Gloria Govan: Wedding’s Off (For Now) But Matt And I Are Still On

gloria_wedding

Last week, a rumor circulated that Basketball WivesGloria Govan and her fiancé, Matt Barnes, had called off their wedding just weeks before it was supposed to take place. We reached out to Gloria for a comment and she didn’t get back to us…until now. Gloria tells us that while the wedding has been “postponed,” she and Matt remained committed to each other as they prepare to move from Orlando to Los Angeles (last month, Matt signed with the Lakers). “I’m sure to a lot of people’s dismay, this is nothing super dramatic. There was no infidelity involved, no window-smashing, nothing of the sort,” she tells us.

Below is a full transcription of our chat about her marital situation, including confirmation that they informed their families and friends of the postponement via text, why it took her over a week to respond to the report and why she’s possibly rejoining Basketball Wives for a second season, despite previously saying she wouldn’t…

Is the wedding off?

The wedding has been postponed. We haven’t canceled anything, we just pushed it back a little bit. Matt and I are together and still committed and dedicated to working on our relationship, we just don’t feel like marriage or a wedding should be rushed into or forced upon by outside sources. We feel like it’s the right thing to do for our family. I know there are crazy rumors going around, but I’m sure to a lot of people’s dismay, this is nothing super dramatic. There was no infidelity involved, no window-smashing, nothing of the sort. We both just kind of realized that maybe we should take a little more time to work on our relationship and then try to work on it.

At least with me, you’ve always acknowledged that your relationship isn’t perfect.

Exactly. I don’t know if a lot of people understood that about me. A lot of people are saying, “I told you so.” There’s nothing they told me so about. I’ve always contended that Matt and I are not close to perfect – never have been, never will be. Like any relationship, we work on it everyday. That’s kind of it. We felt like things were a little rushed or maybe too influenced by society to make it official, but we’re going to do it when we’re ready. I think that’s what threw people off.

If it wasn’t infidelity or window-smashing, is there anything you can point to that made you come to this decision?

Nothing in particular. A lot of our friends are getting married this year, tons of our friends got married last year and a few couples are, unfortunately, getting divorced this year. I think that made us step back to figure out why we’re doing this, if we’re really ready for it. Like I said, we’re both committed and dedicated to this relationship, so we didn’t feel the need to sign a piece of paper right now. But there are tons of factors that contributed, like the stress and where we were going, this being the off-season, not being sure where we’re headed, what we’re going to do. There were also little stresses that probably threw us off a little bit, on top of planning a wedding, which is a lot of stress.

Have the day-to-day functions of your relationship with Matt changed since your decision to postpone the wedding?

Oh yeah. This hasn’t affected our relationship in a negative way, by any means. We still are together, we still hang out, we still have the boys. They’re in school, so we’re using that time to work on each other and just hang out. We’re taking the time to just chill. We’re good. We’re going to L.A. We’re looking at places now. We have to find something that’s family-oriented, but close to facilities. Our focus has shifted from a wedding to just establishing a new life in a new area on a new team. That’s what’s important for our family now.

Did Matt alert his groomsmen to this news via text message?

Yeah. We both did. He told his family and I told mine. With modern-day technology or BBM, we were just letting people know what was going on. There wasn’t a negative connotation to that, it was the quickest way to tell people, because the invitations had just gone out. We wanted to tell people, “Even though you just got an invitation two days ago, we wanted to postpone things.” All of our family and friends were very supportive and very understanding. They gave us our privacy. They weren’t hounding us or anything like that.

It was interesting that Matt was quiet about it on his Twitter, and that the original blog post about the wedding included him asking that people respect his privacy. It seemed like something was up.

Obviously, when you cancel something so close to its date, people are going to start coming up with questions and rumors. We had both asked our families and friends to back off a little bit. We told them we knew what we were doing and that they should trust that it was what’s best for our family. I could see where people misconstrued that, but it was just to let people know that we knew what they were doing and that they shouldn’t call, email or text us like, “Hey! What’s going on?”

Did you take a while to get back to me for the same reason?

Yeah. Before we released stuff, we wanted to let everything settle and wrap our heads around things. We’re going to a wedding this weekend, so we’re kind of preparing ourselves to be bombarded. We just weren’t in a hurry to answer anybody’s questions or address any rumors.

Were you embarrassed over having to postpone the wedding?

It was a little embarrassing. We knew our focus was shifting from marriage to reestablishing a life in a different city, in a different state. I think we should have let people know a little more ahead of time. But I wasn’t humiliated. This was a mutual decision: no rush, we’re still together, this is no big deal.

