others badly and not really have any serious consequences. Are you letting her stay because she does have such bad behavior and that will get viewers? If that is the case, not good for the other participants.

12. misty lavender says:

Hello Dr. Drew, I am a huge fan of your show, Celebrity Rehab. I am a methadone patient and I have found methadone to be the best possible treatment for me! I am a success story when it comes to methadone. I am not souless, in fact methadone has given me my life back, Soul Spirit and body!! I have been an opiuate addict for 40 years and on methadone for six years.
    Anyway, I look forward to this season, You have your work cut out for you with Dennis, Heidi and mckenzie!!! Good luck! misty

13. Kerry Wolf says:

Pinsky’s remarks about methadone treatment are wildly inappropriate, unethical, and wrong. Methadone is a MEDICATION, not a “soul stealing” demonic entity. I have been on MMT for over 5 years and they have been the best 5 years of my adult life since my addiction began over 25 years ago. I work full time, volunteer, raise a family, take care of my health, and do national work on behalf of my fellow pts. My soul remains intact, contrary to Pinsky’s claims, and MMT is the most successful method of treatment for opioid addiction available today–FAR more successful that Pinsky’s method.

Many MMT pts require long term–even life long–treatment due to the sometimes permanent damage that can be done to the brain’s ability to produce endorphins (natural opiates) after a period of opioid abuse. Even for those who do not require lifelong supplementation, methadone should never be discontinued abruptly–it has a long half life and as such the withdrawals last weeks instead of months unless a slow taper is used. 90% of those leaving MMT relapse within one year, and this is even more true of long term addicts like Starr. However for those who stay ON MMT, 65% to 90% succeed in staying off illicit drugs and rebuilding their lives. Pinsky should be continuing Starr on his methadone while treating him for crack addiction (which MMT does not treat).

Pinsky’s gross negligence in telling Fleiss that Suboxone is “only used for 3 days” and telling her he wants her to “go cold turkey”, and his insistence on taking McCready off xanax so abruptly as to cause a seizure say clearly that the man is a menace to his profession and his patients and should have his license yanked. And seeing how he has undermined the faith of at least one person in MMT (who posted here) with his moronic statement about soul stealing makes me physically ill.

14. ann says:

Mike Starr has a heart of gold, even though his low life dad screwed up his childhood, way before the band. Mike still treats him with respect and tries to take care of him. If his dad gave two cents about Mike, he’d leave him alone so he had a fighting chance to kick his habits. I don’t get why the government’s allowed to continue making money off of addicts by their Methadone program. It’s harder to kick than heroin and worse for your body. I guess it comes down to money like most drug dealers.

15. dacktyl says:

In the “real” world, a legitimate treatment center would NEVER have allowed Heidi Fleiss and Tom Sizemore in the same program together. The fact that Dr (?) Drew allowed it and then explained it away with “we asked them and they said it wouldn’t be a problem” is not only ridiculous, its unethical. Pinsky should have his license pulled. He’s a quack.

16. peter moinichen says:

i know dr. drew values evidence-based treatment. i also believe that if knowledge is increased, then attitudes can alter, and behavior change can eventually occur.

with this in mind, dr. drew should read the latest research on medication !)%^__^~`_$+$~@ isted therapy. for dr. drew to demonize a drug, methadone, goes against his belief that addicition is behavior based and that the drug is neutral. for dr. drew to say that methadone leaves you without a soul harms my patients. he may not realize how his attitude can affect the self esteem of viewers, but i wonder exactly where my patients get to feel good about themselves, dr. drew? it seems in your world that those already feeling shame about their addiction nowcan also feel shame regarding their recovery. and make no mistake about it, methadone is recovery.

the endorphin system is connected with the internal opiates that our body produces. this system can become deranged. it may occur because of defects present from birth or from the disruptive nature of long term abuse of short acting opiates. the patient hopes that it can rebalance itself on its own after abstinence from external opiates. for some patients their system will never return to a normal state, if it ever was in one. for these patients they require external opiates to regulate the internal endorphin system because of the inability to fill enough opiate receptors to feel ‘normal’.

to discount what NIDA considers the ‘gold standard’ of treatment for opiate addiction flies in the face of dr drew’s committment to his patients. i hope with further education dr drew can change his attitudes about this medication, and then his behavior which minimizes my patients committment to their own recovery and shames them even further.

it is also interesting that dr drew equates undermedication on methadone to be an addiction. the physician who stops methadone at an arbitrary dose, and 100 mg. is the quintessinal upper limit in many uninformed treatment providers minds, does not effectively use this treatment tool. pateints need the dose they need, not the dose that providers feel should be enough.

i am embarrassed by my colleagues who denigrate methadone, and angry at them for the harm they do to my patient’s perceptions of themselves.

methadone seems to carry with it the baggage that creationism and abortion do. i mean that science does not have an impact on people’s beliefs about certain subjects. here’s the dinosaur bone, but you still believe that history began 10,000 years ago. so i guess that science loses another one, and dr. drew gets the ratings he wants by bashing an already vulnerable population and saying what 12 step programs have always held: methadone patients are not in recovery, should not be able to speak at meetings, and are not part of the recovery community.

i expected more from dr drew than dr phil, but……

17. peter moinichen says:

sorry if this gets posted a jillion times. i kept getting an error message and kept banging ‘submit’

18. kristen says:

Please tell me why they bleeped out the word “mother” in the show?

