The Basketball Wives Respond To Their Critics: “Children Should Not Look To Reality TV Shows For Role Models”

Basketball Wives has been under the microscope recently, with critics complaining that it portrays women (and women of color, in particular) in a negative light. Shaunie O’Neal has responded to that by saying that though she doesn’t support the “bickering, drink throwing and fighting” she believes that if you look “beyond the arguing and the fighting, you’ll see a group of women trying to get their lives back on track and figure out who they really are.”

When we sat down with each of the cast members at the reunion recently, we asked a few of the other women what they thought of their critics. Not surprisingly, they all defended the show and explained that they didn’t sign on to be a role model. We talked to Suzie, Tami, and Evelyn, who all have children, and each of them makes it clear that their roles as mothers are very different from their roles as entertainers. As Tami says, ” People’s children should not look to reality TV shows for mentors or role models or anyone worthy to look up to…Reality TV is TV, it is there to entertain us.”

Suzie Ketcham

Do you worry that if kids are watching the show and they see you guys behaving badly toward each other you’ll become a bad influence?

That’s a big thing for me, because in season one I threw a drink. And then I threw a bucket. And there were kids at my daughter’s school who were like “I saw you on the show! Why did you throw water on that girl?” And I was like “Oh. My. God. Little kids are watching,” and that’s not who I am and I hated being portrayed like “Oh, that’s the water girl!” and I was like no, it’s not, I’ve never done that in my life. So I did want to show more of me and who I am. I don’t like fighting, I like to have fun. Life is so short. For me it was my dad battling cancer, dying and really trying to enjoy every minute of his life so happy and stress-free up until the end that I was like, wow, I need to enjoy every single day and not let stupid drama overtake me.

Tami Roman

The show has had a lot of criticism lately, as a mother of teenage daughters, what do you say to critics who think the show reflects women poorly?

I say it’s a reality show, it’s no different than Jersey Shore or whatever else is out there. People’s children should not look to reality TV shows for mentors or role models or anyone worthy to look up to. For my daughters, they watch it for entertainment value only. They look up to my mother, me, their teachers, people that are in their lives doing positive things that matter. Reality TV is TV, it is there to entertain us. Within those moments, there are some valuable tidbits that you can take away, for instance, me and my daughters’ situation with their dad. Seeing a family work through that type of conflict and reach some resolve. Evelyn and her father coming to terms with their relationship. There are things you can take away, but for the most party, our show in particular is built around drama and you should watch that s— and keep it movin’, you know? Don’t look up to us in that way. We’re on a TV show. They take hours and hours of footage to make forty minutes of viewing, you’re seeing a snapshot of who we are, you can’t see us in our entirety and you can’t possibly look up to us. You don’t even know who we really are as a whole. How we’re being portrayed is how we’re edited into certain characters so that you can have something to identify with and be like “I like Tami” or “I don’t like Evelyn” and just making characters you can relate to. But in terms of role models, you’re not even seeing the full us.

Evelyn Lozada

The show has come under a lot of fire for portraying women in a bad light, as a mother of a girl who’s at the age where she’d watch the show, what do you think?

You know what baffles me about this? I’m gonna tell you how I really feel about this. There are other shows out there that all they do is fight. Housewives of New Jersey, Mob Wives, and this is how I feel, I feel that because we’re women of color we get the s—ty end of the stick. Oh, they’re being ghetto, meanwhile these other shows are on Good Morning America and on these other talk shows but they’re doing the same thing we’re doing. They curse, they fight, they have kids, why do we have to be the ones to hold that torch and become role models? I think it’s unfair. Do I think young kids should be watching our show? No. I really don’t. There are sexual conversations and cursing, fighting, I don’t think it’s something a young kid should be watching, but honestly, kids do. And that’s for your parents to be a role model and sit there and monitor what you’re watching.

Do you care if Shaniece watches?

