Sneak Preview: VH1′s Top 40 Music Video Countdown Of 2010

top40sneak

What a year, right? As we get ready to put the finishing touches on the year that was, it’s time to look back at the music videos that define the year 2010. This weekend, the VH1 Top 20 Music Video Countdown will be a supersized edition that counts down the Top 40 music videos of the year. While we won’t reveal the final list until the show’s debut this Friday night, December 17, at 9pm ET/PT (see a complete list of showtimes here), we thought we’d get the conversation started today by revealing 35 of this year’s Top 40 videos in alphabetical order.

As you’ll notice, we left out the Top Five of this year’s countdown out of the list you’ll see below. If you have any guesses as to what videos we left off the list (as well as their order), please leave your choices and selections in the comments below. Also, if you’d like to leave your own personal lists in the comments below, we’d love that, too!

So, without further ado, here are 35 of VH1′s Top 40 Music Videos of this year (in alphabetical order, of course):

Adam Lambert“If I Had You”
B.O.B ft. Hayley Williams“Airplanes”
Bruno Mars- “Just the Way You Are”
Daughtry“September”
Christina Perri“Jar of Hearts”
Drake – “Find Your Love”
Eminem – “Not Afraid”
Eminem ft Rihanna – “Love the Way You Lie”
Jack Johnson“At or With Me”
Jason Derulo“In My Head”
Jay-Z & Alicia Keys“Empire State of Mind”
John Mayer“Heartbreak Warfare”
Katy Perry“Firework”
Ke$ha“Tik Tok”
Kid Rock“Born Free”
Kings of Leon“Radioactive”
Lady Antebellum- “Need You Now”
Lady Gaga ft Beyonce – “Telephone (Short Version)”
Linkin Park“Waiting for the End”
Maroon 5 – “Misery”
Michael Buble“Haven’t Meet You Yet”
Mike Posner“Cooler Than Me”
Mumford & Sons“Little Lion Man”
Muse“Resistance”
Paramore“The Only Exception”
Pink“Raise Your Glass”
Rihanna – “Only Girl in the World”
Sara Bareilles“King of Anything”
Sugarland – “Stuck Like Glue”
Taio Cruz ft. Ludacris – “Break Your Heart”
Taylor Swift“Mine”
Train“If It’s Love”
Travie McCoy ft. Bruno Mars“Billionaire”
Usher ft Pitbull“DJ Got Us Falling In Love”
Usher ft. Will.i.Am“OMG”

Don’t forget to tune in to see the final countdown this Friday night, December 17, at 9pm ET/PT. Be sure and leave your guesses about what the Top Five will be below!

1. Lane says:

They don’t even have baby i like it! and I know everyone hates him but they don’t even have Justin Beiber.

2. TheSpindleshay says:

I’m guessing Whataya Want From Me is in the Top 5. Sure belongs there!

3. Mark Graham says:

@Lane

Katy Perry’s “California Gurls” MIGHT be on there! There’s a (very good) chance that she’s one of the five we left out. You’ll have to tune in Friday to find out!

4. Maria says:

and what about 30 SECONDS TO MARS???/
    KING+QUEENS
    or
    CLOSER TO THE EDGE???

r u joking??

5. Lissy says:

I hope Adam Lambert’s Whataya Want From Me is in the top 5! That song was my jam for months, and now that the acoustic version is out on EP, it’s my fave all over again.

6. Mel says:

Gaga’s Bad Romance! And Adam Lambert’s Whataya Want From Me! And Katy Perry’s California Gurls!

7. KarenB says:

Hmm top 5? Whataya Want From Me,Bad Romance & California Girls in there? ;)

8. MJ2 says:

Adam Lambert’s Whataya Want From Me should be #1. I believe it was #1 on the Top 20 countdown FIVE times. That’s got to count for something. I also think Lady Gaga and Katy Perry will end up in the top 5. Not sure about the other two slots.

9. Michael says:

Um where is Love the way you Lie?… that was like the biggest song for a long time.

10. Zena says:

Whataya Want From Me is missing.

