Examining Rehab 3 With Dr. Drew – Episode 3

Check out Dr. Drew’s video recap of this week’s Celebrity Rehab. Among the items discussed: the aftermath of Mindy McCready’s seizure, Heidi Fleiss’ isolation and Tom Sizemore’s aborted check-in. And below, check out maybe the most unlikely scene in Rehab history — the tender reunion between Heidi and Tom (who once went to jail for beating her):

When we talked to Drew about putting Hedi and Tom under the same rehab roof, he told us, “Addicts tend to travel together. And when they’re doing drugs, they do weird s***. They do bad stuff to each other. So it’s not that uncommon. It was problematic, and I had to be sure they were really OK with it. We spent a lot of time getting consent from these people, but they all felt like it wouldn’t interfere.” Still, that doesn’t make watching it play out feel any less strange.

Celebrity Rehab 3 - Meet the Cast
Celebrity Rehab 3 show page
Celebrity Rehab 3 videos and extras

1. Robes, ICU RN says:

As much as I love this show, and love how kind, cocerned and patient Dr. Drew is with the patients in rehab, I have to protest something I saw tonight on episode 3. Here goes:

Dr. Drew,

Why, oh why did we see you drawing blood from Tom Sizemore (or ANYONE, for that matter) withOUT gloves on? No, not because he’s drug user. Not because he’s a bad person. Not even because I’m a little ahem-retentive. BUT, completely because of Universal Precautions!

(For those of you who are not medically oriented, Universal Precautions dictate that medical professionals are to protect themselves, and their patients, against ANY potential blood or body fluid exposure. It’s not just against anyone they THINK might carry bad diseases. It’s against the POTENTIAL, because you just never know. That means gloves when drawing blood, and even wearing gowns, masks and goggles when appropriate.)

Dr. Drew, please…you are too valuable to this world to falter in this way! What would so many do without you if something were to happen?

This is said with the kindest, most concerning and admiring of intentions of the good work you do! I learn a lot from you about how to treat MY patients, even as I care for them for other issues.

The problem of drug and alcohol abuse is it’s not the only problem most people. It is definitely one that we have to deal with while addressing other concerns and illnesses. Thank you for bringing this out of the closet and teaching us all a bit of patience and love while dealing with people and patients with needs!

Just wear those gloves, my friend. And keep up the good fight.

2. Trish says:

Why the videos now? Can’t stand having to watch rather than read an interview. Seems lazy, too.

3. watcher says:

Seconding the comment about not wearing gloves when drawing blood. Bad for the patient, bad for the doctor, bad for setting an example about safety for all. Surprised to see such high risk behavior in what is supposed to be a professional setting and from someone who should know better.

4. Peggy Nurse practitioner says:

I, too, was appalled when I saw Dr. Drew drawing blood without gloves. Those of us who do it just put gloves on as second nature. It makes me think that this was not something that he normally does but that he just did it for the camera.

5. Terese says:

I watched the show last night also, I am a phlebotomist also and I for a minute thought I was seeing things? and after reading this I no for sure dr drew was not wearing gloves. Yes Dr Drew you are way to valuable and it only takes just a drop to maybe get on your skin and you never no you could have a cut someplace it happens all the time. So in the furture Please wear gloves its not a safe world out there anymmore Thank you

6. Hello says:

Hi could you please play that guy interviewing Paul McCartney again? because I didn’t get a chance to see it.Thank You.

7. mary says:

As an ER nurse I see the disease of addiction almost daily so I’m happy to see these patients treated with compassion and respect by Dr. Drew and his staff. But I was shocked to see Dr. Drew drawing blood from Tom Sizemore without wearing gloves! Medical professionals should always wear gloves when contact with body fluids is possible, especially when your patient is an IV drug user. Dr. Drew, you are a smart man, what happened? Also, if Mindy dislocated her shoulder, why wasn’t she wearing her shoulder immobilizer the next day?