My daughter is eighteen and going to college. She watches and she doesn’t look at the show and think “This is how I’m going to handle situations,” she’s her own person and I raised her to be that person, don’t look at TV shows for role models, you have that at home with your family. Growing up, I wanted to be Wonder Woman, or Sandy from Grease, but I didn’t watch TV shows and think wow, this is what I wanted to do. I would sing “Like A Virgin” and I didn’t know what the hell I was singing to, we just liked the song, so I just think it’s so hard when people ask about that, I didn’t sign on to be a role model, I’m not here to do that. If I touch someone’s life because I was a teenage mom or because of my situation with my dad, then great. It’s hard to have pressure thinking “Oh, if I do this, I’m not going to be a role model” I don’t think anyone has that thought process when you’re filming.

1. Sharon A. Howard says:

I want a tee shirt a NON MOTHER F—– FACTOR tee shirt. How do I go about purchashing one. Love the show!!! BOO!

2. calicqutee pittman says:

ok enough of the crutch excuses,, it’s almost pathetic to hear people making up excuses for these women getting on t.v and acting a fool “well the other shows are doing it why can’t we”,,,seriously!! i give credit where credit is due Shaq’s ex seems to try to compose herself but the others just show the true hoodrat in them that they just can’t escape.the drama thing is old we need a new medium for t.v,,hell i tried watching Billy The Exerminator and between him trapping beavers and catching gators his wife is whining that he don’t spend enough time with her now she’s boo hooing and questioning their marriage and i’m simply thinking wow is this what it has all come to??

3. Sophfrmtexas says:

Tami is wrong for sayn lil kids should not look to reality stars as role models thats a crock…some of reality star have done good things so disagree on that and eve is jus dumb using the color angle..forreal Mobwives actually fight and they own it and RHONJ shows fights everything but i dont see alot of drama like there is on BBW. And Suzie shut ur face nobody likes u…UGH..and Shaunie is doing the damn thing making all those ladies look dumb..
    Have a nice day!

4. Alicia says:

I think Tami needs to take it down a notch, and take a page out of Meeka’s book, she probably doesn’t need the entire book but just a few pages. Meeka’s so professional and elegant in her doings, thumbs up to her. Tami and Evelyn are both ghetto and classless, expensive clothes and shoes does not make you who you are, its whats you have inside and what you have inside will be portrayed on the outside and what am seeing isn’t impressive at all. Suzy you need to take some ciplin suspension because surely she have diarrhea of the mouth, stop making confusion didn’t you know telling Tami what Meka said would be wrong, come chicks stop acting high school and be the grown ups you are. Thumbs up to Royce I LOVE HER, she stand up to Evelyn and Jen and she’s not afraid to be out of the circle unlike Suzy, you should definitely keep on doing what she’s doing and if she’s getting a role in Eric’s movie if there is really one, she should definitely go for it, although i don’t really think there is one, I think he is doing this to get back at Jen. Shaunie should keep on with the show and don’t let the critics keep her down, I think sometime she need to say it as it is and acknowledge wrong doings…

5. kiesha says:

ur mama

6. Knia says:

I would have to absolutely agree with people who say the show has a negative representation of these ladies. Why? Because if you dont like the show you dont have to watch it, Also people act like this on a day to day basis. Some people just speak whats on their mind in a different way. Tami believe it or not is what i call a blunt person who has no problem saying whats on her mind: if you listen to her talk you will have some what of an understanding that she is intelligent just by the words she uses. So all these people riding Tami ass EXCUSE yourself. As far as Royce goes I Love her so much she is so blunt and straight forward and she cold give a damn what people says about her. I will say that be careful exactly what you say because she speaks up for herself often.
    Basically what im going to say is if you dont like the show or how the women potray themselves DONT WATCH THE FREAKING SHOW!!!!!! Its not that hard ugh.