Do you have your sights set on another date?

We’re thinking next summer, but you never know. It might not be as big as we’d planned. Our ideas have shifted. We could go and run off during all-star break. You never know.

Is there anything else out there that you wanted to counter?

Not really. I don’t spend a lot of time on blogs, looking myself up. The only reason I know about rumors is that a lot of people started emailing and texting us links. No rumor is important enough for me to address. Rumors are just that: rumors. Matt and I know what’s going on. Our immediate family and people that love us know what’s going on. That’s what’s important.

Gloria Tells Us Why She Skipped the Basketball Wives Reunion
The Celebreality Interview – Gloria Govan
Basketball Wives show page
Basketball Wives videos and extras

1. Nisy says:

BS! You already have two children together but there is no rush to get married.

2. Mia says:

Still don’t care for her…

3. leah says:

Yeah right!! i smell a rat. I’m not buying this at all, something is definitely up.

4. Amanda says:

riiiiiggght….Uh huh. Obviously they postponed it because something happened other wise they wouldn’t have anything to “work” on. And no one just “postpones” a wedding a few weeks before the date “just because”. There’s usually a reason. Otherwise the thing would have been put on hold a long time ago. And if she thinks that rumors are never important to be addressed then what is she doing in this interview?

5. V$ says:

Do you, if you feel that ur not ready then ur not ready _*_`(`#+(&*&&)*` what everybody else is saying, they don live ur life!

6. Rira says:

Matt will nerver cheat on me. Matt welcome to the LAKERS. Well honey groppis are in force in LA.

Good luck

7. Ann says:

It seems odd that a new wedding date was not given. The wedding date was scheduled in between basketball seasons so even with a move it should have not been that inconvenient. I am sure Matt’s move to a new team was negotiated enough in advance where they should not have had to cancel the wedding via text two days after sending out invitations. The developments seem so ironic after Gloria’s rants to Royce that she would never be the wife of a basketball player and would only be a twitter crazed cheerleader. Well, no one in the cast was a wife of an active NBA player. The series should be moved to Los Angeles. Maybe some actual basketball wives would be willing to join the cast. The Miami location didn’t add anything extra to the series. Evelyn even resorted to a weekend trip to Los Angeles to ~#*)()&~(#+@#)+ ault a real basketball wife. Evelyn, Suzie, and Jennifer should be replaced for some more interesting story lines.
    Congratulations to Matt on the move. That’s the way to answer the comment on the reunion show Matt Who? by Shaunie. Even Shaq couldn’t negotiate a return to the Los Angeles Lakers.

8. Candybyte says:

Matt will continue to sit on the bench as always!!!

9. JUJU says:

V$ I agree with you live ur life girl, nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors. Let the haters hate you owe them no explanation!

10. Quan'Naysha says:

She was talkinq about all the other basketball ex wives. Matt probably cheated on her so she called the weddinq off. That is exactlly wat she get.

11. Meek says:

GLORIA & MATT HAS 2 KIDS AND WEDDING POSTPONED??? NEVER SAY YOUR MAN WILL NEVER CHEAT CAUSE YOU ARE NOT AROUND THEM 24/7 SO YOU DON’T KNOW…THEN HE’S GOING LOS ANGELES LAKERS…WATCH OUT GLORIA HERE COMES THE GROUPIES!!!!!

12. GrowUP says:

It could be that they’ve had some anxiety about marriage and all it entails from day one, and the postponement of the wedding has been a long time coming. Either way, you have to respect a couple that takes time to strengthen their relationship before rushing into to a binding commitment.

Regardless of how the other Basketball Wives characters feel about her, Gloria’s maturity has always been her most admirable quality. I respect that she doesn’t allow herself to be so easily influenced by others, but bases her actions on what she feels is right for her and her family. I also like that she is able to set boundaries. She knows what people want (gossip about a failed relationship) and she refuses to give it to them. Go Gloria!

13. cherry says:

She will be next on the dumped athelete baby momma list .He still hasn’t married you, say what!!! I thought you were married…Hum..Loser!!

14. Shay says:

I think its funny how on the show she says she has a good man and he doesn’t cheat like some guys, but all Matt’s team mates know he’s a liar and a cheater. I can’t wait until one of his groupies comes out and tell of their affair.

15. Penny...Balto.,Md says:

Well, it sounds good and makes sense, but i don’t believe a word of it…The NBA is putting pressure on there players about there wives being part of Basketball Wives Show, they want no connection with the show, control ur wife or girlfriend, or ur outta here !!! Now just how important do she think the game is to him, he’ll leave her before he leave the game.