11. chrislovesaml says:

I agree with The Spindleshay! Everything Adam Lambert does is #1 with me. Can’t wait to see how Adam’s “If I Had You! video ranked! Also, loved Eminem’s Love the Way You Lie!

12. GlamRockGodUK says:

Some good videos/contenders on there but to top a fantastic year off I would love to see If I Had You by Adam Lambert get the accolade.

13. GlamRockGodUK says:

Obviously Whataya Want From has got to be on the top 5 I agree…it was taken down before it had chance to get into the Hall of Fame so it’s only fitting

14. CiCi says:

Whataya Want From Me from Adam Lambert should be on the list.

15. Timothy says:

Can the Black Eyed Peas and Christina Perri make it to the top 40 of 2010?

16. Glambert-Jo says:

YAY ADAM, the world is sitting up and taking notice!

17. Star says:

Hoping Adams’ “Whataya Want From Me” is on the top 5 list. :)

18. Charlie says:

1. Adam Lambert Whataya Want From Me? WHAT?!?!?
    2. Lady Gaga BAd Romance WHAT?!?!?
    3. Far East-Like a G6

19. Melissa Sutton says:

WHAT ABOUT JUSTIN BIEBER?!?!

20. Linda says:

Whataya Want from Me has to be in the Top 5-it was #1 on the countdown for 5 weeks

21. mszue says:

I would expect to see Gaga’s Bad Romance, K. Perry’s California Girls, Eminem/Rhianna Love the way you lie, Adam Lambert’s Whataya want from me, and Beiber’s Baby.

22. Dee Connell says:

I was impressed by the video Breathe by Ryan Star. The profound message in the song was accompanied not by the flash and glamour of the music industry but by several unemployed people looking for work – real people feeling the pain wrought by others and not in their control.

This is a work of art by Ryan Star.

23. mtnwomanbc says:

#3 Whataya Want From Me – Adam Lambert

#1 Bad Romance – Lady Gaga

24. Lilly says:

Kris Allen’s Live Like We’re Dying has to be in the top 20. That is an amazing song and video. It may not make the top 20, but Eminem’s Not Afraid was also one of the best videos of the year.

25. Karen says:

Really happy to see If I Had You by Adam Lambert on here. That was a great video. Hope to see his Whataya Want for Me in the top 5 for sure since his performance is Grammy Nominated and it seemed that video was on the Top 20 longer than IIHY. Really have enjoyed the Lambert videos ;D Also liked Bruno Mars and Muse ;)

26. karen says:

correction: Whataya Want FROM Me…sorry ’bout that. (typo)

27. SONYA says:

I really hope that Adam Lamberts “Wataya Want From Me” is in the top 5, I love that song so much, that when it was played on vh1 all those months I would wake up early in the morning just to hear it over and over again,as well to see Adam in that beautiful video.

28. CherelleDay says:

Whoo-Hoo! The gorgeous, mega-talented, sexy ROCK GOD is right where he belongs at NUMBER #1 The one and only GRAMMY NOMINATED ADAM LAMBERT!

29. lking says:

California Girl and Alejandro probably in the top 5 why not listed. I would have though that WWFM more popular and on top 20 longer than IIHY. noticably absent is Miley Cirus. Will definitely be watching.

30. Dakota says:

My vote for the #1 video is Whataya Want From Me by Adam Lambert. As others have said, the fact that it was the #1 video on the Top 20 countdown five times (I think more than any other video during the year – I’m sure I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong about that) should make it a shoo-in for the #1 spot. Not only is it a great video, but Adam’s vocals are stellar. Plus he looks absolutely gorgeous! Lady Gaga will definitely be in the top 5 as she should be maybe with two of the top 5 videos.

31. Anastasia says:

I’m so happy to see Adam Lambert’s ‘If I Had You’ included on the list. I hope ‘For Your Entertainment’, and ‘Whataya Want From Me’ are in the top five. I can’t wait to watch the show.

