Exclusive Golden Gods Awards Preview: Ronnie James Dio On His Comeback From Cancer

One of the things I was most excited about while shooting the fifth season of That Metal Show was the chance to see my longtime friend, Ronnie James Dio. I had last seen Ronnie just a few months prior when the Heaven & Hell camp bought me to LA to do an interview with them for an upcoming DVD. At that time, Ronnie had just started his chemo for stomach cancer. I was very curious to see how Ronnie was doing now that a couple months had passed since our last encounter.

Needless to say, I was thrilled to see him well enough to attend the Golden Gods Awards (airing on VH1 Classic on Saturday, May 22 at 10 p.m./9c) and approach our broadcast position on the Black Carpet. He has been a great friend and supporter of mine for many years now, and not only is he one of my favorite musicians, he’s also truly one of my favorite people. As you can see, he is positive about his prognosis, thankful for his many fans and their support, and looking great. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers as he continues to battle this illness, and enjoy this clip as proof of what positive vibes and support from us all (along, of course, with the help of all the great doctors working on his case) can do. Get well, RJD!

Eddie Trunk

1. kim says:

Hey I love your show but Lemmy really scares me he lives in Los Angeles there must be surgeons who can remove those 2 things on his face Please tell him nicely that the warts need tobe removed I had nightmares because of those things Thankyou

2. bob dimartino says:

you guys are pretty good, haveing stven vai and joe satriani. but, you guys also sux. i watch the program almost all day but you never put rush, quennsryche. you always put poison, or motley crue, come on give us a break..you have to always air those bands and sorry, they are very tired of getting them..or kiss, big deal. they are a pain, put queensryche, rush, van halen, ozzie..do something with the program the way it is..something different. i like the show but come on ppl..do something..more to say but youll tell me to go to hell lol…thanks

3. KIKE says:

rst in peace DIO VEWRY difernt and unique style we apreciate your lagacy

4. Erika says:

RIP Dio…just watched this clip a week or so ago. Sad day indeed. He was an awesome guy and will be missed. :(

5. lordbrave says:

rest in peace ronnie !!! we will miss you a lot !!!

6. John Ward says:

I am among the millions of Rainbow & Black Sabeth fans saddened to read of the loss of such a rock icon as Ronnie James Dio. I am sure the noone at That Metal Show will forget that they may have been the hold his last interview

7. CJ says:

RIP Ronnie James Dio. Heaven’s house band just got a lot better, but we are emptier here as a result.

8. jeff says:

rip ronnie not many know he has been around since the 50s in various doo wop bands before starting dio and going to black sabbath and rainbow. dio has been around the music business his whole life. he has a true pioner. his music will never die.

9. Bobbybagpiper says:

RIP RJD. It was an honor to meet you and shake your hand. And it was truly a privilege to see you perform live. Horns up!!! \m/

10. jeff says:

vh1 classic should have some kinna tribute to ronnie play some of his videos and interviews. they owe it him. i am sure his family will have some kinna tribute to him and some kinna cancer reaserch in honor of his name. the ronnie james cancer reaserch instute.

11. Ed says:

Dio will rock forever!! \m/ \m/

12. Micjhelle Nugent says:

Knew him & Wendy Many Many years ago. Haven’t seen them in 20 years (when I was very much a part of it all), and I must say this is one of the saddest days I’ve had in many years. The loss is great. When you hear the stories about people not everything you hear is true, but in Ronnie And Wendy as well; it is all point on. 2 nicer people you would never meet and soul mates to the core I cannot even begin to feel where she is at at this moment. My deepest positivity is sent your way Wendy. Saddness is felt for all the young fans like my son ( who told me this afternoon )that will never have the chance to meet such a great guy. Sleep with the angels Ronnie, If I ever play a game of pool again, I will think of you and all the fun games we played in the 80′s.

13. john silivriyanos from boston says:

I am deeply saddened because today the heavy metal community is in mourning because as I have just found out today, the icon of The mob Rules,(because u can not put a price on RJD’s vocals as he screams out-if u listen to fools-The Mob Rules!)-simply put priceless!!, has passed, Mr. Dio-RJD has left our world as we cherish and remember him for what he has done for heavy metal, I and everyone else in the headbanging world,u will truly be missed, love u always-see u soon Ronnie,

14. Paulie C says:

R.I.P Ronnie james Dio. A great voice went silent today we will miss you.

15. Mark says:

We’ll miss you Ronnie. The world has lost the voice of metal but you’ll remain in our hearts forever as will your music. Rest in Peace RJD………we love you.

16. JOHN says:

RIP RONNIE, YOU CHANGED MY LIFE AND MADE MY WORLD A BETTER PLACE. LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL! AND RJD!

17. 1justice4all says:

I learned of tragic news today with the passing of a wonderful human being and incredibly tallented musician. There have been so very few rock stars that an entire industry they help to forge. As tears are streaming down my face I truely feel a deep profound since of loss.
    Mr. Dio apitomized true metal royalty and I will fell his loss or along time to.
    Last note: Thank you Mr. Dio for creating some of the most influence music to every be created.

Forrest Mounts

_______+++++++088888888888_______
    _______+++++++088888888888_______
    ________+++++++8888888888________
    ________+++++++0088888888________
    ________++++++0088888888____

20. Lee Jones says:

This is a said day in metal. We will miss u Ronnie.

21. Yan says:

Rest in peace Ronnie.

You were the best! Nobody can speak about metal without mentioning your name.

You will be sorely missed.

22. Mike from Boston says:

RIP Ronnie James..You will be missed in this Heaven and Hell Type of world!..Thanks for the music!

23. phil says:

we had a tribute to Michael Jackson . What about Dio

24. Dan says:

I was lucky enough to see Dio many times over the years and was able to meet him before a show in Chicago. Thanks for the many years of GREAT music! You were one of the best Ronnie and we will miss you! Long Live Rock & Roll and long live Ronnie James Dio!!

25. paolo says:

Like Elvis, Ronnie James Dio will was a Legend.

Without dought he was the greatest!