16. bushidoblade says:

Oh, please! She was acting high and mighty during the season and we all know that after 2 kids that they aren’t getting married…..there is something wrong with her story.

17. nana says:

trut me gloria, ur time will come.u thought u were embarrasin ur own friends on tv. u created all of dis,now every soul out der has their mouth and ears opened bcus of the way u carried urself on de show. u’re evil girl,u still talk trash about ur friends even though ur weddin is called off.u better stop it cus,we know who u are referin to about smashin stuff and all dat.everythin u said and still sayin will come back and eat u up.

18. BLACK BARBEE says:

THIS SHOW SHOULD BE CALLED BASKETBALL BABY MOMMAS
    SHE THOUGHT ROYCE WAS A PUNK UNTIL SHE WHOOPED UP ON HER LOL!

19. yona says:

its kinda funny,cos watching basket ball wives,she acted like liitle miss perfect,and looked down on some of the other girls, so whatever,who cares.but from the story,she sounds like someone blabbing.truth is ,its obviusly come to an end.they told u so.

20. Ravenv says:

Well good luck on whatever they decide to do.

21. jeannie says:

Well…. imma say this, first off.. that cheerleading skank did’nt beat you when she thought she can whoop you.. I thought that was the funniest.. Girl, they are just tooooo jealous of you and your doing what you need to do for you, nothing else matter. there will always be haters. How can we be popular with out them. I’m all for you returning to the show and seeing more of you and less of them. Your the only one that has real class. When they hate on you it’s only cause they wanna be you.. By the way the cheerleader’s are number one groupie’s and she aint cute..I guess ugly people do have a shot on life…luv ya gloria

22. Blkqwn7 says:

Well it’s not a surprise to any of us, I hope, after watching season one of “The Basketball Wives.” Gloria, seemed to be the only one of the women who were in denial. These women have the physical looks of models yet the men are so sought after by many women that it is hard for them to remain true and monogamous to one woman. I would never date a sport pro of any type, unless a damn contract was written up that I get LOTS of money, he must use a condom and pay me if I rarely have sex with him, and we would definitely have to reside in a home so big that I would never see him. Yes, it would solely be for the money! I am not into sport driven ^^~@_!+*!$`~&_`^@ s who can’t keep it zipped!However, under those terms I just mentioned then I would tolerate him. LOL

23. MAG says:

She is a trip!!!!Anyway guys check out my video on youtube keyword magelliott1. MUST SEE!!!

24. what evea makes u sleep @nigh says:

This chick is in serious denial. First of all if you all were so “committed” to a relationship you all shouldn’t have taken y’wal trailer park a@@es on a television show. The problem with young people today is that they are willing to sacrifice the sanctity of their “relationships” for money and fame. You can look at MB and tell he is a cheat. And just like all of the other women on the show that she talked about, she is staying with MB’s cheating a##. Get over yourself girl!

25. jasmin says:

All u r haters and jst cuz u got kids dont mean that ur all there You all shouldend be talking and saying hes a cheater well evry man goes to the mall club bar and places wer there r girls all over them so tell now is ur man nt cheating thats wt i though same thing wt u said about him! Jst put ur self in some one else shoes before u coment juge her!!!!!!!!!!!