7. Kimberly says:

Knia, I must respectfully disagree with you. If Tami really had a shred of intelligence or class, she would know how to handle situations without hurling four letter words and threatening folks with violence. Furthermore, Tami IS NOT real. She’s a hypocrite just like Shaunie, Jen and Evelyn..probably even more so. If Tami was so real, then why won’t she tell the REAL reason why she hates Meeka? She’s bosom buddies with Evelyn, who slept with her ex (and neglected to tell her about it from jump street) but she wants us to believe she’s completely outraged by the fact that Meeka said something about her. Yeah right. Any intelligent person can cut a person to the quick and make them look like a complete idiot without fighting. With all Tami’s threats and loud talk, the only thing she really succeeded in doing is making herself look like a complete idiot. I’m glad Meeka took the high road and told Tami exactly what she is….a classless ghetto hoodrat.

8. fifi says:

i dont think theres nothing wrong with anything thier doing on the show PERIOD!. OK 1ST OF ALL IT IS AN REALITY SHOW AND THEY ARE DOING WHAT THEY DO IN THIER EVERY DAY LIVES, WHY CALL IT REALITY IF ITS NOT. NOW AS FAR AS THE KIDS WATCHING THE SHOW WHATS THE DIFFERENCE IN THEM WATCHING A HIP HOP VIDEO, PLAYING VIDEO GAMES FULL OF VIOLENCE IN IT AND THESE SUPPOSED TO BE FRIENDLY CARTOONS AND CHARACTERS THAT ARE SUPPOSE TO BE POSSITIVE AND THEY ARE NOT.!! I TRULY THINK ITS UP TO THE PARENTS IN THAT HOME.. AND ANOTHER THING JUST BECAUSE BBW’S IS MORE POPULAR THAN THE HOUSE WIVE’S SHOWS WHY IS WHAT THEIR DOING ON BBW’S ANY DIFFERENT THAN THE HOUSE WIVES AND MOB WIVES THEY ARE DOING THE SAME THING WHAT THE DIFF IN THAT NO 1 IS SAYING ANTHING ABOUT THEM. I MEAN GET OFF IT LEAVE IT ALONE UNLESS YOU WANT TO CRITIC ALL THE SHOWS SMH AND NOT JUST BBW’S SHOW WTH! I LOVE BBW’S AND MOB WIVES, AND SOME OF THE OTHER WIVE’S SHOW SO LET IT ALONE!

9. FIFI says:

STOP________TRYING___________TO______________MAKE _________OUT OF_______ NOTHING!! IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT DAMN WATCH IT.! GO LOOK AT THEM BIPOLAR WHITE WOMEN ON THE HOUSEWIVES OR SOMETHING! DAMN!!!! MAKE ME SICK!

10. FIFI says:

@SHARON A. HOWARD HERE IS EVELYNS LINK TO THE T-SHIRTS>>>http://evelynlozada.spreadshirt.com/

11. Regina says:

No, they should not be looked at as role models. Some reality shows actually show women doing classy things, such as LaLa, who turned down BBW. Cussing people out and fighting over the age of 30 is ridiculous. Evelyn can not have an intelligent conversation without cussing, because she is really ignorant. She uses her assets to get ahead. Tami is better than this, but she compromises herself by falling in to the role of the “hard” chick. Suzie, no comment. At least Royce has a book and it is doing really well, now they are all writing books. About what? We already know their life. Jenn needs to grow up and focus on her business. That reunion was like looking at a 1980-1990′s Beverly Hills 90210. If they taught women anything is not to be like them.

