Brandy Hasn’t Inherited Sonja’s Mothering Philosophy

brandy_7_26

Brandy & Ray J: A Family Business has focused a lot on the tension in Brandy and Sonja Norwood‘s relationship, and an interview with Brandy in Parade suggests that said tension has informed the way she’s raising her own daughter, Sy’rai. Says the singer, “I love being a mom and I’m raising her in a different way than how I was raised. Some things that my mom did with me, I do with my daughter — it’s just a different dynamic.” She then elaborates on exactly what she’s doing differently:

“A lot of mothers feel like they’re the mom first, with that authority. But for me, I’m a friend first. I believe that just being there for my daughter as a friend more than ‘I’m in charge…’ causes her to be more open with me as a person. That’s just what our relationship is. Of course, there are times when I have to discipline her — I’m mom. But there’s still that nurturing and love there that we have. I know I’ll probably get flack for being a friend first, but it really works. She’s really honest with me. I’m just teaching her how to trust herself. I tell her all the time that my life is not your life — you have your own life.

At the end of the day we’re going to be friends. When she grows up, it’ll be about that friendship that we’ll have. She’ll come to me for any problems that she has. If I have an authoritative wall up, she’s going to rebel and not come to me and I don’t want that.”

In her own quiet way, this seems like a rebellion against the very concept of authority. Pretty sneaky, sis.

Brandy also describes her hopes for future collaborations with her brother Ray J, including a sitcom and a joint album. “It’s always been our dream to be like the new Donny & Marie,” she says. That’s the Norwoods, for you: always giving you something to look forward to. [Parade]

Our exclusive Brandy and Willie Norwood video interview
Brandy & Ray J: A Family Business show page
Brandy & Ray J: A Family Business videos and extras

1. skutery says:

Having good content can only get you so far unless you also provide a good atmosphere to comment in

2. mrs johnson says:

Watching the show really shows that there has been tension between those two for quite some time. I really feel sorry for Brandy and how it seems that her mother treats her. Ray seems to get away with everything while Brandy and her father are always at fault. I like Sonya but i feel that she is blinded by her love for the two. I pray that Brandy takes over the business because looking how Ray carries on it will be turned into a zoo!!!!

3. Marilyn says:

READ THIS!! Congratulations family on your reality show. I’ve watched Brandy from her sitcom til now. I’ve watch Ray Jay with all of his dramma with his women. I know it’s just business. But, I have something to say regarding the episode regarding Brandy’s reluctance to talk about her accident that took another’s life. I could see where this episode was going from the start, first saying it needs to be put out there so the people can know her side. Then the exchange between mom and daughter…you should do it…but why mom, these people are going to call me a murderer…but they don’t really know what happened…the lies the police put out there, the media, etc. So, my question is…if you were not going to let your fans hear your side, why in the first place did you bring it up? Was it just for the public to hear how it has hurt you and it can’t bring that person back? How it has affected your life, now and while you were imprisioned. I, as a mother myself would want to protect my child also, but I KNOW that you all know how the show is going to go before it even comes on. I was VERY INTERESTED in knowing your side, but instead you decided not to. WHY? did you bring it up in the first place? I’d been waiting the whole show to hear about this. I like Brandy, but I think she took the easy way out….lets talk about your side and why you don’t have to go in front of a camera to explain…it should stay in the past. Bad mistake. In order to get closure, we ALL need to face our demons. Family will be there to back you up and comfort you, of course. As an artist to the young public…yes you do owe the people who support, buy your music, consider you as a role model, watch you daily, to atleast give them some closure to. Bad mistake. And Ray Jay needs to stop drinking so much…dude. It sets a bad image for our younger boys. I have a 16 yr. old that is watching him. I love the love you and your husband share. Don’t take this as negative….only my opinion as a mother. You look great girl…but let Brandy and Ray Jay grow up and spend more time with your husband, he loves you…it seems lol. He is a good man. God Bless. Please reply, I’d love to hear from you and NOT your staff. I’m a Black mother to. I SEE YOU ON YOUR COMPUTER ALL THE TIME!!! Marilyn, A Black Mom Too!

4. thismomentisfate says:

lol friend first? she sometimes treats brandy like brandy is the mother, and sonja is the bratty daughter. shes not friends with her daughter and brandy obviously doesn’t feel comfortable being herself around her.

