Royce Reed On Basketball Wives 3 And Her Thoughts On Returning For Season 4:”I’m Gonna Ride This Till The Wheels Fall Off”

Royce Reed is a polarizing figure. At this point in the evolution of Basketball Wives, she’s only true friends with Tami, her friendship with Suzie is hanging on by a thread and, when we spoke to Jennifer and Evelyn, they all told me that they didn’t actually plan to acknowledge Royce during the reunion. (Hence all the “Did you hear something?” remarks they made whenever Royce spoke on stage.) But Royce couldn’t care less what those ladies think and admits that she tried to play nice during season one of the show, but over time, she learned that the only way to deal with the other ladies was to speak her mind. “I don’t deal with the fake friendships,” Royce told me. “I need a true friendship where we can express our true opinions and be okay with that.”

There were several episodes that you weren’t in this season, do you wish you could have been in more, or were you happy to be away from the drama?

I was happy to be away from the drama, but as far as being on the show, of course you want your air time but I still had my air time even though you didn’t see me because my name was mentioned, and that’s all that matters.

Do you think if there is another season, are you still interested in doing the show if there is another season?

I mean I’m gonna ride it until the wheels fall off for me, but I know that this show isn’t the end of me. I have a lot going on for myself so I can hold my own.

What’s going on with the Eric movie?

I actually haven’t heard anything, I told him to send me the script and I would read it, and if I felt like it was a good move for me and my publicist/manager felt the same way then I would do it, but I haven’t received a script yet. But I told him that send me the script and ill read it and if it’s a good look then I’ll do it, if not keep it moving, I mean, no hard feelings.

Have you talked to him at all beyond that, socially?

I don’t understand Jen’s issue because she assumes things were more than they are…it was really strictly business.

Does it hurt to hear Jennifer always say you’re sleeping with everyone you date?

It doesn’t hurt my feelings because I know it’s not true and also its coming from Jen. She really is not relevant in my life. It would be different if it was coming from a true friend or a family member maybe I would feel that way, but coming from Jen I know that half the stuff that comes out of her mouth is somebody else’s opinion, it’s not her own, and on top of that she just likes to say stuff to start rumors versus it being true or not.

What’s your current situation with Bryan?

We’re still dating, we’re not in that exclusive phase, I wanna make sure that when I settle down the next time it’s something that I really want to do and its with someone that I really see myself with. I do need to date, but me dating doesn’t mean I’m sleeping with every guy I date, and I think that’s where they get misconstrued, because in their lives that’s what they might do, but I wasn’t raised that way, so for me dating is dating.

At the last reunion you annoyed the other women, so what do you say to them saying your acting crazy then and that’s why they were ?

I couldn’t care less what they have to say because I started sticking up for myself and that’s what they don’t respect, they wanted me to continue to let them talk to me all sorts of sideways and I’m not gonna let that happen, when you met me season one I had just met them I was coming into my own, season two I was really starting to show who Royce really was and standing up for myself, and now I just don’t give a damn. But again I don’t deal with the fake friendships, I’m used to being around people who tell me no, tell me yes, tell me when I’m being a bitch and tell me when I’m not, tell me when I’m right tell me when I’m wrong. That’s what a true friendship is to me, I don’t need a alpha female, I need a true friendship where we can express our true opinions and be okay with that.

I get that you and Tami can be real and honest with each other, but looking at it from the outside, it’s weird that you don’t get along with Evelyn because she’s just as open and honest —

No, she’s not..

You don’t think so?

No, because Tami is gonna say what she feels, and she’s gonna stand by it, and her opinion makes sense. Evelyn she doesn’t really know the English vocabulary too well because all her sentences end in the word “bitch,” and she is making t-shirts that degrade another human being, I cant really respect someone who actually thinks that’s an intelligent move, all money is not good money to me. So I would never put them in the same category. Now do they both like drama? We’re on a reality show, but yes, to a certain extent we know what we signed up for. But I would never say that they have the same personality or are in the same boat or anything like that because I don’t think they are.

What’s your current situation with Meeka?

There’s not love, there’s not hate. I believe I told Meeka herself, I believe the way that you came in, you looked very thirsty and it’s gonna come back and bite you. I never told her to pick sides, I told her to make her own opinion and base it off of that. I didn’t owe her anything, I owed her respect and I deserved the same thing. But I think she got what was coming for her, I’ll put it that way.

Will you talk a little bit about your career outside of the show?