32. dhunken says:

Adam’s WWFM is my guess for #1. It was the only video to be #1 for 5 weeks. No other video even came close. I think the top 5 are:

1) Whataya Want From Me – Adam Lambert

2) Kalifornia Gurls – Katy Perry

3) Live Like We’re Dying – Kris Allen

4) Teenage Dream – Katy Perry

5) OMG – Usher Feat Will I Am

33. Terri says:

Def Adam Lambert’s Whataya Want from Me. Also Gaga’s Bad Romance.

34. bjluvsadam says:

Adam’s Whataya Want From Me should be #1, GaGa’s Alejandro #2 and Katy Perry’s California Girls #3, #4 & #5 a toss up! So many good songs this year!

35. Eriskay says:

ADam – #One!

36. patty says:

30 Seconds to Mars Kings and Queens will be in top #5
    Still new but My Chemical Romance Na Na Na should be in top #40

37. Bryana says:

Wow!!! My Chemical Romance is not on there they have the best type of videos this is a screwed up world!!!

38. Jurnee says:

There’ll be something very fishy going on if you don’t have Gaga’s Bad Romance somewhere in the Top 40. Also Adam Lambert’s Whataya Want From Me, Katy Perry’s California Gurls and where’s Soul Sister by Train?

39. rema says:

No question Adam Lambert all the way!! There is no one like him!! This talented young man has it all an amazing voice, beautiful face, sex appeal like crazy and a heart of gold!!! No one better!!

40. linda says:

Adam Lambert I am so hoping has all 3 of his videos in the top 40.

41. Lili says:

Love ‘If I Had You’ ‘Resistance’ and ‘Telephone’! But what are the other five? *whines and can’t wait*

42. Bruce says:

I think it will be Adam Lambert Whataya Want From Me should be #1 I would think because it was voted #1 so many times in 2010 (yes, I pay attention to the show).

43. regggie says:

Adam is in the top five for sure with Whataya Want From Me and Lady Gaga of course. Rihanna’s rude boy. Katy Perry’s California Girls and The Script Breakeven.

44. Dashia says:

Hope Whataya Want From Me is on the Top 5. If ‘If I had You’ can make it to Top 40, the former definitely will be better

45. Amanda says:

hmmm I think Adam Lambert’s Whataya Want From Me is gonna be on there, Katy Perry’s California Girls, Kris Allen’s Live Like We’re Dying, and I’m not sure what else

those are the only other really huge ones I can think of right now lol

46. sssnap says:

I’m guessing the top 5 include Adam Lambert-Whataya Want From Me, Lady Gaga-Bad Romance, Katy Perry-California Gurls, Usher-OMG, and Kris Allen-Live Like We’re Dying.

47. jorge says:

katy perry firework !!!!!!!1

48. Lindajean says:

#1 Adam Lambert Whataya Want From Me
    #2 Need You Now Lady Antebellum
    #3 OMG Usher
    #4 BOB Airplanes
    #5 Katy Perry Teenage Dream

49. Justin says:

Shame that Orianthi’s “According To You,” Colbie Caillat’s “I Never Told You”, OneRepublic’s “All The Right Moves”, and Lifehouse’s “Halfway Gone” was omitted.

Top 10 P/ds
    10 Taylor Swift “Mine”
    9 Maroon 5 “Misery” (UMG fiasco costs them a Top 5)
    8 Lady Gaga/Beyoncé “Telephone”
    7 The Script “Breakeven”
    6 Usher/will.i.am “OMG”
    5 B.o.B/Hayley Williams “Airplanes”
    4 Katy Perry/Snoop Dogg “California Gurls”
    3 Lady Antebellum “Need You Now”
    2 Adam Lambert “Whataya Want From Me”
    1 Train “Hey, Soul Sister”

50. bitsy says:

Adam Lambert’s ‘Whatdaya Want From Me’ should be in the top five. It was retired after making the VH1 top 20 for twenty weeks. Great vocals and great video!

51. gina says:

LOL at all the glambert comments. Seriously, LOL. That was a good laugh to have before bed! Will WWFM be Top 5? Absolutely, but the rock god/grammy nomination/most awesome human being ever stuff is just….. hahahahaha

52. Pusishvr says:

The only one I see missing that interest me is Adam Lamberts Whataya Want From Me!! I Sure hope it’s in the top 5..