8. mnchick says:

I wasn’t sure about the glove thing when drawing Tom Sizemore’s blood but da**..you guys were right. I was shocked when I noticed that he wasn’t wearing any. I wonder why he didn’t wear gloves? Very strange…

I was not sure how to feel about Heidi and Tom’s reunion..it was touching for sure and nice to see her open up. It broke my heart. It is obvious that there are feelings there between both of them but it is such a toxic relationship!

9. Obsessed says:

What the h**l!! I want reading entries. Not videos! I cannot watch videos at work. I wait every Friday just to read what happened on the show and bummer its only video. Bring reading back please.

10. Ginnie says:

I can really see some great ‘fine-tuning’ in this season’s episodes. First, the therapy sessions delve deeper into people’s issues; previous sessions were more full of the ‘fluff’ of therapy and not as much substance. Second, Shelly (who is fantastic) is now more multi-dimensional, not just the cop on the beat. She has alot to offer and I hope we see more of her as time goes by.

Critics say the show is not realistic. Hello? It’s television. And it’s L.A. Regardless, it still offers a glimpse of what addiction is, and how people can recover. And it shows us that the celebrity life is not all it’s cracked up to be when it enables addiction.

That said, why are the mental illness components to these addictions never discussed? None of these folks have ever been diagnosed with depression/bipolar etc? Many addicts self-medicate because they are undiagnosed for years. As someone with lifelong depression, I was saved by a doctor who realized I also had a bipolar component. It took six doctors and 20 years of “therapy” to come upon the right mix of medication. While not an addict per se, my tendency to abuse alcohol flew right out the window when I was medicated properly (three years ago). Mental illness probably plays as much of a role in addiction as trauma does. I wish that the show would explore some of these issues as well.

11. Cami C says:

I am really happy to see something on TV that does not glamourize alcohol & drugs. I went into outpatient care for alcohol in December of 2007. At that time the first season was airing and it really helped my husband and I understand the disease better.

Unfortunately I have had my share of relapses since 2007. I still have not given up on staying sober. This show gives me a reality check of what alcohol really does for me, it brings devastation to my life and poisions my body and mind.

Thank you Dr. Drew and Celebs that are willing to share their story of recovery.

12. David Caldwell, LCSW says:

Dr The first seizure (sz) I witnessed was in ’88 while I was about 18mos sober & volunteered to drive the ‘wino wagon’ to tale half of our 20 bed inpatient unit to a local AA meeting. I moved the chairs out of the way & turned the guy on his side. We called ems & then the meeting continued – with a quite dramatically demonstrated topic for the evening. He came back to the unit the next morning on 500mg of Depakote, & was fine. I can’t count the # of sz’s I’ve seen since then.

I’m horrified that no one moved the young female in your episode to her lie on her side, to avoid aspiration. (The whole debate about ethics & confidentiality is another topic – for a book).

I also hope you included AA, NA, SMART, SOS, & LifeRing somewhere in your taping of the series.

Acute care alone is doomed to fail for a long-term malady. Also, one size does not fit all. With Naltrexone patches & Suboxone, we have new tools for early recovery. So far, your ‘treatment’ is mediocre;
    and worse – it leads to a public misconception of what ‘best practices’ approaches are all about.

13. Mykal says:

For Mackenzie and Mindy. I am pulling for the two of you and want you to know that there are people who really care about you in this world, even if those people have never met you. I have met Mackenzie once at a car show in Lafayette, IN several years ago and wish I had talked to her more than I did. I would have really liked to get to know her much better. She was my favorite on “One Day At A Time”.

14. Kat says:

Dr. Drew,
    I am a huge fan of Tom Sizemore and really miss seeing him on the big screen. Please Dr. Drew, ask him to accept your help on behalf of all is fans. If all else fails, please try that. I’ve seen every movie he’s made and he’s the best. Please Tom except Dr. Drews help, as I personally want to see you back on the big screen. Show him this please and I hope he gets the help he so desperately needs. Thank you Dr. Drew

15. timmous says:

Who is Tom Sizemore? is he an actor?
    either way , get him OFF the show…he’s a fake and a distraction from the show, just like that d-bag from Crazytown was last season…
    nothing but a no-name trying to get his name out there, with some type of renegade sympathy, and it doesnt work…boring…
    ps..who is he?

