Whitney Houston Discusses Jennifer Hudson’s Version Of “I Will Always Love You” In This 2010 Interview

Last night during the Whitney Houston tribute at the Grammy Awards, Jennifer Hudson had the incredibly daunting task of performing a song, “I Will Always Love You,” as a tribute to the woman so closely identified with it. But in this rarely-seen interview with Houston from 2010, she absolutely approved of the way Hudson handles the song and would have been proud of the performance last night. Hudson sang the song to Houston during the 2010 BET Honors and in the clip above, which is part of tonight’s VH1 News special Whitney Houston: Death Of A Diva, Houston discussed the guts it took for Hudson to even attempt it in her presence. (I highly recommend watching the full clip from the BET Honors just for Houston’s proud mama reaction to Hudson. It will choke you up.)

“I was totally impressed first of all,” Whitney says of the performance. “Jennifer comes…and sings ‘I Will Always Love You’ and nobody takes that song and takes a shot at it, nobody does. Everybody is scared of that song, not Jennifer, not Jennifer. She’s got the pipes for it. She’s got the pipes for it. She’s got that big sound. She’s got the gospel for it you know. I was very impressed and I was honored that she came out and sang for me and sang that particular song. Nobody I’ve never heard anybody take a shot at that song and do it.”

This clip and many others are a part of the Whitney Houston: Death Of A Diva special that will air tonight on VH1 at 8 p.m, 9:30 p.m. and 1 a.m. ET/PT.

1. Alvena Golden says:

I Love You Whitney I know all the pearly gates opened when they heard you coming. Your voice i know was needed to lead the Heavenly Choir. I know your karmic debt was paid in full so
    your next Lifetime will be longer and give us another joyful period of appreciating your soulful
    journey on this earth expressed thru one of the most beautiful voices ever heard.You are loved and You will be missed.

May the Blessings Be

2. angela mcdaniel says:

I would like to say that Whitney Houston was a great and phenomenal singer,and actor,her songs put
    Me on stage with her,so when jennifer sang whitney’s song it brung back the same feelings so i knoe that she did a very good job

3. Janet says:

Did every one forget who wrote that song and sang that song in her movie??? People are acting like it is all hers. Give credit where credit is deserved. Dolly Pardon. Yes, she sang it good, but don’t take it to extremes. I have always liked Whitneys voice. She hasn’t done anything in a long time. We only have her passed to talk about, I do remember people dogging her in her attempt to make a come back. Booed her off the stage because she wasn’t the same women, with that great voice. RIP. She is in a better place now.

4. Funmi says:

I like a lot of other people who never met her personally ,feel so connected to her like a family member. We love her, but God loved her more … he is in charge and in control .I’m thankful for the time she was here with us on earth. I’m very,very ,very sad thou ,because I am human… however I know, God knows best!R.I.P. OUR DEAR BEAUTIFUL SONGBIRD ~

5. ericka griffin says:

hate the the way that you are potraying Whitney. When we experience a loss we are supposed to look at the positive not the negative. Whitney gave us maximum years of good music & good vibes. Her down years were minimum. She was & will always be remembered as a beautiful MOTHER, DAUGHTER, & PERSON. Look at the first.

6. Dennis says:

I will never hear the greatest voice of the greatest performer again. You will always be remembered Ms. Whitney Houston. And sing with the angels with all your might!!!

7. Kitana says:

i was impressed!

8. Lynn Dyer says:

WHITNEY YOU WERE AND ALWAYS WILL BE MY FAVORITE FEMALE SINGER…YOUR VOICE BROUGHT PURE JOY WHENEVER I HEARD IT…MAY YOU REST IN HEAVENLY PEACE…LOVE ALWAYS <3

9. Pete says:

Would never have know this was Whitney Houston. It looks nothing like her.

10. Michele Arrington says:

I Love this Lady May God be with her, and her family.