19. peter moinichen says:

with this in mind, dr. drew should read the latest research on medication !#$+#~~&)^#&+(~ isted therapy. for dr. drew to demonize a drug, methadone, goes against his belief that addicition is behavior based and that the drug is neutral. for dr. drew to say that methadone leaves you without a soul harms my patients. he may not realize how his attitude can affect the self esteem of viewers, but i wonder exactly where my patients get to feel good about themselves, dr. drew? it seems in your world that those already feeling shame about their addiction now can also feel shame regarding their recovery. and make no mistake about it, methadone is recovery.

to discount what NIDA considers the ‘gold standard’ of treatment for opiate addiction flies in the face of dr drew’s committment to his patients. i hope with further education dr drew can change his attitudes about this medication, and then change his behavior which minimizes my patients committment to their own recovery and shames them even further.

i expected more from dr drew than dr phil, but……

20. Mr.c. curzio says:

Hello,

I must remember this is entertainment, going for ratings is the key here, not sound clinical judgement. I read what Dr Koop wrote and i Concur.

Also, Dr Drew ‘s statement to Ms Fleiss that she should abruptly get off Bupeprenorphine is odd . Having just 1 treatment, to apply for all is not good. Many respond well to medication &)))+$+%**~))^! isted therapy, and can lead full lives, working , school, raising families etc. Dr Drew needfs to do more research on MAT before making such statements.

Sincerely,

Mr. Carmine Curzio nyc

21. Rokki Baker says:

Who is responsible when these patients who are on a medication that is prescribed by a Dr,a Real one I might add,when this monster just stops their medication? Mr Drew your license should be pulled and quickly before you kill someone.
    You are no better then a predator who finds a persons weak spot and bore into it until it breaks. That is NOT Addiction Therapy,that is old School Gestalt way of thinking. This went out in the 70′s with the old half way houses that made you wear a sign around your neck or shave ones head.
    Medicated ++@_+~~((_`!+`@ isted Treatment is alive and well and giving thousands of patients quality of life.
    It is your way of thinking that has no soul,sir.

Rokki

22. Susan says:

Quoting Dr. Pinsky here: “He’s so impaired. He’s so sick. I end up doing brain scans on him. It ends up getting much more involved with him. His brain scans are severely abnormal.”

I find the brain scan comment extremely curious. Can Dr. Drew elaborate on what kind of abnormality? It makes me think of “Young Frankenstein” where Marty Feldman’s Igor goes get a brain called, ‘ABBY Somebody’ … “Abby Normal”

One thing I really appreciate about the VH1 shows as Dr. Drew did with his Loveline program was expose everyone to what these addictions look like and how people act and leads to greater understanding of addiction and what treatments can do to help others. I think this knowledge makes society better. I think that the periods of repression of information about these societal ills has been a breeding ground for them and Dr. Drew promulgates a greater understanding that can only benefit our society as a whole toward greater understanding and success in helping others. Thank you, Dr. Drew.

23. Susan says:

Quoting Dr. Pinsky on Rodman here: “He’s so impaired. He’s so sick. I end up doing brain scans on him. It ends up getting much more involved with him. His brain scans are severely abnormal.”

I find the brain scan comment extremely curious. Can Dr. Drew elaborate on what kind of abnormality? It makes me think of “Young Frankenstein” where Marty Feldman’s Igor goes get a brain called, “ABBY Somebody … Abby Normal”

On a serious note, I am curious because I wonder how anything is gleaned from these brain scans and what they mean, what they tell him. That’s why I hope he will explain better what Rodman’s brain scans signify. Please tell us, Dr. Drew! I may repost if I can’t find a way to learn what he meant by that. I think the subject of the physicality of the brain and its actual workings, synapses, dendrites, etc. to be very fascinating. What can these brain scans show mystifies me.

24. trisha says:

thought Johnny Tapia was gunna be part of this season?

25. shya -kai says:

I didn’t even know my alias was registered on this website which shows how much a user can remember i’m looking at my cup half empty wondering how much time i have to sneek one more drink before my roommates get home and they realize i have a buzz.
    I’m trying to function in my own sobriety, but i think i’m losing. i relate one of these particapants. in some small way i relate to all of them. i lost a good catch because i can’t face my own tormented past.
    Can’t wait to see what happens next. on the show that is!

