This season on Couples Therapy, Dr. Jenn Berman helps the entertainment industry’s most infamous couples break through the drama associated with living in the public sphere. Together, they examine the complicated dynamics that relationships face, while working together, as a group, to learn from one another and leave with the tools needed for long term success. Any group therapy scenario is prone to drama, but even more so when celebrities are involved. Check out the five most dramatic moments of this week’s episode!
1. Last week during Doug and Courtney’s private therapy session, Dr. Jenn put a mandatory dress code into effect. The rules were simple: “No bare midriff. No boobs coming out, and crotch appropriately covered.” Simple for everyone…except Courtney. She feels it is unnecessary to conform from her overly sexual garb to the group standard of what attire is appropriate since she doesn’t see how it affects their therapy and their individual marriages, but once Dr. Jenn tells her that if she doesn’t change she and Doug are out of the house, she agrees to go shopping for more “appropriate” clothing. She arrives back at the house wearing white skinny jeans and a turquoise tank top, an outfit that is very modest compared to what we’ve seen her wear thus far. In Doug’s confessional he admits that seeing Courtney dressed this way “felt good because when we go out in public and Courtney is dressed the way she dresses, it comes with a lot of stress because it’s all about the attention. All I want is to feel like I’m her equal. That’s the end game for me.”
It seems like Doug and Courtney have made significant progress. That is, until she shows off her new look to Nik.
He’s very receptive and thanks her for trying to appease the group.
After his seemingly genuine apology, she touches her breasts and makes several flirtatious and sexually suggestive comments to Nik that offend Shayne who then approaches Doug about it.
Doug reacts in his typical manner and walks away as he calls Shayne a “black magic witch.”
2. This week’s group therapy session focuses on childhood experiences and traumas. Revisiting painful memories from the past can help explain a person’s present day behavior and make them aware of what is holding back their relationships. Alex bravely opens up about her relationship with her father. He was “the best” father until she was nine years old and their relationship changed when he tragically developed Alzheimer’s disease.
She remembers finding him, by opening the door to his office trailer, on the day he passed away. Her mother was afraid to take control of the situation by opening the door herself, so Alex tasked herself with doing it. By doing so, she took on adult responsibilities and, in turn, now has issues relinquishing control for fear that terrible things will happen. Dr. Jenn assures her that nothing terrible will happen if she stops trying to control Simon’s behavior and is very hopeful that they can move forward as a couple after realizing the root of Alex’s need for control.
3. The next moment also happened during group therapy, though it’ not as dramatic as it is heartbreaking. Tiny opens up to the group about someone from her past who sexually abused her as a child. Before she begins discussing the situation, she begins to cry.
Luckily, even at a young age she knew this behavior was unacceptable and spoke up about the abuse and never saw the man again, but she often wants to ask him how he could break her trust by hurting her in such a despicable way. Until now, JoJo was the only man who knew her story and he has supported her throughout her struggles.
Her story stuns the group, leaving mostly everyone in, or on the verge of, tears.
Doug tells her how courageous she is as Shayne breaks down as she empathizes with Tiny and imagines how she would feel if someone ever treated her own daughter that way.
We commend Tiny for sharing her story and our heart really goes out to her for what she went through. Hopefully this admission will help Dr. Jenn understand Tiny better and help her and JoJo relationship get back on the path that is so obviously paved with love.
4. Courtney arrives at the house the following day back in her “Courtney wear.” She tells Doug shes “not going to change for anybody” and kisses him. He is taken by surprise and doesn’t ask her to tone it down for fear of her becoming angry with him. He tells her he wishes she would have told him about it before she made the decision because it is, after all, Couples Therapy. She begins her spiel about how she is a crusader for people who don’t have the option of being themselves. For the first time Doug shows that he too wants Courtney to cut the BS and be real by telling her “F*** the people.” She once again starts her anti-bullying speech and he enables her behavior by making light of it by calling her his “rebellious little wife.”
5. As Courtney proudly refers to herself as the “21st century Erin Brockovich,” Dr. Jenn arrives at the house ready to give Courtney a piece of her mind.
As the other house members listen outside the door, Dr. Jenn is flabbergasted that Courtney’s sense of self is so fragile that she couldn’t spend one week (well…it was really one day wasn’t it?) without showing her breasts, abdomen and rear-end. And tells her that by breaking the explicitly clear dress code that she is saying f*** you to Dr. Jenn, the process and everyone else in the house and that she wishes she would say it in words instead of by passive aggressively breaking the rules set the day before.
Doug interjects by asking “What about Erin Brockovich?” and kissing Courtney’s shoulders while Dr. Jenn is speaking. In a bold statement, that surprisingly has taken six episodes to be said, Dr. Jenn tells Doug that he is helping Courtney to “not grow.” Courtney’s unwillingness to accept Dr. Jenn’s rule, forces them to be kicked out of the house.
*Honorable mention to Alex for putting four dollar bills down Courtney’s bikini bottoms amidst the fight with Dr. Jenn, but due to the extreme situations of this week’s episode it did not make the top five.
How did you feel about last night’s episode? Which look did you like better on Courtney? Have we seen the last of Dourtney? How will Dr. Jenn react towards Alex’s bullying of Courtney? Will therapy get back on track now that there are no obvious distractions? Let us know in the comments section and check back next week for the most dramatic moments of episode seven!