16. karen says:

In a real rehab situation, Tom Sizemore and Heidi Fleiss would not even be considered for treatment together. C’mon, seriously? Do you really think any real recovery would happen in group therapy with a couple who have a history of domestic abuse–or any history??

17. concerned RN says:

I was so happy to see so many comments regarding Dr. Drew drawing blood from an intravenous drug user without gloves.
    For those non medical viewers, wearing gloves for all patients is called universal precautions. You can’t assume that any patient does not have bloodborne diseases so you wear gloves for ALL patients.
    Also, his staff should know what to do in the event of a patient having a seizure. Yes, protecting her was correct but she should have been turned on her side so her tonque doesn’t block her airway and to allow saliva to drain out of her mouth and avoid her inhaling it in her lungs. No wonder she it her tongue!
    I wanted to jump through the t.v.and help her when I saw what was happening.
    This is a great way to educate the public and I think this episode fell short.

18. Waiting Impatiently says:

Wish I could see this episode…come on, iTunes, it’s already Sunday. Eps 1 and 2 were available the next day and here we’re four days later…

19. Shinojosa says:

I have watched every season of this show. Up to episode 303 I believed that this show dealt with these patients respectfully with compassion and with a minimum of exploitation. I felt that it was for the greater good and that all of these pts had made an informed decision to be televised.
    This episode has changed my mind. The way the camera men stood watching Mindy have her seizure without offering any assistance. The way the show played that seizure over and over was beyond exploitation.

I also cannot believe that the show would go out of the way to bring two people with a highly volatile, abusive, co-dependent history(Heidi Fleiss, Tom Sizemore) into the same facility at the same time. This was a cynical decision and also reeks of exploitation. Dr. Drew my opinion of you has diminished. I will no longer watch. It is apparent that you and your staff do not really care about these people.

20. ToughLoveRehab says:

Please, please, please, please PLEASE bring back the written/text interviews with Dr. Drew. These video thoughts are such BS — if you’ve seen the episode you get no new insights from it. If I wanted to see the episode again I would save it on my Tivo after I watched it.

21. spacetracy says:

I have to say that Shelly(spell?) is not the kind of person you want helping you when detoxing off of Methadone or Heroin. What a bee-atch! NOONE and I mean NOONE understands what it is like to suffer detox from Methadone (worse for me than Heroin was) except those who have done it. I used to live in Seattle (cap. hill and west sea) and I had to leave in 2001 to get well and who the hell hasn’t heard of AIC? Don’t they have bios on the patients when they come into treatment and why would she not know AIC unless she was trying to be rude. Check out any target and you’ll see AIC!!!
    I think some people really need to get back on something because the drugs she did must of used up all her dopamine. AND what’s this crap about methadone? Methadone saved my life. Yeah I hate taking it, but it keeps me normal and living a normal life instead of out there copping for drugs. We now have a successful business and I hate to say it, but I quit everything for one year and I had to get back on the methadone treatment plan because like Shell- I had no love for life… like a black cloud over my head and I ached from head to toe for one whole year.So think what you like… I know methadone keeps me normal and NOT HIGH!!! I’ve been clean off everything else (not even a sip of beer) for 9 years so get real when it comes to Methadone treatment. SOme of us need it!!!! I’d rather be on my 105 mg of methadone a day then be a (+@_##_(^#@)&**%# like your Shelley. I understand what it’s like being from Seattle and shooting up on pike and pine and broadway at the Jack in the Box… etc. I used to hang out at the Ok hotel and we ALL respect and know who Mike is. He’s a GREAT GUY and deserves his street cred!!.. Tom and Heidi reunion made me bawl my eyes out. People who do drugs are actually some of the nicest people you will meet-so many people mistake users for all being loser @(*!##$+^%!*)~` holes when most are just really hurting inside and take too much in.