12. Felice says:

I think that the show was simply entertaining all black/ African American women do not act like these women and there are some women ( regardless of ethnicity) who do. There are so many reality tv shows that show women acting out in bad taste but that is what it is TV. People get it together in no way shape, form or fashion should children have to look up to television actors and actresses as role models. In this world today you as the parent must monitor what your child(ren) view on tv. Role models are not entertainers or basketball,football ,baseball professional athletes, music artist from Rhiana to Chris Brown, Charlie Sheen and any other actor/actress, teachers/ clergy men& women. PARENTS are the first step to helping there children become who they are. In today’s world we have to be so very careful who we allow our children to look up to. I have never seen so many currupt and criminal police, judges, congressmen/women, child molesting teachers as we have in the world today and you want to focus on a television that is for adult entertainment if you don’t like it CHANGE THE CHANNEL better yet DON”T WATCH!

13. p1tey1 says:

EVERYTHING ON TELEVISION IS NOT FOR CHILDREN!!!! People need to stop being lazy and be role models to their children and stop looking to people on television to help raise them! Now that I have said that……I can’t wait to see somebody kick Tami’s ass!!!! Its obvious that she needs to take a class in conflict resolution, or problem solving. But a good old fashioned ass whooping might do the trick too. And I hope its caught on camera. LOL!!!

14. NHT says:

Wowww, I didn’t realize all of this was going on. Looking beyond the drama you can see these women’s hearts. Most of them are working on and through their issues. That job is tedious enough alone…with the whole world watching and judging…that’s another level ALLLLL TOGETHER! There is a need to shelter our children from so many things these days, but it is impossible to shield them from everything. It is our responsibility as parents to explain and help them process things. We should be their roles models and heroes….not these celebrities whom they do not know.

15. EMILY SMITH says:

I LUV THA SHOW. IT IS VERY FUNNY AND ENTERTAINING. I HAVE NEVER BEEN THE ONE TO LOOK AT ANY STAR AS A ROLE MODEL. I LOOK UP TO MY PARENTS AND PEOPLE THAT ARE NEAR AND DEAR TO ME. AS U CAN SEE, THESE STARS HAVE ALL THAT MONEY AND STILL ARE NOT HAPPY AND HAVE A LOT MORE PROBLEMS. BBW IS NO DIFFERENT THAN ANY OF THE SOAPS THAT CUM ON. THEY CURSE, FIGHT, AND HAVE SEX SCENES. YET NO ONE SCRUTINIZES THOSE SHOWS. BELIEVE IT OR NOT THOSE SHOWS ARE SCRIPTED… I DON’T CARE WHAT THEY SAY. THEY EDITED IT FOR U 2 C JUST WHAT THEY WANT U 2 C. JUST FACE IT AMERICA LUVS DRAMA, THE NETWORKS KNOWS THIS, AND THEY R GIVING THE PPL JUST WHAT THEY WANT. WHAT SUM PPL DON’T REALIZE IS, IT IS ALL ABOUT RATINGS AND NUMBERS FOR THESE NETWORKS. THEY JUST CARE ABOUT THE MILLIONS OF PPL WHO WATCH THE SHOW. PPL ALWAYZ SAY WHAT THEY WUD’T DO, BUT U NEVER KNO WHAT U WILL DO UNTIL UR IN THAT SITUATION. I LIKE TAMI, EVELYN, SHAUNIE, ROYCE . JENN IS OK BUT SHE HAS BEEN GETTING ON MY NERVES THE LAST PAST EPISODES. I DID ENJOY HER PARTY THOUGH. SUSIE TALKS TO MUCH AND SO DOES MEEKA. HOW DOES A WOMAN WITH SO MUCH CLASS RUN HER TRAP AND TALK ALL THE ISH SHE TALKS AND DON’T REMEMBER OR BACKS UP WHAT SHE SAYS……LIKE EVERY1 ELSE HAS BEEN SAYING IF U DON’T LIKE THE SHOW DON’T WATCH IT…. BUT I CAN’T TELL U DON’T LIKE IT CUZ U HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY , AND IF U WEREN’T WATCHING IT U WUDN’T KNO WHAT WAS GOING ON….. AND BESIDES IT DON’T MATTER ABOUT ALL THE NEGATIVISM THOSE LADYZ R GETTING “PAID”.

16. ginha899 says:

All I can say what a hot mess! even though children shouldn’t look to reality stars as role models they do. So, do something positive. Acting a fool on tv is not what that is. If I was related to any one of them I would be embarassed. Too old to be trying to fight! Show kids there are other ways to handle disputes.

17. Gee Love says:

Tami, if your daughters look up to you, they are in serious trouble!

18. TEE says:

for the record, children need not look to any TV show looking for a role model and if they are I blame the parents. There are parent controls for television and computers specifically so children can stay in their place. Regarding the comment about African American Women reality shows, I have watched all REALITY HOUSE-WIFE’S SHOW’S, and personally all of the shows including the ones with WHITE HOUSE WIVES have confrontations, and drinking, cussing, partitng, so what, I believe these shows should be looked at for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSED ONLY! i honestly believe the sisters have more spice and actually bring in the ratings I like them all…..pure D
    entertainment!

19. delredd says:

hell no, none of these ignorant grown ass women r no damm role models.

20. KisJuana says:

is there a way the t-shirts can be sent here in Tulsa, Oklahoma???????????

21. ahh hello says:

SMH it is 2011 and I can’t believe people still have their head in the sand. when are grown women going to realize that you lead by example. this “do as I say and not as I do” dumb thinking hasn’t worked in the last 200yrs and it will never work especially in this technological era. when are women going to realize that we are viewed as a community and not as individuals, why should decent women who know how to control themselves have to bare the affront that comes from being generalized because of ghetto azz behavior from dumb females who can’t think beyond the tip of their nose. yes these women have their money to fall back on, but what about us who have to scratch and claw our way to the top daily just to survive in a world that views us as nothing but loud mouth ghetto rats just because that is all that is ever portrayed of the black woman on tv and the internet? BBW please look around at the atmosphere you are creating and stop throwing sand on the coffin of this community!

22. debra smith says:

They do some pretty rough episodes aired on this show. Tammi has to stop with the beer! Beer and tempers just don’t mix well. Tammi displays a very bad attitude when she drinks.

23. Renne says:

First of all KIDS should not be watching this show!!! If their PARENTS were truly being PARENTS they would be monitoring wht their children watch on TV. I was on the phone with my neice the other night & her step-daughter was visiting. She interupted the conversation to say what are you watching? The reply was Bad Girls. She immediately said I’m sorry you have to turn from that show, my girls age 10 & 7 do not watch that. They are not allowed to. Now that is parenting & being a role model for your children. A lot of parents today are busy doing their own thing. They don’t have time or don’t care just as long as the kids are out of their hair & not messing up the house.

As for the Tami & Meeka situation, I’m not saying it was right for Tami to hit her but, it seems that everyone is choosing to forget that at the beginning of the season when Meeka first appeared she met with Royce. Then she went right to Evelyn & Jen & talked about Royce. She told them a lot of the things Royce said & she even said she wasn’t sure about Royce. She was carrying tidbits back & forth from the very beginning. People seem to have forgotton that. She was trying to find out who she should hang with & it back fired on her. She brought this drama all on herself.

24. carol says:

The show portrays negativity. Period. Whether kids are watching it or not. Just because other shows are doing it doesn’t make it right. It’s not good no matter who does it. And Tami had on so much hair and make-up I hardly recognized her.

25. carol says:

Meeka needs to shut “loose mouth” Suzie up for good. If she (Meeka) and Tami had any good, common sense, instead of fighting each other, they would have jumped on Suzie while she was sitting right there in the middle. I love Meeka though. Team Meeka all the way. Tami is too “hood” for me.