26. TASHA says:

NOW I WATCHED THE SHOW AND I THINK THAT GLORIA IS NOTHING LIKE THE OTHER GIRLS. THEY MAY LOOK GOOD BUT THEY ARE HOLDING ON TO THE PAST. ALL THEY WANT TO TALK ABOUT IS A MAN CHEATING. IM 34 AND I HAVE NOT MET A MAN THAT DID NOT CHEAT THEY SAY IST SOME OUT THERE BUT THE REALITY IS THE FLESH IS VERY TEMPTING AND WOMEN ARE SUDUCTIVE. YEAH WE GET WHAT WE WANT SOME HOW SOME WAY IF ITS JUST TO SAY I MESSED WITH SO AND SO. NOW DOES THAT REALLY MAKE YOU BETTER. HELL NO. AND IF YOUR MAN DOES CHEAT YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE, IS IT WORTH GIVING UP EVERYTHING OVER A GOLD DIGGING HOOCHIE. NOW IM NOT SAYING LET IT SLIDE OR EVEN LET HIM GET AWAY WITH IT, JUST LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE. JUST THINK THE OTHER WOMAN WILL ALWAYS BE A SECRETE BUT THE MAIN WOMAN WILL ALWAYS BE IN THE SPOTLITE. NOW OTHER WOMAN THINK ABOUT HOW YOU FEEL WHEN YOU CANT GO OUT IN PUBLIC WITH HIM????? BUT YOU SEE HIM AND THE MAIN ON THE COVER OF THE HOTTEST MAGAZINE. HA HA WHAT DID YOU DO IT FOR MONEY SHOES CLOTHES AND A GOOD NUT IF THAT??? GIRL BOO GET YOURSELF TOGETHER. ON THAT NOTE GLORIA I LIKE YOU AND YOUR STYLE AND YOUR FAMILY IS BEAUTIFUL. AND GIRL I KNOW THAT LIFE AINT PERFECT AND IN RELATIONSHIPS THERE ARE UPS AND DOWNS JUST KNOW THAT EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON AND YOU MAY NOT KNOW IT NOW BUT IT WILL COME TO YOU AT THE RIGHT TIME. IF YOU FEEL YOU AND HIM ARE NOT READY FOR WHAT EVER REASON THEN SO BE IT. DO YALL NOT THEM THEY JUST WANT SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT. IF ITS MENT TO BE IT WILL BE. AND MATT I LOVE HOW YOU TOLD THE GIRLS NOT CURRUPT GLORIA LMAO. WITH THEY HATIN TAILS YOU CAN SEE IT ALL OVER THEIR FACE, THE ONE UGLY ONE NEEDS TO GET HER HEAD OUT OF THE CLOUDS AND MAYBE PUT IT IN HER HUSBANDS LAP THEN MAYBE HE WOULD STOP CHEATING ON HER. SHE IS FAKER THAN A 28 DOLLAR BILL. MAN IF I WAS TO EVER GET MARRIED TO A BALL PLAYER I WOULD NOT WANT TO BE AROUND THEM, THEY WOULD NOT LIKE ME, MY MOUTH IS TOO BAD. IM JUST KEEPING IT REAL. THEY DONT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THAT. I MAY NOT BE RICH OR EVEN CLOSE TO IT, BUT I KNOW MY PERSONALITY AND MY SWAGGER IS. IF I EVER DO HAVE A CHANCE TO BE RICH IM NOT GONNA CHANGE NOT FOR NO ONE. OHHHH SNAP I WAS JUST THINKING, WHO IN THE HELL DOES THAT OCHOCINCO DUDE THINK HE IS, WHAT REALLY THINK HE IS, ARE YOU SERIOUS CHAW PLEASE, NOW HE IS CUTE AND ALL BUT TO COMPETE ON TV FOR A MAN WHY CUZ HE HAS MONEY. LMAO SMDH. AT THESE LADIES YALL TOO FUNNY. IF HE WAS TO GET FIRED FROM THE NFL YALL WOULD NOT BE THERE. WHAT LOOKS GOOD AINT ALWAYS GOOD TILL THE END. IF YOU LIKE IT THEN I LOVE IT DO YOU OCHO. LAST BUT NOT LEAST…. WE ALL ARE HUMAN AND ARE CREATED EQUAL, MONEY IS POWER BUT IS IT HAPPINESS, YES FOR MATERIALS. I LOOK AT CUPLES THAT ARE POOR AND THEY SEEM TO ME TO BE THE HAPPIEST CUPLES IN THE WORLD, WHEN YOU SEE A FAMILY WALKING HOME FROM THE GROCERY STORE, THE MAN HAS BAGS, THE KIDS TOO AND THE WOMAN IS PUSHING THE STROLER WITH THE BABY AND SOME OF THE BAGS ON IT, IN 90 DEGREE WEATHER OR EVEN WITH SNOW ON THE GROUND, THATS REAL LOVE, IT MAKES ME SMILE AS IM DRIVING BY. OR BETTER YET IF YOU GOT TO CATCH THE BUS TO WORK AND WHEN YOU MAKE IT TO YOUR LAST STOP YOUR MAN IS AT THE STOP WITH THE KIDS WAITING TO WALK YOU HOME AND ITS FOUR IN THE AFTERNOON, HE COULD HAVE STAYED HOME WITH THE KIDS TILL YOU GOT THERE BUT NO HE THERE AT THE BUS STOP WAITING ON HIS WOMAN. THATS REAL LOVE. AND THEN HE GOES HOME AND GETS READY FOR WORK. AWWWW THERE IS LOVE IN THE HEART OF THE GHETTO. THEY MAY HAVE NOTHING AS FAR AS MATERIAL THINGS BUT THEY HAVE EACH OTHER AND THATS PRICE LESS

27. Tee says:

Karma is something else. Why get married? Just keep having kids .. just MAYBE .. one day, he’ll marry .. the some other chic after you’ve had several more children. It’s funny Gloria how you can critize and/or pass judgement on other people’s lives but can’t manage your own. Matt is holdin’ out for Ms New Booty in L.A! You’re the one who looks foolish on television .. not the so called haters!

