Basketball Wives L.A. – Episode 5 – When Your Back Is Turned

Weee! I’m about to get my a** kicked!!!!

As an aside, the “Whoa” at the end of the Basketball Wives theme song is up there with the Law & Order ga-gong and “Live from New York, it’s Saturday night!” as one of those magical sounds that I get kind of giddy to hear every time, even though I know it’s coming. ANYway.

In this recap, allow me to play devil’s advocate on behalf of Draya for most of this, because as much as I’m still on the fence about her in general, I feel like this issue of her wedding invitation has gone too far. She didn’t go, she didn’t feel welcome, and if she did go, let’s face it, it would have been awkward for everyone. But no one is letting it lie and I feel the need to defend her.

Over at the…wedding after-party(?) everything is going fine until someone brings up Draya, or more specifically, Draya’s absence, again. They’re all annoyed, Jackie most of all, when she explains “She made a big deal out of coming.” Laura also jumps to Jackie’s defense, encouraging her to brush Draya off (but as we’ll see later, Laura has her own issues with Draya that she deals with in the boxing ring).

I don’t want to be the a-hole here, but if anything, Jackie made the big deal out of inviting her, but Draya didn’t seem to make a fuss about coming. Girlfriend knew all along she wasn’t planning to go, as far as we can tell. Here’s how little she cared: she actually chose to get a bikini wax instead of going to a free party in Vegas. Jackie made a point to tell Doug and apologize to him for Draya’s absence too, and you know he was like “Which one’s Draya again?”

The other situation to be dealt with at the wedding disco is Imani‘s relationship breakdown.

After seeing Jackie and Doug’s commitment to each other, she starts to cry, explaining “I think I gave my ex all of my love, and I don’t think I have it anymore.” Imani needs an intervention with Steve Ward right now, I think. She’s really stuck on this “no more love to give” thing. “Personally, I think either you need to have sex or find an activity,” Laura says, which must be why they all head to mixed martial arts together later.

Fortunately for Draya, she really seems to have a bond with Malaysia, who has managed to finally get on good terms with just about everyone. Malaysia feels partially responsible for Draya not going to the wedding, but she’s also honest about the fact that it was she, and not Jackie, who didn’t think Draya should be invited. Draya appreciates that honesty but is still like “Why is anyone talking about me at all??” and Malaysia tells her “You are a topic when your back is turned.”

"Talk your s--- now. I'm here. And I look cute."

Back at the Barnes/Govan manse, Gloria and Matt are having a serious discussion about getting needles stuck in your face. Not only does she want Botox, but she wants to have a Botox party. “Botox nowadays is seriously like going to get a manicure/pedicure,” Gloria says, not realizing that while these beauty procedures are indeed common, mani-pedis don’t render you expressionless, and what good is a party when you can’t tell that your guests are having fun? Matt feels similarly hesitant, but then they devise a plan that would sound like prostitution were it not for the fact that they live together and have babies already, where Matt will pay for this party as long as Gloria will be “on-call” for sex for three days. They shake on it.

Done deal.

Speaking of sex, Imani reveals at the gym that she hasn’t had any in years during their small group training session.

This is shocking to Laura and Gloria (and the rest of the world) and Laura makes it her mission to find someone to give it to Imani. “Don’t get it twisted…I make love to me better than anybody I know,” Imani says to prove that at the very least she’s not dead inside. Laura is also a little horn-dog at the moment but she’s getting her kicks by flirting with their trainer.

Draya and Jackie meet to hash out the wedding situation and immediately Jackie makes Draya work her defense, calling her out for not standing up to greet her. Again, I understand manners and whatnot, but at a certain point, it becomes obvious that you’re desperately trying to find things to hate about this girl. So Draya explains her situation, that she didn’t feel welcome at the wedding because the invite was just a verbal one and it wasn’t a very convincing verbal one either. Jackie’s expression all through their meeting is one that implies she’s not having any of it

and she explains that “Every time we’ve invited people, 90% of the time they all show up, so Draya should have taken that as a huuuge invite and made sure she got there even if she had to ride a pony.” Yeah, but 90% of the time, do you treat your other guests the way Draya feels treated? I am playing devil’s advocate and I’m just askin’!

“I’m gonna stop being so nice to these women, ’cause they’re not nice to me,” Draya says after lunch with Jackie.

