Single Ladies Star Travis Winfrey Opens Up About Everything, Including Why It’s Impossible To Work With Stacey Dash

Single Ladies is, yes, a show about single ladies, but the men of the show are definitely an important reason to watch. There are plenty of love interests that will come and go throughout the season, but the one man who will remain in the ladies’ lives is Val‘s boutique employee Omar, played by Travis Winfrey.

We sat down with Winfrey this week and it’s safe to say we have a little crush on him now. Winfrey talked about how his real first love is music and that he’s in New York to work on an EP for his band, Peachtree Industrial, while he has the summer off. But of course we wanted to know the Single Ladies dirt, so he got into the good stuff about what happens at the end of long days on the set, and why he hates working with Stacey Dash.

Single Ladies had 2.8 million viewers for the premiere, that’s crazy.

I know, I was just talking about that. That was expected and unexpected. It was hard to gauge it when you’re actually working on a project but when we read the script, every guy working on the project was like, this is going to be a hit.

To play Omar, have you created a back story for him, or is he fully fleshed out in the script?

Normally I would try and create a back story but I went the opposite for Omar. Because I’m straight and playing a gay guy, I wanted to leave it totally blank, no stereotypes filtered into it, none of the typical ways an actor or a gay person is portrayed. I wanted to make a very realistic, down-to-earth, wholesome character who just so happens to be gay.

You’ve had some lines, like the one about your online dating profile that mentions you’re “hung like a horse,” that have some shock value. Is it easy to deliver lines like that?

Being an actor, you have the initial worry of “People are going to really think I’m like this!” But it’s what we do. I personally don’t have an online dating profile but it’s funny that he’s cool, like, “Yeah, I lied about it,” and that’s how people are. Everything else, I’m just as shocked as you are. There were a couple times where I’ve had a dialogue with the writer to say, you know, my grandma’s going to be watching this. And it gets worse, trust me.

Can you tell me if we’ll see Omar’s love life at all this season?

Omar is at the point right now where it’s gonna take a lot to lock him down. It has to be a special guy…But it gets hot toward the end, I’ll tell you that. Omar’s sexuality…He’s the kind of person who doesn’t follow what everybody thinks, so you’ll never know what he’ll do. Omar will surprise you.

You mentioned you’re new to acting, so what’s it like working with veteran actors like Stacey Dash and LisaRaye?

It was fantastic. The acting thing is brand new to me, I started in music first. Working with Stacey Dash, I loved it, she’s been in the business for a while…It’s hard to work with Stacey because she’s so damn beautiful. I can’t even read when I’m around her. I hate working with her, now that I think about it. She makes me look bad because she’s so beautiful. I get so stupid around her.

For people that don’t know, can you talk about your music a little more?

We’re a small band called Peachtree Industrial, and we’re based out of Atlanta. I went through the whole boy-band factory a while ago, but we just did this for fun, and then we started getting offers from people and then VH1 came to us, somebody heard one of my songs, so we’re working on the EP now. You can catch one of our rehearsal sessions on YouTube to hear some of the songs we’re working on now.

Any chance we’ll hear you on Single Ladies?

I’m talking to them now about it. Music is my first love. It is probably one of the most golden opportunities to get with a network that’s in the birth of their scripted series. They’re open to the artistic side of it. What better place to be than a music network if you’re a musician and an actor?

Omar has his own Twitter account (@Omar_VH1). Is it weird seeing an alter ego of yours have their own account and do you (@Travis_Winfrey) follow him yourself?

I just found that out! Yes, I follow him. It’s weird. It’s very strange. The whole experience is weird. I never wanted to be an actor, but I’m so grateful. I haven’t even seen the show, I can’t watch it, so I’m just soaking it all in. I just now started Twitter and I’m really not good at it.

Do you have a favorite celebrity you’ve worked with or any stories from having them cameo on the show?

I got to work with Queen Latifah. Common was great, Terrell Owens was great, Pilar Sanders did a fantastic job…

People loved her last line to April this week, “You should have kept your legs closed then like you’re keeping your mouth closed now”…

That was one of the lines [writer] Stacy A. Littlejohn threw out there and was like, say this, it’s gonna kill. And she was right. On set we were like “Whoa.” We knew it was gonna be a hit.

Working with D.B. Woodside and Anthony Montgomery, too…those are my homeboys. And of course Tilky Jones, me and Tilky go way back to the boy band factory. (Jones was in the band Take 5.) A lot of people on set go further back than we ever imagined. But Queen Latifah topped the cake. I get to work with Queen Latifah.

What do you say to people who would say Single Ladies is a scripted version of Real Housewives of Atlanta, or even Basketball Wives?

Nope. The thing about Real Housewives, and nothing against them personally, but I think that Single Ladies is where they are striving to be. To become like those ladies, confident, already established. It has the same kind of drama but we take it more lightheartedly, you know? It’s still a comedy. They mean it when they’re yelling at each other on the Housewives, that’s some real meanness. It’s very important to separate the reality from the scripted stuff. You see how much cleaner and crisper it is when it’s prepared drama and not just “throw a glass of water on her” drama. I get embarrassed that people really behave like that.

