Single Ladies – Episode 10 – Can’t Read My Poker Face

Okay, let me just thank the powers that be that there’s a season two of Single Ladies right now, because I need answers!

First, I need answers to the big double proposal dilemma of 2011. I mean, I saw the whole hookup thing with Quinn coming as soon as Val drank her weight in champagne, but two proposals in one day (while wearing the same bedsheet)???

Too much for me to handle right now.

When the episode began, Christina, sassy and inappropriate intern that we know her to be, was ribbing Val about her self-sabotaging ways in the men department. Christina was video-blogging her experiences working at V for school, and the gang decides to snoop on her and watch her previous posts. Why Val’s love life would have any bearing on Christina’s grade or any relevance to her education is beyond me, but it makes for some decent plot advancement. In one post (where Christina is fascinatingly accessorized in pearls and a cocked baseball cap), she calls Val’s love life “a disaster.”

This prompts April to actually look up the word “disaster” in the dictionary for some reason. Why, April, why? We know you aren’t that dumb, girl.

But Christina’s not done. She also says that “when it comes to men, she’s a doozy,” and says that if she has to grade Val’s love life, she’d give her all Fs. Val doesn’t take this well. Val defends her choice to break up with Jerry, her perfect man, just because he wouldn’t give her a ring, and her friends could not be more begrudging in their support. If you could caption their expressions, they’d be like “I guess? We support that? Or whatever?”

Christina criticized Val for sabotaging her own relationships, but for the first time this week, Val sabotages the relationships of those around her too. When Omar‘s ne’er-do-well boyfriend Derek stops by the shop and tells Val he plans to make up for his recent bad boyfriend behavior by taking Omar to Cancun, Val actually takes it upon herself to tell Derek “Thanks, but no thanks. Omar’s not interested.” When she proudly tells Omar she’s saved him from a potentially awkward situation and basically helped break them up, Christina hits the nail on the head when she says “I feel a ‘you’ coming, but I don’t think ‘thank’ is the word in front of it.”

Omar’s angry. Very angry. (But it’s all good, Derek makes up for it later and the two of them reconcile. Thanks for playing Omar, your work in this episode is done!)

The ladies head out for a night at the casino later,

and if we can suspend our disbelief that Keisha and Val can roll four lucky sevens in a row, we can also get over the fact that in four seconds flat, Val sees Jerry while they’re out, reconciles with him (hooray! “A bottle of your finest Champagne!” Jerry orders) and then gets re-broken-up with when he can see that she really can’t deal with never being married. (Hey waiter, where are you going with that full glass of champagne my ex-not ex-oh, wait, he’s my ex again boyfriend was just drinking? I was going to finish that.)

Not to mention the fact that this all resulted because Val was trying to cockblock (vagblock?) Chilli.

So back to Val’s relationship sabotage. The thing is, by breaking up with Jerry, she intentionally made things hard on herself. But of course the wrongest thing to do when you break up with your new boyfriend is to call your old one, but Val is so innocent, she doesn’t realize that by calling Quinn, she’s unintentionally about to sabotage what she had with Jerry too. Still, she calls him and of course he’s like “Hello? Hello? Val is that you? I misssss youuuuu.”

And one dinner and two more bottles of Champagne later, Val is drunk enough to miss Quinn too, to the point where she invites him over for ex-sex.

And this is where it gets complicated.

Quinn was waiting for a moment such as this to arise (cough) because he’s still got feelings for Val after all these months. He explains “Jerry’s as big a fool as I was,” for letting Val go, and he’s not about to let her slip away again. And so, after a night of drunken passion, in a moment of vulnerability, he proposes to her.

And before Val can answer yes or no, the only thing more awkward than this proposal being projected on a Jumbotron happens. Jerry knocks on Vals door to tell her he’s reconsidered his marriage rule, and he proposes right then and there, while his beloved stews in the bedsheets she rolled around in with another.

And Quinn walks out like “Who’s at the door, babe?” and Jerry’s like

“Are you kidding me with this?”

Poor Jerry. Poor Val. Poor everyone. So cringey! So awkward! So cliffhangery! I hate waiting!

We’re also going to have to wait to find out just what the hell is going on with Keisha and Malcolm too. After Keisha explains that her Spidey senses were feeling like things with Malcolm were going a little too well, the s— hits the fan when she arrives home to find Winston a.k.a. Agent Law a.k.a. Rick Fox rummaging through every last nook, cranny, and suit of armor in Malcolm’s house looking for…something. Why, is the question. The only things Agent Winston Law Rick Fox will say is that Malcolm has been in cahoots with his ex, Ashley, the whole time he was with Keisha, and it appears they’ve fled the country.

You can tell that Keisha is devastated but not willing to completely sell out Malcolm without knowing all the facts, so she defensively backs him, knowing as little as we do, but it would appear that she allowed herself to ignore her own rules of gambling, the ones she was telling April about.

1. Never risk more than you’re willing to lose.

2. Know when to fold.

3. If you got a gut feeling, go with it. Odds are, you’re probably right.

It would appear that Keisha’s gut feeling about Malcolm being too good to be true was right, but she obviously risked more than she wanted and didn’t fold in time.

And as for April? Well, April might be the only one here with a happy-ish ending. Finally at her breaking point with her boss Wes, she quits her job at the record company. Let’s face it, no one will be upset to see Wes go, and it’s about time April moved on. And wouldn’t you know, her resignation came just in time for Reed to show up and tell her he got her a job at his new label. Even though she’s not sure if she wants the job, she tells him he might be her type after all, so you know, they could still get down to business in some way or another.

April also has a divorce mediation with Darryl and is preparing to lose half her fortune to him when he all of a sudden, after a season of a—holery he has a change of heart. He sees the penitence in her eyes and forgives her.

If only all divorce mediations were this easy. (Also, I secretly want the two actors who played Darryl and April’s lawyers to fall in love in real life, it just seems like this would be a great “The way we met” story).

And with that, season one comes to a close. Two friends’ lives in total disarray, one finally getting her life together, and a whole lot of drama in between. Until next season!

Now that the season is over, we’d also like to say congratulations to the Single Ladies: Single And Liking It contest winners who participated in our Facebook promotion earlier this season and were flown to New York City for a shopping spree, professional photo shoot, and they’ll have their photo appear on digital billboards in NYC and LA promoting the finale to the show. Here’s a quick look at their time in New York…congrats ladies!

[Video by Martin Glenn]

1. Kat says:

when is season 2!!!? i have watched the whole first one with my fiance! i love it!

2. elaine says:

must be just me, but what an aweful way to end the season. only the WG has a meaningful ending and the sistas are all crazy. even in make believe this doesn’t make sense

3. Alexa says:

Jerry is the reason why I watch Single Ladies! I’d love to see him with Val next season.

4. Agent 29 says:

To the Writer, You keep doing what you’re doing that’s what make people come back looking for more. All the other network, does the the same thing and season after season the fan come back. Keep up the good work and to the cast this is the only show I have seem to keep up with Thanks! Enjoy the rest of your summer, look forward to seeing you all and I mean you all next season.

5. Kristen says:

This was the most disappointing season ending that I have seen in along while. Couldn’t they find another way 2 end it. I mean the hottest part of the show is malcolm and keisha. Now whats left? Weve casted doubt on all that chemistry and passion. I am distraught

6. Angela says:

Soooo….I broke into a sweat two proposals at oncee oh lorrdddd I wouldn’t know wat to do but she was about to say yes to Jerry until Quinn came!! See she know what to expect with Quinn cuz they been engaged before but he stood her up. Jerry then been married wat three times and he was testing Val at the hotel when he declined her request…it hit Val hard now she know Karma is a b***h & Jerry got it all in his head dat she just like the rest of them!!!! I think she should go with Jerry cuz honey dats a GROWN MAN 4 u wheewww can’t wait till second season!!

7. gloria says:

I’m glad Darryl decided to leave April with her money. Don’t get me wrong, she was wrong; however, he needs to move on for himself and she will think twice before she ruins her next relationship by being unfaithful. I hate that Keisha fell in love with a man who delibately deceived her. Val – girl, what you gonna do!

8. AYANNA STRICKLAND says:

IT SURE LOOKS LIKE MALCOLM PLAYED KEASHA, AND TOO BAD BECAUSE I LIKED THEM TOGETHER. MY QUESTION IS WHY MALCOLM WHY????

9. CJ says:

Omg when is season 2?! Ay Dios Mio I dont think Jerry is going to take Val Back :( she really effed this one up. Malcolm there has to be more to this and I think that FBI Fox is just playing her against her bf to see what she knows. Come on keisha over that other ugly chick ? …. Don’t believe it.

10. hollywood!!! says:

I just kept coming back to… really… u had to look up disaster???
    Jerry is a flippity flopper…

11. LeLe says:

Loved season 1!!!
    Please open season 2 with a very hung-over Val waking up in bed alone from this nightmare…

12. Audrey says:

To the writters: you have to be kidding me. Val’s double proposal has to be a dream right. She will wake up in the next season saying she will never drink again. Come on man, would a man like Jerry really propose in a hallway while a women is wearing a sheet? The man has it going on. He would do much better than that. Would Val be stupid enough to sleep with Quinn again just because she can’t be with Jerry? Please give her more credit than that. I loved that she would stand up for her wants and needs. If Jerry can’t give her what her heart desires than someone else will. Let her be the example that other women should follow. Do not let her settle. PLEASE!! Do not make her out to be desparate for any man. I know the show is called Single Ladies so you can’t have them happy with a man for long but that ending was just not right. It was just a joke, right!!

13. CatCuz says:

This is the best show every!!! Well written… it keeps us going every week. I hope Val gets a chance to explain to Jerrry and they make a go of there relationship!!!! Quin was wrong he knew she was drunk and love sick over Jerry. But this is the reason I watch the writers are the best. Keisha don’t break I think its not what it seems and the brother is behind it all.

14. Michelle says:

Val was having a nightmare right??? Please bring Jerry back(love him) … What’s really up with Malcolm? I hope he hasn’t &*&@# over Keisha like it appears. Happy for April and Omar. I really love this show. When is season 2?

15. God, I just LOVE LOVE LOVE this show!!! I thought the ending was awesome. I actually gasped out loud when Jerry got down on his knee (similar to the same gasp when I saw the closet Big made for Carrie on Sex and The City 2 lol) Can not WAIT for season 2!!!

16. Tameika says:

I had a feeling Jerry would propose in the end but didn’t have a clue that Quinn would do it first! Thought Keisha was gonna walk in on Malcolm and his ex instead! I love single ladies and can’t wait for the next season!

17. GABBIE says:

Love this show. The perfect summer indulgence, like a can’t put down beach read. So looking forward to Season 2!

18. Rena says:

I was skeptical about the show at first, now it’s something that I dare not spend a monday night without. I ALSO dont think VH1 should wait until next year to begin season 2! You want to keep us interested!!

19. Miss Sharon says:

I looked at the finale last night, I always catch the Single Ladies at 6:00 pm, it was a cliff hanger, I can’t understand why Malcolm lied to Keisha, once she put her heart into him, that was it, I love Omar and his relationship, even though its man and man, it was so nice how his boyfriend, made up with him, Omar is sexy and cute. I feel for Val because, when she was at the casino and her and Jerry made up, she still said some things to hurt him, but she should have never went to dinner with Quinn he don’t deserve the time of day, he had her before for 5 years, and did not want her to be his wife, poor Jerry, I knew he was going to come back, it was just the very next day. She should have went home, I know that’s how they wrote it, just let us know when Season 2 starts, all my friends can’t wait. To the writers and producers and directors, you have a great show. LOVE IT .

20. Jennifer says:

I was really disappointed by the last epsiode. I felt like I was at a club. I couldn’t hear any of the dialogue. Really, I watch the show for the plot, not the music. Please bring back the script instead of a long winded music video.

Thanks.

21. M says:

I just read that Stacy Dash is being fired from this show. If this is true, the producers for this show are idiots! No offense to the other girls, but she is the only one you can’t replace. The others…it even took Lisa Raye a while before she really got into the part.

It’s a spicy, well written show. Not the best actors, but Stacy has her role down pack. Love her!

22. Nikki says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT I JUST READ THAT THEY FIRED VAL ,AND LISA RAYE PLAYED A BIG PART IN THAT, LISA GIRL I KNOW YOU BETTER PEOPLE THAN THAT, YOU ALL WORK SO WELL AS BFF’S ON THE SHOW. ANYWAY I HOPE THIS IS NOT TRUE. THE SHOW IS EXCELLENT, DON’T RUIN THE SHOW BY SWITCHING AND CHANGING THINGS ALREADY………………………………

23. btru says:

This show is totally acting, yet the things our young Black children are to watch is Black women as sluts., Next they’ll have the Bachelor on with Snow White looking for a husband.

24. TR says:

I really think that this a great show. Stacey Dash did a great job as Val and represents for the 40+ year old women. However, the title of the show is “Single Ladies”. Why are there so many intimate gay scenes? I personally do not want to see two men kissing and will not continue to watch the show next season if this continues.

25. shawnie831 says:

That season finale was Hotter than JULY, that was one of the best finales I have seen in some time. Kudos!!!!!!! Val let that champagne go to her head and ended up in a perdicament. I hope Jerry forgives her because there was too much back & forth going on between them. She did not plan to betray him by sleeping with Quinn it was clearly a result of too much alcohol. Plus we only have Quinns word that they slept together and I do not trust him. Keisha should hang on until she recieves clarity from Malcolm. I do not trust that FBI in there without a search warrant. If he truely was going to betray Keisha, why give her a key and start calling her his girlfriend. They could has continued to run there little games on each other. His feelings for her seemed genuine. As for April good for her they needed to bring closure to her situation with Darryl, it was great they did not let it drag on too long. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time that finale had so many crook & turns, it was just sooooooooooo JUICY. See you next season, I can’t wait!!!!!!!!!

26. tasha says:

WOW THAT FINALE WAS GREAT, CANT WAIT FOR NEXT SEASON. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE NAME OF THE SONG THAT WAS PLAYING ON THE FINALE SPECIAL WHEN OMAR WAS ON HIS DATE WITH DEREK?

27. amber says:

damm what its over i cant belive this it was just getting jucy what is going on is kesha gonna give malcom up or what is val gonna get jerry back o lord please come back and is april gonna give it up to reed

28. williams Anna says: