Hip Hop Honors: Who Stole The Show?

Our vote for the question above goes to none other than Missy Elliott, who’s been more or less absent from pop culture since shortly after 2005′s The Cookbook (save the odd What Chilli Wants appearance). Missy’s one-two punch of “Get Ur Freak On” and “Work It” (during the Timbland-tribute portion of the show) was met by the 2010 VH1 Hip Hop Honors audience with rapturous response — the cameras could barely capture the feeling of elation that washed over that room. Missy returned the crowd’s energy tenfold. Let’s hope she keeps up the momentum — we miss you, Missy.

Entertainment Weekly, on the other hand, had a different pick

Calling Bow Wow‘s performance of Kris Kross’ “Jump,” a “show-stealing surprise,” EW’s Music Mix blog christened the Jermaine Durpri segment of the show the “liveliest.” Indeed, this was a surprise (I don’t think anyone would have expected Bow Wow to be able to hold it down amongst such hip-hop heavyweights) and perhaps the best cover of the night (although the Game‘s take on “My Is Playing Tricks on Me” alongside Geto Boy Willie D was terrific).

Finally, understatement typically does not steal shows, but Luke‘s “Banned in the USA” monologue was short, sweet and effective:

“See, this thing that we call hip-hop in the South, we started this s*** when we said curse words on the record. People didn’t like what we was gonna say, but we said it. People like Tipper Gore. People like Al Sharpton. People like Jesse Jackson. People like C. Dolores Tucker. They couldn’t stop us. We did this s*** the right way, and the South lives and 2 Live is what we are. So all you right-wingers, Tea Party members, all y’all can kiss our ass.”

Luther Campbell: still choosing his words carefully after all these years.

2010 VH1 Hip Hop Honors Official Site
Hip Hop Rally Machine – Have Your Say On Which Artists You Want To See Perform Together
Complex.com
MissInfo.tv

1. Shamontiel L. Vaughn says:

When I was younger, I didn’t used to really pay attention what 2 Live Crew or Luke was saying. Now that I’m older (28) I understand why the Civil Rights heavyweights weren’t feeling it. I’m not feeling it either. I think so much of that genre led to women being disrespected in rap even more. So I’m definitely not going with Luke.

As much as I liked Bow Wow’s performance, I really wanted to see Kris Kross again. Bow Wow represented way better than I thought, but I was too distracted on Twitter trying to figure out why the Chrises didn’t show up.

But as for Missy, oh, she absolutely held it down as usual. There’s a reason I’m celebrating her for Black Music Month. She always does it big. She stole the show, but Diddy bringing in that New York flavor on the Jermaine Dupri performance temporarily had it. Leave it to Diddy to STILL bring New York to a Southern Hip Hop celebration. I love that in him.

2. LadeeIn Pink08 says:

Hands down I felt that Mystikal killed the stage last nite! You gotta factor in that this dude has been locked up for the past 6 years and still managed to bring the energy to the crowd without missing a beat. He is what Dirty South is all about.
    On another note I feel VH1 could have done a better job with this HipHopHonors. Where was Lil Wayne and Cash MOney? Why was Timbaland honored? He aint considered Dirty South. Nevah-evah-evah let someone else perform an Outkast classic! Some of the choices had me so distracted trying to figure why those that were there were being featured over those who were missing and much bigger contributors to the Dirty South Movement.

3. jay swiss den doe says:

Hello world i a little upset about how they do artist from Milwaukee.I’m here watching the best 100 hip hop song every and not once have said anything about COO COO CAL OR BABY DREW and their hot!! COO COO CAL has two hot videos that were both on BET,MTV,AND VH1 but no one seems to care about the midwest. When will thing change most we have to move to be known or will people wake up and see us for what are and that is artist of hip hop .

4. whateverkid says:

Timbaland is from Virginia. He is way more “southern rap” than east coast or cali or midwest.

5. Kaij says:

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH VH1. FIRST OF ALL HOW DO YOU HONOR THE DIRTY SOUTH IN NEW YORK? WHERE WAS OUTKAST, WHERE WAS EIGHT BALL MJG, WHERE WAS KILO, RAHEEM DA DREAM, JEZZY, AND WEEZY. TRULY DISAPPOINTED… LASTLY, WHAT THE HELL DOES TOO SHORT KNOW ABOUT BEING FROM THE DIRTY SOUTH? HE’S FROM FREAKIN CALIFORNIA. VH1 YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR JUDGES DO BETTER RESEARCH!

6. jackDaniels says:

Willie D and Game stole the show. They had crowd response and energy (especially Willie D). It would be dope if they did a song together. Or even doper an album.

7. Jennifer says:

Kaij read me mind!!! How in the world do you hold a hip hop honors show for the South in New York?! What a joke! The audience was wack and full of groupies not real southern hip hop fans. I’m glad the South was recognized for their contribution, especially Organizaed Noise Productions. They are the sound of Atlanta and I LOVE them!! Must respect to J Prince, Uncle Luke, Timbaland and JD!

8. 1269297 says:

What a lovely day for a 1269297! SCK was here

9. 1538556 says:

What a lovely day for a 1538556! SCK was here

10. stomach fat says:

This system motivation today live untaken with the purpose of track trailing prank callers or else unwanted callers. Both a user determination want is an bing connection. In order whilst track these disruptive callers the user new uses lone of the reputable telephone transpose companies.

11. The companies offering the service of quash telephone search claim they be able to discover any cellular phone number. Because it is very a fairly supplementary system it is very major once to unearth a reliable provider. At what time a qualities locates a company offering this service the telephone number be capable of be real obtained quickly.

12. No subject matter the reason for doing a overturn cell phone number search, using a company that will the whole lot it promises in addition to added determination be alive the top route as soon as go.