Tough Talk From Steve Ward – Season 2 Finale

tl2_finale_7

And so, we come to the end of our VH1 Tough Love blog commentary with Master Matchmaker Steve Ward (at least, we’ve come to an end until Tough Love Couples starts!). Below, he gives a rundown on the progress of each of the nine women who participated in the show this season, with further insight on where they are now and his feelings on this season as a whole.

So Rocky was the first one up at the ring ceremony, and she asked Jason to accept the ring. Were you happy with this?

I was happy. I was glad they were continuing to see each other. Their relationship doesn’t go any further because of irreconcilable differences. Could it have been foreseen? Yeah. It turns out that he’s too allergic to animals, and Rocky is obsessed with them. And she didn’t want to budge enough. Now, if it were up to me, and I was trying to make that relationship work, I probably could have coached them in a direction to make it last. But I don’t think either one of them were willing to compromise that much. I told him that he can take a Claritin, and she could drive to his place.That would have been the solution in my mind.

What about Sally? She gave David her ring.

Sally’s awesome. She’s cute. She’s got a lot of work she needs to do on herself, but it’s not an overnight thing. It’s not an overnight thing for any of these girls. We all struggle with what makes us human, and what makes us who we are in our personality. And the fact is, a lot of people have these tendencies or demonstrate this behavior that we know is wrong, but we do it anyway. But if you’re willing to do the work and make the effort, then you should grow from it. And that I appreciate, and that I respect. That’s what I think happened with all of the girls.

Sally definitely has had visible growth.

Oh yeah, she’s a much more confident and self-assured woman. You know, at the beginning of that show, she couldn’t even look at me without shaking. She couldn’t make eye contact. I messed with her on the show. I would stare at her when they were getting the cameras up. It would make her so uncomfortable, but it’s like, “What am I going to do? Yeah, I’m staring at you. What? So what? What am I going to do? Leap across the room at you or something?” She has this natural inhibition about her, and it holds her back. She has this fear of expressing herself.

Tina kept her ring and stayed “committed to the process.” No big surprise, right?

Not really. You would have seen the same sort of thing from Abiola in season one. She’s still single, and admits to being Miss Picky. If that’s what you want to do, then have fun. I just want you to be aware of what you’re doing, and as long as you’re aware of it, then I’ve done my job.

Do you feel like Tina made any progress?

Oh, I think she made a lot of progress. I think she’s definitely sexier, I think that she’s definitely become more mindful of men, and willing to take chances emotionally and put herself out there. I really appreciate that. I think that she’s come to realize how important it is to express herself, and how short life really is. She’s changed so much from this experience, and she admits to it. There’s a lot of people that have changed in different ways, but I think it should be noticeable with Tina. I think she should be more assertive and take charge in this area of her life and to be able to create more opportunities for herself than she has ever created before. I think she would be able to admit to being able to doing that now — or at least that she’s better at it than before she came to boot camp.

How about Kanisha?

I think that Kanisha is somebody that will continue to have to battle her own psyche and not assume the worst in men. She also needs to realize that she’s capable of providing her own security and she doesn’t need to rely on a man for that, but can hopefully just appreciate it and not necessarily make that the most important thing that she looks for in someone.

Jenna gave her ring to Tuner, despite the fact that she just connected with him days before. What did you think of that?

I mean, they have a history. He was excited about it, she was excited about it. Clearly those two still had a connection, so I’m happy for her. I mean, that’s the thing: people are so afraid to say “I love you.” Why are they so afraid? Take a chance with somebody for crying out loud. Put your heart out there, what’s the worst that could happen?

What do you think about Jenna’s overall progress?

It took a long time, but I think she finally faced her fears. It’s obvious in the end how she put herself out there and gave that guy her ring. I mean, she gave him her ring. That takes balls.

Yeah. You said that she was your most difficult subject ever.

Yeah. As far as Jenna’s concerned, I had the most distance but made the most progress. I think I covered the most ground from bad to good.

Liz gave Dave her ring, and they exchanged “I love you”s. He even gave her his ring, which was like an implied engagement…

An unofficial one, if anything. They really had a lot going for them when they left boot camp. But do to personal irreconcilable differences they’re not going to continue to see each other, and I understand why.

Alicia gave her ring to Nick, and then he asked her to move in with him and open a bar.

I thought that was awesome. I thought that was really ballsy. He really called her out! I think it was great. She manned up and said she’d give it a shot. And that’s all you can try for. Just being able to say, “I’m willing to give this a shot. I’m willing to take this a little bit further and see how far we’re going to get.” And you know what? I’m glad that they did. It’s funny how things worked out.

Angel ended up doing the best, which is funny: you had your hardest boot camper and your best boot camper in this season.

Angel did the best, she made the most progress. She learned how to open up and be able to basically just communicate her feelings and thoughts, and why she thinks the way she does, and do it in a very constructive way. That’s the most important thing. And because of that, it’s made my job easier, and it’s made it easier for Adam to connect with her, which matters more than anything. In the future, if it isn’t going to be Adam, it’s going to be somebody else. And hopefully she’ll learn from this experience how to make it work.

How about Taylor? Do you think she made any progress at all?

Taylor is just so painfully insecure and defensive, it makes it almost impossible to guide her. She doesn’t want direction. She doesn’t want guidance. You see glimmers of hope. She makes sense occasionally. But it’s exhausting. It really is.

Any final thoughts?

I noticed significant change in all the women and although they may not be 100 percent relationship-ready, they are far better off than they were when they got here. And as a matchmaker, that’s the main thing I hope for.

Steve has two events in Atlantic City coming up — click the image below for more details.

steve_ac

VH1 Tough Love 2 – The Aftermath
VH1 Tough Love 2 show page
VH1 Tough Love 2 videos and extras
Master Matchmakers
Check out Steve and JoAnn Ward’s Book, Crash Course in Love

1. Jennifer says:

I really want to know how they are doing now that they are out on their own in these relationships? I mean you controlled their environment as long as you could Steve….So what happened Did Liz get married? Did Tina stay on the right track? What about Angel? I loved what happened for Alicia. She was the most surprising one of all…What’s happening now that it’s been a few months?

2. Kathryn says:

Ok, Liz, can I have Dave then? I mean, really, I don’t remember when a real man made me want to jump through the television set and ride off into the sunset. I had really hoped things worked out with you two, especially seeing him give you HIS ring, too sweet! You made a very cute couple, sorry it turned out different…but if I had that sexy around me, I don’t think I could let him go! Someone, please play match game and point me in his direction so I can fall into those strong, sexy, arms…

3. Ashley M. says:

I really don’t watch t.v that often but i lved tough lve and i SO hope theres like 20 billion seasons after this! And that girl Kathryn in the comments bellow? KEEP IT IN UR PANTS, holly jesus.I think SHE needs tough love haha. every girl there was amazing.. tough love and tool acadamy are all that my tv lives for this is so sad haha. STEVE AND HIS MOM ARE AWESOME *HIGH FIVE*!

4. Cleta M. Feltner says:

I thought Adam was so cool. Where do you get men like him? Do you follow these guys at all.

5. Paulina says:

jennifer go back to the blog page and scroll down to the after math bulletin to see what the ladies them selves had to say and how they are now

6. Kevin says:

I’d like to see the gal from the millionaire matchmaker take Steves’ course; she could use some pointers on interpersonal relations.

7. Kristi says:

i really want to know the name of the song they played whn angel was stripping on the pole…it soounds so beautiful

8. Michelle says:

Wow I learned alot just from the show!! Wish I could be on the nxt season after the couples show!! How do you do that lol? This single mamma needs some help!!