At last we see Malaysia getting to work on her jewelry-for-kids line called Three Beats (as in the heartbeats of her three kids, aww). The price point of these toddler jewels is a reasonable, mid-range $700-$3,000 per piece. So to that, I ask mid-range for who, exactly? Oh right, for people that buy this type of thing.

I don’t want to sound all Debbie Downer but this just sounds like a line of $700-$3,000 choking hazards.

The women all meet later for MMA (mixed martial arts) or as we can casually call it: an opportunity to take our aggression out on Draya. Laura, who started therapy in this episode to deal with her anger issues, just found out that Draya’s been communicating with someone and telling them all the details of Laura’s life. She’s not really interested in being someone else’s fodder for gossip, so she goes into this thing with a need to pummel. Obviously the anti-anger therapy hasn’t fully absorbed yet. “I really feel like I wasted an ass-whooping on Malaysia,” Laura says just before she gives an ass whooping to Draya. Before they stepped into the ring though, Draya showed off her prowess on the pole. Yes, the stripper pole.

Or as Malaysia says, “Stripper poe!” The way she says it is adorable.

Unfortunately, Malaysia’s not quite as good on the stripper poe as Draya.

Once they get that out of their systems though, it’s time for Draya’s beating, courtesy of Laura. Despite Draya’s request that her boobs be spared, lest they break into silicone puddles, Laura goes in hard. Oof.

Next week: will Draya walk out of the ring, or will she have to be carried?

1. The Truth says:

Gloria is young and insecure go sit down, I like Malaysia but she did tell Draya about her being invited to the Wedding Extravaganza. Jackie why are you upset acting like Draya is your best friend I believe because of your personal life you are taking your anger and hurt on someone who you think is fragile and thats wrong she does not owe you any explanation. The only person you should have been focused on was your husband being their and seeing your mother everyone else should be irrelevant i mean i did’nt see none of your siblings there. Imani stop with your drama! Laura you ok but stop agreeing with your sister all the time because she is not always right!

2. ELIZATHBE says:

DRAYA,I LOVE YOU……..I’M YOUR # 1 FAN ON BASKETBALL WIVES OF LA

3. prettygirl says:

Laura I bet you wont fight shaunie like that

4. BBW Fan says:

Gloria… please stop! I like you on the other BBW series, but I feel like you are the bully! Don’t forget that you were in Draya’s shoes. Let that girl live her life! I wouldn’t have showed up at the wedding either. That is an intimate moment between Jackie and Doug. Not time for you to sit around and wonder were she was. And these are supposed to be classy women? Imani… you are so judgemental… (Probably the reason why you’re still single…) When are these women going to realize that Draya doesn’t care what they think. She’s doing her. I like Malaysia a lot and if you ask me she and Draya are 2 of the realest on the show. What happened to Tanya and Ron Artest’s (I mean Metta World Peace’s) wife?

5. Black Ice says:

Just remember Laura sparring the ring,with padded floors and full on protective gear,is one thing. Handling your business on the Street is something esle entirely. So don’t let those little sparring matches with ya sister,and Draya,blow ya head up. Because we all saw your little fight with Malaysia on the first episode, Malaysia was getting the upper hand. And if the security at that restuarant weren’t so JOHNY ON THE SPOT you would have gotten ya ass handed to ya on on of those dinner plates.

6. Shelly09 says:

Them old hagsare just hating on Draya!!! None of them are better or different that she is. They need to sit their washed up asses down and let Draya do her thing. I am sure like MANY OTHER PEOPLE OUT THERE, Draya is the only reason I watch the show. VH1, if Draya goes I don’t think that lousy show will make it to season 2.

7. EB says:

These women are a mess. Let’s start with Imani. Honey please. Why the heck are you crying at the club. You don’t have a man because your judgmental, condescending and just plain rude. Jackie boo, your are not Queen of Sheba. Get off your high horse. She didn’t come to your wedding because you don’t like her and your little committee doesn’t like her. Why should she waste her time trying to prove herself to the likes of you all. Malaysia I think your too cute hun! Gloria, it’s funny how you seemed to grow some balls when you got to LA but you were a straight sucker in Miami. Laura you are full of it and that’s why you been through so much with your baby-daddy. You talk so much about others, but don’t want to be talked about. You’ve said something about Draya behind her back every episode. Draya baby ALL these women are top priority haters. You should feel good knowing they waste so much of their breath discussing you. Do you boo!!!