22. Spacetracy says:

I think some people really need to get back on something because the drugs she did must of used up all her dopamine. AND what’s this crap about methadone? Methadone saved my life. Yeah I hate taking it, but it keeps me normal and living a normal life instead of out there copping for drugs. We now have a successful business and I hate to say it, but I quit everything for one year and I had to get back on the methadone treatment plan because like Shell- I had no love for life… like a black cloud over my head and I ached from head to toe for one whole year.So think what you like… I know methadone keeps me normal and NOT HIGH!!! I’ve been clean off everything else (not even a sip of beer) for 9 years so get real when it comes to Methadone treatment. SOme of us need it!!!! I’d rather be on my 105 mg of methadone a day then be a _~$`_))@*`*(*()$& like your Shelley. I understand what it’s like being from Seattle and shooting up on pike and pine and broadway at the Jack in the Box… etc. I used to hang out at the Ok hotel and we ALL respect and know who Mike is. He’s a GREAT GUY and deserves his street cred!!.. Tom and Heidi reunion made me bawl my eyes out. People who do drugs are actually some of the nicest people you will meet-so many people mistake users for all being loser $^$@((!&)+&)`@* holes when most are just really hurting inside and take too much in.

23. Spacetracy says:

PEOPLE DETOXING FROM METHADONE SUFFER TERRIBLY and should be treated with more respect than Shelley can give- I FEEL YA MIKE!
    I think some people really need to get back on something because the drugs she did must of used up all her dopamine. AND what’s this crap about methadone? Methadone saved my life. Yeah I hate taking it, but it keeps me normal and living a normal life instead of out there copping for drugs. We now have a successful business and I hate to say it, but I quit everything for one year and I had to get back on the methadone treatment plan because like Shell- I had no love for life… like a black cloud over my head and I ached from head to toe for one whole year.So think what you like… I know methadone keeps me normal and NOT HIGH!!! I’ve been clean off everything else (not even a sip of beer) for 9 years so get real when it comes to Methadone treatment. SOme of us need it!!!! I’d rather be on my 105 mg of methadone a day then be a $@$~%@!#(#__&)#`& like your Shelley. I understand what it’s like being from Seattle and shooting up on pike and pine and broadway at the Jack in the Box… etc. I used to hang out at the Ok hotel and we ALL respect and know who Mike is. He’s a GREAT GUY and deserves his street cred!!.. Tom and Heidi reunion made me bawl my eyes out. People who do drugs are actually some of the nicest people you will meet-so many people mistake users for all being loser `(%%!@**_%+@`$( holes when most are just really hurting inside and take too much in.

24. blakmira says:

Yes, let’s examine Rehab 3 regarding Mindy’s seizure.

I would like to know why Dr. Drew did not mention to the doctor doing the brain scan on Mindy that she was on two or three different types of anti-depressant pills plus a painkiller (as she admitted in her first interview)? Instead, he just attributed the seizure solely to alcohol, as she’d “claimed” not to have a problem with pills.

It is a known side effect of all chemical anti-depressants that they can cause seizures, with or WITHOUT alcohol. It’s quite disturbing that Big Pharma is given a free pass on their toxic prescription pills by Dr. Drew and VH1.

And then just to blindly accept that a head trauma in the back of her head was the cause of injury to the frontal lobe in her brain?? — you don’t need to be a brain surgery to realize that makes no common sense.

What’s up? Surely someone else noticed this too?

25. robert says:

my comment is for tom
    I’m a fan you have so much talent i wish there were more
    actor and actress that would step up like all of you
    guys KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK DOG GOD BLESS YOU AND EVERYONE THERE DOC KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

26. Dissapointed says:

Dear Producers,
    What was your intention in showing Mindy’s seizure over and over and over again? A seizure is dramatic enough that it only takes one viewing to remember it. Your repeated clips were nothing short of exploitive. You should be ashamed of yourself when this show is supposed to be about helping people and raising awareness about addiction. So, why didn’t we see Mike vomiting over and over again for three episodes? Not as good for ratings as a generalized seizure? Shame on you. A few seconds would have been sufficient, but to stand there with the cameras so every moment can be captured for later gawking? Or better yet, have Drew talk about what actually happens neurologically during a seizure so you can educate rather than entertain. I’ve lost a lot of respect for this show.

