R.I.P. Mike Starr (1966-2011)

Terrible news to pass along. TMZ is reporting that Mike Starr, former Alice in Chains bassist and cast member on Celebrity Rehab 3 and Sober House 2, has passed away at the age of 44. His cause of death is currently unknown, but it’s worth noting that Starr was arrested in Salt Lake City last month for possession of a controlled substance.

As we saw during the third season of Celebrity Rehab, Starr continued to harbor enormous feelings of guilt and regret over the death of his friend and Alice in Chains bandmate, Layne Staley, up until the time of his passing.

We’ll continue to share more information with you as soon as it comes in.

1. Elizabeth says:

Mike, Rest in peace, brother. You fought a good fight even if you didn’t realize it.

2. Mew says:

The cause of death is unknown yet he was on shows about trying to get over substance abuse, so it’s probably a good bet that his death was caused by said substances and/or the negative effects they had on his body.

3. Colleen says:

This news just breaks my heart! I was pulling for Mike but felt like he could not get over the death of his friend and bandmate.My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Mike was soooo talented and I hope that he is at peace finally, jamming with Layne in the hereafter.

RIP Mike!

4. Mandy says:

Thats so sad. I was a fan of Mike on Celebrity Rehab. He seamed like he was a great guy but I never met him. I love his band a lot. RIP Mike Star!

5. teresa says:

I’m devastated!!! I was sooo hoping this wouldn’t happen. Mike I hope you have found the peace you deserve. Much love and respect my brother!! :(

6. Dayna says:

Not suprised that he died. Al least he doesn’t have demons to fight anymore.
    R.I.P. Mike

7. Dan says:

Its so sad the pain we all carry,and some the load is to heavy to bare.I hope you find peace in your next life.Much metta to you and your family.

8. seamus says:

A really talented guy who seemed hurt. Thank you for the little pic in his life, reminded me of a few people in my past. Hopefully his music will be played on some station that we all will be able to listen to!

9. Carole says:

I was so upset to learn of Mike’s passing. I was praying he could get the “monkey off his back”. I know Dr. Drew did all he could, and I guess the problem was too big for all of them. God bless you Mike and hope you and your friend will be jamming in Heaven. Prayers to your family. Now you can rest in peace, its just too bad your family can’t.

10. Suzanne says:

While watching Celebrity Rehab I was always wondering why Mike was not receiving intense therapy for the core issue of guilt. His death is tragic…and possibly could not have been averted…but perhaps it could have….who knows. I hope he finds peace on the other side.

11. Saintt-Sinner says:

When I heard the news I felt the world get a little dimmer…I was rooting for Mike all the way…Now Mike and Layne can jam together for all eternity R.I.P.

12. Catherine says:

My heart is broken, as I was so behind Mike. May he rest in peace. My prayers go out to his family and friends. Dr. Drew (the greatest in the business), did everything he could for Mike and I know that Dr. Drew is sad and probably just devastated. Mike, may you rest in peace. As I know that you have tried to move on with the help of Dr. Drew and his team.

13. Chris says:

My heart just sank from the initial news of Mike Starr’s passing? Out of all the people on CEleb. Rehab.3, I felt Mike was feeling a hurt beyond what all the others were feeling as they became more sober and having to learn to deal with their emotions without the aid of chemicals. I’m just really saddened that Mike is no longer with us! He was an inspiration to addicts i’m sure, as well as to me! You will be missed Mike! God bless you and may you now enjoy a pain free existence in Heaven!

14. Beckie says:

I am so sad to hear of Mike’s death. I too feel that he can now rest in peace finally but it is still so very sad for someone of such greatness to pass at such a young age. He had so much to share not only in his music but in his love and warmth as a person. May God bless his family and friends in this time of sadness. Much love and peacefullness. May u rock in eternity.

15. Diana says:

R.I.P. Mike…you were a star among dark skies.

16. Cathy says:

Let’s pray that he is finally at peace and is now rejoicing with our Savior and his dear friend. Our prayers are for his family now, and thank you Dr. Drew for always trying to rescue the lost souls in us.