26. Lee says:

shaunie is having this show cause she miss the fame when she was with Shaq. She is the ring-leader of this show but yet she looks and acts so innocent while the other so called lady’s act like damn fools. She is giving some of those beautiful black lady’s a bad name. Part 1 reunion I don’t think you heard a word come out of her mouth. She is playing everyone from the beginning to the end. Believe that…

27. mo says:

Dammm ..its bad enuff we are watching this show, but then they wanna insult our intelligence some more and say, “dont let children watch” !! f\irst off ,they needed a script because they didnt have much to say this season. Their answer to everything was basically a Smack! and violence is not the answer girls. If i would condone anything ,it would be the Jen should have bust Eric on the other side of his head so he could have matching speedknots. Aint nobody looking for a role model on VH1..

28. mo says:

i got dibbs on my ” U R THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR ” T-SHIRTS.
    AND “U aint Even a part of the EQUATION” t-shirts too.. HIT ME UP!!

29. Denise says:

You know what annoys me, they keep bringing up other shows like mob wives Jersey Shore to make an excuse or to cover up there wrong doing, but the shows you guys are referring to get t horrible critics also for the behavior portrayed. Everyone always play the color card when unnecessary and its sad. If you want to bring it to color, you women are all aware of the stereotypes of colored people but yet you guys live up to everyones expectations, to be loud catty, petty, and ignorant. I guess its okay because the other shows do it too? All of these ladies sound stupid! Shaunie how could the public look past the bickering and fighting when thats all the basically shown on the show? Everyone keep saying the scene with Evelyn was good or whatever but in my opinion it just give girls that look up to her or girls period an excuse for there whorish ways. Her story is not rare there are thousands of women with her story even worst so I do not feel like adding that showed a good deed. Tami, your right no children should not look at people on tv as role models especially not you guys, BUT unfortunately that is the way society is and I am pretty sure you know that. No one signs on to be a role model in the industry but it comes with it automatically. It is horrible how you females can sit here and have these excuses Like please stop making excuses because they all sound stupid. Trust you guys kids look at this show and wonder why you guys makes out of yourself even if they do not say it. Clearly the way you guys behave and what you guys do effect you guys kids and Tami you’ve experienced it stating on twitter do not involve my kids
    _ Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent. Used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who excel in it seldom excel in anything else but excuses

30. Yvonne says:

Evelyn hasnt changed, there is nothing classy about the why she’s dressed, her she is talking about being someone’s wife dress like a GROOPIE HOOKER every time you see her, her daughter who is much younger carries herself better then her mother. SHE LOOK LIKE A STRIPPER, hell the woman chad chose on his shoe had a nice body but dress with class. Maybe she really dont know the diffrence between classy and sluty. I guess leopards dont change their stripes. SHE LOOK LIKE SHE JUST GOT OFF STAR WARS. You never she Shau
    nie dressed like that, some people do grow up

31. decatholon says:

people need to stop passing judgement!!!point blank period!!!are you perfect?if not then dont watch tv if your offended by entertainment i like the show and i hope they do another season!!!role models are are designed for children and adults that are seeking a role model!!this show is not called “WATCH THIS SHOW KIDS,WE ARE YOUR PERFECT ROLE MODELS”or”WHO NEEDS A ROLE MODEL’!!lmao people crack me up !!!!its just a show!!!SHOW!!!!!

32. decatholon says:

EMILY SMITH YOU ARE A VERY WISE WOMAN!!!!EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. decatholon says:

I BET IF THE SHOW HAD NO DRAMA AND IT WAS ALL BARNEY LIKE,HOW MUCH DOES SOMEBODY WANNA BET THAT SHOW WOULDNT GET NO RATINGS?IT WOULD BE CONSIDERED BORING!!!!!!!!!!AND TO ALL THE CRITICS ,WHY ARE YOU WATCHING THE SHOW?ARENT YOU INTO IT JUST AS WELL?THAT REMINDS ME OF THE BIBLICAL STORY WHEN THE SOLDIERS BOUGHT THE ADULTEROUS WOMAN TO BE STONED TO DEATH FOR BEING CAUGHT IN THE ACT OF ADULTERY,BUT WHERE WAS THE GUY THAT WAS WITH HER?HE WAS WRONG TOO!!SO MY POINT IS IF THE SHOW IS SO HORRIBLE AND YOU HATE HOW THESE WOMAN ACT,ARENT YOU JUST AS GUILTY ?ITS APPARENT THAT YOU ENJOY THE SO CALLED NEGATIVITY AND DRAMA AS MUCH AS THE FOLKS ON THE SHOW CAUSE YOU WATCHED THE SHOW !!WHY WATCH IT IF ITS SOOOO BAD?

