Tough Talk From Steve Ward – Season 2, Episode 8

tl_8_2

As he did last season, Master Matchmaker and VH1 Tough Love commander Steve Ward will weigh in with his thoughts on each episode of his show. Below, Steve talks about Episode 8: Liz being made to juggle two guys, Angel’s call home and why most of the women are starting to break through and made connections…

You had two guys show up at the pool party for Liz. That seemed like a precarious situation to put her in.

Dave really wanted to see her, and she wanted to see him. She wasn’t moving on, and we weren’t going to get anywhere until we resolved that. I just figured that since she didn’t have a lasting connection with anyone, instead of bringing an ex-boyfriend I would throw her into a frying pan where she would balance two guys at once. That’s a real-life possibility considering the way that she carries herself, and the type of making out that she does back in Kentucky. She could be making out with one guy one night, and a different guy the next night and then bump into them both the night after. How would she handle that? This was the perfect test.

We didn’t see too much of the moms’ interactions with the girls…

Not only that, you didn’t see too much of Alicia’s ex-fiance. It’s frustrating because there are so many good stories that just can’t fit into these little episodes. You didn’t miss too much, but basically the moms and Taylor’s dad all pretty much had endorsed the work at the boot camp. It was great, and it made the girls want to work harder. Kanisha’s mom noticed a night and day difference with her daughter. Her mom loved Keenan. It was all positive.

You intervened when you felt like Tina was ignoring her date.

I was watching this whole thing, like, “She’s gonna blow it!” I was concerned, too, because we didn’t have that much time left, and I didn’t want to introduce these women to other guys. I wanted to see them at least do well with the guys they were seeing, and she wasn’t.

Everyone else seemed to be connecting.

It’s getting to the point where they’re finally open. They’re not as defensive. They’re meeting great guys. They’re appreciating what’s going on: the opportunity to grow, change and evolve in a positive way. I think at this point, everyone was embracing it.

Was there any feeling, though, that time was running out and these women needed to hurry up and get their hooks into somebody?

Yes and no. I think more importantly, they realized that time was running out to finish the work that needed to be done. It was like cramming for a final exam – you now have to do that work that you didn’t do previously if you want to get a good grade at the end.

It was really depressing that no one came for Angel.

I hope you realize how serious that was. That was sad. My heart went out to that girl. But a main factor is that she’s been lying to her whole family. Plus, her parents are back home taking care of her son. Everyone else we asked wouldn’t come. It just goes to show that she doesn’t have much of a support group at all.

Things did work out for Angel after she called her parents. We’ve seen this common thread with her where she tends to get very anxious about what you ask her to do, but then finds that it’s not so bad.

Exactly. The biggest problem with Angel and Adam is that she has a hard time sharing her feelings and saying what’s on her mind. It’s going to be interesting to see how they end up. The girl is nonconfrontational, and I’m trying to teach her how to address things that really matter to her.

Any additional thoughts on Jenna’s treatment of her ex? The pushing and the pulling?

Wait till you see when I bring him back for that double hot seat. She’s holding onto something that’s not there. I don’t think it ever was, but she does. As crushing as it may be to find out that someone you really cared about never cared about you in the same way, at the very least it should give her closure. She should be able to move onto another relationship.

Circling back to Kanisha, she did the best this week for the first time in a while.

She managed to juggle her mom and Keenan very well, and she left a really good impression on him. She did by far the best.

Besides Jenna, this seemed like a drama-free episode.

Well, there’s a lot of animosity brewing between the girls and Taylor. A lot of the girls have completely resigned themselves to the boot camp at this point. All of them, actually, including Jenna, and they all suspect that Taylor is putting on a front. It comes to a nasty head in the next episode.

Follow Steve on Twitter!

VH1 Tough Love 2 show page
VH1 Tough Love 2 videos and extras
Master Matchmakers
Check out Steve and JoAnn Ward’s Book, Crash Course in Love

1. Olivv says:

Taylor’s my favorite. I don’t like any of the other girls, except maybe sally. I especially hate jenna and angel. they’re the most annoying.

2. Supermodel4u305 says:

TY Olivv!!!! I really dislike Angel in this show. I can’t help but feel that she is annoying because she is so passive and immature about many things. I love Taylor even if she is crazy and selfish, she’s honest and entertaining. Jenna is a baby about everything. I strongly dislike her as well. Her and Angel are a perfect fit because they are both sooo annoying

3. messagetosteve says:

in reference to your comment about angel not having a support at home…she does but she chooses to close her self off from everyone cause she always does opposite of how she was brought up in a very strick christian home and is sure her fam. will not agree with her choices and she knows that..part of the reason why she is alway’s closed off..likes to learn life the hard way..angel does not let the people support her by her own doing…and her fam. does love and care for her very much…i’m sure many hearts went out to her includ. her own fam… that was hard to watch and it was even harder because of the little out between her and taylor it made angel look even more distant between her and people who care and gave one up for taylor…dispite taylor putting it out there for everyone to hear by saying even your own mother didn’t want to come …angel’s mother is more in the bk ground and her father would have diff. been there but no one asked him to come…her mother keeps her distance because angel’s want’s it that way not because she doesn’t care..that was very mean of taylor and she doesn’t know all that has gone on in angel’s life nor how much angel has done to those who do care after a while her fam. just sit’s back and let’s her distroy her self because she want’s it that way..it’s sad but until she reaches out it will alway’s be that way…you have to really want help…and she will know when it’s rock bottom…like all of us..some learn easy and some not..