9. Tacy says:

I think it’s great what you and your mom do. There’s always women out there that have self-issues and none of them really realize it until, apparently, someone like you bring it up to them and make them realize that. There are normally friends that tell you, but hearing from a neutral source just never works out. It was sad to see that the couples that I wanted to work out, didn’t, but I know that wasn’t the point of the show; I believe the point of the show was to find yourself and love yourself, which is what they seemed to find. It’s hard when you have a past but keeping your heart open for love is always a good thing! You just have to hope that you won’t get hurt. Plus, if you do, it happens, unfortunately =o(

10. Cassie says:

I agree with Tacy about love. I watched both seasons of Tough Love and I noticed that I had something in common with almost all of those girls…so I learned a lot and I made some positive changes. Thank you Steve, I’m looking forward to learning a lot more from you.

I just recently went through a bad break up from my relationship of almost 3 years and my questions for you are: How do you heal a broken heart, especially from your first love, after a bad break up? How do you move on and be able to open your heart to others? How do you not let past experiences control your emotions or future decisions?

11. sarah says:

Imlove this show so much! Although i thought it would hekp me, it did no such thing. I’m still looking for love and i am having no luck

12. Shirley Horton says:

Hello Steve Ward,

How can I register for tough love? I have been single since 2006, I am a single parent, business owner and college student graduating summer of 2010. I am very selective and can’t seem to find the guy for me. HELP Steve!

Shirley

13. Caitlyn says:

I know that it must have been hard. But I love how committed you are to this process. You saved a lot of people and when i find love, i’ll use your advice. Do you ever doubt your advice?

14. Isabella says:

I wonder if Steve is secretly attracted to Taylor. I would like to know what happened to the women. I saw Rocky on a previous reality show. I wonder if this is all an act. I hope not.

15. Jamie says:

I have a friend who would be perfect for this show. How does she go about signing up for the next season? She is beautiful, and was just talking to me about how she needs advice and input on dating. I told her about this show and she is really interested.

16. victoria says:

I think this show is so stupid…fun to watch because of the drama but so lame. I dont know why Steve is putting himself on the line to the world to show everyone what a fool he is and how hes not a good matchmaker. He’s had 2 seasons now where I dont think ONE of those relationships worked out. Its so dumb. He should just quit now before he gets even more creppy. The end.

17. Marie says:

Steve i know my best friend Catessy would but a perosn for your show she need some tough love in her life she has lost her way in the real world.

18. Theresa Moore says:

I love your show so much. It’s the best reality show I have seen lately.

19. tony says:

what a horrible show. promote a stripper (angel) who left her son in ohio to gain popularity and find a fake boyfriend on t.v. in cali….where’s your son at angel? not with you? suprise.

20. jennifer l. says:

girls i hope you are doing good really, but what i really want to know is if steve has found love because ever since i’ve seen him omg he is a beautiful man wow i am dumb founded with this man

21. nicole says:

WHEN DOES THE COUPLE SERIES START?? AND THE NEXT SEASON OF TOUGH LOVE?? OMG IM ADDICTED TO HIS SHOWS

22. Shandel Gere says:

It took a lot for these girl to believe in “love” and go out on a limb. They all have grown a lot and hopefully they will continue to be happy with themselves.

23. message for tony-2-11 says:

now you don’t really think we think this is your real name do you…maybe it’s that nikki chic…agin…i can tell by how you write and the things you say…get a life …and not angel’s life….already…no one writes about her the way you do…ur sick little mind….don’t worry about her and her son…worry about your self…you’ve got it real bad….she blew you away in the dust…

24. Marci says:

I just love your show, I always try to watch it as much as I can. I can truly relate to a lot of the stuff that they are going through.

25. Anna says:

Is Steve married? or in a relationship?

26. Angel says:

I liked all the girls but my favorite was the Angel … And she was lucky to find a man like Adam Angel Force ……. hope sejes happy.

27. Zeenat says:

I WANT THIS SERIES TO LAST FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best show on TV!!!