Brandy Vs. Darkchild

In this week’s Brandy & Ray J: A Family Business, we were treated to a delightful narrative regarding Ray J signing an artist deal with Universal. Once he announced the deal at the dinner in the scene above, his present collaborator (and Brandy‘s former collaborator) Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins swung by to help celebrate. During the course of his brief visit, Brandy demanded that she have some level of creative input on the Ray/Darkchild collabo. Darkchild shot her down on the spot and it only got messier from there, as Ray sided with Darkchild, telling Brandy she was “trippin’.” Who’s right here? Does Brandy have a right to check in on her brother’s work or is her aggression somehow tied to unresolved issues with Darkchild? We’ve seen her time and again call out people who give Ray more favorable attention than her (Sonja, Ryan, etc.). Is this more of that?

Our exclusive Brandy and Willie Norwood video interview
Brandy & Ray J: A Family Business show page
Brandy & Ray J: A Family Business videos and extras

1. 1994fan says:

I think Brandy and Ray J have been jealous of each other when it comes to working with Rodney. Notice how Ray J was acting when he said it was his time to work with Rodney (in one of the earlier episodes). His facial expressions and tone kind of seemed to me like he didn’t really mind that Brandy and Rodney were not cool with each other, because it meant he could have Rodney all to himself. And I think Brandy is jealous of Ray J working so much with Rodney right now. Yes, she is not on the best terms with him and may be overprotective of Ray J because of it. However, I think it’s weird for her to see her brother closely working with Rodney while she is on the outs with him. It’s like Ray J is replacing her or something.

I love Brandy, but I think Brandy needs to stay out of Ray J’s business with Rodney, and I think Ray J needs to stay out of Brandy’s business with Rodney when they work together. It is up to Ray J to express what type of music he wants Rodney to produce for him. If he doesn’t like it, he needs to tell Rodney (just like Brandy should have told Rodney if she was not feeling the songs he did for her during the “Human” era). It’s Ray J’s album, not hers. Furthermore, the fact that Brandy has issues with Rodney brings about negativity that he and Ray J don’t need while they are trying to put together the album. I do hope Brandy and Rodney eventually resolve their issues, though. “Never Say Never” was an amazing album, and I like when they work together.

2. DEE says:

Brandy really needs to fall back. She looks so desperate and crazy at the dinner where Rodney came by. She is just going off and if you look at that clip Ray J. obviously doesn’t want her in his business. He’s been called “Brandy’s brother” for years and I don’t blame him for wanting to do his own thing.

3. Evonne says:

I think Brandy want to have Ray J’s back and is always looking out for her “little brother.” I believe she was trained to do that! But Ray J is a grown man now and no longer needs, wants, or appreciates big sister’s help!
    I think Ray J wants to always hog the spotlight and will one day leave Brandy out in the cold. He forgets, or purposely ignores the fact that if it wasn’t for Brandy, no one would know who Ray J is. He has always been Brandy’s little brother. I think Brandy needs to start building her own empire or take over the one her mother has already carved out for them because when Ray J gets control over the company he’s going to sit Brandy on the back shelf and leave her there until Sonja tells him to throw her a bone. I think Ray J is an unappreciative, egotistical chauvinist and will mess over anyone he feels is in his way, and Sonja isn’t doing anything to reel him in. Look out Brandy!

4. ANGIE says:

BRANY NEEDS TO STEP THE HELL OFF RAY J’S BACK…. HE’S A GROWN @$+%%`&`$`!_@_# MAN… DAM GIRL… U R THE BIGEST HATTER EVER… I UNDERSTAND U FILL LEFT OUT BUT THE TRUTH IS… RAY IS HOT… AND UR NOT….

5. ANGIE says:

BRANY NEEDS TO STEP THE HELL OFF RAY J’S BACK…. HE’S A GROWN _`)@(^@(%^*!@*& MAN… DAM GIRL… U R THE BIGEST HATTER EVER… I UNDERSTAND U FILL LEFT OUT BUT THE TRUTH IS… RAY IS HOT… AND UR NOT…. U THINK UR HELPIN HIM…. BUT UR NOT… UR MAKIN THING’S WORST…. BE LIKE UR MOM… AND LET HIM GROW…… AND IF HE IS DOIN WRONG … IT WILL B OK… BECAUSE HE WILL LEARN…. RAY … I LUV UR WORK… U R A BOMB _`)@(^@(%^*!@*& SOON AND BROTHER… U WILL PROSPER…. UR SISTER IS HATTIN … SAD TO SAY… BUT IT IS WAT IT IS…. UR DOIN UR BEST TO HELP EVERY ONEY … UR FAMILY AND FRIENDS…. IT’S TIME FOR RAY TO DO RAY…. GOOD LUCK MAN…

6. ANGIE says:

BRANDY U THINK UR HELPIN HIM…. BUT UR NOT… UR MAKIN THING’S WORST…. BE LIKE UR MOM… AND LET HIM GROW…… AND IF HE IS DOIN WRONG … IT WILL B OK… BECAUSE HE WILL LEARN…. RAY … I LUV UR WORK… U R A BOMB &_~^%@^%+!#~)!% SOON AND BROTHER… U WILL PROSPER…. UR SISTER IS HATTIN … SAD TO SAY… BUT IT IS WAT IT IS…. UR DOIN UR BEST TO HELP EVERY ONEY … UR FAMILY AND FRIENDS…. IT’S TIME FOR RAY TO DO RAY…. GOOD LUCK MAN… WE ALL SUPORT U…..