4. Catherine says:

I love this show!!!! My friends and I watch it religiously :P

I think it would be awesome if Steve dedicated one season to helping women in College find love. As a college student right now, I know that a lot of students have trouble either looking for, or keeping a serious relationship. I definitely think that it is even harder for women, such as myself, to find a first boyfriend or learn where to start in our love lives.

5. Angie says:

I love watching this show. This is the only reality show I watch and I cannot get enough of it. Steve has some great tips. I love the fact that Dave stepped up and him and Liz are back on, I think they make a great couple. I think Adam and Angel are a great match as well and like how he backs her up and isn’t judgemental. I have a good bit in common with Tina, I also have the problem of being “one of the guys” and it tends to run potential boyfriends off. I try to be girlie but its just not me. Jenna has some real issues and she is really getting on my nerves, especially after tonight, Steve just needs to boot her out. Now to Taylor, I did not like her one bit in season one and in the beginning of this season I still didnt. She has come a long way and I give her props with Willy. I am just so routing for my favorite couple and that is Liz and Dave!!

6. Susan says:

I’m a little defeated here. I am usually not drawn into reality shows, but this one has struck a chord. I am a busy professional, and decent enough looking. I like to consider myself to have great potential as a partnert. I guess I am just not age appropriate at 46 for this kind of advice. Read the “Crash Course”, but not feeling like I gained any insight.

So… Steve, when are you going to do a show for the lessons for my “category”? I make my own way, have raised my kids and still… no one EVER asks me out…!!! To coin the generational phrase… OMG! What does it take??

7. Susan says:

8. taylorsadvice..not says:

since when was she able to give advice to jenna are u kiddin me..and putting on that make up on the bus..no wonder the girls were put off by her attitiude not a good team plyr.and drillin angel after her date it was so obvisious she wanted angel to fall on her face i think angel was her friend for a good while til angel got tired of her ways and remarks all of the time about her self it’s plain to see taylor is for taylor and no one else…and does not want the others to be happy..i thought angel handled her self very well at adam’s hse. with his fam..when asked that ? it’s clear she does not dwell in the past and wants to move on….

9. Leah says:

“First Of All.. I Am A Fan Of The Show.. Why Ohh.. Why.. I don’t Know.” I feel bad .. that these “Beautiful” Women need his help. Is Steve married? Why Not? To Me.. that looks bad.. a single man promoting marriage when he is for some reason unable to seal the deal himself. I seen him recently … on HLN in an interview with Linda Hogan. OMG… “Steve … Needs The Hot Seat!” I was Very Offended.. was be brought up in a Jewish household that frowns on the changes that are now happening with wealthy women in Hollywood and America today? Okay.. granted… unlike that Millionare dating show.. where the men are Millions or Billionares.. these men and women are ordinary people with ordinary jobs.. except for Taylors man. So.. perhaps he is not equipped or knows nothing about this area of the wealthy. There are Vaginal reconstructive surgeries.. that can transforms womens vaginas into a twenty year old.. for one.. and women .. not even wealthy ones.. ordinary ones too.. are opting to get this done. Secondly.. he made an ignorant comment that men … don’t want to take a risk.. on an over 40 high risk pregnancy.. which is a thing of the past. He needs to do his homework..how can he be a Male Chauvenist Pig and a “UnMarried” Matchmaker? What a joke! I know of two women 50 who had a health baby. Mabe not several.. but.. a child. There is a highly effective ovary transplant surgery that is affordable for all women. You get on a list and you get an Ovary of a 20 or 30 year old or younger even.. Then.. guess what Steve? A Womans insides are now new .. vibrant and functioning on that youthful level.. that any man would drop to knees for. Along with some vaginal reconstruction..surgery.. and no matter how old she is.. if she keeps up with her looks and that area.. and does those things.. she can have any man at any age.. and yes.. he would stay for her.. Look at Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher.. They have been together over ten years.. and she had kids.. he didn’t they didn’t and he could probably give a damn if he does.. love doesn’t always spell out kids. Also… no matter whom a woman marries.. if the man cheats and the woman finds out… and they are married… he goes to the cleaners..bottom line.. and so be it.. Let them have a few kids and he will pay handsomely..if they divorce.

10. soharo says:

In the episode where the women had to transform to 60 year olds, with makeup, I found ridiculous, most 60 old women don’t look like that. tsk tsk tsk what was he thinking, evidently he doesn’t care what or hasn’t seen any women that are in their sixties.

wake up Steve look around…

11. soharo says:

In the episode where the women had to transform to 60 year old women, with makeup, I found ridiculous, most 60 old women don’t look like that. tsk tsk tsk what was he thinking, evidently he doesn’t care what or hasn’t seen any women that are in their sixties.

wake up Steve look around…

12. wine and thistles says:

Agreeing with Susan and others-60 does NOT look as it was portrayed,Steve! Wow-I just turned 50 and feel/look great!If this is what I’m in for,just 10 yrs from now..ouch! On another note-Jenna is annoying,excuse-making,ungenuine,and sulky..I would rather spend a day with Taylor,despite her loud and rude ways,than an hour with Jenna’s whining!

13. Tina says:

I love the show and Steve is absolutely adorable but, I get the impression that you think that women are the ones with all the issues in love and relationships, as if women are only single because we sabatoge or ruin our relationships. Im 36 and single. I’m not perfect myself but, I live in a town in Ohio where alot of men my age live with their parents, party every weekend and cant cook, or do anything for themselves, let alone know how to treat a woman.I have a few crazy dating stories that people cant believe when I tell them and you probably wouldnt either. I’d love to see a season with men going through the same trials as you put the women through and hearing feedback from women about how women really see them, because for some of us those good looking, respectful, mature men you set the women up on the show dont seem to exist. I’d love to know where you find them.