53. Judy Lushman says:

Adam Lambert’s Whataya want from me should definitely be in the top 5, hell it should win

54. queenrosered says:

GOTTA be “Whataya Want From Me”..Adam Lambert! 5 times his was the #1 video, MORE than any other artist! GO ADAM! :D

55. Ruth says:

Adam Lambert’s Whatdaya Want From Me should definitely be in the top 5!

56. jaycee says:

I would think to see Adam Lambert’s WWFM top 5 and Gaga and Katy. Not sure of other slots. And also, even though I am a huge Adam fan, some comments really do make me facepalm! Oh, well*shrugs*

57. forgetmenot says:

If Adam took first, second and third place with WWFM, IIHY and FYE I’d be really happy! Anyway I’ll settle with WWFM at No. 1, though FYE is my very favourite. Go Adam!!

58. MICHAEL YOUNG says:

LADY GAGA NO.1,THE FEMALE MICHAEL JACKSON,THE WOMEN WITH A BILLION FACE.

59. ishagupta says:

what i think is that linkin park’s catalyst should always be in this list…it remained #1 for 3 weeks……..thank you for not including justin bieber!!!

by the way….when are linkin park publishing their new video.????????

please add catalyst (linkin park)

60. Jennifer says:

My vote goes to Adam Lambert for WWFM.

61. Elizabeth says:

Lady GaGa Alejandro, Adam Lambert WWFM, Sade forget the name of hers but it is gorgeous.

62. Michael says:

PLEASE, PLEASE no Beeber !!! But definitely Adam Lambert WWFM, think it was #1 5 times.

63. Levon says:

Based on what videos are missing, I think the top 5 is:

“Whataya Want From Me” (Adam Lambert)
    “California Gurls” (Katy Perry & Snoop Dogg)
    “Bad Romance” (Lady Gaga)
    “Hey, Soul Sister” (Train)

“Nothin on You” or “Teenage Dream” could be the fifth one, not sure which though

64. Bobby says:

O.o where is Nicki Minaj your love or right thru me!!!! what is up with that!!! AND Ke$ha has only one video!! BULL your love is my drug should be on this list~ but i hope one of the top 5 is Gaga bad romance or Alejandro~! i cant remember if bad romance was on the list last year~ i dont think it was LOL XD

65. mark says:

Adam Lambert def in Top 5. And then, anybody BUT Beiber or Kesha.

66. Anthony says:

Top 5
    Lady GaGa-Bad Romance
    Katy Perry-California Gurls or Teenage Dream
    Adam Lambert-Whataya Want From Me
    John Mayer-Half of my Heart
    B.o.B-Nothin’ On You

Hoping for Take It Off or Your Love Is My Drug by Ke$ha but i’m not getting my hopes up.

67. Jay says:

Lifehouse (got number 1; 20/20 club), Kris Allen (2x number 1), Orianthi (longevity on the countdown), Shinedown (same as Orianthi. Peaked at 2), Nickelback(This Afternoon and Never Gonna Be Alone), Angel Taylor (20/20 club), Colbie Callait (hit number 1 2x), Lady Gaga (Bad Romance that is)(SONG OF THE YEAR) were totally snubbed.
    Bad Romance or Halfway Gone are the only ones that i think have a shot in the top 5. The rest were just totally jipped. And Heartbreak Warfare? Really? Did that song ever even peak at the top 5? It didn’t even have a concept video. If anything, Half Of My Heart should be there.
    So much wrong with this list.

68. Jarvis says:

i think airplanes shuld be in da top 5, dat wuz lyk da song of da summer also halfway gone, like u do, & according to u but heres my prediction

1 Bad Romance
    2 California Gurls
    3 Hey, Soul Sister
    4 Whataya Want From Me
    5 Halfway Gone

69. Jarvis says:

NOT AFRAID SHULD B NO. 1!!!!!!