8. interesting says:

how is it that the most likeable member of this cast is…. DREYA? under normal circumstances, i’d never root for the stripper/men’s magazine “model”/groupie/jumpoff, but the rest of this cast is so detestable (malaysia aside) that i’m left with no choice but to like dreya, who’s currently coming off as the bullied victim. i’m sure she’ll eventually get on my nerves too, as most women of her kind do, but 5 episodes in, i’m TEAM DREYA. i didn’t like gloria in miami and like her even less now. she’s incredibly arrogant and i thought it HILARIOUS that matt offered her the botox party in exchange for sex. ummm, hasn’t that been the basis of the whole relationship? laura is just gross. not only is she back with gilbert arenas, but i 100% believe she slept with shaq after seeing the texts/emails. her unnecessary over-aggressiveness in the ring was a weak attempt to redeem herself after malaysia bust her in the mouth. FAIL! imani makes me sick. she’s judgmental for NO logical reason. she has a cemetery in her closet compared to dreya. what’s the REAL reason her wedding never happened? since she’ll never tell, visit lipstick to get the real story. jackie needs to worry about doing right by her daughter and two grandchildren instead of worrying about dreya attending her SIXTEENTH wedding. i’m just sayin’. the LA cast makes the miami girls look like nuns. SMDH

9. Lynn says:

Draya, keep doing what your doing. These women are haters to the upmost of haters. They act like they are all innocent and sweet. They all have stories on the website so whats the big deal ladies. Imani, how can you be engaged to a man for 9 years and no marriage. He presented you with a prenup on your wedding day. Draya you need to do your homework on these women also. Laura trapped her young exhusband, Gloria got her butt whipped by Matt, now you all bad. Jackie is insecure with herself and her marriage.. She’s so worried about a divorce, she gets married every year..(Crazy..Malaysia, you and Draya are about the realist on this show.

10. Notmeu says:

I just had to post today. First off…Where the heck are Tonya and the other wife from the first episode. Did they realize how over the top they were both acting. Moving on…Gloria stop it. You want to be Shaunie O. so bad. You are not the queen just a boring replacement. Really. Laura, Laura, Laura…why are you mad at the world. You laid up and made all of those babies with all of those trifling a$$ men and now you are in a 2 bedroom on a reality show and you are wondering why people are talking..REALLY?? Take a moment stop drawing your eyebrows and get a job. Jackie – Doug and anyone who has ever come in contact with you has done you a disservice by feeding into your belief that you are anything but ghetto, bossy and annoying as he!!. You have implied more than once that people should be happy to be allowed to be in your hag like presence. REALLY?? You are an old bully and jeez stop that tired a$$ ponytail. It puts 15 years on you. Malaysia you are a cutie and I appreciate the fact that you keep everyone at arms length. You were going to be the common enemy for these unfortunate looking women until Draya came on the scene but I think you would have given them a run for their money. Imani…just stop. Everyone time you open you mouth you make a full of yourself. Get some age appropriate hair. Draya for all of the ladies on this show looking down thier noses at you I believe you have shown the most class with your treatment of others. Now it’s time to check these chicks…no more Ms. Nice Girl…REALLY!

11. interesting says:

in addition to refusing to sign a prenup, imani also lied to the man she loved soooo much about her children and her age to keep him. she had stephen jackson thinking she was 8 years younger than she actually was. also he allegedly didn’t want to deal with a woman who had children. she had 2 kids at the time, but lied and told him she only had 1. she’s offended by dreya’s actions but denied her own child for a man. OK. it’s also said that she dumped her child off with another basketball player’s wife and disappeared for an extended period. GIRL BYE!

12. R. Parker says:

Laura is worse than Tammi. Draya needs to stay as far away from them heffers as possible. Laura thinks she is bad with her messy looking self. Draya needs to go on about her business because they will never accept her and I wouldn’t even want to be in their circle.

13. Maria says:

First and foremost Draya owes nothing to these raggedy chicks. If Draya didn’t want to go to the damn wedding she didn’t have to go. It wasn’t a priveledge for her to attend that dreadful 16th wedding. Jackie walks around like she is the queen. She is just as a mess as the rest of them. Who the hell cares if Draya was/is a stripper that is her damn business. These women are so damn judgemental especially old ass Imani. These women are just mad that Draya is younger, fly and still has a chance to make something of herself. Laura and her manly self needs to have a damn seat. She chose to lay down and have all those babies and that is why she had to “grow” up so fast. So she mad her own bed not she has to lay in it. BBW miami would never act this way and they were a bit off the chain too. At least they kept it classy (attempted) to anyway. lol. Gloria you are such an instigator. So fast to jump on your sisters bandwagon. And just like someone commented below, she would have never acted that way with Shaunie! She will never ever be on Shaunie’s level. Draya needs to leave asap because these women do not mean her well.

