This season on Couples Therapy, Dr. Jenn Berman helps the entertainment industry’s most infamous couples break through the drama associated with living in the public sphere. Together, they examine the complicated dynamics that relationships face, while working together, as a group, to learn from one another and leave with the tools needed for long term success. Any group therapy scenario is prone to drama, but even more so when celebrities are involved. Check out the five most dramatic moments of this week’s episode!
1. First to arrive are Doug Hutchison and Courtney Stodden who became a tabloid writer’s gold mine when they were married last year. The two have a staggering 35 year age difference, but what really made headlines was that Courtney was only 16 when she married 51-year-old Doug. This week we learned that, while Courtney’s family was supportive of her marriage (and literally had to sign a contract for it to happen) Doug’s family was not. He shares that his entire family has severed ties with him upon hearing his decision to marry Courtney. Doug has sacrificed more than his reputation for this relationship, so hopefully Dr. Jenn can get their marriage on the right track this season. Realizing Doug has been shunned from a family relationship of over 50 years makes you question whether or not their marriage really is a publicity stunt. However, the questions rise back to the surface when cameras reveal Doug has Courtney’s name shaved into his hair.
2. The next couple to arrive are tabloid mogul, Nik Richie, and Shayne Lamas, daughter of Lorenzo Lamas and Season 12 winner of The Bachelor. They met, fell in love, and were married over the course of eight hours in Las Vegas. Flash forward a couple years later, Shayne has requested a separation, but they are trying to work our their issues for the sake of their daughter. For Nik and Shayne, the impulsive behavior that brought them together is now tearing them apart and creating drama in the house. Upon entering the house, Nik states “Our marriage needs to be fixed.” Shayne finds his comment mean (even though it’s the reason they are in the house) and puts a mattress in a corner of their room for Nik to sleep on.
Nik doesn’t appreciate Shayne’s tactics so he pours juice all over the mattress, while simultaneously blaming Shayne for the mess.
3. As soon as Doug and Courtney join the rest of the couples poolside, the drama ensues. JoJo is concerned, as a parent himself, as to how Doug can be with such a young girl. He asks Doug if he has any kids of his own.
Courtney raises her hand and shouts “Me!” and Doug interjects “That’s my child. I’m raising my wife.” Doug and Courtney’s responses fuel what appears to be a constant stream of never-ending drama surrounding their relationship.
4. Nik and Shayne appear visibly uncomfortable by the couple’s response to JoJo’s question, Courtney’s outfit, and her displays of affection toward Doug. And when asked what is bothering them, they are open and honest about their feelings with the group.
Doug defensively responds by asking if Shayne is “high,” prompting Nik to defend his wife by calling Courtney the “trash all over the Internet.” The two men get into each others’ faces until Alex McCord breaks it up by telling them to “chill.” This issue resurface again in therapy and will continue to play out throughout the season.
5. This last moment isn’t as typically dramatic as it is awesome. It’s not often that a therapist is as openly no-nonsense as Dr. Jenn and she makes it very clear by letting the group know:
Looks like we are in for a season full of drama! What were your favorite moments of tonight’s episode? How do you think the fight between Doug and Nik will play out? Leave your answers in the comments section and check back next week for the Top 5 most dramatic moments of episode two!