26. podnseattle says:

Dr Drew,
    You need to get seriously way more educated about the way the brain works while on drugs. Please get educated before you speak out on your negative opinions about any legalized medications, & espec about those meds that help opiate addicts regain healthy normal ways of life from. Methadone does not steal your soul! your comment is a moronic statement! I now think you should be forced to work at a methadone clinic for at least 5 years in order to know wtf your even talking about.
    you need to go back to med school & take the chemical dependency training. Your idea of making Mike go off cold turkey from 100 mg of methadone is an absolute cruelty to any human. in fact its murderous! Curious, Are you into Ron Hubbards scientology? because you are now talking like one of those cultist nuts! Methadone is legalized & has been for many many years & used in order to treat opiate addictions, etc. it works! plus it may be helpful w/ treating many other health issues such as migraine headaches sufferers. btw!once a patient takes methadone long enough it happens to diminish the addicts desires to use the other Illegal substances which had priorly made that persons life a complete hell.
    So, I say Shame on you!Shame on you for being an ignorant moron of a so called Dr., shame on you, for being an uneducated so called tv doctor.
    I do agree w/ everyones comments up here,of about all your poorly educated & lame excuses used in order to back up your treatment plans for season 3 clients.
    You shouldnt ever demonize a medically “legalized” treatment drug, as like Methadone. Its about time for a strong minded tv spokes Dr.,to actually be not afraid to stand up for all the positive outcomes of methadone usage patients. I wonder, Why are you being a chicken ^)@~#&$^)$#!_)_! PleaseDo your research 1st & learn about wtf your talking about before going on tv. if you had a through addiction specialty of medical education, then you would of learned better by now & how you Never do cold turkey detox of someone off any legally dispensed medications & especially without the patients consent to get slowly detoxed off such. Please think of a methadone patient as like a diabetic patients medication. right now Im so disgusted becuz You are wrong & methadone does Not turn a person into a lazy souless couch sloth.
    your tv show started out appearing to help its addicts & in the 1st two seasons your reality show actually appeared to dipense legal sorts of meds w/ the nurse window there.> as u recall Jeff being angry at the nurse for being late w/ his morning dose) so why are you suddenly being a cold turkey facility & taking such a harsh measure of total medication refusals in season 3? btw, Did you not know that the withdrawls from alcholism can be brutally deadly! nearly none of your patients in season 3 should be detoxed cold turkey! You’ve become a Hitler by advocating an Insanely cruel treatment facility show!
    I sincerely send off my prayers to all of those generous spirited celebs whove unknowingly participated on season 3. obviously they’d gotten tricked into taking part of that now evil bent tv detox show.
    the one & only reason I’ll be watching, is so I can see wtf happened to my dear friend who happen to be one of the celebs of this season 3 show. I sure hope he has made it thru your archaic detoxing tortures. Oddly how Ive lost contact w/ him around the same time he would of started filming on your rotten reality show. I can only hope one those celebs has enough money to sue your tv show & the producers for all the medical malpractices!

27. Imran says:

Yes it is great episode.

28. Blue says:

How are people in Europe (I’m in Paris) able to access these videos? I see that the VH1 like most other US websites does not allow it, is there any other site which does? please help! merci!

29. Cookie says:

I have been a fan of Celeb Rehab shows, but I will pass on this season, because of that idiot who Dr. Drew still wanted to include in his rehab, and that would be Kari Ann Ceviche (or peniche..whatever..it rhymes with the Spanish dish) !! Hard to believe that Dr. Drew has decided to give this woman a second chance. Selma (from Sex Rehab 3) should have been given the same opportunity as well because she is not a brain damaged vermin like Ms. Ceviche ! Selma was just doing her job, but Ms. Ceviche threw the vase almost at her. It was disgusting !!

30. Candi says:

I cannot believe the brat, Kari Ann, was allowed back in there. She is the reason I stopped watch Sex Addiction after 3 episodes. Someone needs to help this brat grow up!

31. Rach says:

I think Dr. Drew’s tendancy to work with celebs and affluant Hollywood types with no real life motivations to get clean has given him a warped perception of what drug addiction is usually like.

If he worked with “average Joes” he’d understand that for every life that methadone doesn’t improve, there are dozens that it does, even if just temporarily. I ask, even if the methadone becomes a substitute addiction, how is that worse than shooting up with quesstionable substances that have unknown adulturants? The degree of difficulty @++$%^$~#~@^`@^ ociated with withdrawl is a poor measure of the drug’s worth, especially when that’s the only measure being considered.

Dr. Drew is painfully out of touch, and it really goes against his supposed goal of helping viewers when such misinformation is stated as fact. Shame on you, Pinsky.

32. John Hansen says:

Mindy is one pretty girl… I’m tuning in just to see her.

33. Kenno says:

I to had a drug problem and had to hit rock bottom before i figured it out.Meth was my favorite and now iwish i had a job helping these folks because i fill i have a place there.

34. kevin says:

i don’t agree with dr.drew putting heidi and tom in the same treatment center. they both were using togethter and were abusive to one another. this in my opinion will make them relapse and go back to their old ways. dennis rodman wont even admit to having a substance problem, why do you think the court ordered you to get treatment with dr. drew,face the facts you have a major problem. i hope joey can get clean and manage his temper for the sake of his girlfriend and his baby on the way, he needs to drop those friends he hangs with their just bringing him down. mindy needs to open up more. mackenzie stop beating yourself up, your dad is the one to blame. kari ann needs a wakeup call treat the staff with respect and the other residents you may even make good friends. lisa drinking excessively means your an addict , it isn’t okay. mike needs alot of help, id hate to see his talent go to waste, maybe pinsky can help his dad quit drugs as well.