7. STUDDISH says:

BRANDY U THINK UR HELPIN HIM…. BUT UR NOT… UR MAKIN THING’S WORST…. BE LIKE UR MOM… AND LET HIM GROW…… AND IF HE IS DOIN WRONG … IT WILL B OK… BECAUSE HE WILL LEARN…. RAY … I LUV UR WORK… U R A BOMB %$`^@#$!$@~+^+^ SOON AND BROTHER… U WILL PROSPER…. UR SISTER IS HATTIN … SAD TO SAY… BUT IT IS WAT IT IS…. UR DOIN UR BEST TO HELP EVERY ONEY … UR FAMILY AND FRIENDS…. IT’S TIME FOR RAY TO DO RAY…. GOOD LUCK MAN…

8. mimi says:

i think Brandy just feel like protecting her bro from what hapened to her but its normal since she want the best for him.and since they talked it out its cool.people stop making issues btn family.they love each other

9. SHame says:

Brandy, I know you want success, but please don’t block Ray J’s in the process. Thanks.

10. Malisa says:

Yesterday’s episode to me again was very direspectful again on Ray J’s part. I really don’t like the way he is coming off on the show. He has gotten very full of his self since he started in his own show For The Love of Ray J. To me he comes off as a person who is very self centered and someone who thinks he’s better than his sister and everyone else around him. I used to really like Ray J before his own show and after For The Love of Ray J but now I don’t care for the person he has become. He allowed Rodney to direspect Brandy as well as his mother and to me that makes him a weak person as well as a weak man. You only have one mother and one family in this world and you should never allow anyone or anything to come between that love!!! Please get off your high horse Ray J before you loose the one thing that should matter to you and that is your family. Blood is always thicker than water and family will always have your back and look out for what is best for you. They only want what’s best for you because they love you and they have nothing to gain by looking out for your best interest. You need to allow God and JESUS in your life so they can help direct and guide you on the right path.

11. Netta says:

Brandy listen to Tyrese and try out Collabo57 (Baton Rouge)on youtube. He is a talented musician, song writer, and producer he needs a break and you need some hits. You have the best voice out there and with the best producer you will be on top again.

12. nvjack says:

Hey rayj how about taking your verbal skills “To the next level” and stop saying “I’m gonna take it to the next level” all the time!Noboby would even know your name without your sister. your chart success or lack of it, shows that.

13. Kosen Rufu says:

I understand the bond and protective nature between siblings but Brandy is completely out of line. She was unprofessional and embarrassing. How she spoke to Ray and Rodney was disrespectful. She could have done things in a better manner and chose a more appropriate time to discuss her concerns with Ray. Whatever happened between she and Rodney had no baring on his relationship with Ray.
    Furthermore, she need to forgive and release those issues. Move on, let it go.

My advice: Ray, going forward I would seriously contemplate whether or not to include Brandy in your meetings if she can not use better judgement. She appears to lack emotional intelligence in critical matters. Executives and producers DO NOT want those issues. They don’t want to deal with artist’s personal drama .

Brandy, what’s going on with you!!!! I am cheering you on and hoping you get it together. Please review these shows…Do you really like what you see when you watch yourself?
    Read: The Four Agreements, The Alchemist….

14. azizi says:

I think Brandy is going thru some stuff and is jealous of RJ’s success. She was out of line coming at darkchild like she did. I find her to be arrogant and conceited. Sure Brandy can sing, but basically, there are other singers who are probably much more pleasant for producers to work with. If brandy doesn’t slow her role,she’s going to end up being a has been. I don’t like her attitude and she needs to chill out and stop being so conceited. She’s talented but her personality is going to be the death of her. She needs to think before she speaks. As for rapping she should really forget about that. I think that would be a wrap for her career. She’s no Missy Elliot. So she should stay in her lane.

15. Donna says:

Brandy, it’s Ray’s time to shine. You had your success. Back off.

16. Donna says:

Brandy, stop being jealous ! did Ray demand that he be in the studio when YOU were working with Darkchild ?! I don’t think so. You are so wrong.

17. Not a fan of Ray J says:

BRANDY, I THINK YOU ARE VERY TALENTED, however it seems to me you have issues. I can not understand why you think you are taking a back seat to Ray, therefore your supposed wanting to protect him. Let him do his thing, his big ego will do him in one day.
    My advice to you Brandy…get some therapy, branch out on your own, you will be as succesful as you have been when you started your career but I believe you have a lot of unfinished business related to your Mother and brother.
    You are a 31 yr old woman, break free from your disfunctional family. It will do you good.
    You are awesome……..and have a huge heart.

