The Celebreality Interview – RuPaul

What a treat this interview was: it’s not everyday that you get to meet the most well-known person in his professional field. But that day came last week when RuPaul, the most famous drag queen in all the land, visited the VH1 Digital office to talk about the new season of his show, RuPaul’s Drag Race, his life, his culture and his career. In the clip above, Ru and I discuss camp and the unlikeliness of constructing reality around parody (which Drag Race does in its structural send-up of America’s Next Top Model and Project Runway). In the clip below, Ru talks about his affection for the drag queens that are competing on his show.

In the next clip, Ru and I discuss viewing Drag Race from an anthropological perspective, drag lingo and gay culture being stuck in place, society’s fear of feminine men and what the past 20 years of gay culture have looked like from his perspective as an out celeb:

And finally, in this last clip, Ru discusses being regarded as a curio (even still) and why every bat of his eyelashes is a political statement. He also gives me some unsolicited feedback on the interview – no comment card needed. This was major!

RuPaul’s oft-mentioned new book, Workin’ It!: RuPaul’s Guide to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Style, is out now.

RuPaul’s Drag Race 2 show page
RuPaul’s Drag Race 2 video content

1. Amber R. says:

I absolutly positivly LOVE RuPaul. I love this freakin show and I love everything he stands for. This from a married mother of a three year old who has now gotten her husband into the show. (good thing? bad thing? not sure at this point.) “You better work for it, TINA!!!”

2. Raytrail says:

This show was funny to me. don’t get me roung i like RuPaul’s she is what every body want to be. I say good job on this show and i hope to see more.

3. shana says:

This really is a great interview Rich! I was really excited to get to hear Ru talk about his personal life philosophy that really is a driving part of the Drag Race series.

4. solange says:

i heart ru!

5. Kristin T. says:

Rich, Ru’s right — you are a really good interviewer! I think one thing that makes you so great is the tremendous respect you have for your interviewees, whether it be RuPaul, Megan Hauserman or Heather Chadwell. Through that respect, you are able to show us the interesting perspective that this human being has on the world. It’s really something. One thing I think I like best is that you always end up getting your interviewees to talk about their goals or what they are hoping for themselves, and I feel like in that way you see the most engaging part of a person.

ANYway, thanks for another great interview :)

6. Jslice says:

RuPaul is awesomely articulate and thoughtful. “You are not who you think you are” – he kind of reminds me of Burroughs!

7. danielle marie says:

Rich – You are my favorite interviewer! I have been a huge fan ever since I stumbled across fourfour oh so long ago. Thanks!

8. Huh? says:

WHAT IS THIS _~~*!@!^*#*((##( ING MUSIC IN THE BACKGROUND?! Rich, come on.

9. Divalady7 says:

Rupaul you are sick aren’t you? People automatically ^@#$$^#`(+@%__% ume that you have aids or the hiv virus, you could have cancer for all they know.People just want to feel alright or find comfort from the stress in their lives. So they find someone they think is less important in this world to point therefinger at i’ve been guilty of this and as so many others.

10. ccoper.k says:

I think Rupaul is awsome .He has gave people the courage to come out and feel good about them selves and not live life sad,hidden and scared.Rupaul is a true Icon and is loved by so many people. Im a true fan and even now all my straight friend and family know Rupaul and even 60% are now watching Ru”s show :)

11. Nate says:

Love the multiple book plugs Ru!

12. Ronnie Bruno says:

I’ve always loved RuPaul. I’m so happy that gay (and str8) kids today have him as a role model. Legendary but still fresh and hip and on the cutting edge of everything.

13. Come see juliet jansen!

14. Each as well as all telephone number listed in the United States carries a comprehensive essentials what time features; names, their age, lane address, with gender preference essentials.

15. Lots of the sites usually are inaccurate. Reputable along with reliable change mobile phone search solutions are as of there you additional necessitate with the aim of grasp where once to look.

16. A lone thing cellphones possess got in common determination be alive the fact so when the identity needn’t be alive displayed. The problem is the fact whilst these cellular phone numbers are private with protected by means of laws.