14. SingleMoM9 says:

OMG!!!
    Poor Draya :-( Someone should have warn her about the “Beast” AKA Laura wanting too Whoop her Ass over a “rumor” Laura completely showed No class. As a single mom myself, I would be mortified if my kid saw me beating another female over something so petty.

15. Lyn says:

Draya, keep your head up girl. Those old fuddy duddy hags are nothing but trouble.

16. ANDREA CHILDS says:

Jackie y n the hell r u discussn another woman not comn 2ur dumb ass 16th weddn 2ur husband n bed on ur weddn nite ur daughter is rite u r controlln!!!!!!U CANT CONTROLL EVERY1 OLD LADY

17. dlovely says:

Draya and Malaysia I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!
    Gloria and Laura jump off, groupie sisters!! Gloria, aren’t you a “role model” ? Geez…trading sex for botox from your baby daddy, now that is real role model behavior!! Please go get a job. You are so pathetic!!
    Imani, you are so miserable! I see why that man left you. You talk about Draya so much that it’s sad. Why do you have so much anger, hostility and jealousy towards a 24 year old child under your old a$$? Did your ex try to holla at Draya?
    Jackie..how dare you keep talking about Draya so badly? You are too damn old for that mess. You should be happy with life just like Malaysia. You are married and have a family/ Why are you so mirred down in worrying about Draya. I would not have come to that farce of a 16th wedding either! Draya showed more class and did you a favor by not coming. Maybe Doug might want to holla at Draya too since you looking so worn-out
    Gloria….I hope Draya or some of her friends get your man and Laura’s man, since Laura slept with Shaunie’s LOL!!!!
    Laura…you look like a hog and a bully!! I cannot wait to see somebody whoop your azz, hell I may send Tami a check or buy her some food stamps to do it. I cannot believe that man took your thirsty-looking tail back but it’s cheaper to keep her. So, eveyone knows it’s not love that brought him back.

18. BabyLuv60 says:

Draya, Draya, Draya!!!!! First of all, you are to young to be hanging or trying to hang with these ladies. They see themselves in you from back in their day. This is a part of their lives they have blocked out. You’re young, vibrate and enjoying your life. The ladies hate that because they are wearing masks and can’t take them off because of their so called lifestyles. Malaysia you can relate to Draya because you to me are not fake. Broom Hilda (Gloria) and her sister, Atila the Hon (Laura) came from nothing and gave it up plenty of times to get what they got, whatever that is. Laura you made peace with Malaysia because you know she ain’t no joke and won’t back up off that a$$. Gloria has Matt to provide enough child support for her and the kiddies when she finds out he getting it in elsewhere and leaves him, Laura has NOBODY. She thought S*** was gonna be her man but hey Laura were you his “jump-off” or “groupie?” Gloria, why should Matt buy the cow when he can milk it anytime he wants????? He’s been buying it from you all along. Imani yes you are hurting but life is passing you by, pick yourself up stop having your pity party and “LIVE”. Sometimes I feel like I gave my love to the wrong man but hey I’m living it up day by day. Jackie I admire your marriage but you are the most mature of the group, Draya needs guidance from you. She’s a young girl who has made mistakes, doesn’t have the good life like you guys do. She has made some changes in her way of doing things so please embrace her and be her friend, true friend. She has been outcast because of her past. But with that said I love the show!!!!!

19. Sweets says:

For the record Laura you didnt waste an as_ kicking on Malaysia because you didnt kick her as_ she came with her’s also. And all that smack you talking you didnt talk that to Shaunie who is more women than you will ever be… Oh yeah thought your comment was white is right..see you back doing black HAHAHA

20. Shar says:

Draya: Keep doing you and try not to gossip like the other girls with the exception Malaysia and Jackie…

Jackie: Fan of your ever since you jumped on the court to show how you support your husband at the Lakers vs. Kings game

Malaysia: Like your style

21. vanessa says:

First off I hope these old raggedy ass women read this: Laura was wrong for attacking Draya she had no business doing that. Lord if that was me I would’ve killed Laura dan she’s soo ugly ugghh. Jackie you are so danm insecure you more worried about your danm punk husband then taking care of your grandkids DISGUSTING. I’m pretty sure your husband is having sex with other females you stupid broad. Gloria sit your ass fake gangasta behind down cuz you cannot fight. Imani you’re also dumb. You can sit here and judge other females but you’re dumb behind was engaged for 9 years and never married and your wig looks horrible. Get that crap fixed. Draya and maylasia keep doing you. So far I only respect you two the other angry birds can kick rocks.