18. Traci says:

First of all Brandy, I used to be a fan of urs but since this show I have really changed how I feel about you. You are so desperate acting!!! it’s sickening…from the whole “FLO” situation, to the darkchild situation and everything else.. FLO clearly was just not that into you cause there are plenty of artist who won’t allow business to interfere with “true love”. I hate to say it but your career has been over for a longtime you were a chld superstar nothing more. The reason this show is popular is because of Ray J He is now the force that is keeping your family in the limelight. Now back to this episode you were completely disrespectful to Rodney.. You act like you have an ear for whats hot your last album was a flop and it wasn’t because of Rodney. You had control over your project as well so quit blaming others for your issues. You need couseling because your trying to act like you have it all together and you don’t your lonely and it shows. Please don’t think I am hatin because I am not I am just letting you know what you look like on T.V you are now wack I think you thought this show would put u back on the platue like MONICA but she is way more humble and not drama filled and knows what the people want. You never seen her trying to interfere with anyones career and she has mad family that is invovled in the industry you just need to fall back and find urself because you are lost. Good luck on ur career and future endeavors.

19. Ron diesel says:

I can understand Brandy wants to help Ray J, but she needs to step back a little and let her brother do his thang.. From what am watchin he put his career on the line so what ever happens he learns from that mistake, we seen what he been doing, lately making songs and put short mack on the albums but was told to take it off because they needed somebody who already out, can’t blame them. Brandy needs to worry about her thang because i mean she wants to rap thats kind of you know risky u know and dont even know if fans are going to buy her CD when she makes one…also i think she knows her brother’s voice like she said and dont want to come across where CD made and it comes out and maybe like 2 songs is hot and the rest of 13 songs wack that can happen you know,lol

20. Lola D says:

The whole brother sister love thing…we are too old for all that…its fifth grade waaack! I have two brothers I think all that love you -love you- love you, all day is why they’re both single…what woman or man wants to compete with that incestuous relationship. Love each other, yes…but the relationship needs to mature and evolve…relax, back off. Jesus Christ!

21. surge says:

I am 110% with brandy. It is all coming from a good place! i love u b!

22. quiltbevart says:

Did Brandy have a child?

23. toolegit says:

sonya is sooo tiresome. why does she feel the need to keep stressing “all she does for the family”? no one wants to hear this this &%($)+%^~+^!(&)) i love for black families to remain strong and together. but she makes me wanna tell willie senior to leave her dumb overbearing ^)$+@@!@@$@~%)@ she needs to fall back! if ur so valuable, people already know and u do not have to keep beating a dead damned horse!! she is ridiculous! she makes black women look bad and unreasonably demanding.

24. so gone says:

ray j is obviously a great person. brandy makes herself look absolutely horrid. someone needs to let her know, she is not cool. ray j makes himself appear that he is on everyone’s side and wants what best for everyone. brandy, however, makes herself look like a desperate hater.

25. CeCe says:

Brandy and Ray J have always worked with Rodney Jerkins since the begining of their careers. I do feel like Rodney did mess over Brandy. Rodney should have been a shame to even put his name on that project. That Human album was not good at all. What was Rodney thinking? I do think Rodney is a really good producer. He would be somebody I would like to work with if I was in the music industry. He have produced some good records for Brandy in the past, but I just do not know what happen this time.

26. Alyeh Gillum says:

I certainly feel that brandy should worry about herself and not her brother. I understand the level of love she has for her brother but he’s a grown man. it’s his decision to make any decisions regarding his career. Whatever issues brandy has with rodney, she needs to deal with that on her own terms. They built the business together therefore brandy needs to stop dwelling on the past and support her brother.

27. LaTiTi says:

Evonne, you are the most articulate and seemingly intelligent person on here to post. Seriously; I agree 100% about Ray J- he’s VERY unappreciative and how quickly he has forgotten that if it wasn’t for Brandy, where would he AND his FAMILY be, as far as financially and fame? I mean, come on Angie. Let’s be real.

28. LaTiTi says:

Right on MALISA and nvjack! How is it that these insane Ray J fans are able to put on their rose-colored glasses and totally ignore his cocky behavior?

29. LaTiTi says:

HELLO PEOPLE!!! Have you forgotten that this is TELEVISION? There IS a thing called Editors, and these people EDIT things to make them more DRAMATIC to you and me! Who knows what was taken out, added in, or spliced together to make us watch what would have otherwise been a less interesting episode? And it works! Look at us chatting away about it now! Lol!

30. Quiin says:

After watching this episode for the 3rd time I can completely understand where Brandy was coming from, and Rodney.

What I find humorous is that Rodney was seeking the approval of Mrs. Norwood first. And came out and ask “So what you think of that Sonya”

Sonya’s response was very straightforward that she’d still be looking out for Ray J but she’s letting him do his own thing, all Brandy did was re-iterate her mom’s point but more vocal and verbally notice that she only became emotional because it seemed like she wasn’t being heard so she started to get loud.

Hoping for Season 2′s Family Business to turn out better and that Brandy’s CD blows her previous one completely out of the water.

31. Legalsounds says:

I can see that you are an expert in this area. I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.