70. Payton Samuels says:

My top 5:

5. Mirage- Armin van Buuren
    4. 450- Sebastian Brandt
    3. World Of Chances- Demi Lovato
    2. Dancin Around The Truth- The Stunners ft. New Boyz
    1. Strip Me- Natasha Bedingfield

As for the official top 40 of 2010 here on VH1, we won’t know till Friday.

71. Jarvis says:

wat happened 2 billionaire?!?

72. Jarvis says:

take dat bak, i didnt c billionaire on da list ma bad! lol

73. zackBADROMANCE says:

BAD ROMANCE BAD ROMANCE BAD ROMANCE BAD ROMANCE BAD ROMANCE BAD ROMANCE BAD ROMANCE BAD ROMANCE BAD ROMANCE IS MORE THAN A VIDEO OR SONG IS ART IS LOVE IS AMAZING IS JUST A MONSTER VIDEO AND SONG VH1 DONT FORGET BAD ROMANCE IS THE MOST WATCHED VIDEO IN MUSIC HISTORY WITH ONE BILLIONS OF TIMES NOT JUST IN YOUTUBE IN ALL INTERNET BAD ROMANCE WAS THE VIDEO THAT DEFINE 2010 I LOVE YOU SO MUCH MY LADY GAGA THE MOST DOWNLOAD SONG IN MUSIC HISTORY NUMBER 1 IN MORE THAN 20 COUTRIES BAD ROMANCE YEAHHHH

74. Jacki says:

I’m gonna say Adam’s Whataya want from me & Alejandro for Lady Gaga. 2 great singers with great videos. Katy Perry, visually lovely but not a singer. I’m sure Train is up in the top 5, too. Have no idea who the other 1 could be. praying no beeeeber!!!!

75. Eric says:

I believe the top 5 will be…

5. The Script “Breakeven”
    4. Katy Perry/Snoop Dogg “California Gurls”
    3. Train “Hey, Soul Sister”
    2. Adam Lambert “Whataya Want From Me”
    1. Katy Perry “Teenage Dream”

76. jorge says:

katy perry is the best

77. Denise says:

I love to watch your videos, but there is one very big problem. Why don’t you include the year that the video was made?

78. shelby says:

top five
    5 justin bieber
    4 ke$ha
    3 katy perry
    2 lady gaga bad romance or alejandro’
    1 adam lambert what do you want from me

79. Dana says:

Adam Lambert’s Whataya Want From Me should definitely be in the top 5

80. Eduardo says:

I Disaqqree Withh Everyone . Obviously Thee Best Artist Ihss Bruno Mars. He Should Win . Thenn’ Travie McCoy, Jason Derulo, Mike Posner Ndd’ So On . Buhtt’ Bruno Mars All Thee Wayy . Also, Why Isntt’ Gqrenade Uhpp’ Their Tuh . Ndd’ I Gqott Nothinqq Aqqainst Adam Or Gaga Or Katy Buhtt’ Bruno’s Sonqqs Are Way Better .

81. Lucy says:

Love GaGa. She should absolutely be in the top 5, but I was amazed by Whataya Want From Me by Adam Lambert. Very different video.

82. yessirs says:

Yes, WWFM will be top 5 but I see Adam as an artist that is still building. He has to have another successful or even more successful second album before anyone can think greatness. I really hope RCA/RMG has a good plan for album 2 and that he gets a radio/Billboard/single sales hit first single from the start. Adam cannot afford to have his first single from album 2 flop. The song has to be FIRE!!! Look at Katy Perry, every song released has gone to number 1. It’s about smart music choices for album 2 for Adam. Anyway, congrats to Adam for having a good 2010. 2011 is the year we find out if Adam can/will become a superstar..we’ll see

83. livvia says:

As much as I want WWFM to be in the top 5… I don’t think it will be.

84. brandon says:

They’re forgetting about the video of the year: Rude Boy by rihanna… c’mon man

85. Trudy says:

Miranda Lambert has to be in there somewhere….

86. scotty says:

Looking for Adam Lambert’s Whataya Want From Me to make the top 5.

No Kesha please.

