Mailbag: Tough Love Stars Steve And JoAnn Ward Answer YOUR Relationship Questions

Steve and JoAnn Ward are Master Matchmakers, it says so right there in the name of their business. And with years of relationship and matchmaking experience under their belts, not to mention four successful seasons of Tough Love, they’ve set the bar for realistic, no-B.S. dating advice. And now they’re offering their advice to viewers on the VH1 Blog. We asked Tough Love Facebook fans this week to submit their relationship questions and you all really had a lot of them, so we picked some of our favorites for Steve and JoAnn to address, and we’ll be posting their answers every week. If you’d like to submit a question, just become a Facebook fan and leave a comment here! Here are this week’s questions.

Tameeca Owens Keepitreal asks “How do I make a good first impression??”

JoAnn says:
There are five tips you should always remember when meeting a guy for the first time:
1. Smile: Be happy, if you smile, he will likely smile back.
2. Listen: Men notice if you remember something they said earlier.
3. Focus: Be present. Don’t play with your phone. Using your phone on a date is a turn off for anyone.
4. Be positive: Be open and agreeable.
5. Be sexy: To a man this means confident, fun and approachable.

Heather Torres wrote “It seems as if a majority of the men I have been dating have been notorious for the “disappearing act;” things go fabulous for a couple months and all of a sudden things come to a screeching halt and I seem to get the “I’m not ready for anything serious” text message, if they are decent enough to notify me of their change of heart. I am a decent women, with a good job and not emotionally dependent or smothering I like my space so can respect a man’s space. What is it about a man with these tendencies, or what are warning signs I need to look out for?

Steve says: Unfortunately, that is a very circumstantial question and I cannot give a blanket answer that will apply for all women. At the end of the day, you need to realize that you are competing with a lifestyle, and you need to be able to show a man that a life is better with you than without you.

1. LaShaundra says:

I really dont know where to begin,But Ive been single for about a year now,and most of the guys I meet only wants one thing or as my brother says I only like thugs but thats not true,I want a good guy who takes me out on dates and not to bed,But wait I do have to be honest I seem to just accept somethings just to say I have a man,But I dont want to be like that no more just accepting whatever just to say look I have man,Now I meet this guy though a friend and he was everything that I want in a boyfriend but come to find out he has a girlfriend,but we still good friends we never cross then line but we both said if he didnt have a girlfriend I would be his girlfriend,But Im not going to wait around for that,See Im 31 no kids never married came close once and that didnt work THANK GOD,But I dont know what else to do Im on Blackpeoplemeet.com but I havent meet no one yet which I havent been on the site a month yet so I guess I have to wait to see what happens,Im just so ready to get married and have children,I mean my youngest and only brother is married with two kids and our older sister and only sister is married and Im the middle child with no husband and no kids and I just dont know what else to do.Can you give me some advise PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. quantae morris- grant says:

Hi Steve and JoAnn, i have 10 niece and 8 out of ten need help with men. My family is full of women i have 4 sister we are all married and have good long term rellationship i really don’t know what there issue are but i think that the would make great tv. They’re in college 2 are working on their masters, they’re very beautiful women. I think they really need your help we have tried, but to no avil. please help my nieces.

3. nancy says:

hi i would like to know why i havent found the right guy for me sometime i feel like i would never find him and give up on love it self so i would like to ask for your help or

4. Jan Wood says:

Hell I know woman who are looking for a perfect and the right guys. There is no perfect man. I married 25 yrs and when are total opposite’s. I love your show and love what you and your mom does.Woman should try to date men who is respectable have alot of fun. I have dated 10 men in my life and everyone is still friends with me and there wife’s.All were long relationships. I don’t know why I’m telling you all this stuff but maybe the girls could find happiness. With your help I think they will.Tiffany she is a mess. They others need to stop looking for money, good looks rich. If you find the right guy everything comes together.Jan in Dallas ,Tx I have hope for all but not sure about Tiffany.if she can’t stop lying she is dome.Jan In Dallas Tx

5. Mindy says:

Hi Steve and JoAnn,
    I’ve been dating a guy for about a month and everything is going great! We both seem to be on the same wavelength as far as our feelings for one another. I would like to see him more often but at the same time don’t want to seem pushy and scare him away. I’m trying to play the agreeable, fun-loving, interested but not too interested girl- is there a point when this attitude won’t work?

6. Sara says:

My boyfriend and i fight/argue alot its mainly over silly stuff we recently had a huge arguement and i have a feeling hes been cheating on me im not sure about this feeling tho. also he lives like 35to 45 mins from me and i get to see him maybe like 3 times a month is that bad?? also he is always spending time with his guy friends alll the time and i dont mind this but he seems to choose them over me alot i never get time with him :(. Another thing he seems to do things like tell me hes going home and then goes out to a bar or with his friends. i dont understand why. we talk and text on the phone 24/7 . his actions just dont seem to match. am i being paranoid?? please anyone help!!! i need advice!!

7. robbie m says:

why is it that most woman don’t take the time to get to know someone, in-sted of just how they look?

8. Me says:

I think that you and your mom are the absolute best people. I admire you as a man and would jump at the oppurtunity to receive your help. I do realize that the world is use to seeing certain things but have you thought about women that go after the wrong women? If you ever decide to do a tough love lesbian lol I will be doing all that I can to be there. Keep up the GREAT work and i love you so much.

9. Concerned says:

Hello,
    I have a question, why is it that you mainly target women? Do you think men are perfect and they don’t need assistance? It seems like women are the ones with the issue and men are these perfect beings that don’t cheat, steal, lie, emotional issues, mommy issues, etc… I know you have had couples but you seem to target women and its kind of offensive. I am married now for 7 years been with him for 14 years and I know we BOTH have issues. I think a Tough Love show should be for men only and see how you and your mother could help them. I just hope that you don’t think that WOMEN are the ones with the only issues and need help. You should offer boot camp for men as well.
    TY