Top 20 Live: David Cook Leaves His Fans “High And Dry” (In A Good Way)

The road that American Idol winners have to travel is not always paved with gold. Sure, there are but a handful of artists who would turn down the opportunity to have national television exposure every week for five months straight, but as we have seen since the show first debuted in 2002, the same fans who call in to vote for artists week after week don’t always follow their faves to the record store by the time their albums actually come out. And, unless you’re Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood, chances are that even fewer fans are still riding your bandwagon by the time your second post-Idol album comes out.

David Cook is looking to be an exception to that rule. After his eponymous post-Idol album went platinum back after its release in 2008, he’s releasing his brand new LP, This Loud Morning, tomorrow. Judging on what we heard when he came through our offices a few weeks back, he’s got a really good chance to become the most successful male Idol winner of all-time. Rather than simply coasting on his fame, he worked extra hard in the studio and stretched himself musically, collaborating with esteemed songwriters like Marti Frederiksen, John Rzenik of the Goo Goo Dolls, hitmaker du jour Ryan Tedder, and many more.

Above, we’ve got David Cook’s outstanding cover of Radiohead‘s “High And Dry” for you, but during his four song, Top 20 Live set performed live here at the VH1 offices, he also laid down “Come Back To Me,”, “The Last Goodbye,” and his mammoth hit off of David Cook, “Light On.” Enjoy!

1. Chris says:

Thanks for posting this. He did a cover of this at a Ronald McDonald House charity event, there was only a partial of it posted. This was awesome, thank you again. His voice is so pure and clear, gives me goose bumps.

2. Natalie says:

Wow, that is seriously gorgeous!! David Cook doesn’t often sing that high, but he should more often. Thank you for the video!

3. Linddar says:

Thanks so much for getting this beautiful performance on tape and posted here. I believe the previously mentioned Ronald MacDonald performance was the only other time David sang this. Absolutely beautiful.

4. mirik says:

Gorgeeous..I like David Cook..;he is talented as songwritter,musician,an artist….that comes back w this Loud Morning…great lyrics in all the album..VOTE FOR DCook!!!!;he deserves it

5. Meg says:

David Cook is an outstanding singer/performer. His new album is a must-have. Circadian, Fade Into Me, Hard to Believe, Rapid Eye Movement; actually ALL the songs are well written and his voice is killer on them. (His cover of High and Dry is pretty darn good too.)

6. Meg says:

Gorgeous rendition of High and Dry. So glad David performed this cover. Go team David and Neal.

7. Giang Nguyen says:

Wow, jaw dropping. David and his voice give me thrills and goose bumps. Can’t stop watching. Thank you VH1 for this amazing performance!

8. peggy lenick says:

I truly love David Cook

9. HJD says:

David Cook does so many fabulous covers that it would be hard for me to pick a favorite. This one is probably the front runner. A wonderful performance. Thank you, VH1.

10. cathy says:

Thanks for posting this. David Cook’s voice is so beautiful singing this song. Am listening to his new album This Loud Morning and it’s amazing. I highly recommend it.

11. Barbara Sayers says:

Just about the time I thought I had heard the best of David Cook, along comes “High and Dry”. I can’t get enough of his music. Hopefully he will be performing many years to come.

12. Leslie says:

Absolutely beautiful!! I love that voice.

13. Safroniamay says:

So beautiful. So sad. Love David’s Radiohead covers! Thank you VH1 – this was a real treat.

14. diane248 says:

David Cook has the most amazing voice I have ever heard. His songs touch my soul. High and Dry is another one of David’s covers that hit that plateau. If you like David’s covers, you’ve got to listen to his new album, This Loud Morning. Every song on that album tugs at your heartstrings as well as makes you think. In this age of empty music, “let’s all party,” This Loud Music is a breath of fresh air. David’s voice is magnificent on every song, and the creative use of instrumentation is an extra treat. My only problem is that I love every song, and can’t stop listening once I start. That should be my biggest problem with every album I hear.

15. 1lynnelynne says:

Sometimes David Cook’s voice just takes my breath away. This performance is one of those times! Thank you so much, VH1, for this beautiful video. Also, David’s new album “This Loud Morning” is one of the most original, captivating records that I have heard in years! I highly recommend it. ~L