34. Miss Ann says:

Wow, some of the comments that I see are on point. I no longer watch this show as it became too much. I totally agree that Shaunie encourage these women to act as fool. Someone stated that if the show was boring would we watch, maybe not, but for women to expose themselves as they have done for the past two seasons has truly been mind blowing. I dislike Evelyn to the max and did not appreciate her telling Chad that he is not engage to Tarsha from Liberty City, keywords with big meaning. Chad is not a prize to be had and can not wait for the time as to when he shows her his true colors, Jen did have this one right. Oh well enough people will continue to watch and hopes that at not times that someone take it a step to far. Shaunie,folks are onto you.

35. latrell says:

i love basket ball wives i think they should keep on with the show you dont have to watch it if you dont want to so i think you’ll like the drama to so somebody will catch that on the way home

36. delredd says:

2 bad if meeka leave tami said she will not b on the show either. i would love 2 see these 2 4 a rematch no kidding. evilyn,jen, shaunie, & suzi yes these hussie can all go they’ll all mean/bitter. royce can stay i want 2 know if her n tami r still cool.

37. Kelley says:

@ Toni
    WOW !! Here you go again. You seem to be a lil obsessed with your little Royce, you think? CoCo’s topic was “Top 5 reasons Tammy shouldn’t be on next season”. Royce’s name did not come up in any of the 5 reasons. So why address CoCo about Royce, who wasn’t even spoken of ?? The “book” you wrote in the previous “GIF” blog, where you praise her ( Royce) is equally suspect.

38. J'9 says:

@Fifi
    I feel bad for you, reality or not…this is shameful behavior. Name calling, talking about what people wear…

39. Just Stop It!!1 says:

I am extremely disappointed in how most of the ladies of basketball wives have conducted themselves this season!! I have unexpectedly become a reality tv junkie but not even the Atlanta Housewives is this ghetto. Suzy is sooooo phony and WILL DO anything to be liked…absolutely no self esteem. Tammy, all I can ask is why?? Its not necessary…what happen to being a lady? Why so ghetto. And, Evelyn….really?? You guys can say what you want about Royce but all of you can take a lesson from her. She says what she is going to say but she doesn’t have to get sooooo ghetto, low class, and just plain ignorant!! The Housewives of New York are well watched and they just don’t go sooooo low…Beverly Hills, Jersey, etc…, but yet its good. Why ladies? Why Shaunie?? They don’t have to disrespect themselves to the point that they do to get ratings…you may find that you will lose viewers because they are simply ignorant!! and it just doesn’t have to be….You ladies don’t realize that people are laughing at you, not with you!! Self worth is worth more than money for a few seasons…what will you do after? Who are you?

40. angel says:

@ Meeka, You should just walk away from the show. You should have learned the rules of the game instead of fouling out every time Tami step to you. You can not tell us exactly word for word the things you say….honey…it’s not that you are lying.. you are saying so much that you yourself can’t remember what you are saying to everyone. Your part in the show this season was boring and elementary…I would have loved to see you sell some property…do something other than look lost and scared… You were truly not liked in the show…It’s sad!!! I think you are a beautiful woman and you should try to reconcile with the girls and then walk away.

41. angel says:

Evelyn, Shaunie, and Jenn are Super Buddies!!!! They will forever be friends no matter what. Tami is just real…. a little much for me but I do respect her..Royce and Susie can be sweet until they are confronted, then they throw each under the bus. The show is still GREAT!!!!! Meeka is will find her niche after she walks away.

42. AnthonyTillery says:

I was at home watching the show call Basketball wives.

43. Q says:

These ladies are role models rather they like it or not. Yes there’s other show’s that have the same drama, deal with the same issues, but I dare a group of these women to really show the TRUTH? To really get on a REALITY LEVEL and show how were really suppose to be carrying ourselves as women. You can say your oh so real, but to me I see a lot of sad ladies, just being straight up sad. I get so tired of turning on the tv and seeing the same thing over and over. LADIES need to be LADIES! Its ok if you haven’t learned how to be one, its never to late. Honestly I used to be one of those children who watched the reality tv shows and Im so glad Im not into this stuff anymore. These women need to truly know just how much they are loved and valued by their creator. There something greater out their LADIES, and being degraded IS SO NOT IT. If ANYONE needs a resource, take a peek in the Bible and see some REAL WOMEN, you’d be shocked.

44. Gauthier says:

Holy Cow!!! Is that the way it goes down with celebrity-ism? My goodness! What happen to representing and making a stance for the people from which you come? How can an individual be involved with charitable and philanthropic activity and not have the term role models take on definition?
    No doubt that there has to be a good amount of hype added; nonetheless, the pictures painted are not cool at all. It’s amazing what humans will succumb to for whatever reason. Not to mention the stuff we will watch for entertainment. It says a lot about us as society.
    It’s no mystery that controversy and drama sells; watching the news supports that totally!!! I am just blown away by the self-exploitation of the beautiful women participating in that show. You don’t have to let everyone know that you’re from the “hood” if that in fact is where you are from. Coming from the hood, the bad asses didn’t do a whole lot of talking; or, should I call it “hyping”. And the “baddest” of asses are usually short-lived and are pushing up daisies quicker than the others. Being tough embraces good strong respectful rhetoric not all out opposition filled with expletives (Hype), which tends to illuminates inadequacies with the ability to communicate.
    Your participation is not coined slavery and or pandering but the idea definitely supports both. “Nothing has been changed it’s just been modified.” I wish all the Basketball wives, no matter where, wellness and clarity where it lacks. Good luck!!! Be well and love yourselves.

45. kennedy millsap says:

please be nice when you first come on you were nicer but now . if I were dad ibe upset with you.

46. MsChelle says:

role models? Seriously? these women are an embarassment. This show takes racial stereotypes of uneducated, ebonics-using, loud, obnoxious, overly-dramatic, uncouth, violent, materialistic black women and puts it in our face for everyone to see. No, I don’t watch it but many people in the U.S. and outside of the U.S. do and I often hear them talking and laughing at these women making complete fools of themselves,

47. Kee says:

Shaunie is the RING LEADER…..the other ladies are trying to impress others by their money, clothes, attitude, and popularity…and also, just to be in Shaunie’s good graces! I really liked the show in the beginning, but now, not so much. Bullies are losers in my book! Tami need to see two psychiatrists because really….if I were a doctor, I wouldn’t let her walk to the corner store. She is a danger to herself and others!! Sane people don’t carry on like that!! She likes to pick on ladies who appear to be weak….but, believe me, one day she’ll bump the wrong person!! She just might be her own worse enemy!!

48. a non fan says:

Shameful and the fact that you would make excuses makes it more shameful. Tami is a bully with deep issues I fear for her and what she is creating in her life. Evelyn your insecurity and ghetto street tatics says a lot about how you realy feel about yourself. Both of you are poor examples period for anyone. It dosen’t matter about other shows and what they do get it? It’s what you do that we are talking about. Two wrongs don’t make right. Shamful! oh and don’t worry I will no longer be watching. Dissapointed in Shaunie, she is guilty also by association and by not being honest, She meant it when she said ghetto mess everyone sees it. Thought she was different but now I wonder.