17. Precious Pam says:

I had such good feelings about Mike even thought he seems a bit lost at times,I was very hurt, sad and not to mention surprise of his death, his pain was deeper than sober house. MIKE you are at peace now. Just watching you on Celebrity Rehab, I came to Love you.

18. Felicia says:

I am so sorry to hear that he passsed away.
    R.I.P. Mike you were a great man and artist.
    But we are all flawed humans.
    Prayers to all his friend and family.
    Sorry for your loss

19. Angela says:

I watched all the rehab shows and with Mike he really had alo of emotions tied to his addition and I really thought he found and forgave all his pains of his pasts and was looking forward. However with this illness there are always stumbells and unfortunately trageties and Mike was a fighter till the end with his illness and I do believe he thought there would have been another day to fight. Mike you were a solder to be looked up to in the war of addition and you will be missed but not forgot.

20. Joeyrobertsdoor says:

He was a lost individual that went too far to look back.Look,Learn,and listen.

21. Jackie says:

So very very sad…thoughts and prayers are with the family.

22. Susanne Hebert says:

He was a great musician but an even better human being. The pain he was given to deal with was so senseless. I hope that he will finally come to know peace.

23. Susanne Hebert says:

This terribly sad news is something that I’ve dreaded for sometime. It sounds like the cause of death has not yet been declared, but I know that Mike really stuggled with Smack, the great taker. Tough, tough monster to battle and in order to kick it you somehow have to get to a place where you are willing to do whatever is asked of you to stay clean one day at a time (let alone tomorrow and the rest of your life). Perhaps this is all for naught, but based on my own experiences and graduate education, drugs played some part in robbing Mike’s life away from him, his loved ones, and his fans. I can only pray that he will finally come to know peace. Blessings.

24. bbug says:

So sad to hear this news. Loved Alice in Chains, back in the day! And watched Mike on Celeb Rehab. Poor Dr Drew, it must be devasting as a doctor to find this out.

25. Catherine King-Chuparkoff says:

I am in tears for Mike and his loving family. It was so apparent that his soul was so tortured on the show, and his smiling moments were fleeting at best. I believe there is a heaven and hope he can finally rest his mind and heart. Blessings to you all.

26. Kim says:

Sorry saddened by the news of Mike’s passing. Such a short life for such a talented musician. My heart and prayers go out to his friends and family. I hope he’s in a better place now and his soul is at rest.

27. Denise says:

You will be missed <3RIP

28. MEL says:

Damn Mike, I just knew you were going to make it.

29. michelle says:

R.I.P. MIKE, I AM SORRY TO HEAR OF THE PASSING OF THIS ICON AND WONDERFUL BASS PLAYER. HE WAS TRULY A GIFTED YOUNG MAN AND GAVE A LOT TO THE WORLD OF ROCK AND ROLL. IT IS WITH A SAD HEART THAT I BID HIM A SAFE JOURNEY ON HIS WAY TO HEAVEN TO BE REUNITED WITH HIS BEST FRIEND AND BANDMATE LANE, WHO HE LOVED DEARLY AND MISSED SO BADLY. I FEEL THIS IS ONE OF THE MAIN CAUSES OF HIS DEATH, THAT HE COULD NEVER FULLY ACCEPT THAT LANE’S PASSING WAS HIS TIME AND MIKE WAS IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR IT, EVEN IF MIKE MAY HAVE FELT THAT HE WAS BECAUSE HE WASN’T THERE WHEN LANE DIED. GOD BLESS YOU AND HOPE ONE DAY WHEN MY TURN COMES I WILL GET TO MEET YOU IN HEAVEN. MY DEEP CONDOLENCES GO OUT TO MIKE STARR’S FAMILY AND FRIENDS AS I KNOW THEY ARE IN MOURNING AND DEEPLY SHOCKED AND HURT OVER THIS, BUT IF IS ANY HELP ONE DAY WE WILL ALL SEE THE END OF OUR JOURNEY HERE AS WELL AND WILL REUNITE WITH THOSE WHO WENT BEFORE US. I ALSO FEEL THAT THEY WATCH OVER US AND WALK RIGHT BY OUR SIDES UNTIL IT IS OUR TURN TO WALK ON THE OTHER SIDE WITH THEM. LOVE YOU MIKE!