27. Eowyn says:

Blakmira. Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Didn’t Mindy talk about taking being addicted to Xanax or taking it regularly? One of the chief withdrawal symptoms I know about from abruptly stopping Xanax are seizures. I was wondering why no one said anything about that too. Did I miss it?

28. Tanya G. says:

Dr. Drew,
    I am a person who was severely dependent on the drug Vicodin, as well as Valium, but my drug choice was the opiates. I went to the ER one day because my body was so weak I couldn’t walk, I had amnesia and dymentia, along with several other problems. I found out at the hospital that my liver and kidneys had failed and I was given a 10% chance of living through the night, and had to be air lifted to Madison Hospital, where I was in the ICU for several days, and then kept on the regular floor for a few more days. I am now narcotic and alcohol free, and I would love to tell you and/or your patients just exactly what road they are facing when they are constantly dumping all those pills and what not into their bodies. Please, if you would like to hear more of my story, e-mail me. I think by telling my story, I can hopefully reach people into thinking first before popping pills or reaching for alcohol in order to escape reality. I am hoping my story will inspire people to reconsider what they do in their life, and how their families are affected, etc. I would love to share this with you.
    Thanks,
    Tanya

29. GROSSED-OUT says:

My mom, who is a nurse practitioner and has been in the medical field since before I was born, found it absolutely repulsive that a doctor would draw blood from ANY patient without gloves on. Being in the public eye gives you a duty to set an example and to see Dr. Drew draw blood from a known drug user completely set me and my mother off. Even worse, no one in this rehab clinic stopped to say anything about this. The nurse brought everything to Dr. Drew but gloves? I’m pretty sure one of the first things you learn in the medical profession is the importance of cleanliness and not spreading germs.

Shame on you Dr. Drew!

30. Colin says:

As an addict with over a decade clean, I applaud the more practical tone being set during this season. I noticed that recovery literature is being made available to the clients and that there have been a few references made to continued participation in Twelve Step based recovery programs.
    My question…Off camera, is there exposure to “Program” people through H&I efforts? Is the message of change through actual change passed along? Are the clients taken to outside meetings?
    I realize that celebrity comes with a set of problems that I did not face when attempting to get get clean. But an addict is an addict is an addict… The method of getting and staying clean is the same for all.
    I do not have a degree in anything. I have not worked in a CDC or hospital setting.
    What I am is an addict that has a program. An addict that does not have a life anything like the one I used to live. An addict that is active in service and has had the opportunity to live and travel in recovery….see first hand that it works if I work it…diligently…everyday in some form.
    Just some random thoughts.
    Thanks for your time

31. Michelle Terry says:

Tom Sizemore is the *~*_)~###!)#*(_@ Every movie he’s in is an instant classic and I’m soo sorry he’s going through this! I myself kicked a heroin habit and am now living a sucessful life and wish the same for Tom! PLEASE dont give up on yourself! You can do wayyy better than madison or whatever and even better than heidi fleiss(she’s a (@&$`$++“(!*&^@* by the way remember that) dont let a (@&$`$++“(!*&^@* ruin ur life! U are soo much better and if you need a friend look me up on facebook and i’ll tell you the secret to kicking the *~*_)~###!)#*(_@ Love you Tom (my favorite movie of all time True Romance) You are soo talented please always remember that

32. starcrow54 says:

This is directed to Tom Sizemore. Tom, you were such a BRILLIANT actor,( and of course still are) and I really do hope and pray for you to see this through (as I hope for all) and become sober. You know you still have a lot of fans out here and I hope you realize your talent is truly a gift. I don’t mean to sound all cheesy, but really Tom, give yourSELF that gift of sobriety also. Please don’t waste it. Absolutely rooting for you! (((hugs)))