So the rumors of there being real drama on the set?

There’s always going to be drama on the set, and I did see those rumors, but no. You would have seen some black eyes on the last few episodes if that happened. They’re professionals. We sometimes work 15- or 16-hour days and of course somebody’s gonna be like “Leave me alone,” but any other drama got blown up in the Twitterverse.

1. sunnycali says:

I don’t like this stereotype show and it’s degrading to black women. Why is it really necessary for the white chick to be married to a brother and screwing another bother behind his back, while the other black women are single trying to find Mr. Right. Major turn off for me was Stacey Dash blind date scene and I was done after that. I don’t see this show as the “Black Sex in the City”. Just my options good luck with the rating and please change location from Atlanta…. Not a good place for “Single Black” women…. U Dig.

2. jeanette says:

I love the show and I feel that all single women need t o see this and remember how men are whether you are poor and rich men are the same and we are strong women even when we need strong men in our lives. This is a good show love it

3. Francena says:

I LOVE this show! Definately there will be self righteous, uptight jerks who always have something negative to say about shows that really tell how single life IS, but they will have to be ok! More SINGLE LADIES!

4. Jazzy says:

Great show! I just hope the writers continue to keep the plots intersting and nofizzle out. I’m guessing at least one of the writers is a single woman penning her experiences.

5. bri says:

I love the show!!

6. Boo says:

Love the show, classy and a far cry from basketball wives. Please continue to portray black women in a positive manner.

7. Sue says:

I love Single Ladies, they defintely have a hit, all the characters are incredible and the main characters, Val, Keisha, and April are off the chain but I have to mention Omar is becoming one of my favorites characters. The show definitely takes you on a roller coaster ride. Two thumbs up for Single Ladies!!!!!!!!

8. Kaye says:

This show is fantastic coodoo’s the Queen. I love the characters and I love that t VH1 airs it more that once. I can’t get enough of it. The hell with all those negative comments its just intertainment and I think it is great. Keep up the great work and writing keep them coming.

9. Traci says:

I love the show, I love the ladies and all their styles. There is nothing wrong in being yourself and ejoying life.

10. lharley says:

I love this show!!! I have to admit I thought the first episode was stereotypical and I was a little concerned, but the show has gotten better and better with each new episode and the cast has started to “gel” with one another. I now find the show to be very entertaining and the fashion and men are incredible! I consider this to be “must see” tv for myself! I sometimes look at television for an escape from reality and this show has something for everyone…comedy, drama, fact and fiction. Kudos to the creators, producers, writers, directors, and cast!!! I do believe they may have a hit show on their hands!!!!

11. Donna says:

Love it…Love it…Love it…I can relate because this is me….my friends and I deal with the same issues. Any women who says they can’t relate…LIE!!!!!!

12. SWMoore says:

I am a 49-year old happily married woman (I did not marry until I was 38); and I ENJOY, no LOVE, the show! It reminds me of my single days; maybe minus some of the high end stuff but certainly similar situations. The range in the various aspects of life is real, wonderful, unfortunate and exciting! (Unfortunately, the two reality shows that deals with African American women are awful– well at least I can’t relate.)

So, keep up the good work!

13. Yakeitha says:

I love what Omar brings to the story line. However, I am confused as to why he is not featured in the opening credits. I noticed that the new intern appears in the opening credit, but no Omar. Omar began with the show and he is very visible in every episode. He should be apart of the opening credits.

14. Dawn says:

I too noticed that Omar is not in the opening credits. He is a great asset (his assets look good too!) to the female leads. His membership in their group is hilarious and endearing. The man deserves more credit than he is getting.

15. PleasantlySurprised says:

ok, i can’t lie. my dirty little secret is that i’m really starting to love “single ladies”. i think stacey dash and lisa raye do a GREAT job and Omar is the best! i’m glad that none of them are over-the-top and stereotypes, and i agree that the first 2 episodes had me concerned thatthis was going to be another “black woman downer” show, but the Queen came thru! i like it alot and it’s hilarious. i love that the ladies date and have relationships with all races of men, but still show love for the brothas. Black men are not excluded, as black women are usually excluded in other shows that focus on black men in interracial relationships. Now i just want to see stacey dash or lisa raye with a FINE Puerto Rican man – i grew up always thinking PR men were FINE, but it seems as if they have been excluded from dramas almost as much (or even more than) Black women. it’s just real to life for so many things women go thru. So yes, a Black woman with a FINE (not cute, but FINE) puerto rican should be next!

16. Kat T says:

Love it about time something fresh and new to look at.

17. Kat T says:

Oh yea Travis is soooooooooo hottttttt.

18. ricky says:

mr. Winfrey,
    What is disturbing to me is that a lot of straight African american are playing gay roles now. It’s
    like saying the only way you can make good $ in acting is to belittle yourself by being gay. We might as well go back to taking roles as butlers and field hands.