30. Tasha says:

You will be missed!!!!Now he can join Layne!!!!RIP we love you!!!

31. shane says:

it is so sad I dont even have words… I hope he is at peace with himself…now him and layne can be 2together in the everafter.. I pray for his family and hope they know now mike doesnt have to struggle with his demons anymore.. REST in PEACE mike, we love you………

32. Brenda says:

Wow, this such a shock to me! I thought he was doing so much better with the substance abuse. RIP Mike.

33. Robin says:

We never gave up on you Mike. My prayers go out to your family. The world was a better place with you in it. Rest now, I know that you have finally found peace.

34. neechia says:

rest in peace dude, at least the pain is gone now.

35. Michell says:

OMG AM SOOOOOOOO SAD ABOUT ‘MIKE STARR’ I WATCH celebrity rehab3′when MIKE WAS ON IT HIS POOR MOTHER BLESS HER SOUL.AND DR.DREW IS SAD OVER IT CAUSE DR. DREW TRY 2 HELP MIKE STARR’..R.I.P MY ROCK STARR…

36. Colleen says:

I was so sad to hear about Mike. I was, and am still, such a huge AIC fan. I hope that Mike, Layne, Kurt, Andy, and the countless others that lost their lives due to drugs are somewhere playing the best rock-n-roll ever! My condolences to Mike’s family, friends, and band mates. I’m fortunate to have so many memories of seeing him play. Nothing compared to an AIC show (I’m talking late 80′s-early 90′s)! I will miss you, Mike, your talent, your smile, your gorgeous long brown curly locks… Much love from your biggest Spokane fan!

37. russ says:

r.i.p. mike we will miss you.

38. jessica says:

wow didnt know he passed away,it could be from stress

39. SlyDevil says:

“You NEVER leave someone behind, you leave a part of yourself behind and take a part of them with you”
    ~Anonymous~

Take Care Mike….

40. Kim says:

I am a recovering addict and just watched Dr. Drew on TV last night in an interview. He kept saying that he wants America to know why people do what they do. To understand. I commend Dr. Drew for what he has done, although I think he has some addictive behaviors myself. However, the only people who “truly” understand why addicts do what they do are other addicts. No one else who is not an addict themselves can ever truly understand or perceive what goes on in the mind of an addict, why we do what we do, and how we recover from it. All the psychological evaluations, therapy and treatment in the world can never really get to the core of an addicts disease like another recoverying addict can within the one on one relationship between a sponsor and an addict who helps them through the 12 steps. It’s in the 12 steps that “true” recovery, deep down lasting change and healing transformation is possible. For an addict it’s in How It Works and Why. Pain, Ego, Self-Centeredness and Fear can all be replaced with healing, God-Centeredness, forgiveness and hope.

41. Legal sounds says:

We just couldnt leave your website before telling you that we really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back soon to check up on new posts

42. Lorraine Burris says:

I am looking for any help I can get, and I will take it. I came from a family of alcoholics and I am currently addicted to alcohol, I hate it! I wish it would go away, I have been in treatment 2 times, but was in a relationship (in the past), that would not allow me to follow through with the treatment after detox. I am currently in a positive relationship (he is not into drinking), but, he understand, and loves me for who I am, he is waiting for the day that I walk away from booze. His mother was an alcohol, drug and child abuse counselor, which (describes me). I don’t do drugs, but was abused. His mom has alzheimers, so, she loves me but cannot help. I could be the person of success for you, I currently have no health insurance, so I am stuck. I am not famous, but, my brother was, he played basketball for the university of Washington (Dan Caldwell) He is a successful teacher and coach in Idaho. I am 6′ 2″ and people think I am beautiful. I would love to meet Dr Drew, I respect his approach. I want to be a good person for my guy.

43. weezie says: