The debut episode of Lala’s Full Court Wedding helps answer a fundamental question about La La’s Full Court Wedding exactly what kind of hi-jinx can a rich and famous couple get into when planning their wedding? Seriously, what? Never mind that La La Vazquez and Carmelo Anthony have been together for seven years, engaged for five, and already share a home and an adorable 3-year-old son named Kiyan (so cold feet is not an issue). They’ve also hired celebrity wedding planner Mindy Weiss to handle all the details. La La already has the dress, the cake, and the design picked out as well. But, it turns out, lots of problems still exist:
– They’re sent out over 210 invitations, which means they expect over 400 guests. That’s over a 100 more than they planned for. Some of the guests include Kelly Rowland, Kim Kardashian, Ciara, Serena Williams, Trina, and Ludacris. So it’s hard to cut anyone out. Going 25 percent over budget is expensive, even when you’ve got the budget of an NBA star and a television personality.
– La La can’t decide which parent will walk her down the aisle. Her parents were divorced when she was young, so her mom raised her, while she maintained a close relationship with her father. Tradition says her father should walk her down the aisle, but, as her mom says, it’s not exactly fair that he gets “all the glory” at the wedding. Plus, La La’s mother has come for a long visit and to help plan the last-minute details, so she has lots of time to work the mom angle. Nontraditional!
– Speaking of nontraditional: Carmelo has been very laid-back about the wedding plans (his nickname is Mellow, so, of course), but he had two requests. He wanted 1) red velvet cake 2) a wedding band. La La thinks wedding bands are tacky and old fashioned, and this is not an old-fashioned wedding. Obviously.
– Seven years as a couple still doesn’t equal a marriage. La La has lunch with her friend Tyrese, who asks her a question that she hasn’t heard yet: “Are you ready to be a wife?” She says she is, but, he asks why she doesn’t hang out with married women. She doesn’t have an answer, but I do: who wants to hang out with married women when you can hang out with Tyrese?
– Once you have the dress, you’re set. Until you find a dress you like more. As La La mentioned multiple times this episode, she had a custom-made, Vera Wang dress ordered and on its way to the house. But when her mom came to visit, she wanted to do the whole dress-trying-on ritual with her mom. It was just supposed to be for show, until she came across a pretty pink dress that she liked as much as, if not more, than her custom dress. Her custom, non-returnable, $8,000 dress.
Check out this week’s La La’s Full Court Wedding at its video page, and screen shots from this week’s episode below.