“This is what would have happened if I hadn’t become Jay-Z,” said the president of Def Jam Records last night at the taping of our latest Storytellers show. “This is Shawn Carter’s story.” And with that, the veteran MC launched into eight tracks from his upcoming American Gangsta (inspired by the new Denzel Washington movie, but you know that). With a full horn section, a DJ, and his girl Beyonce in the audience singing along to nearly every song, Jigga rocked the new studios that populate the Brooklyn Navy Yards – just a few blocks from his dope-slinging beginnings at the Marcy Projects. Imploring the crowd to “make a party out of it,” Jay tore into the stomping “Pray,” and ended with the already-leaked bonus track “Blue Magic” (hear it legally on Rhapsody). To find out what’s in between, you’ll have to tune in on November 8th.
Check out another shot of Jay at last night’s show after the jump. There’s also a RZA interview about the new movie.
[Images: Jason Kempin/FilmMagic/VH1]
Mariah Carey‘s upcoming album is now as delayed as signs of aging are on her face. But you can’t blame Botox for this one — in fact, it’s hard to know what to blame. It would seem that it’s merely a matter of Mariah taking the time to record the album that she wants to (art, much like love, takes time, didn’t you know?). She’s, in fact, still recording — she recently had a “really hot” session with “someone Miami” (she’s not saying who). Except, instead of using the perfectly valid excuse of that pesky creative process, she’s blaming the delay on…consumerism. Eh? Says Mimi:
“You can’t really put records out in December if you want the whole world to have a chance to actually hear it, [and] my fans all over the world are very important to me.“
How selfless of her! Pay no attention to the fact that more albums sell during the holiday-buying season than any other time of year. You know, she’s only been doing this for 17 years, you can’t really expect her to understand how the music industry works. [MTV News / Image credit: Getty]
Whoops! Lindsay Lohan backed out of hosting her birthday party at Las Vegas club Pure this summer to enroll in rehab, but she had no problem pocketing the $400,000 she was supposedly given for the gig. Now the club is holding her to her word, and she’s stuck hosting a New Year’s Eve party at the joint sober ‘cuz she doesn’t have enough dough to pay them back. So what the hell is our rehabbed diva gonna serve? [Getty]
Brit and K-Fed Forced to Reunite
The pair met for their first parenting class yesterday, and Brit supposedly burst into tears. Don’t worry – it was a happy cry that she’s not Popozao-ing anymore. [TMZ]
Is Lance Bass Feuding with Fiddy?
The boy-bander and the hip hop star are releasing books on the same day and swapped “words” about their dueling tomes. At least 50 will probably win this one. [NYDN]
Diddy Dishes on J. Lo’s Baby
The rapper claims that he’ll be the best god-daddy to J. Lo’s kids, complete with plenty of gifts. No offense Diddy, but we think she’s gonna ask Ben Affleck first. [Us]
Jessica Biel Gets P*ssed at Paps
Er – just who does she think she is (and who do the photogs think she is?) – Britney? someone we actually care about? Puh-lease. [DListed]
Spice Girls Plan Tell-All Film
The gals are planning to release a rock doc that tells the story of the band from creation to the present. We’d rather just watch the “Wannabee” video on repeat for two hours. [JustJared]
As you probably remember from every newspaper article written about America’s declining ethical standards since Lewinskygate, Joe Francis is the man behind the hugely successful Girls Gone Wild franchise. He’s a miraculous entrepreneur who discovered that a crappy handicam, a couple of Jello shots and a pair of breasts (preferably aged 18 to 21) could become an incredibly lucrative platform for establishing a business.
- Erykah Badu‘s range of terrible hairstyles are, at last, collected in one place. Most of these can be explained away by the fact that incense smoke was getting between her and the mirror. [SOULBOUNCE.COM]
- American Idol alum Constantine Mouralis and ’80s teen queen Debbie Gibson are dating. I look forward to the point in their relationship when they start fighting about who has the better career. [Dlisted]
- A minor debate on racism breaks out on The View after the ladies are portrayed as cavewomen. This is just the ghost of Betty Rubble getting back at the world for being depicted by the porcine Rosie O’Donnell. [Best Week Ever]
- Justin Timberlake does a beer shotgun during a tailgate party. That’s what I call preserving your douchey. [CityRag]
- I think it pisses God off if you surf by Fantasia wearing gold lamé on the Internet somewhere and don’t notice it. [Crunk + Disorderly]
[Image credit: Getty]
The web world has been all abuzz lately, twittering about the recent charges of rape brought up against magician David Copperfield by a Seattle woman. She alleges that the attack took place in the Bahamas and the FBI is now investigated. All we know about the guy is that he is all sorts of magical and miraculously managed to hold onto Claudia Schiffer for six years, so Copperfield’s relatively boring background make the deets of the investigation even that much weirder. Here’s what we know so far.
- Investigators raided Copperfield’s Las Vegas warehouse last week and made out with “digital camera equipment” and a hard drive.
- Sources have revealed that the magician supposedly created a system for picking out attractive women from his audience. He uses code words like “mama” with his assistants, who then mark of the female audience member’s location on a map. They are then brought backstage, photographed, and told that David would like to use them in his show if he comes to their town. Then they are asked to name colognes they like and preferred vacation spots. Ewww. Try none and nowhere!
- TMZ reports that one location often mentioned is the Bahamas, which is where the alleged rape took place. Connection?
- Could this mean that the female accuser is one of the women David photographed in his bizarre post-show lady round up?
- Lastly, is your card an ace of spades? [TMZ. Getty]
You know how stars are: if they’re not happy, they jump on the celly with their babysitters and pitch a fit. We thought John Mayer was different – he’s a happy-go-lucky dude, no? But glue some seafaring captain’s whiskers on the side of his face and he gets all precious on you. We think he should sport those sideburns on through the end of ’08. Could bring a bit of gravitas to his artistic persona. This clip (it’s a goof, c’mon) will explain the whole thing.
If you’re a Mayer maven, you probably know that the costume is part of his promo campaign for the Mayercraft Cruise Sweepstakes, where you can win a few days buzzing around the Bahamas with JM himself, and pals such as Colbie Caillat and Brandi Carlile. You relax, they play some tunes, you hang with ‘em on the poopdeck.
We checked out pics of Pete Doherty leaving court today looking all sorts of messed up (and sober, natch) and kinda had to wonder – would we hit it? Probably not, though throw in a couple other seedy options and we might. So in honor of our favorite game Who Would You Rather, we ask YOU dear reader, who would you rather get with? Sober, chunk-faced zit master Pete, the prop-loving monstrosity Carrot top, or this adorable cartoon potato we found using Google Image Search? Our pick has dreamy green eyes! [Getty]
Finally, darling, you have returned to your senses. Oh, Tila, how worried we were that you’d developed neurasthenia, or a mental fugue, or an Adam’s apple! But, as you happily proved to us last night, none of these are the case. You are hale and healthy and still female, and finally (finally!) you are beginning to demonstrate the genius with which you first seduced us. That is to say nothing of your physical beauty. You were resplendent in your Daisy Dukes. You glowed like the dying embers of a once-great dwarf star in your shiny blue Rayon (or was it polyester?) negligee. Your eyes glittered like hard little dusty black marbles when you were assessing your suitors. Each of them failed you, we noticed. Each of them.