R.I.P. Jeff Conaway (1950-2011)

Sad news to report today, actor Jeff Conaway has died at the age of 60. Conaway had been in a coma since May 11, when he was found unconscious in his home.

Dr. Drew Pinsky, who worked with Conaway as he battled addiction on Celebrity Rehab, disclosed that Conaway has been suffering from pneumonia and sepsis, and while in the hospital he was reliant on a feeding tube and a ventilator. His condition continued to deteriorate and his family chose to turn off his life support on May 26 after doctors pronounced him brain dead.

Conaway was best known for his roles in Taxi and Grease, as well for his appearances on Celebrity Rehab. It’s a tragic loss for his family, as well as the VH1 family. A VH1 spokesman just gave us this statement: ”We’re all saddened by the news of Jeff’s passing. His incredible talent and passion will be greatly missed. We extend our deepest condolences to his family and friends.”

1. sara says:

shouldn’t that be “turn OFF his life support”….

2. Marie Simmons says:

Addiction is no joke, I just recently ended a 3yr relationship with my daughter father because of his alcohol abuse. Its sad and alarming to know that addicts are addicts for the rest of theyre lives and its always a struggle and battle to stay sober. RIP Mr Conaway and hopefully my ex can get it together before he comes to your tragic end

3. John says:

R.I.P. Jeff

4. Sherry says:

Yeah Sara, it should’a been OFF…just a typo. It’s sad but even if he hadn’t been on drugs at the time of his death, the damage that was done to his body from the years of addiction probably played a part in it. It does eventually catch up to you. RIP.

5. Phil anana says:

He was a very awesome guy!! heart pours out to his family !! may he be at peace now. the battle is over and he get’s to be in our hearts and with God now.

6. Kim Engel says:

So sad!!!!! my heart goes to his family and friends!!!!!!!! R.I.P.

7. veronica little says:

I hate when the addiction wins

8. sheryl says:

it wasn’t addiction that won it was lack of adequate treatment for chronic pain when it presented. we are forced into being nation of self medicaters when doctors refuse to prescribe pain meds because they automatically assume abuse will occur. research has proven that less than 3% of chronic pain patients will abuse their meds but abusers. are all we hear about. there are people who can take these meds and benefit from them but all you hear about is the abusers which make doctors afraid to prescribe or correctly monitor them.