35. A different perspective says:

I’m surprised by a few things. Having deep knowledge of drug addiction and rehab (I’m not addict but study and work with them), I am very concerned about the abrupt withdrawl that he forces on the patients.

There are safe, effective medical detoxes that occur under medical supervision. For instance, a severe alcoholic in am A+ facility will be put on anti-seizure medication ASAP. Some alcoholics can have seizures and die when their brain starts to withdrawl from having its contast influx of alcohol. These are very strong medications that are given under and with doctors care and continuous monotoring. When the patient is deemed ready, s/he will begin to get a TAPERED dose of anti-seizure meds to safely end that treatment.

I feel it necessary to point this out to people who are considering drug treatment. Not all facilities subscribe to Drew’s requirement that patients stop all medications, regardless of circumstances. There are facilities that view each situation individually, evaluate their drug and alcohol use history, current physical state, and potential withdrawl ramifications. Then a medical treatment plan is instituted. Please don’t let this ONE doctor’s approach scare you off.

Why do they bleep the word “mother”? Easy- legal made them do it. Mom, who already abused and damaged their kid, can sue everyone involved for defamation. Seriously. And it would be the responsibility of the patient to prove that the abuse DIDN’T happen.

36. Lara says:

I appreciate shows like this: Celebrity Rehab and Intervention on A&E. Believe it or not: watching these shows inspire me to stay clean.

With Celebrity Rehad, I get sucked in quickly because I am familiar with the people going through rehab and I feel for them. Then, when I see their ugly sides, I remind myself not to behave like them. To be better than them.

It’s hard seeing the first episode of Celebrity Rehab each season because it’s a tigger seeing them high. But the show does a good job showing them in a real light.

I also like how they did the Sex Rehab show because during my party years, I would either be slutty or high… or drunk and slutty. For some stupid reason, I never @^$_@)`*^+_#(%& ociated the two as similar problems: addiction. I’ve learned a lot.

PS I think the Rehab Technican Shelly is a freakin SAINT! I call her SAINT SHELLY! I admire her: she cleane up herself; deals with stuff that must tigger her almost daily; and now uses her life to help others. She’s amazing.

37. Sara Applegate says:

I have been really looking forward to this 3rd installment of Celebrity Rehab and…it did not dissapointme!!! I have the utmost admiration and respect for Dr. Drew and his staff. I’m not a religous person but I believe that they are angels on earth!

38. Shawn says:

Best show on television, hands-down. Perfect context for Dr. Drew to do his best. Thank you.

39. Swanglove says:

This show is one of the best shows on television. I have included into my program, along with meetings and sponsorship. A complete drugfree life is the only way to live. Substituting one drug for another is not sobriety. Withdrawl is ugly and pure hell, but the light on the other side is worth it and possible. I couldn’t start working on me until I was completely clean. This is a new way to live. It’s a chance to grow another person. I hope and pray all of the residents stay with the program. It truely works if you work it.

40. Swanglove says:

Jana

41. Betti says:

As someone who has had to rehab my 2 nephews, I think this show is an amazing resource tool for people who have people in their lives that are addicts. Granted it is being played out in front of camaras but when compared to other shows like Dr. Phil and Intervention, it is not a 60 minute cure. It shows the ups, the downs and the inbetweens that normal people don’t alsways get to see. Keep up the great work.

42. Sue Jennings says:

Dr. Drew, I was surprised to see Mindy having a seizure. I thought that by taking the vitals & weening down on medication, you would know when a patient is in danger of seizure & could prevent it. Isn’t that why a person never goes off xanax etc. or cold turkey on their own & they go into rehab?? Did this happen because she wasn’t completely honest about all she was really taking? I’m confused…..

43. fynkleman says:

there are a lot of comments on here expressing dissapointment in Dr. Drew’s statment’s regarding the use of methadone, but I understand where he is coming from. I work with drug addicts, many of whom use methadone. What’s frustrating with methadone use is when it becomes a legal addiction. If used as a temp. means to wean yourself off of opiates, it’s great — the problem is when it becomes a crutch. I see people schedule their life around the clinic appointments, year after year, after year – with the dosage amount going higher and higher. Sober, drug free living should be just that – sober & drug free.

44. Susan says:

JoshXlong, you haven’t mentioned if you have been through rehab or had some sort of treatment before you started methadone or currently. Methadone is helpful for chronic opiate addicts who will die from quitting, as a tool in detox. I believe Drew objects to it being a first resort, when it becomes trading one addiction for another. It is not the same as treatment, it doesn’t address the reasons behind the addiction. Suboxone could be an option for you in the future, it’s Methadone without the high, and can help you get off Methadone. It is difficult to stop Methadone, and you will need help to do so. It sounds like you feel a high from the methadone, or at least don’t feel worse physically. The important thing is that you and your partner acquire the tools to deal with your addictions. You likely have co-dependency issues you need to identify and learn how to deal with. Your family needs treatment along with yourselves to understand and deal with your disease. Your methadone clinic should be able to refer you to a treatment center, as well as support groups and recommend self-help resources. Good luck and congratulations for the progress you’ve made.