28. Alex says:

Gloria, based on what I have seen on TV and your quotes in the press, you are not a nice person. The universe has a way of correcting everything. There is always someone cuter, tighter, smarter. If he has not married you after having two of his children . . . not good.

29. Miss Toy says:

I like Gloria more than the other “basketball wives” on the show. She’s really sticks to her guns about what she believes in! However, I can’t help but think about how tacky it was to announce that you’re canceling your wedding via BBM only two days after the invitations were sent!

30. Chinue X says:

After all Gloria’s smack talking and beougieness. I thought they were already married! Well as she told Royce: Gloria looks like “you will never be a basketball wive” as well.

31. yes says:

It sounds fishy but shes the one that lays in bed with him so it is her business. We cant judge people unless we know exactly whats going on. On the other hand she did have alot of things to say during last season and her relationship seemed to be going great. They are parents and hes there so thats all that matters that signature means alot especially when a man is so well established financially its scary to loose half during a divorce. Whatever works for them is what matters good luck an hope that you can find yourselves during this year and work on your relationship.

32. PecanRican says:

I think people do have a right to say I told you so. She states that she always has said there relationship isn’t perfect. To me she was always saying the opposite. She always said he would never cheat,(how do you know what he would do when you not there). All you can say is what you think. That’s why I never cared for her. She had this attitude towards the other ladies like her and her relationship was better. To me you are trying way to hard to hide something. Nobody just postpones a wedding a couple days after sending out invites for no reason. And you made the mistake of saying we are still together, theres no violence or cheating too many times. If there wasn’t a problem or concern you would not have had any interview to talk about “nothing”.

33. PecanRican says:

@Tasha
    To me it just says low self esteem. When you know your man cheating, but you stay and allow it just to be the “MAIN” one or just because he has some money. You must not have a whole lot of love for yourself. And something definitely has to be wrong with your head if you think it can’t happen to you. Me myself have never actually known or caught a man cheating on me while we were in a relationship, but I would definitely never say it couldn’t happen.

34. HotCaddyGirl says:

Gloria,

Wake up!! Matt will not marry you and everyone else seems to know why except you. Stop holding out for something that will never be. He’s gone upside your head more times than we all know, but you are staying with him for so-called love and money. It is not worth it! You are young and have your whole life in front of you. Drop the loser and get you a man who will give you the respect you deserve.

35. HotCaddyGirl says:

PLEASE!! That man will not marry her ass. Gloria is delusional. She knows why he will not marry her, but she tries to put on a show in front of everyone like they are the perfect family. People can see through her fakeness. And he has gone upside her damn head too???!! She obviously has low self esteem and feels that she can’t do any better than him. Sad!

36. xNFLer Wife says:

It’s clear that Matt will take care of his children. He has these two only, right? But didn’t Beyonce tell you, if he wanted it, he’d put a ring on it. Matt didn’t. That’s sad. I actually feel sorry for Gloria, because she’s trying to do what it takes, but the final whistle is on Matt’s shoulders and he saying, no. Gloria should move on and see if he follows. The set him free theory. Either way this life is fleeting, savor it.

37. belle says:

Honey, that man will not marry you cuz if he wanted to, he would have by now; so, Shaunie just trashed you like the others on national TV. Going to LA, well, you are really in for a wake up call; those women are going for Matt (don’t know why) like piranhas in the ocean. Gloria, agree with his parents, you are a Gold Digger just like your sister. Now go away with a little dignity cuz at least you have a free ride for the next 18 yrs are so! Royce has much more class than you will ever have.Your comment to her on one of the shows that we (referring to the girls) were wives and not Royce!!!! News Flash!!! you are no wife either!!!

38. There are many capabilities coupled with viewpoints who are important for getting into along with making a online business. Resistance just isn’t at least one!

39. 648033 says:

What a lovely day for a 648033! SCK was here

40. 1101018 says:

What a lovely day for a 1101018! SCK was here

41. 195404 says:

What a lovely day for a 195404! SCK was here

42. 2101691 says:

What a lovely day for a 2101691! SCK was here

43. Lisa says:

CANT stand this chic… cant wait for her 10mins to expire and he drops her like the rat she is…. cant stand people who act perfect!