87. Marilyn Curtis says:

Adam Lambert’s WWFM is NOT on this list? Perhaps it’s one of the five not showing yet. and his ‘If I Had You’ should be at the top too. Hope I’m right.

88. karen says:

So shocked Hedley not in here
    Why not?

89. indigo says:

I just saw VH1 countdown and saw ” If I had you” vid clip and comments regarding the vid and Adam. I am so proud of Adam, Yes he does have that warmth that nobody can resist.

90. Eriskay says:

Adam Lambert should definitely be in the top Five!!
    He deserves to be Number One with
    “Whataya Want From Me.”

91. Glória says:

WWFM from Adam Lambert should be on Top 5! Amazing vídeo and sensational singer. This guy can realy sing live like no other, his voice is breathtaking and his stage presence is magnetic. Adam Lambert is already a super star!! GO ADAM <333

92. redhot77j says:

so when do we get to buy the collection on an album?

93. Oh My says:

wow… eminem didnt make the top 5?
    yet he got 10 nominations for the grammys…
    interesting…

94. Ash says:

Doesn’t anyone realize how absolutely brilliant Mumford and Sons are???

95. Patrick says:

ok last 3 videos are “Breakeven” , “California Gurls” and “Hey Soul Sister”

96. Bryan says:

The Black Keys – Tighten Up (Gotta be in the top 40)

97. casey says:

where is enrique iglesias?! I like it was a brilliant video and a definite fav of the year

98. Patty Fischer says:

What’s wrong with everyone??? Train Hey Soul Sister and The Script Breakeven – definitely the best two songs of the year!!!

99. Jason says:

Ok, where are these missing vids:

Katy Perry – Teenage Dream

Linkin Park – The Catalyst

B.o.B Ft. Bruno Mars – Nothin’ On You

John Mayer – Half Of My Heart

All of these were massive hits, and more deserving then several ones that got the nod.

100. leximig25 says:

Where is Grenade by Bruno Mars? The music video is a story everyone can relate to, it shows the extreme of everybody’s thoughts on this type of situation. But Bruno is able to take it to the highest level of intensity.

101. Dianne says:

number one has to be Soul Sister

102. kyle says:

wht is Colbie Caillats I never told you on here she deserves to be on here because she was at #1 too many times not to be yall messed up and suck

103. Deb says:

Vh1′s Countdowns are based on record and radio sales, guys. If they weren’t up there, they’re not on there.

104. Victoria A says:

Like 75% of the songs on here i love!!! I was like looking for a list of alot of my fave songs and i found it.

105. julian says:

WHERE IS OK GO THIS TOO SHALL PASS RUBE GOLDBERG VIDEO?

106. Matt says:

There were so many great songs this year yet most of the songs on this list suck

107. lexi says:

my chem should be up for this
    they are #2 in the running for mtvs

Right now Sunzabeaches featuring Kelly Guigiere #8
    Right now Nation of Temptation #9 featuring Laurie Jordan
    Right now Nation of Temptation #10 featuring Daphne

109. atown says:

30 seconds to mars?

110. Tony says:

i really wish bad romance was on here or alejandro

111. jessica says:

Where’s Down- Jay Sean ft. Lil Wayne?! That song was epic!! The video was sexy too.

112. Stevie says:

Where’s This Afternoon by Nickelback? That was a CLASSIC video. It should’ve most DEFINITELY been on the countdown. Truthfully, my favorite video of 2010 was Can’t Be Tamed by Miley Cyrus. That was a sexy video.

113. music1030 says:

i’m surprised that bad romance wasnt on there. i mean…telephone? bad romance was much better and had so many views.

114. Stephanie says:

I have one question:
    WHERE THE HECK WAS FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE? Are you joking?!

115. Bobby Mowery says:

WHERE IS ANY JUSTIN BIEBER, WHERE IS WIZ KHALIFA BLACK AND YELLOW, WHERE IS LIL WAYNE? VH1 IS SOOOOO GAY

116. Scott says:

Hello! I’d just like to give a huge thumbs up for this great piece you’ve got here. I will be coming back for more before long. Cheers.