Like I stated before, I don’t need this show to survive. I don’t need to be friends with Shaunie in order to survive, she doesn’t own the air. In terms of everything that Royce is doing, I can hold my own. I have a book that’s out; I have a children’s series that’s coming out at the end of the year, we’re working on doing a fitness video, and I’m working on a stage play that’s gonna start touring, we already did one city, I’m gonna go on a book tour, I’m gonna go on a lot of auditions, and outside of that, I’m a mom first. I have a lot of stuff that is going for me where I can make a name for myself outside of Basketball Wives.

Is it hard to do the show, and portray yourself like this is my reality and not have your son on it?

Yeah it sucks for me, that’s one of the main things that gets to me at times, and a lot of people don’t know I’m a mom and he is my heart, I’m a mom first I’m with him almost all day every day. I spoil him almost to an extent that my parents don’t like. That’s my heart and everything I do, I think about if he is going to be proud of his mother. I will never sit on my behind and wait for a check each month. I’m gonna be on my grind and be on my hustle, and let him wake up and see his mom making something of herself, so he’s not just saying oh my daddy is this, well guess what my mommy is this.

So if you ever did decide I’m gonna leave this all behind, what would you take away from doing the show?

Well after this show is done I’m gonna either have a show of my own, or your definitely gonna see me in the lights but my major was theatre arts and I’m very good at it, not to toot my own horn but toot toot! I’m a actress first. Outside of that I’m extremely intelligent and I can always hold my own and I don’t need to be sitting around drinking and talking about another person. I can be enhancing my own career. So again when this show is over and done with, I plan on doing movies, I plan on going to auditions, and becoming part of a legacy. So I just want to make sure when I look back five or six years from now and I see this show and I’m like “Man, look where I started and look where I am now.” It’s definitely not gonna be the end of me. I have too much to show the world, too much talent, I don’t want to just give it up because of Basketball Wives.

So when you’re watching scenes that you weren’t in, like when Tami and Meeka or Evelyn and Tami were fighting, what do you think of the way they are handling their situations?

Well I always say I’m a lover not a fighter but I will fight for what I love. When it comes to family and at times when it comes to friendships I know your emotions can get the best of you. The situation I had with Evelyn, I didn’t go in with the preconceived notion that I was going to fight, but I had to defend myself, I wish it wasn’t taken that far, but I’m not gonna let anybody punk me. I know there are other ways to handle yourself but again when your vocabulary isn’t really that extensive, the only thing that you can do is lash out in that type of way. Dealing with Evelyn, it’s “bitch bitch bitch bitch” or she’s throwing something. I tend to have a more vast vocabulary so I can get personal with my words, my vocabulary, but she cant necessarily do that.

Did you expect that to happen with her, did you expect the drink to fly?

I didn’t expect it, but it definitely didn’t shock me. But I have fast reflexes; I’m a dancer, and a former competitive cheerleader, so obviously being thrown in the air you know that you have to get caught. I kinda saw her in the corner of my eye getting ready to do something, so I said let me dodge this. I always say I’m not ghetto but I’m hood, what I mean by that is I can speak very well, I’m very intelligent I have my degree but I’m street smart. So I’m always prepared.

What do you think about Meeka filing a suit against Tami?

Tami is my girl but I have to see it, I haven’t seen that fight I haven’t seen what led up to it. I know there are times when people can say things to you that just trigger you. So as far as her filing the lawsuit I mean if that’s what she feels like she needs to do, then that’s Meeka. There’s still people that think I should file a lawsuit against Evelyn but for me she missed, if she had landed I probably would have kicked her ass and still filed a lawsuit..that’s neither here or there.

I know Tami said if Meeka is on the show next season she won’t be on it, do you feel the same way?

There’s nobody that’s gonna take money out of my pocket…I’m gonna stick to my opinions and I’m gonna say what I have to say and what I feel. Nobody is gonna make me sell my soul, nobody is gonna make me be someone I’m not just so I can fit in to their bitter-ass circle, if I’m on next season I’m gonna be in it. Who they have me filming with, I’m still gonna be Royce, what you see is what you get. If I do another season I hope they show exactly who I am in terms of what I’m doing in real life, versus me just fighting with people or arguing with people, ’cause I think even as a whole we are a lot more than that, if that’s what they want to show then I don’t know.

Outside of the women that are on the show, do you know other wives other girlfriends and what is their reaction to the show?

I do know some other wives and other girlfriends and ex girlfriends their reaction to the show is bittersweet, some of them love it some of them love it just as entertainment. The others are like that’s not how this lifestyle really is and you have those who are like y’all are putting all the business out there. When they speak to me they are like you know what Royce I respect you ’cause you never changed who you were, you never really been into all the glitz and the glamour but you have a bank account. The fact that you can hold your own against these women who have such strong personalities I respect the fact that you’re still Royce. I’m gonna be me 100 percent of the time.

1. Terriedc says:

Royce – You are my favorite because you can do the drama but stay true to who you are. I enjoy you on the show because I believe you keep it real; although, I would never have you friends with Tami.
    As for Jen and Evelyn and Shaunie, it is soooo High School to do the do you hear something thing? If you are for real, then address the issue.

2. SHARON says:

I dont even know how shorty Royce….even got into this program…….she is not a basketball wife or even an ex…..she’s a booty shaker. I dont care for her, she is nothing but an instigator!! I hope she does not come back for season 4 She thinks her stuff dont stink, she has no idea what the real life is. Never Married, NO KIDS…..once this happens, she will grow up. I view her as a little s…, just on the show for money….HOW DID SHE GET ON THE SHOW JUST CAUSE SHE WAS A CHEERLEADER, PROVOKING THE MEN??????

3. Anyway... says:

Damn, she’s full of herself! She has a problem with Evelyn selling t-shirts that degrade another human being, but she spends ALL her time publicly degrading her cast mates. What’s the difference? She spent the entire interview taking swipes at the other women. Even questions that were unrelated to them, she STILL found a way to get her snarky digs in. SMDH The more she talks, the more she shows how insecure and jealous she is. She’s a self-absorbed narcissist, who always wants to be the center or attention, and she’s mad because the other ladies outshine her. The way she played herself at Luda’s pool party shows how desperate she is for the spotlight. I suspect her fan base is also full of basic chicks that resent pretty, popular girls.

Not ghetto but hood? Really? Evelyn missed? Really? Royce looked all wet then, and she still is. LOL Girl BYE!

4. I Think that they should show those clips of Tammy saying what she did about Evelyn Jennifer, and Shaunnie, also something else she said, and lied about it. Tammie is a Big liar, and some of those pass episodes will verify that. She also like to be in the mist of confusion, she eats it up.
    [But thats what Hood Rats do] As for Suzie, She is a lost cause. She really need to keep her mouth shut. They do not care about her. Shaunie Evelyn Jennifer, I feel sorry for you, because all three, are bitter confused females. Meeka, I really didn’t see a whole lot wrong with her. She gossiped, just as much as the rest of them. I see them all as Backbitting Gosippy, evil women.
    Get a Life, and stop being jealous of the ones that have one.

5. ce says:

Royce you are my fav. I love that you are a strong black woman and can hold your own. Many people hate you because you speak the truth and hold your own against the man eve,big lip Jen and fake shawnie. Royce contiue to do you. You don’t have to lay on your back for money as Evelyn. You don’t have to be a follower as jen to be relevant.

To all the haters on here Royce is not a wife and so is Eve and suzie. Get your facts together. Royce is not a follower of Tami. They both are real woman and has mutual respect for one another.

6. Rosalind says:

Hattie and Anyway…..

What show have you two been watching????????

7. T in Texas says:

Be you & be true ! Don’t listen to crap on here about anything . Get out of here before the show ruins you .

8. delredd says:

yeah, royce come back on the show u was the only cute 1.

9. Anyway... says:

@ Rosalind
    The exact same show as you, but I’m apparently much more observant than you. Royce is no victim. She’s a spiteful, angry, twitter crazed HATER. She only met with Eric to spite Jen. She knows damn good and well that NOTHING would pan out from Eric’s movie offer. How surprising that she hasn’t received a script yet.
    Jen, Evelyn and Shaunie are doing the right thing by ignoring her simple @ss. Let her argue with herself. How is she standing up for herself when no one is arguing with her? She wanted to meet with Jen AFTER she met with Eric. She should have spoke to Jen about it when he first approached her, BEFORE she met with him, just as Susie did. But she didn’t because she’s shady and trifling.

10. Justtalkin says:

Royce, please don’t come back for season #4. You suck! And, yeah you are a non–factor!
    What do you do, boo? Eve was right.

11. notsosweetv says:

Drop Suzie a.s.a.p!!!!!!

12. Evelina says:

Royce you go girl. Evelyn talks too much trash. She pretends to be classy but comes out trashy. Then Tammy she is straight out ghetto!!

13. CHYNA says:

I have a question…since when did Royce owe Jen a damn explanation about meeting with Eric when they haven’t been speaking since the end of season 2? Jen is the damn stupid one who needs to “kick rocks” because nobody owes her a thing, certainly not Royce who she has been very fake with from day one(even while pretending to be a friend in her face). And the last time I checked they all STAY on twitter so that’s another argument I really don’t get. I said this before all the females that get with women like Evelyn(phony, bitter, haggard as hell in the face, and superficial) and Jen(scary, follower, shallow) don’t know real from real fake and that’s why they hate a woman like Royce(who will speak her mind regardless and hold her own) but love them type of characters. Royce continue on and the blessings will come . You already have a lot more than the others….think about it.

14. Bridgett says:

And if I’m not mistaken Royce is no different from Suzi who has children by an ex-ball player….Royce also dated Dwight Howard but alot of people don’t know that cause she can’t really talk about him!

15. lawyerchic says:

Woooowwww….i guess i was too real for them, they erased my post. it was the truth boo. Do ya thing Royce. guess thats all vh1 will let me say..

16. Lynne says:

Royce, you and Tami are the only reason I watch the show. I’m glad you defend yourself and don’t let them run over you. It’s sad when genuine people like you get mistreated. Suzie is not a peacemaker, she instigates half the drama on the show. And, you didn’t own Jen anything since you guys weren’t friends or even on speaking terms. They’re just jealous like you said. That’s why they antagonized you in Spain for being sick and taking medicine so you could feel better. They’re shiesty, immature women, that are nothing but messy! Keep doing you and keeping it real!

17. Seventh West says:

Royce returning to BBW would b proven once again fruitless. Trust, Shaunie that Royce gets minimal air time. But then again, as long as the “circle of haters” continue to trash her name, she will be relevant. So in a sense it’s synomous to air time.

The only problem I have with Royce is that she lied about seeing the fight between Tami & Meeka. Although she was excluded from traveling to Rome, the cast do watch the season after filming.

What’s troublsome for me, is that Royce isn’t keeping it 100% out of her loyalty to Tami. Her statement that “Meeka got what was coming for her,” contradicts what she “supposedly” stands for. In a sense, she’s rationalizing Tami & the mean girls bullying Meeka. Bullying is never cool.

18. Elo says:

I love how Royce tries to take this high road and say that “all money ain’t good money” in reference to Evelyn’s shirts, but yet she’s determined to stay on a show in which her intelligence is challenged weekly by her immaturity. As my momma would say, or Tammi, Sat your black ass down, Royce.

19. delredd says:

tami has turn on royce 4nothing, just b-cuz evilyn & jen don’t like her. 2 bad that evilyn & tami ur friends i was likeing tami morer when her 7 EVILYN WAS NOT FRIENDS AT ALL. tami needs 2 get a mind of her own and of course weakass jen. u both needs 2 stop followering evilyn ass.

20. Eloisem says:

You know, I really couldn’t see Shaunie’s beef with Royce from the get go. In Spain she was ill, so she stayed away from the group. Maybe there was more to it than that which caused Shaunie not to want her to go to Italy. It wasn’t shown. Meeka was not on a few outings in Italy, so what was the difference? But then again, Shaunie did make the statement that inviting her on the trip was a mistake. In my book, Shaunie is a REAL business woman/friend/counselor/peacemaker. So anyone that disses her, in my book, judging from what I see and read about her is a HATER, pure and simple. I do like Royce, though. Maybe it is because she inspired Jen and Evelyn to work at that homeless shelter in Season 2. I think that was the season. I just stumbled upon this show one day and was totally impressed, mainly because it protrayed beautiful women that took very GOOD care of themselves, were very comfortable living in the style they were living in and just happened to be women of color. Never ever any digs about being higher educated, or what sorority or social club they were or are now associated with, just living a VERY GOOD LIFE materially. Oh, and definitely not chasing men (too much confidence in themselves for that). So for all that, I am so to speak hooked on BWMiami. I wish Royce all the best as I do all the other women on the show. I just hope Meeka does not return….SHE CAUSED ALL THE DRAMA. I really couldn’t believe her on tv. Where did they get her? But for Evelyn, Jennifer,Royce,Shaunie,and my Tami; LIVING WELL REALLY IS THE BEST REVENGE.

21. jeanice riley says:

what she said mite be ture u put all these,female together and this is what you get.

22. kim agoro says:

I am very disgusted with Tammy. She posed as a REAL chick but when she lied about the “BLACK” comments she just showed that she is two faced. I hope she realized just how what she said could damage the very young girls she is supposed to be guiding. At this stage she should not be guiding a dog because her behavior is shameful. I hope she will change because she has the most real side that girls will listen to. The same goes for Shaunie. She has no class just cash. Meeka needs to reprioritize and remember that she is the only one who actually has any legitimacy on the show….keep your head up colored girl! Jennifer you were stupid, that man and marriage are worth saving! Evelyn you are beautiful but trashy time to change!

23. Faith says:

No Royce is not perfect and she has made her mistakes but she is the most realest person on the show. She is not afraid or a follower and people are hating on her for it. Keep it real Royce and stand 4 what you believe.

@ Anyway, she can be full of herself because she does have MONEY. The only person that can outshine her is Shaunie because she has the show and money. Evelyn lives in an apartment and is part owner of the store. If Evelyn really wanted Royce she would have gotten up and when to her like Tami did her. Come on Anyway really women don’t go around throwing stuff that get up and FIGHT.

@ Sharon Royce got on the show because she was a BB cheerleader. Evelyn is not a BBW, Suzie is not a BBW and they never were. She is part of the BB life b/c she has a BB child in case you didn’t know it BOO. So yes she do have a child!

Royce has a book out, house that is paid for, a children’s series that’s coming out at the end of the year, and soon a fitness video. So you all get it right and stop hating on her, the woman has class.

24. jj says:

Royce, you are the Koolest one on the show. I’m glad you stand up for yourself. Evelyn and Tami are just some angry, evil bypolar B’s. Jen is Evelyn little puppy.

25. Akeshe_25 says:

Royce you are my favorite, you always keep it real. As far the show I think that it is very degrading to us as black women. Seems to me that Shaunie could have shown more positive aspects to the show then all of this mess. We as black women, we are more conservative, we are more than just Ghetto(a stereotype). Shaunie is very fake, she is no ones real friend. She lets yall be portrayed as Ghetto. You didn’t see her acting a fool, when she confronted oh girl, that sister slept with shaq. Royce I hope you leave the show and find something more productive to do with yourself other than reality television.

26. Shiloh says:

Royce, just don’t say anything about Evelyn…..just talking about her gives her more attention. and talking about how intelligent you are can come across condescending and annoying. People who are intelligent don’t have to constantly remind people of their intelligence and point out someone elses lack of intelligence…..its also a little immature.

27. Sexyniq28 says:

@lawyerchic I agree they erased my comment also!! I’m bugging at how certain ppl on here is trashing Royce but finds Evelyn and Jenn behavior fine! Ppl on here r crazy if anybody thinks the way that Evelyn and Tami acts is appropriate I know this world is done!! For the person that said Royce didn’t talk to Jenn until after the fact ur wrong! First, Royce doesn’t owe Jenn a damn thing they’re not friends! Second, the way the show is edited Royce tried to talk to Jenn first before meeting Eric and Flenn (Evelyn’s flunky) got up and left! Also Tami’s behavior is truly unacceptable she’s to old for that and she can’t be trusted! Suzie is no peace maker she keeps drama stirr’d! Royce don’t change continue to do u and let the haters hate it will keep u known!

28. Lisa says:

Royce reminds me of a little nerdy boy. She tries so hard, and all her bickering is just to try and stay relevant on the show. She’s boring and a plain Jane who acts like shes taking the high road when in reality, she just simply doesn’t fit in.

29. Its so funny to me that tammi was meeka last year and now she acting like they treated her good in the beginning. she kisses up to the popular girls. The show is getn to phony. they all talked bout tami hair and nails last season.

30. Dee says:

Royce is an ex-girlfriend of Dwight Howard and the mother of his son. Dwight did not want to himself or his son with her mentioned on the show. He took legal action to prevent this and won. There is a gag order by the courts preventing Royce from mentioning her relationship with Dwight, his name and their son. She has just as much right to be on the show as Suzie, or Evelyn or any other’s because at the end of the day if you didn’t marry the basketball player then you were a girlfriend.

31. sue says:

Royce is a hot mess….she’s a groupie, opportunist and tricked dwight howard and has a son with him…he wants nothing to do with her, and she always worried about someone else’s panties and who their giving um too.
    Tami….ghetto….to the point that her daughters didn’t want her as their manager because they knew she would ruin it for them….there is a time and place for everything…she has no filter.
    Meeka…who?
    shaunie-adore
    evelyn and jenn- Love yall!

32. TrashDefendingTrash says:

Ohhh, Ms.Reed can pass judgement on her cast mates but she wants to cry foul when Draya from Basketball Wives L.A/ stripper/ arrested for child endangerment when she left her son home alone while she went out of town to do a strip job. Ms.Reed didn’t see the wrong in that, that she saying they passing judgement on the girl when it’s been in the news and the case is still on going? Hell the child called the police himself because he didn’t know where she was and wanted her to come home.I guess we can expect that from a mother who allows her child to ride a garage door so she can record it to show off on twitter. Never mind the danger she is placing him in. This mindless twit thinks she can write a childrens book?