22. C.B says:

(Sigh) I agree with the majority of these ladies comments. I for one have entered the sweepstakes to meet and greet these washed up hags with the exception of Draya and Malaysia. I would love to give these women a piece of my mind! Draya, just keep doing what you’re doing and make sure you put you and your son first so you wont give people a reason to talk. The same for Malaysia take care of your family and yourself. It sickens me how people always wanna judge you but have so much !@$% in their own backyard. Get a life!

23. Bente says:

Where do I begin………….. These women are such up tight sexually frustrated haters!!! Malaysia and Draya are the exception. Imani is the biggest hater. She’s mad at Draya for being young sexy and able to date and have fun while Imani is still stuck on her ex and how he hurt her. I could tell from the first episode she was in need of a man. As for Jackie, what the hell is wrong with her? She seems to have a good man and a good marriage. Maybe she just lies the drama. Laura’s obviously frustrated cause she’s fat 4 ids and no man. These women need to stop hating and just enjoy the blessings that they have. And one more thing, Tanya was right to stay out of that fight. Why should she break a nail trying to stop a fight. There’s security for that. Draya and Malaysia are the only real women on that show. Stay strong Draya.

24. Dee says:

Basketball Wenches of L.A.,

Except Malaysia and Draya.
    Imani = Lame, jealous, judgmental, immature, and in desperate need of a new Weave, style, a job & clothes.
    Jackie = Crazy, fake, jealous, immature, and in desperate need of a new Ponytail/hair, style, & clothes. No more husbands or weddings please.
    Laura= Groupie, Winner of Ru Paul’s drag race, husbanizer, jealous, fat, immature, and in desperate need of a shape, style, & a job. Stop having babies for income.
    Gloria = Ex groupie, stupid, fake, & immature Matt please marry her.

The lamest show on television, I can not take it anymore….

25. EW says:

Draya needs to stay away from the bitter angry broads…. She doesnt owe any of them explanations about what she does in her life… Jacki get over yourself… you and draya are not besties so why be angry because she didnt attend your “16th” wedding…. Really? 16th…… At the end of the day each person makes their OWN

26. blackbutterflii says:

sooooooooooo sorry, I take back what I said about Malayasia( however thats spelled) she has been cool with Draya. The rest of those chickens need to get there groove back or something…. better yet try JESUS………………God don’t like alllllllllllllllllllll that ugly!!!!

27. Trace says:

Dang, I thought Laura and Gilbert was once married. That explains alot. The guys they get with do not want to marry them. wow. ARE THESE WOMEN THROWBACKS??? Imani with a man for 9 years, Laura with Gilbert for 10 and Gloria is on her way with someone for a long period of time. What kind of whole model are you for you children?

28. Renee says:

Draya is a nice young lady who, like everyone else have done something that she may not be proud of, but she is not asking anyone for anything. If she strip so what, they make good money and she is taking care of yourself and her son. She have a career and that is all that matters. Imani needs to mind her business, focus on her life and leave Draya alone. Jackie is stupid. Laura insecure, and Gloria need to shut up. Do these women work? What do they do other than talk about Draya. Laura lucky she is not in Baltimore, because she would get her butt whip and sent home.

29. dramafree says:

Jackie is a Coogher undercover lesbian! who really wants draya….maybe for herself and her whimp a hushand!

30. Live and Learn says:

The Baskeball Wives shows are the dumbest shows I’ve have ever seen. No one on the show is a model for young women and if I could shut down this show I would. It is a disgrace to all women and especially women of color. Why are you bullies picking on Draya? Nothing you say or do on the show makes sense to me. What a waste of film!

31. R. Parker says:

I could be wrong but I kind of believe the showdown between Draya and Laura was a setup. Come on now. They invite Draya to compete in kickboxing and she winds up getting mauled by Sasquatch.