Is My Big Friggin’ Wedding Bad For Italians?

friggin_controversey

This week, the TV-watching watchdogs at UNICO, a New Jersey-based Italian-American group, decried VH1′s My Big Friggin’ Wedding. Not only did this grab attention from CNN and the AP among major outlets, it put the fledgling show among such elite UNICO targets/cultural phenomena as The Sopranos and The Jersey Shore. So, uh, thanks, UNICO? UNICO charged Friggin’ with being a “big racist stereotype of Italian-Americans” (Italian’s a race?) and says the show represents the “worst bunch of bad-acting, insipid individuals portraying themselves as trashy, drunken, low-class, bimbos and buffoons.” But see, that’s more of a reality TV problem than an Italian one (if you want to call it a problem at all!). And, in fact, UNICO’s implication of Italian culture in this complaint seems more prejudicial than anything the show has to offer, given that almost half of the 10 principal characters are not Italian. Joey and Sandra are, so are Megin and Johnny, Matt is, and Tammie‘s half Italian, half-Greek. The rest of them — Danny, Amanda, Alyssa and Tyler — are not.

So, what’s the deal? Do a few drunken Italians spoil the bunch, or is My Big Friggin’ Wedding an equal-opportunity portrayal of UNICO’s gripes? Is UNICO justified in calling on VH1 to pull the plug on the show? Does any of this offend you? We’re extremely interested in viewers’ thoughts on the matter. Sound off in the comments below. [AP/nj.com]

1. sogeorge says:

Don’t pull it off the frigging air! What will i watch then? Boooooo!

2. SOPHIA says:

DONT PULL THE PLUG, THE SHOW IS FUNNY AND ENTERTAINING…UNICO NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ELSE BETTER WITH THEIR TIME. ANY ITALIAN WHO GETS OFFENDED BY WATCHING THIS SHOW IS PATHETIC. ITS NOT CALLED MY BIG FRIGGIN ITALIAN WEDDING. I THINK THE WHOLE ISSUE IS RIDICULOUS AND NEEDS TO BE IGNORED

3. jane sommers says:

I am italian come from a big family etc. I dont care about the italian talk but I do care about this girl who is going to marry joey he looks like he could deck that girl in a heart beat just looks the type and the way he acts. we will see but I hope not.

4. clmortenson says:

This is not about Italian culture as much as it is about the culture of middle-class/working-class New Jersey. You could probably have gone to any house in the neighborhoods where these people live and they would be interchangable. To me it is entertaining, but I’m glad I have different values, and I feel rather sorry for them. They all seem so empty and hung up on very superficial things. They also seem to think it’s ok to get drunk, swear, and talk about sex in front of children. Sad

5. Olivv says:

I think something like this is more harmful than the show. This man is entitled to his opinion, but does he have to attack the cast members? Insinuating that a show featuring people who are Italian can possibly be seen as a representation of Italians is ridiculous. Nobody thinks that all Italians are like this… Him asking for it to be canceled is also sending across a bad message. He’s basically saying that we should only broadcast a certain type of “acceptable” Italian people, and that we should censor people out there that are like this, just because he wants to portray a certain image. Whether he likes it or not, there will always be people like this, and they make good tv… it’s that simple. Nobody cares that he wants to portray a cute cookie-cutter image for italian people, and that alone is a lot more superficial, shallow, and ridiculous than this show. He doesn’t have the power to get it canceled, so he should just shut his mouth.

6. Aly says:

It’s not that I’m offended, but I’m just SICK of these shows glorifying these people! I am an Italian girl (half) from Long Island, NY. And because of these shows, people who are not from this area will ASSUME that I am no different than these horrible human beings. They are giving us a bad name!

Tammie is actually from the same town where I grew up. I have known many people like her… They were made fun of in school because of how dumb they are! The thing is, everyone whos NOT like them, can’t stand everyone who is. And now they’re all over TV!? GET ME AWAY! (check out getoffourisland.com)

Yes I watched 1 episode and got sucked in, but also annoyed at the same time. Like a bad car accident, you just can’t look away.

Have you noticed all the Italians they mentioned are the crazy/annoying ones and all the non-Italians are a little more normal? Alyssa and Tyler are the most normal couple on the show! It’s their family and friends that are nuts! Danny is normal, other than his choice in spouse, and same thing with Amanda. Also in the NY/NJ area a lot of times you’ll see Hisuidos and Juidos as I like to call them- Hispanic and Jewish people that act like the Italian guidos. But mostly, they are Italian or part-Italian.

Most people from Manhattan, Long Island, and NJ hate the guidos and want them gone. They’re a big joke to us. They think they’re so great and that everyone is jealous of them, but they are the laughing stock of the metro area. However if you go to Brooklyn or Staten Island, they are everywhere! Hence, I avoid Brooklyn and Staten Island.

These shows just heighten their cocky, self-centered, delusional lifestyle and glorify the behavior that makes the rest of us who live around them want to punch them all in the face. They don’t realize when they go on these shows that the rest of the country is LAUGHING AT THEM.