Christina Aguilera Debuts Bouncy New Single, “Not Myself Tonight”

It seems almost unfathomable that Christina Aguilera, for all of the impact she has had on the music world, has only released three full-length studio albums during the course of her ten-plus year career. Her self-titled debut stormed the pop charts way back in 1999, she got herself all “Dirrty” in 2002 with her Stripped LP and went Back To Basics with a big band-influenced sound in 2006. But after taking the last few years off to focus on raising her first child, Max, she’s gearing up to release her latest album, Bionic, in June. As a means of whetting the public’s appetite for the project, Aguilera debuted the first single, “Not Myself Tonight,” on her official website last night.

Judging from the electro-flavored synths and pulsating, dance floor ready rhythms of this Polow Da Don produced banger, it’s immediately apparent that Aguilera recognizes that her biggest competition these days is no longer her old Mickey Mouse Club rival Britney Spears, but rather the omnipresent Lady Gaga. To wit, Aguilera begins the song by announcing that she’s feeling “out of character” and “in rare form” as she hits the club, ready to embrace the kinds of pansexual behavior that Gaga has built her reputation on. Although she promises (Her lover? Her husband? Herself?) that “In the morning, I’ll go back to the girl I used to be,” tonight she’s unrepentantly “taking shots” and “kissin’ all the boys and the girls” who cross her path. Got a problem with that? Aguilera has two simple words for the haters: “F*** you.”

Point taken! Actually, we’re glad to see that motherhood hasn’t softened Aguilera’s attitude in the slightest. As soon as she decides to cut a music video for this song, you’ll no doubt be seeing it on our weekly Top 20 Video Countdown. (Speaking of which, it will be interesting to see if Aguilera appropriates any of Gaga’s visual style in her video, something she has been accused of in the past.) Until then, enjoy the audio clip above.

1. Jo says:

The Gaga backlash is looming. Not everything revolves around her.

Wow, this whole article is crap. What is with the Gaga comparison? Christina was doing crazy over the top stuff during her Stripped era (Showing up at the 2003 VMAs in only pink feathers or wearing nothing but a cardboard cut out when she hosted the 2003 European Music Award in England) all this when Gaga didn’t even exist. So if Christina is outrageous now, that is something she has DONE IN THE PAST and will continue to do in the future. It’s part of HER artistry.

Rihanna and Beyonce can do their crazy shoulder padded over the top looks and no one says a thing. Yet you attack Christina with this copying rubbish? Christina’s new song sounds SO much better than anything Gaga could ever produce. I like Gaga too but it’s articles like these that really make not like her that much anymore.

2. Mark Graham says:

Hi Jo,
    Thanks for reading! I don’t think that Aguilera is totally ripping off or biting Gaga’s style, but you can’t deny that this song has at least a bit of Gaga influence. And any way you slice it, the two are going to be each other’s big competition for radio/mp3 dominance this summer.

I’m not an Xtina hater, though. Fwiw, I can’t stop listening to this song and I think it’ll end up being a monster hit. It’s very 2010, soundwise; that much is certain.

3. William Alderson & Greg McCammon says:

I feel that Christina Aguilera & Lady GaGa are both very good in what they do! I love the both of the artist.

4. William Alderson & Greg McCammon says:

O, Love the song Christina, You rock girl.

5. Rach says:

I’ve always thought that GaGa was a bit Xtina, mixed with a little Fiona Apple. I’m glad she’s making a comeback, Christina is one of the most talented singers out there.

6. Clancey Joe says:

Ok I am getting kind of sick of clicking on a website to see music from someone other than LADY GAGA and POW! They have to drop her in somehow. So the queen of thievery is now influencing other people? Get off your Gaga fit, enough already..and make more room for others. Not a bad song, if a little stock.

7. Jo says:

I freakin’ love the song.
    And what the heck’s wrong with Gaga?

8. Eeeeeeeeeeee says:

i love gaga. i like the old christina songs but this one is kinda meh. little boring. the lyrics aren’t the best either.

9. I say says:

I kind of think they are both stupid.

10. CHRISTINAS BIGGEST FAN JEN YANEFF says:

I AGREE 100%
    vvvvvvvv

Wow, this whole article is crap. What is with the Gaga comparison? Christina was doing crazy over the top stuff during her Stripped era (Showing up at the 2003 VMAs in only pink feathers or wearing nothing but a cardboard cut out when she hosted the 2003 European Music Award in England) all this when GAGA DINT EVEN EXIST. So if Christina is outrageous now, that is something she has DONE IN THE PAST and will continue to do in the future. It’s part of HER artistry.

11. JAY says:

WOW I LOVE CHRISTINA’S NEW SONG “NOT MYSELF TONIGHT” ITS AMAZINGGGG ITS GONNA GO STRAIGHT TO #1 4 SURE!!!!!!!!!CHRISTINA IS BACK AND FIERCE!!!!!!!!

12. Remy says:

Both Aguilera and Gaga are two of the hottest artists out now!Christina has already turned bad girl,so it’s not a shock when she does something edgy. Gaga has drawn so much attention from her “breakout” for going dominate. This think how vicious it would be if they collaborated on a song together! Christina and Gaga are the current Mariah/Whitney and Monica/Brandy. They both have ammazing vocals. They should not beef with each other.

13. Anne says:

I don’t like this much, it’s not that bad but not that good either. Her vocals are great as usual but the lyrics and music aren’t doing much for me. Hope she has better to offer from her album.

14. Anne says:

I think the Gaga comparison in the article is unfair. Gaga is just the latest sensation we don’t know how long she will last while Christina has been hanging in there for a while now. Also, Gaga doesn’t own any of the things mentioned in the article and is certainly not the first artist to pull any of the stunts or use the style that she is exhibiting right now. People like Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, and others have done everything Gaga is doing now so why are people giving Gaga all the credit for everything that she got from others. I think this will cause some people to get tired of and/or resent Gaga.

15. bamz says:

Xtina the BEST !! Lov U <3 ..

16. Maria says:

Not a good song at all. She has an amazing voice, but she barely write her own song, and has someone else design her costumes. Gaga does it all and writes for top names like Brit. I have always been an Xtina fan until she bashed Gaga. This song it plastic and it is all because of the lyrics. Gaga’s quirky, self written lyrics and accousitc quirkiness are wonderful and she has never claimed to be original but she did bring her own spice. This is just a lame attempt to capitalize on what Gaga has made popular again, and it isn’t even that great. Not horrid, but only because of her horrible lyrcis. Maybe she should apologize to Gaga and maybe Gaga will show her how to change the world. Look what Gaga has done so far. Took Xtina many more years to accomplish anything like it. Just saying. Bleck

17. Marina says:

dont forget ITUNES 4/13 gotta be #1

18. lauren says:

First of all any REAL Christina fan will know that she is an innovator and if you look at Gaga’s video there is some attributes of past videos of Christina. Christina has been working on this album for sometime before Gaga came into the picture, if you follow the interviews of artists that worked with her on this album then people would not be talking that Christina took ideas from Gaga. Christina has always been her own creator and will be here longer than Gaga. Don’t get me wrong I like Gaga but Christiana does not have to parade herself in outlandish outfits for attention to stay on the map , her vocals speak for themselves. Christina doesnt need anyone to defend her, but i felt that as a true fan of Christina, I had to express my opinion, because she is a classy chick and her videos is what we expect from a talented artist.

19. Legalsounds says:

I can see that you are an expert in this area. I am starting a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.