45. Jodi says:

WOW!!!!! I, of course, I have previously seen airings of the show as well as commercials. Friday, Jan. 8 I actually saw a bit of Season 3 on t.v. I vaguely remembered the website that was mentioned, and that night I typed it into my pc and began to watch the previous 2 seasons. I have had a total, of 4-5 hours sleep all weekend due to watching the entire first 2 seasons. I admitted that I was addicted to myself as well as out loud for the first time 10 years ago this month. The longest I have been clean and sober since then is 2 years and three months. The reason I used to relapse then was the death of my Dad. He died May 6, 2003; I relapsed on my 39th birthday which was 20 days after his death, May 26, 2003. I haven’t really had any ‘real’ sober time since then. Right now I am strongly addicted to opiates, something I have never been able to do without for more than 4 days in the last 4 years. I have never experienced physical withdrawals like I do when I try to do without at this point in my addiction. I am not a celebrity, but so many things I relate to with the participants of this show. I am handicapped, I grew up in a dysfuntional family with an alcoholic Dad, I have been physically and sexually abused, I was out of my children’s lievs for much of thier adolescent years, my 24 year old son is now addicted(which scares me to death), and on and on and on!! I know what I need to do, but I have no insurance and I am scared to death to even think about leaving my best friend which is mood/mind-altering substances. Well, truthfully, I can get addicted to anything that makes me feel good or to not feel at all. I am inspired by your show; however I feel stuck!!!! It’s just a shame there is not a Dr. Drew for us nobodies!!!

46. Aly says:

Dr. Drew himself acknowledged that methadone was appropriate in some cases. Once again, here are his exact words “If somebody’s in an untreatable situation and they’re going to die if we don’t do something – they fail treatment or whatever – then methadone is lifesaving. But to give methadone to everybody? Huge mistake.”

Twisting Dr. Drew’s words and calling him a scientologist is just plain idiotic. #1. Scientologists are anti-drugs, period. Dr. Drew is not. #2. They criticize therapy as well. Dr. Drew encourages it. This is not a black and white issue so don’t try to turn it into one.

The reason there is a stigma attached to medication is because the industry is corrupt. Drugs aren’t bad, but a lot of the people who make, market or prescribe them are unethical, and care less about our health and more about making money.

Drugs are big business!

Also, just because medications are legal does not mean they can’t be abused. Just look at all the stars who have died lately from legal medications like Heath Ledger and Michael Jackson.

I’m not anti-medication, just skeptical of the industry. When a doctor tells you that you should be a pharmaceutical rep because “you’re cute” you know there’s something wrong.

47. SherryB says:

I’m very disappointed with Dr. Drew’s attitude toward medication-assisted recovery, i.e., methadone and Suboxone. Both medications, while they can be abused, have saved many lives that otherwise would have been lost. I’ll be interested to see what happens as Mike Starr is cold-turkey detoxed from 100 mg of methadone. That is completely against common medical practice and horribly brutal. Is it maybe that people in the absolutely worst withdrawals imaginable make good TV? If the show is at all honestly documented and Mike and Heidi are cut off their medication with no taper down (and three days doesn’t count!) they should spend the entire rest of the 21 days in bed puking and dopesick, or simply have to leave to literaly save their lives. Methadone and Suboxone are demonized and stigmatized enough by the media and abstinence-only treatment. It’s sad to see treatments that are considered the gold-standard for treating opiate addiction once again vilified by someone who should know better. If Mike is at all able to function in later shows, then he hasn’t actually been cut off his methadone, no matter how it’s shown on the show. The same goes for Heidi. The withdrawal from methadone and Suboxone are so long-lasting that they’ll be too sick to function for much longer than three weeks. As a long-term (30 years) opiate addict that has had her life saved by Suboxone, it just hurts my heart to see this valid and medically-accepted form of treatment presented this way in order to make for better TV. Not only is the show playing with the lives of the people on-screen, but the thousands more who will buy the lie that medical intervention with methadone and Suboxone “aren’t real recovery.” That’s total bull and costs lives.

48. spect says:

i am very curious about mr. rodman

from a bit of his history its apparant that mr. rodman is far from average, and i dont mean that by simple lifestyle or personality aspects. i’m insterested in hearing more about his brain pattern and activity diagnostics, because something strikes me as… well, theres a bit more to that than whats apparant in his issues.

49. Michelle D. says:

Didn’t one of this years cast members die or is that just a rumor

50. Tweeny says:

51. Tweeny says:

Marky Chavez Half brother of Korn Frontan Jonathan Davis and lead singer of Adema needs to be on this show! I know their manager.