5. LATEEFAH MAYS says:

THIS WILL BE THE 1ST BLOG I HAVE EVER WRITTEN TO IN MY LIFE AND USED MY REAL NAME LOL. BRANDY I HAVE LOVED YOU SINCE YOUR FIRST ALBUM AND BEING THAT YOU ARE ON TV NOW AGAIN I HAVE GROWN TO LOVE YOU MORE. I KNOW YOUR LOVE FOR YOUR MOTHER AND YOUR BROTHER& FATHER HAVE GROWN, BUT SOMETIMES YOU NEED AN OUTSIDE OPINION. I AM NO ONE OF IMPORTANCE BUT I WATCH THE SHOW JUST FOR YOU AND I FEEL SOME OF YOUR PAIN. FOR OTHERS TO JUDGE YOU OF FAULTS BEYOND YOUR CONTROL “THE ACCIDENT” I FEEL THE PEOPLE ARE WEAK BECAUSE THEY HAVE LOST SOMEONE AND REALLY WANT SOME KIND OF CLOSURE. THERE IS ONLY ONE PERSON TO IMPRESS AND THAT IS “GOD” NO MATTER WHO HE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT DECIDES IF YOU WILL ENTER OR NOT IS GOD. MY MOM WAS ADDICTED TO CRACK AND I HATED HER I WAS SO LOST IN TRYING TO PROVE ME AND OTHER FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS I THOUGHT DAT I WAS ONLY DOING IT FOR THEM BUT I REALLY LOVED DESIGNING HOMES THAT I AVE FOUND SOME GOOD JOBS. I ACTUALLY FOUND MYSELF ON THE RIGHT PATH. DO NOT GET ME WRONG I WOULD NEVA COMPARE UR MOM TO MINE. BUT FEELINGS ARE FEELINGS I STRUGGLED TO PROVE IM DOING THE RIGHT THING BUT OTHERS DAT DISSAPROVED OF ME. DO THEY EVEN KNOW THE RIGHT PATH. LIKE YOU SAID. I AM SO SMART AND IT WAS MY WILL TO PROVE OTHERS WRONG THAT I HAVE FOUND MYSELF. I NOW HAVE A 11 MONTH OLD AND SHE IS THE SMARTEST CHILD I KNOW. TREAT YOUR SON LIKE HE IS A “GOD” BECAUSE HE IS AND NOTHING CAN CHANGE THAT. I LOVE YOU IF YOU READ THIS OR NOT. I WILL KNOW UR FANS WILL KNOW U HAVE CHANGED A LIFE. MINES YOU MS MOSHEA AKA BRANDY NORWOOD THANKS FOR THE STRENGHT

6. recykel86 says:

heres alot to do running a buisness im not a millionair but i have dreams and it takes time i know u see it but theres more to life than money and the other things the eye see…what u wanna do for the people might be in u but whas in you….your life affects ohers..if u dont hare it i do….lol if you want a story n you have time..lol hit me back..if you got time for me…I know how this might sound but we cant hand out all the omfo..one love and may God be wih you at all imes keep faith and you know whas infron of you…from cyke

7. cyke says:

sorry theres alot but i know you know…and i know..

8. recykel says:

and if we can see…amen..lol..i just feel so held back becuz i know what i mean…i justs wanna be happy and is because wha i see out here…one thing can mean one bu its so much more..for y…dream for us as a world because so much is going on….we need a bond in life other than what we….know in our life.and see…buisness is life…now management takes time….we want time…………………..its in us…

9. recykel says:

from wo worlds….they have a understanding they just wan more understanding…whats o misunderstand….undersand a life bond for a life or for life

10. recykel says:

i can only do so much….and then sill….patience…can slo me down….but what am we dreaming on….happily ever…..words speak for them self its the acions im focused on are we all…”on the same page”…? steps to a tomorrow….from yesturday becuse i am…today…

11. reckyel says:

vh1 brandy.ray j sonja…..happy fahers day..

12. NikkiNee says:

This show is so LAME!!! Why would these two da’s think anyone would want to watch there old _~)^#@$#!&#)_@~ parents?????

13. NikkiNee says:

and could Brandy’s eyes be any further apart? she has to turn her head from side to side just to see

14. Jennifer says:

Brandy is REALLY portraying herself as a HORRIBLE parent! There is nothing mentioned that she even has a daughter! What is the deal? I understand if she does not want her child subjected to the cameras ect., but you would never even know she even has a kid at all by this show! She is always without her daughter going on trips and there is not even a mention of her child’s name or that she is even a parent! At least mention your child’s existance!

15. Danielle says:

I really really really like this show, but seriously I keep asking myself “Where is Brandy’s daughter?” She refuses to want to be like her mother, so they won’t have the same relationship, hell at the rate she appears to be going they won’t have a relationship at all. I love you Brandy, but seriously as a parent you cannot be your child’s friend first. There are a bunch of people out there that can fill that friend role, but only one person that can fill her mother role.

16. Jazz says:

@Jennifer and Danielle- Brandy said that she did not want her daughter on television right now. If Sy’rai decides to go into acting , then it is her choice , but Brandy and her daughters father have agreed to not show her on camera.

17. 366822 says:

What a lovely day for a 366822! SCK was here

18. Amazing, this is very fun to read. Have you ever considered submitting articles to article directories?

19. There are manifold reasons people desire them such seeing as scouting as soon as follow a line of investigation unknown cell phone numbers that are displayed issue your caller ID or else your cell phone bill, whilst determine the source of a harassing caller, while verify an address, plus once to look winning an old friend or else lost adore, further to name some.

20. Particular of the benefits of doing a switch phone call would subsist once to understand some facts area numerous people next to as soon as or further the numbers themselves, you be able to have possession of the results as well as the of your search proviso ended internet in new a couple of minutes, you be able to hold intense information such since the name in addition to addresses of the people with the purpose of you possibly will be real already in the market in support of.

21. Whenever you type the telephone number in after the directory, the authorised folks name, city as well as state are going whilst be present revealed.

22. Seek not in rearrange telephone bing directories that basically currently be the owner of 1 particular field in support of you while fill out, after is the spot so when the telephone number belonging to facilitate the man or else woman you’re appearing for goes.