Gavin DeGraw Hospitalized After Being Beaten And Hit By A Cab In Manhattan

We’d like to pass along our sincere wishes for a speedy recovery to Gavin DeGraw this morning, who is currently recovering in Bellevue Hospital after a night in which he was beaten up by thugs and then hit by a taxi. Both the New York Post and New York Daily News are reporting that popular singer, who is in stable condition, was out drinking with a group of friends in New York’s East Village late Sunday night when he was attacked by a group of men sometime around 4 a.m. He suffered a broken nose and other facial lacerations, but somehow managed to escape. Then, in an unfortunate twist, he got hit by a taxi cab, at which point he was transported by ambulance to the hospital.

His reps released the following statement:

“Gavin DeGraw is currently recovering and in stable condition at Bellevue Hospital where he was taken late Sunday night by ambulance after he was attacked by a group of assailants. He suffers from a concussion, broken nose, black eyes, cuts and bruises. The police are conducting an investigation of the attack.

Gavin and his family appreciate everyone’s concern at this time. We have no information yet regarding his upcoming concert dates and promotion for his new album.”

If you’d like to leave your well wishes with Gavin, our August Posted artist, please do so in the comments below and we’ll make sure to send them along to him as he recuperates. Again, everyone here at VH1 wishes Gavin a speedy and full recovery, and we’ll be sure to share more information on this incident with you as it emerges.

East Village thugs beat pop star [NYP]
Singer Gavin DeGraw brutally beaten then hit by cab after night out drinking in East Village [NYDN]

1. Abby says:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Gavin!! Your fans are all thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way…

2. Katie Gunderson says:

Hi Gavin,

I’m astounded at what has happened to you! It’s frightening just how brutal and violent people can be.

Anyways, I truly hope you’re on your way to a speedy recovery. You’re such an amazing and inspiring artist and I cannot imagine the world without your music in it. My prayers and thoughts are with you. I know this comment/post does not even BEGIN to sympathize with what has happened to you, but I am not very good with words.

So, a simple “I’m thinking about you” is all I have to say :)

3. Tini B. says:

Get Well Soon Gavin! I pray you have a speedy recovery, and you can get back to sharing your beautiful gift with the world! <3 much love :)

4. Paula Santos says:

Gavin, It is shameful what these thugs did to you. Hopefully, they will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I hope you have a speedy recovery, and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. – Paula

5. Jane says:

for any fan that has been lucky enough to meet you they know what a humble, nice, kind and unassuming person you are. it is so disheartening to hear of senseless things like these happening to good people. sending positive thoughts your way and wishing you a very speedy recovery!!

6. Deusa Silva says:

Aww man…it’s too hard to hear this about you! We, your Brazilian Fans, are praying for you, Gavin! Man gets better soon. You’re our strength! We want see you soon, happy and with your wonderful smile! We love you Gavin DeGraw!!

7. Mary J says:

peace and healing, & hugs X infinity ~ you are surrounded by love

8. Lori says:

OMG this is AWFUL!!! Wishing you a speedy recovery and future safety. “Not Over You” touches me so deeply – I hope to hear a lot more meaningful music from you soon.

9. Kellie Sheakoski says:

My daughter and I met you in Scranton, PA on Saturday night. Your concert was incredible! I just can’t believe this has happened. Thinking of you and praying for you alot!

10. Briana L. says:

Gavin, I was in elementary school when I first heard your music and fifth grade when I bought your “Chariot” album. Now I’m a senior in high school, and still in love with your amazing music, especially your talent on the piano. I know that before I die, I’ll see you in concert, so I’ll be praying that you recover quickly and fully! We love you and your amazing art!

-Bri

11. Liz Edwards says:

Get well soon Gavin…It’s a crazy world out there..so glad that you are going to be OK..

12. Pattie says:

So sad to hear what happened. I’m sending my prayers that you have a fast recovery. Looking forward to you getting back out on tour! Get better soon!

13. MJ says:

So sad to hear this awful news. Wishing Gavin the best, and hoping he returns to the tour soon. We will miss you terribly in Saratoga tonight, Gavin!!!!

14. JM says:

Gavin–Hope you are better soon! Prayers to you and your loved ones.

15. Karen says:

Gavin,
    I’m so sorry this happened to you, please get well soon. Despite this horrible event, I just know you will come out of this stronger. Sending positive thoughts during your road to healing.

I can’t wait until your new album comes out. I have been a fan since 2005 and feel fortunate to have seen you perform several times. You make so many of us happy. Get well soon.
    Love,
    Karen

16. Barb says:

Hi Gavin.
    I had the awesome pleasure of meeting you 2 hrs ago and you were so sweet and nice to talk to. I have been a huge fan for years and am so saddened by this news. Know that you’re in my thoughts and prayers. Take as long as you need to recover. We’ll be here waiting!

Barb

17. Helen says:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Don’t let you’re attackers shortcomings become your own! You can and will rise above this! God Bless!

18. brandy ryan says:

“If you’re thinking that my life is a hoot and a holler
    from the start of the day, ’til the dark of the night
    that it’s ringin’ like a bell that you only wanna follow
    gotta trust me when I say I’m just tryin’ to get it right

still I think about myself as a lucky old dreamer
    and if you’re askin’ me to tell is it worth what I paid
    you’re gonna hear me say – hell yeah it is
    and I’ll say it loud, I loved it all and I’m not too proud
    I freed my soul, just let it fly

hell yeah this crazy life around me, it confuses and confounds me
    but it’s all the life I’ve got until I die
    hell yeah it is

hell yeah you will
    you’re gonna be okay
    you might get lost, but then you’ll find a way
    don’t go alone, can’t be afraid
    hell yeah this life is here and it’s made for livin’
    and love’s a gift that’s made for givin’
    you give it all the way and have it still
    hell yeah you will

hell yeah you will” ;)

19. Jaclyn Bullock says:

Gavin, i am so sorry to hear that this happened to you :(( i met you a couple of years ago and you were SO sweet,, its terrible that something like this could happen to someone as nice as you. You are my absolute favorite singer and i will be praying for you and that you will have a speedy recovery:) also it has always been my dream to marry you someday so get well soon! lol

20. Emily says:

Gavin!! You are soo loved by your fans, and we all wish you a speedy recovery! May God be with you and just get better soon!! love you!!

21. sheila says:

Thinking of You Gavin and praying for a speedy recovery. Take care~ <3

22. Nakiyia White says:

Get well soon!!
    Your music has gotten me through so much; so i’m returning the favor and hoping that my prayers will get you through this. I wasn’t sure if i would be able to afford seeing you at the Orlando Calling show, but i am definitely going to make a few sacrifices, tighten my budget, and cut out my visits to Chipotle (lol) just so i can see you. I’d give up a chicken burrito bowl anyday if it meant you’d recover from this senseless attack and return to doing what you do so well. I’m sure you’ll come back better than ever and deliver like you always do! Can’t wait for the new album!!!
    Lover be strong :)

23. Lauren J says:

Gavin,
    I am praying for you!!! You are such an amazing singer and songwriter. Keep singing! By the way, please come to North Carolina!
    -Lauren

24. Alicia says:

Many of friends and I hope you have a speedy recovery. I seriously can’t believe someone would do this to you. Lots of Love and best wishes from Andalusia, Alabama!!!

25. Addison Cornwell says:

Woah! Who would want 2 attack Gavin DeGraw, i love your song “I’m in love with a girl” used to sing it all the time, and i still listen 2 your music. I hope that you recover soon, and I hope that this hasn’t affected you in an extremely negative way or anything. I will pray for you.

P.S. I’ve had my nose broken before to, in a wrestling accident, it really hurts, and I’m sorry that all of this happened.

26. Kisha Harris says:

I hope you get better.And punish the person or people who did this to you.

27. You came from the mountain!!! Remember that dude! I’ll never forget the stories you proudly told me that night we hung out with my Sis and ‘WhyNot’ after your first gig here. Let that keep you strong & rise above this – “to err is human, to forgive divine”. Forgive these guys, seriously, for they know no better. We love you down here Gav & can’t wait for you to come tour here again. Sending you speedy recovery & wishing you a kick as support gig for Adam & his gang & the Train boys. Keep trucking gorgeous soul ???

28. Carla says:

Gavin, I can’t begin to tell you how sad I was to hear about the events of this past Sunday. I really wanted to visit you in the hospital, but I figured that would probably not be feasible. You remain, as always, in my thoughts & prayers. Skip, Stanley & I love you & I look forward to seeing you soon. Take care…xoxox
    Carla (The Stingers)

29. Laura Larson says:

Hi Gavin, I just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers as you recover.

30. Jolie Grey says:

You are thought of by many during this time of recovery. Your fans are posting all over FB and Twitter with words of support. We love you and hope you a fast recovery. And I personally hope they find the people responsible for the attack.
    As a side note, you are my favorite artist and I have been a fan since Chariot debuted and have seen you live 3 times. You are an amazing artist and I am so excited for the new album.
    Much Love,
    Jolie Grey

31. Kathleen says:

Gavin,
    I hope you get well soon. Your music is amazing and inspires me to continune living my dream. It is very sad what people in this world will do. VERY SAD. I will pray for you and I hope you get better soon.
    YOUR FAN ALWAYS!
    -Kathleen

32. felicia monroe says:

Dear Mr. DeGraw,

33. Truly sorry such horrific brutality on a fresh and enjoyable entertainer. 4 am not cool in any large city. get well soon!

34. Craig Nabat says:

Hi Gavin,

Hung out with you briefly at Mel’s Diner off Sunset about 4 years ago after a Soli Vodka event. You and I were joking around with two girls at the restaurant. You were a cool guy, with a good sense of humor.

I’ve had something similar happened as a kid and was lucky not to seriously get hurt. It is scary thing to get jumped. Really sorry that happened to you. Best wishes on a speedy recovery. Take care.

Craig

35. Gavin, i hope you are feeling better super soon! i miss you and im so sad i dont get to see you on the 17th in nashville… but i hope you have a super fast recovery and are doing better! i love you!

36. SYT says:

I don’t usually even pay attention to celebrities, but I heard during VH1′s morning videos about what happened to you, and that’d suck for anybody anywhere, so I had to wish you a full and fast recovery.

37. Delaney Blair says:

Hey Gavin!
    Just wanted you to know that you have tons of fans out here that love you and are thinking of you and hoping for a speedy recovery! Your in my prayers and I hope you’ll be up and feeling great so you can go out and be the great entertainer you are!! Love you, Gav!
    Love,