52. Little Naf says:

I want to send this message for MIke. I knew Mike way back when he was in A and C and he is a good person. I was shocked to see him now and cried for him. (I haven’t seen him in 20 years) I hope some one will give him this message. Mike you suffered a great loss and as you said it broke your heart. I am so sorry for that and you, however I know you can do this. Please don’t allow that one moment to rob you of all your power and passion! It will not be easy to take this journey, but music is your passion and that passion is what you should focus on and rediscover. There is so much to live for and so much to be grateful for. You can and will be a role model for others who have chosen the wrong path. You can overcome this and go on to have the life you want. I know what it is like to give your power away and think that there is something wrong with you. it took me a while to realize that there is no truth in that! What they did to you was not right but ultimately you didn’t believe enough in yourself to realize that they were the ones that lost out. You are talented and you love music. You can make it happen with another band. You don’t need them to be successful. It has been a long hard road for you but I hope you can realize what you have to offer and overcome this. I hope you can rebuild your self esteem and do what you were put on this earth to do! That is to create music. You are a beautiful person! Please believe in yourself!! Never forget this!! I am thinking about you and sending you healing vibes! Please do the work and get better. Please!

53. Lisa says:

I saw the show by accident for the first time the other day. I am going to watch it for Mike. Parts of his struggle remind me of myself. I love his old band but did not know him or his story. Love music in general. I am rooting for Mike and watching the show for him. He is a magnetic personality.

54. Erica says:

Drew needs to stop propagating his personal opinion as irrefutable medical fact. Especially about opiates and methadone/buprenorphine treatment!!!

Addiction is an extremely complicated disease, and he needs to stop simplifying it and applying a “one-solution-cures-all” mentality.

A REAL doctor would not do or say a quarter of what “Dr” Drew does and says, period.

55. Brian says:

I am hooked on Rehab!

56. Brian says:

Rodman seems like such a waste of time.

57. some random Canadian says:

I think they need to call Jill Vermiere from Sex Rehab ASAP! She seemed so knowledgeable and caring! Especially when it came to the sexual abuse issues.

58. Rebekah Lynn says:

Shelley should not be on this show. How professional is it to laugh, and make jokes about someone going through detox. It’s not. She infuriates me. There is nothing funny about Mike going through his DT’s. Throwing up is part of the process. Mike is right. She knows how to push his buttons, and he see’s her unprofessional treatment towards him. Kudos to him for trying to get his life back in order. Shame on her for not being the professional she is suppose to be. If his condition is as severe as “Dr. Drew” saids than he needs to go where he can get the proper treatment he needs. God Bless you Mike.

59. Q says:

Sometimes I think that Dr. Drew focuses on the wrong through… like saying that Lisa’s relationship to alcohol is not normal because she uses it to relax… why else would anyone drink? What purpose does alcohol serve? Does he drink? If yes why does he drink… I love what he does, but I think he’s off on this point.

60. SpaNancy. says:

This show is so compelling. But so heartbreaking.

61. SpaNancy says:

This show is so compelling. But so heartbreaking.

Sadly, I will continue to watch….

62. Todd(recovered addict) says:

Thank you erica!you are so right, i was a opiate addict for 10 years and tired everything under the sun to quit ,cold turkey rehab,N/A meetings nothing worked until i discovered and heard about subutex(actually heard about subutex from artie lange from the howard stern show)so i researched it for about one year before i found the right doctor to go to, and with counsling, both one on one and individual,after one year i was clean and stopped taking subutex it work and for dr drew to say things like he does is bad!! he thinks his way is perfect but it only helps the ones who r famous not us lowly nobodys he is so full of himself

63. SherryB says:

After last week’s episode, I was very interested in seeing how Mike was going to do with a cold-turkey detox from 100 mg of methadone. I really think that Dr. Drew should be intervened on from the medical board for what he knows is dangerous and unprofessional treatment. Cutting someone off their legal medication to the extent that they become psychotic is NOT good medical practice. And to do so in order to get higher television ratings flies in the face of acceptable addiction treatment. I suspected that the real reason they cut Mike off from his medication cold was to film him as he was vulnerable and in withdrawals, and I was absolutely right. I really hope that Mike gets out of there before they kill him with their ‘treatment.’ And he’s absolutely right to be angry about the cameras. Granted he signed up for this, for what reason I have no idea, as I don’t think he needed the publicity like the rest of the cast. But he knows, instinctively if nothing else, that the real reason for his pain and suffering is the cameras and Dr. Drew’s goal of higher ratings. Remember folks, this is first and foremost, a TV show. If you’re on methadone or Suboxone and watching this is shaming you and making you feel you should throw away your meds, remember that this is NOT acceptable medical practice and is only being done because they know that people, when they start watching a trainwreck, just can’t stop. So think twice—medication can be a great tool for recovery if it’s used correctly.

64. sfgirl says:

I think that peter moinichen and SherryB made some very good and important points.

While CR3 brings attention to addiction and most importantly treatment, Dr. Drew is presenting his view which at times seems very old school. Discounting medication-assisted treatment seems pretty absurd for a trained medical doctor to do. It also bothers me what he says about Lisa in this interview about wanting to discharge her because she isn’t there yet (or maybe I misunderstood and he was talking about not letting her on the show). He seems to adhere to strictly to the idea of hitting bottom which is just not true. She obviously has addiction issues what does he want to send her back out there and wait until she is “sick and tired of being sick and tired” and comes back in looking like Ms. Fleiss. I don’t know maybe I am just too new school, but I don’t think that is how it has to be and professionals shouldn’t abandon people because they aren’t sick enough. Imagine your doctor saying, oh sorry your cancer isn’t bad enough to treat yet, we are going to wait until it spreads a little more.

65. Julie B. says:

I have tried to post a blog several times today. I keep getting an error, and when trying to post it again, it says that I’m posting a duplicate. So not sure if my intelligent, well thought out blog was posted but hope so. LOL
    If I don’t see it soon, I’ll just have to post it once more. Thx

66. Julie B. says:

Right On Erica from Jan 13th! U said it!

67. Julie B. says:

I was reading the comments made by Dr. Drew above. As a methadone user, I don’t agree with his comment that it makes people sit on the couch. I assure you that WITHOUT my methadone I would be in bed sick. Methadone has saved my life in more ways than one. It allows me to function and take care of my family the way I should have been all along when using illegal opiates. I agree that it’s not for everyone with an opiate addiction, but you wouldn’t take away a diabetic’s insulin would you?

68. Sandy says:

Hi Dr. Drew,
    I think you should mix in the celebrities with some regular folks. I think the balance would be good for the celebrities in particular, and I don’t think it would matter much to people like me; whether I was there with actors or brick layers.

Please accept my sincerest condolences on the loss of your father. It is my impression from what I’ve read about you that he was very dear.
    All my best,
    Sandy

69. Sandy says:

Hi Dr. Drew,

Dr. Drew, please accept my sincerest condolences on the loss of your father. It is my impression from what I’ve read about you that he was very dear.
    All my best,
    Sandy

70. Daughter of a junkie says:

First off methadone is dangerous I watched two parents go threw the process. I state the dangers because it is addictive and can have the same effect as heroin. My father abused that when he couldn’t afford heroin. Withdrawal is something they need to go threw. Its not easy its not pleasant but neither is using drugs. Methadone and heroin do alter the brain from prolonged use. Some drs will write you anything just to make money. Counseling is very important in this whole process and dr drew understands that. You can’t treat drug addicts with another drug it just doesn’t work. I understand Shelleys attitude you have to think what she is doing she is watching people kill themselves. I feel bad for all of them. I hope to god Mike gets clean he doesnt look like he’ll last much longer. I think Dr Drew does need to explain to these people and america once your a drug addict you always are. You are always going to be tempted. The urges won’t magically disappear they may lessen but not go away. I watched this with my aunt who will tell you she is a drug addict and has been clean for 21 year. Its important to setup something long term for these guys so when they get that urge they can turn to someone for support. It is not easy. I lost my mom to it she died from years of crack abuse. My dad has the mental capacity of a 15 year old and he is almost 50.

71. EM says:

Dear Celebrity Rehab:
    Please let Kari Ann know that no one feels sorry for her or believes that she is being unfairly treated.
    I understand that we now “know about her addiction to crystal meth” and that that is the source of her erratic behavior, but that’s more or less another excuse.
    The moment she decides to sleep late or demand that someone bring her juice, please, smack a ho. Hard enough to get the brains she’s got left to rattle and realise it’s not Dr. Drew’s responsbility to make her want help, but to give her the help that she herself actively seeks.

That is all.

-The rest of the functioning world that only wishes we could be that spoilled.

72. Joe Naperhead says:

I was just wondering do people really think that getting lips puffed up with injections really looks good?I think its horrible looking(Heidi Fleiss)people just need to qiut it!! grow older with some respect

73. Paula says:

Kari Ann is so rude and obnoxious, I cannot stand to watch her. Her self-centered and viscious behavior really ruin the show for me. She is a total waste of everyone’s time (people that are trying to help her and the one’s trying to befriend her). All the drug rehabilitation in the world will not make her a nicer person. She needs some strong one-on-one psychological help. Drugs may be an issue, but her real problems are mental and should be addressed. She is so hateful that I cannot bring myself to feel the least bit sorry for her. Am I the only one that feels this way??

74. Jim Fouts Pharm D. says:

Dr. Drew for the last time, Adderall does NOT contain dextomethamphamine. It does have,amphetamines which include.
    EACH ADDERALL TABLET CONTAINS: 5 mg 7.5mg 10 mg 15 mg 20 mg 30 mg
    Amphetamine Aspartate 1.25 mg 1.875 mg 2.5 mg 3.75 mg 5.0 mg 7.5 mg
    Dextroamphetamine Sulfate USP 1.25 mg 1.875 mg 2.5 mg 3.75 mg 5.0 mg 7.5 mg
    Amphetamine Sulfate USP 1.25 mg 1.875 mg 2.5 mg 3.75 mg 5.0 mg 7.5 mg
    Dextroamphetamine Saccharate 1.25 mg 1.875 mg 2.5 mg 3.75 mg 5.0 mg 7.5 mg

Stop lying to your patients, or if you don’t know ask a pharmacist.

Thank-you

75. donna says:

Who else thinks kari ann is bipolar? I am a recovering drug addict and alcoholic, My drug of choice was crystal meth, I got clean in 1987. I lived in San Diego for two years and the only way I could stay clean was to move out of the state. I know now after many drunk days that I should have asked for help along time ago, I had my first child in 1991 and the second in 1993. I have lost them both do to my addictions, thank god they have family to take care of them, but my daughter is now 18 and acts just like kari ann. I just wonder if kari ann’s mom has a substance problem?

76. Julie P. says:

I’m sorry, but I have to disagree with Dr. Drew. It’s not a disease. It’s a WEAKNESS. Cancer and Chron’s is a disease. Drinking and doing drugs is not a disease you’re just weak. I had a brother that did drugs back in high school and he even says it’s a weakness not a disease.

77. Susan Hoobler says:

I enjoy watching your program until kari ann starts talking. I know its TV but it disturbs me to listen to her degrade everyone she talks to – is this just an act or is she really that rude – she acts like a spoiled brat. Everyone there has real problems there trying to work through and she never talks about her problems she just walks around like a diva acting like she’s better then everyone – and nobody can even try to be friends because she will start attacking if you don’t tell her exactly what she wants to here. Did Kari Ann get her way all her life – was she only told how great she was. I’m not usually this negative but this person turns my stomach – and I have to say I turn your show off at times because I can’t watch her put down your Staff and the other patients.

78. Kim says:

I do watch this show. I take medication for migraines and Fibromyalga. But I don’t take when I don’t need it.I’m trying to understand how people get so addicted to all these medications, drugs and alcohol. My grandmother was an alcoholic.But I feel very Sad for Dennis. When I look in his eyes its like he is so sad. He seems lost. He puts on this front because of who he is, like he doesn’t care. Nobody is going to tell him what to do and when to do it. It’s almost like growing up he was told “be a man, don’t cry”. I would say his parents didn’t have much to do with him. He has built a wall and has big trust issues. All those parties that you said you have at your house, those people are not your friends. Friends would not do things like that. It’s going to hard to break down. Dennis the only one that can change anything in your life is you and you alone have that control. All the money in the world will not change it. Which is to bad because I think you have lots left in life to explore. I wish you well.

79. tia says:

If they are suppose 2be geting off drugs why is it that Dr.Drew allows them to smoke?Nicotine is a drug and is also Addictive!!! It can also kill? They are geting rid of one drug, for annother<<<!!

80. NancyJ says:

Why doesn’t anyone this show take Suboxone? That is a lifesaving medication that saved my life. I have been on it for ten months now and have not had one craving for Vicodin. I also never even had one sip of alchohol. Suboxone is what these people shouldbe on, and then they would be doing well and getting their lives back together and recovering from opiate addiction. It’s better than the alternative, which is certain relapse.

81. Michelle says:

Dr. Drew you are a very smart man and caring towards your patients. My concern is your closed mind attitude toward Sumboxone/Subutex. This MEDICINE has saved many life’s including my own. Even if you do not support it please stop speaking negativity about it on your show. Many people watch and some my derail there own recovery by mistakingly believing that because you treat the famous and wealthy that you are a “better” addictions therapist than there own. You have said that everyone brain chemistry is different and it appears that Steven Adler and DJ.AM would have been speared pain and death with the help of Sub.

82. c c says:

Hello,

Would like to speak about the show celebrity rehab and Dr Drew.

First, thought Dr Drew and his show or ‘ shows ‘ we a god thing. However, after time I see him doing more harm than good. Seems the good doctor is an ” expert ‘” in just about everything . the pimary goal of these shows seems to be entertainment and ratings. I think television and fame are the biggest narcotic of all . When Dr Drew makes comments about methadone that are inappropriate, implication being no one should be on this at all . i don’t agree, the empirical evidence is there and don’t think Dr Drew really knows that much about methadone . Putting people on display utilizing their misery just for ratings is wrong . i would like to know what happens to the ‘ patients “who went thru treatment with Dr Drew , after 2 -3 or say 4 years are they still sober ?

83. JP says:

Dear Dr. Drew, I think you are amazing. You work so hard and have great results. I just messaged the guy (sorry, forgot his name) THE ONE WHO WAS ADDICTED TO AMBIEN AND ROLLED HIS CAR. I TOLD HIM I DID THE SAME THING WITH MY KIDS IN THE CAR WITH KLONOPIN, AMBIEN AND BEER. MY 7 YEAR OLD AT THE TIME HAD TO CRAWL THROUGH A BROKEN WINDOW AND WALK IN THE DARK IN THE COUNRTY AT MIDNIGHT LOOKING FOR A HOME. MY KIDS ALMOST GOTTEN TAKEN AWAY FROM ME. I DID GET A DUI AND TO THIS DAY STILL HAUNTS ME. i WILL NEVER FORGIVE OR FORGET. JUST WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND ALL YOU DO!!!! JAIME p